Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
pretty sure I remember someone on here loves east anglian dialects 15:33 - Feb 6 with 1342 viewsgiant_stow

so if they haven't seen this, they might want to have a look: https://www.edp24.co.uk/news/norfolk-dialect-on-twitter-1-5881692

As a londoner, its almost unreadable to my eyes, but enjoy!

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

pretty sure I remember someone on here loves east anglian dialects on 15:37 - Feb 6 with 1307 viewsfooters

Might be me you're thinking of, ulla. Got my Suffolk Dictionary here :)

Very interesting article, thanks! It's a shame so many regional dialects seem to be going out- variety is the spice of life... And every time I head back to Lowestoft I'm surprised to hear the yoof speaking like typical London 'roadmen' - get me, fam?

footers QC - Prosecution Barrister, Hasketon Law Chambers
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

pretty sure I remember someone on here loves east anglian dialects on 15:39 - Feb 6 with 1290 viewsgiant_stow

pretty sure I remember someone on here loves east anglian dialects on 15:37 - Feb 6 by footers

Very interesting article, thanks! It's a shame so many regional dialects seem to be going out- variety is the spice of life... And every time I head back to Lowestoft I'm surprised to hear the yoof speaking like typical London 'roadmen' - get me, fam?

nice one.

I hate the way 'london' is spreading too - people ought to take more pride in where they come from and what makes that place special.

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

pretty sure I remember someone on here loves east anglian dialects on 15:40 - Feb 6 with 1285 viewsfooters

pretty sure I remember someone on here loves east anglian dialects on 15:39 - Feb 6 by giant_stow

nice one.

I hate the way 'london' is spreading too - people ought to take more pride in where they come from and what makes that place special.

Admittedly that can be difficult for us Lowestoftians :)

pretty sure I remember someone on here loves east anglian dialects on 15:42 - Feb 6 with 1278 viewsWhymarkmariner

pretty sure I remember someone on here loves east anglian dialects on 15:37 - Feb 6 by footers

I've seen many episodes of Dr. Who and do you know I didn't realize apart from that funny sound they make when they say "Exterminate" that they had an accent.
pretty sure I remember someone on here loves east anglian dialects on 15:49 - Feb 6 with 1260 viewsSteve_M

From the very end:

Bishy-barney-bee - a ladybird
Pishamire - an ant

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

pretty sure I remember someone on here loves east anglian dialects on 15:52 - Feb 6 with 1253 viewsfooters

pretty sure I remember someone on here loves east anglian dialects on 15:49 - Feb 6 by Steve_M

From the very end:

Bishy-barney-bee - a ladybird
Pishamire - an ant

Those ones are actually common in the Suffolk Dictionary.

Bishop Barnabee etc.

If it's of interest I could post some more :)

pretty sure I remember someone on here loves east anglian dialects on 15:56 - Feb 6 with 1238 viewsCoachRob

pretty sure I remember someone on here loves east anglian dialects on 15:40 - Feb 6 by footers

Admittedly that can be difficult for us Lowestoftians :)

As a fellow Lowestoftian (Trawler Boy) it can be quite funny being asked which country your from by people from Surrey.
pretty sure I remember someone on here loves east anglian dialects on 16:02 - Feb 6 with 1230 viewsSteve_M

pretty sure I remember someone on here loves east anglian dialects on 15:52 - Feb 6 by footers

Those ones are actually common in the Suffolk Dictionary.

Bishop Barnabee etc.

If it's of interest I could post some more :)

Please do.

I'm sure it's been mentioned before but my favourite piece of Suffolk dialect remains "oh the huh".

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Login to get fewer ads

pretty sure I remember someone on here loves east anglian dialects on 16:06 - Feb 6 with 1218 viewsfooters

pretty sure I remember someone on here loves east anglian dialects on 16:02 - Feb 6 by Steve_M

Please do.

I'm sure it's been mentioned before but my favourite piece of Suffolk dialect remains "oh the huh".

Which is what the book I'm referring to is called if anyone is interested - Sloightly on th' Huh! by Charlie Haylock.

I've posted sections from A to C, I think, here before, so I'll just dive in and grab a random selection...

Jumble — A drink composed of equal quantities of stout and ale. ‘A point a’ jumble plees, landlord’.

Kedgy — Active; alert; alive. Also kedge. ‘How dew yew fare?’’Kedgy ‘n’ well, bor.’

Kiddier — A travelling trader who buys and sells farm produce and fowls. Also kidger.

King Harry — The goldfinch.

Knap-kneed — Knock-kneed

Lagarag — An idler

Lapbag — A large pouch used by gleaners for collecting corn off a field after harvesting.
Lark horse — See thrill horse.

Larn — To teach. This is a common dialect phrase in Suffolk and elsewhere, often ridiculed by the ‘educated’, who think it means ‘that will learn you’. In fact it come from an old English word sharing a common origin with modern German lehren.

Lijah — A leg strap worn below the knee by farm labourers.

Ligger — A line with a float and bait, so designed to be left to lie in the water for some time to catch pike.

Long Melford — A long stocking-shaped purse made of soft leather. It is depicted on the village sign.

Lorker — A seagull

Lugsome — Heavy; cumbersome. ‘Cood blaarst. ‘At barr’ll o’ ale fare t’ be hooly lugs’m.’

Maggoty — Pernickety, fastidious. ‘She be too maggoty t’eat stoo ‘n’ dumpl’ns.’

Mardle — (1) A nearby pond, convenient for feeding cattle; (2) To gossip. ‘He hooly mardle bowt all on uss.’

Marn’t — Must not. ‘Yew marn’t goo owtsoide inniss weather, bor.’

Marster — Excellent; the very best. ‘She did a marster job on ‘at ‘air embroydree.’

Maund — A large basket used in fishing or one carried on the chest for broadcasting seed.

Mavis — The song thrush. Also mavish.

Mawther — An adolescent girl, before womanhood; a girlfriend. ‘Oi’ll hatter tell moy lill owd mawther she’ll hatter cumma long wi’ mee.’

It would be interesting to know how many words are still in any active use in the county, but unfortunately I wouldn't be confident of many.

pretty sure I remember someone on here loves east anglian dialects on 16:10 - Feb 6 with 1211 viewsIP12

For thoughts on Suffolk don't forget 'Brian from Melton and his mother Doris' (she's 94 you know).
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024