Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Have we done the Liam Neeson story today? 12:21 - Feb 5 with 12040 viewsGlasgowBlue

https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/films/news/liam-neeson-rape-bla

What possessed him to even admit this? He must have realised that there would be a backlash against him.

John Barnes has come out in support

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Have we done the Liam Neeson story today? on 12:25 - Feb 5 with 6627 viewschicoazul

It's a difficult one as on the one hand, it can't be that surprising to hear a near-70 yo from County Antrim talk about "black bstards" and he seems very contrite about it, rightly. On the other hand you can see why many people are upset and annoyed about it.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Have we done the Liam Neeson story today? on 12:34 - Feb 5 with 6577 viewsHerbivore

John Barnes comes out with some random sh¡t sometimes. What Liam Neeson said was pretty shocking and it's hard to argue it's not racist, he was targeting someone for a potential violent act on the grounds of their race.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Have we done the Liam Neeson story today? on 12:39 - Feb 5 with 6568 viewsGlasgowBlue

Have we done the Liam Neeson story today? on 12:34 - Feb 5 by Herbivore

John Barnes comes out with some random sh¡t sometimes. What Liam Neeson said was pretty shocking and it's hard to argue it's not racist, he was targeting someone for a potential violent act on the grounds of their race.

I was shocked that the one of the first questions he asked the rape victim was "what colour was he"?

Iron Lion Zion

Have we done the Liam Neeson story today? on 12:51 - Feb 5 with 6505 viewsHerbivore

Have we done the Liam Neeson story today? on 12:39 - Feb 5 by GlasgowBlue

I was shocked that the one of the first questions he asked the rape victim was "what colour was he"?

Yeah, that was particularly jarring and somewhat damning.

Have we done the Liam Neeson story today? on 12:55 - Feb 5 with 6496 viewsLankHenners

Clearly an abhorrent thing to do, and rather odd that he said it at all, though could one not argue that learning from previous behaviour and growing into a better person is what people who want society to improve want?

Thing is Neeson’s shortcut the whole thing by admitting something that happened years ago that no-one knew about - no-one witnessed the fall to accept the redemption.

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.
Poll: What is Celina's problem?

Have we done the Liam Neeson story today? on 12:57 - Feb 5 with 6495 viewsWarkTheWarkITFC

This is all incredibly strange, the admission by Neeson in such detail and the fact that the backlash seems to be focused on the part of all of this that is in some way understandable, rather than the things clearly wrong with it.

Neeson could easily have said he understood the feelings of the character because something terrible once happened to someone he loved and he went out looking for revenge. Ambigious, understandable and it's left there.

The casual way he paired 'black' with 'b*stard' is horrid.

The way he talked about killing someone is horrid.

If he genuinely asked what colour the person was as a first question (rather than just this being part of the overall description) then this is horrid.

There's so much wrong with this.

But the bit that is kind of understandable is that he had a vision of what the perpetrator looked like and hoped to get into an altercation with someone similar because it COULD have been them. It's silly but that person might be the perpetrator. If it was someone of a different colour then it clearly wasn't. Utterly flawed logic but you could understand why someone hurt, probably feeling illogical guilt they didn't protect the person, could make such a leap, as abhorrent as it is.

Clearly it wouldn't have been that person, but if the rapist was white, bald and tattooed, latino, Chinese or a tall ginger bloke, then presumably he'd have wanted to kill some random 'bald, latino, Chinese or ginger b*stard' too on the same illogical basis.

None of this is right by Neeson and it's awful, there is so much racist connotation there, but the fact he was going to seek revenge on any black bloke he came into an argue with, as ridiculous as that is, is slightly more understandable than most of the awful stuff that came with this.
[Post edited 5 Feb 2019 13:02]

Poll: How many points from 18 would Lambert need to have to actually be sacked?
Blog: Ipswich Town and the Rotten Kitchen Cupboards

Have we done the Liam Neeson story today? on 13:01 - Feb 5 with 6465 viewsHerbivore

Have we done the Liam Neeson story today? on 12:57 - Feb 5 by WarkTheWarkITFC

This is all incredibly strange, the admission by Neeson in such detail and the fact that the backlash seems to be focused on the part of all of this that is in some way understandable, rather than the things clearly wrong with it.

Neeson could easily have said he understood the feelings of the character because something terrible once happened to someone he loved and he went out looking for revenge. Ambigious, understandable and it's left there.

If he genuinely asked what colour the person was as a first question (rather than just this being part of the overall description) then this is horrid.

But the bit that is kind of understandable is that he had a vision of what the perpetrator looked like and hoped to get into an altercation with someone similar because it COULD have been them. It's silly but that person might be the perpetrator. If it was someone of a different colour then it clearly wasn't. Utterly flawed logic but you could understand why someone hurt, probably feeling illogical guilt they didn't protect the person, could make such a leap, as abhorrent as it is.

Clearly it wouldn't have been that person, but if the rapist was white, bald and tattooed, latino, Chinese or a tall ginger bloke, then presumably he'd have wanted to kill some random 'bald, latino, Chinese or ginger b*stard' too on the same illogical basis.

None of this is right by Neeson and it's awful, there is so much racist connotation there, but the fact he was going to seek revenge on any black bloke he came into an argue with, as ridiculous as that is, is slightly more understandable than most of the awful stuff that came with this.

Is it though? Why not go after a man, assuming the attacker was male? If he was aged 20-30 why not go looking for any random man aged 20-30? The fact he fixated on race and was willing to harm someone based on their race is racist, there's no real grey area.

Have we done the Liam Neeson story today? on 13:03 - Feb 5 with 6463 viewschicoazul

Have we done the Liam Neeson story today? on 12:57 - Feb 5 by WarkTheWarkITFC

IF, big if, but if this was back home in Antrim in the 70s or 80s which is where and when he grew up, he might have asked if the guy was black simply because there were very very few black men in that part of the world at that time.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Login to get fewer ads

Have we done the Liam Neeson story today? on 13:06 - Feb 5 with 6455 viewsWarkTheWarkITFC

Have we done the Liam Neeson story today? on 13:01 - Feb 5 by Herbivore

Is it though? Why not go after a man, assuming the attacker was male? If he was aged 20-30 why not go looking for any random man aged 20-30? The fact he fixated on race and was willing to harm someone based on their race is racist, there's no real grey area.

Because he clearly went looking for revenge or an outlet for his pain by fixating on someone who shared a similarity to the person who committed the crime.

By this time he'd been told it was a black male. He isn't going to go and look for a random man of any ethnicity is he?

It's completely illogical but perhaps the only thing he knew was the skin colour of the person. Without knowing the crime and how it occurred, you cannot presume the victim had a full description. She may have passed on the little she knew and Neeson ran with it.

It's disgusting I am not disagreeing. The way he's handled speaking about it is too. But on a very basic level you can understand it.

After all, isn't this actually how prejudice works? People have a completely illogical and ridiculous view of people of an ethnicity, nationality etc based on the actions of one person from that background or a small group.

It's why so many decent muslims are victims of abuse. It's not through their actions, but through those of people that share their vague appearance and / or belief.

Have we done the Liam Neeson story today? on 13:07 - Feb 5 with 6446 viewsWarkTheWarkITFC

Have we done the Liam Neeson story today? on 13:03 - Feb 5 by chicoazul

IF, big if, but if this was back home in Antrim in the 70s or 80s which is where and when he grew up, he might have asked if the guy was black simply because there were very very few black men in that part of the world at that time.

Which is another important facet of it.

Again, Neeson has behaved terribly but as you say the difference between seeking out a black person in a small village in Northern Ireland in 1971 and London in 2010 is going to be dramatically different.

Have we done the Liam Neeson story today? on 13:12 - Feb 5 with 6423 viewsJakeITFC

Have we done the Liam Neeson story today? on 12:34 - Feb 5 by Herbivore

Don't think Barnes is arguing against it being racist, but rather that is a racism borne out of external factors.

I think it's a quite remarkable story really - potentially career threatening for Neeson, but a really fragile and honest description of what must have been a very trying time for him. A leap from me, but I don't think somebody who still had racist thoughts like that would be so frank in conversation.
on 13:20 - Feb 5 with 6394 views_

Have we done the Liam Neeson story today? on 13:22 - Feb 5 with 6376 viewsWarkTheWarkITFC

Have we done the Liam Neeson story today? on 13:12 - Feb 5 by JakeITFC

Don't think Barnes is arguing against it being racist, but rather that is a racism borne out of external factors.

I think it's a quite remarkable story really - potentially career threatening for Neeson, but a really fragile and honest description of what must have been a very trying time for him. A leap from me, but I don't think somebody who still had racist thoughts like that would be so frank in conversation.

The other issue here is what if it happened 40 or 50 years ago and Neeson, was at that time, prejudiced, uninformed, naïve and has seen how silly that was.

He may well have quickly realised how ridiculous he was being and has not had a single prejudice thought since then. He may have been very young and ignorant on the subject, growing up in a difficult place at a difficult time with contrasting narratives of what made people good or bad.

Is society saying that someone who was racist or had racist thoughts 40 years ago but then realised the error of their ways, has to always be considered a racist or face risking their career over it?

The backlash is quite incredible really. Understandable there would be a backlash, but this is a historical story of a time when Neeson was deeply traumatised and no consideration can be given for how it then shaped him or what his views are now.

Have we done the Liam Neeson story today? on 13:42 - Feb 5 with 6316 viewsnever_lose_the_faith

Have we done the Liam Neeson story today? on 13:01 - Feb 5 by Herbivore

if a muslim raped your daughter would you go out looking for a white man, no of course you wouldn't, you would be hoping every muslim your did see was the rapist so you could kill him. fecking snowflake melts everywhere these days. his friend got rped by a black person so he was looking for a black person, kinda makes sense too me, and surley actions speak louder than words, if he had gone around actually attacking and killing every black man then yes he would be totally wrong, but he didn't did he, he thought about it. i bet everybody has thought things that might be wrong but as long as they are not acted upon then what can you do.
Have we done the Liam Neeson story today? on 13:48 - Feb 5 with 6277 viewsGlasgowBlue

Have we done the Liam Neeson story today? on 13:42 - Feb 5 by never_lose_the_faith

if a muslim raped your daughter would you go out looking for a white man, no of course you wouldn't, you would be hoping every muslim your did see was the rapist so you could kill him. fecking snowflake melts everywhere these days. his friend got rped by a black person so he was looking for a black person, kinda makes sense too me, and surley actions speak louder than words, if he had gone around actually attacking and killing every black man then yes he would be totally wrong, but he didn't did he, he thought about it. i bet everybody has thought things that might be wrong but as long as they are not acted upon then what can you do.

There is so much wrong with your post.

Iron Lion Zion

Have we done the Liam Neeson story today? on 13:54 - Feb 5 with 6248 viewsJakeITFC

Have we done the Liam Neeson story today? on 13:42 - Feb 5 by never_lose_the_faith

This is quite something.
Have we done the Liam Neeson story today? on 14:01 - Feb 5 with 6224 viewsCoachRob

Scary stuff.
Have we done the Liam Neeson story today? on 14:01 - Feb 5 with 6221 viewsGlasgowBlue

Have we done the Liam Neeson story today? on 13:54 - Feb 5 by JakeITFC

This is quite something.

My first thought was that it's a comedy account trying to get a few bites.

Iron Lion Zion

Have we done the Liam Neeson story today? on 14:05 - Feb 5 with 6205 viewseireblue

“It’s awful. But I did learn a lesson from it...”

Well clearly the moral of him saying it went waaaaaaay over your head.
Have we done the Liam Neeson story today? on 14:07 - Feb 5 with 6190 viewsDanTheMan

Wtf.

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

Have we done the Liam Neeson story today? on 14:08 - Feb 5 with 6181 viewsfooters

Fcking thought police.

footers QC - Prosecution Barrister, Hasketon Law Chambers
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Have we done the Liam Neeson story today? on 14:46 - Feb 5 with 6083 viewsHerbivore

Blimey.

Have we done the Liam Neeson story today? on 14:49 - Feb 5 with 6070 viewsitfcjoe

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

on 14:49 - Feb 5 with 6066 views_

Have we done the Liam Neeson story today? on 15:03 - Feb 5 with 6017 viewsMattinLondon

Have we done the Liam Neeson story today? on 14:01 - Feb 5 by GlasgowBlue

My first thought was that it's a comedy account trying to get a few bites.

That’s what I thought. That post is simply nonsense.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024