Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
40 years aog this week - 1st £1 million footballer 14:36 - Feb 5 with 1346 viewssoupytwist

Interesting article here about the first £1 million footballer, Trevor Francis

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2019/feb/05/trevor-francis-first-1m-player-

The transfer to Forest took place 40 years ago.

I recall attending a game against Forest in I guess 1979 when he played for them and punched the ball into the net at the Churchmans end, thankfully disallowed. I’ve had it in my head that it was his debut for Forest. Can anyone confirm or disprove that?

40 years aog this week - 1st £1 million footballer on 16:55 - Feb 5 with 1232 viewskpblues

You are right it was his debut for Forest.
I remember it because we were chanting what a waste of money!
In his words...
"Another game I remember well was my Forest debut at Ipswich earlier that year although if it was forgettable in terms of the way I played, the Ipswich fans loved it. They didn't stop chanting, "What a waste of money," but something did happen that I'll never forget.

I couldn't reach a cross with my head so I punched the ball into the net, though I didn't get away with it during the game. And afterwards the boss gave me the biggest dressing down of my career. He told me in no uncertain terms that if I was going to play for Forest then I played the game in the right spirit and according to the laws.
[Post edited 5 Feb 2019 16:57]

Poll: Do you want Ipswich to be a city?

40 years aog this week - 1st £1 million footballer on 21:32 - Feb 5 with 1107 viewssoupytwist

40 years aog this week - 1st £1 million footballer on 16:55 - Feb 5 by kpblues

You are right it was his debut for Forest.
I remember it because we were chanting what a waste of money!
In his words...
"Another game I remember well was my Forest debut at Ipswich earlier that year although if it was forgettable in terms of the way I played, the Ipswich fans loved it. They didn't stop chanting, "What a waste of money," but something did happen that I'll never forget.

I couldn't reach a cross with my head so I punched the ball into the net, though I didn't get away with it during the game. And afterwards the boss gave me the biggest dressing down of my career. He told me in no uncertain terms that if I was going to play for Forest then I played the game in the right spirit and according to the laws.
[Post edited 5 Feb 2019 16:57]

Thanks, I'm normally terrible at remembering what actually happened during a game but that one has stuck with me. I was 10 at the time!

I also remember the 'What a waste of money' chants.
40 years aog this week - 1st £1 million footballer on 05:19 - Feb 6 with 1024 viewsCoastalblue

Felt crazy at the time, stupid sum of money for a player!

My memories of seeing him at PR are just how quick he was, he was one of the first players (I was still quite young) that made me double take with his pace.

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.
Poll: If someone promised you promotion next season, would you think

40 years aog this week - 1st £1 million footballer on 07:09 - Feb 6 with 999 viewsBloomBlue

40 years aog this week - 1st £1 million footballer on 05:19 - Feb 6 by Coastalblue

Felt crazy at the time, stupid sum of money for a player!

My memories of seeing him at PR are just how quick he was, he was one of the first players (I was still quite young) that made me double take with his pace.

A fantastic player and one of the main reasons they won the European cup twice. Crazy really when you see where that club came from to win the European cup twice.
40 years aog this week - 1st £1 million footballer on 07:28 - Feb 6 with 988 viewsCoastalblue

40 years aog this week - 1st £1 million footballer on 07:09 - Feb 6 by BloomBlue

A fantastic player and one of the main reasons they won the European cup twice. Crazy really when you see where that club came from to win the European cup twice.

Undoubtedly a fantastic player, him and Shilton were probably Clough's master strokes in creating that great side, but didn't the fee almost double the record?

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.
Poll: If someone promised you promotion next season, would you think

40 years aog this week - 1st £1 million footballer on 11:16 - Feb 6 with 939 viewsBloomBlue

40 years aog this week - 1st £1 million footballer on 07:28 - Feb 6 by Coastalblue

Undoubtedly a fantastic player, him and Shilton were probably Clough's master strokes in creating that great side, but didn't the fee almost double the record?

Correct the previous highest was less than £500k. I think there was also a story that Clough wanted the fee to be £999.999 as he didn't want the £1million fee to go to Francis head.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024