Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Unsavory twist in the Sala tragedy.. 15:47 - Feb 6 with 6933 viewsKing_of_Portman_Rd

Nantes have 'demanded' payment for the player. Cardiff have apparently withheld the first scheduled payment until they are satisfied with the documentation.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/47146614

I really don't like the wording of it all, but I would have assumed insurance would have been in place to ensure that most of the sum would be covered.
Unsavory twist in the Sala tragedy.. on 15:50 - Feb 6 with 6132 viewsWarkTheWarkITFC

It's horrible to acknowledge that this is probably going to get very ugly before it's resolved and it wouldn't surprise me if it ends with landmark litigation to determine what happens.

It does appear, on the face of it, as though Cardiff should meet the payments agreed in full as the player had signed for them. He was no longer a Nantes player and as such assume that Cardiff have an obligation to make payments accordingly.

It does seem disappointing timing from Nantes. I appreciate it is a lot of money, but given that it's only 2-3 weeks since the tragedy, you would like to think they would have waited a while and exhausted all possible amicable outcomes between the two clubs before having to make such public demands, even if legally they are in the right.

Poll: How many points from 18 would Lambert need to have to actually be sacked?
Blog: Ipswich Town and the Rotten Kitchen Cupboards

Unsavory twist in the Sala tragedy.. on 15:58 - Feb 6 with 6068 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Perfectly acceptable to demand payment.

....however, the timing is the definition of crass!!

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Unsavory twist in the Sala tragedy.. on 16:07 - Feb 6 with 6029 viewsiamipswich

I wondered when this would happen.

Sure Insurance would cover it or clause in the contract relating to Force Majeure etc. which may impact payment.

Can see this one rumbling on for a while.

Poll: Who will return first?

Unsavory twist in the Sala tragedy.. on 16:10 - Feb 6 with 5996 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Unsavory twist in the Sala tragedy.. on 16:07 - Feb 6 by iamipswich

I wondered when this would happen.

Sure Insurance would cover it or clause in the contract relating to Force Majeure etc. which may impact payment.

Can see this one rumbling on for a while.

I dont think Force Mejeure could come into the transfer contract, as it seems the deal had been done.

It may come into the player contract.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Unsavory twist in the Sala tragedy.. on 16:15 - Feb 6 with 5985 viewsReuser_is_God

I really don’t understand the mass public mourning here by Cardiff fans.

Yes it’s an awful tragedy etc but he’s getting the same treatment from Cardiff fans as what you’d expect an actual Cardiff legend to get had they passed.

They have zero emotional attachment to him. Black arm bands, minutes silence & move on.

Evans out
Poll: Are Burgers the new Cheese?

Unsavory twist in the Sala tragedy.. on 16:15 - Feb 6 with 5970 viewsTIB

Unsavory twist in the Sala tragedy.. on 15:58 - Feb 6 by Marshalls_Mullet

Perfectly acceptable to demand payment.

....however, the timing is the definition of crass!!

To be fair, why have Cardiff not made the first "scheduled payment"? It says their checking over things, surely it would be more crass if these checks are to see if there is any way they can get out of paying? Either way, not great to see all of this.

Poll: How much did you actually think Mick would spend in January?

Unsavory twist in the Sala tragedy.. on 16:17 - Feb 6 with 5946 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Unsavory twist in the Sala tragedy.. on 16:15 - Feb 6 by Reuser_is_God

Yes it’s an awful tragedy etc but he’s getting the same treatment from Cardiff fans as what you’d expect an actual Cardiff legend to get had they passed.

They have zero emotional attachment to him. Black arm bands, minutes silence & move on.

What counts as 'mass public mourning'?

I think paying their respects if perfectly OK.

Unsavory twist in the Sala tragedy.. on 16:18 - Feb 6 with 5935 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Unsavory twist in the Sala tragedy.. on 16:15 - Feb 6 by TIB

To be fair, why have Cardiff not made the first "scheduled payment"? It says their checking over things, surely it would be more crass if these checks are to see if there is any way they can get out of paying? Either way, not great to see all of this.

I suspect they are acting in line with their insurers.

Not great from either side, all this should be done behind closed doors.

Arguing over money in public makes any previous club tributes look hollow. (on both sides)
[Post edited 6 Feb 2019 16:18]

Login to get fewer ads

Unsavory twist in the Sala tragedy.. on 16:19 - Feb 6 with 5932 viewsReuser_is_God

Unsavory twist in the Sala tragedy.. on 16:17 - Feb 6 by Marshalls_Mullet

What counts as 'mass public mourning'?

I think paying their respects if perfectly OK.

Singing songs about him, scarfs everywhere, soppy social media posts etc

Just a weird reaction to someone you have no emotional attachment too.

Evans out
Poll: Are Burgers the new Cheese?

Unsavory twist in the Sala tragedy.. on 16:21 - Feb 6 with 5897 viewsSouperJim

Unsavory twist in the Sala tragedy.. on 16:19 - Feb 6 by Reuser_is_God

Preempting the arrival of the grief police I guess.

Poll: Prawn Crackers
Blog: Broken Ipswich

Unsavory twist in the Sala tragedy.. on 16:23 - Feb 6 with 5870 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Unsavory twist in the Sala tragedy.. on 16:19 - Feb 6 by Reuser_is_God

I hadn't seen that.

bit over the top, but whatever makes them happy.

Unsavory twist in the Sala tragedy.. on 16:24 - Feb 6 with 5865 viewsKing_of_Portman_Rd

Unsavory twist in the Sala tragedy.. on 16:18 - Feb 6 by Marshalls_Mullet

Arguing over money in public makes any previous club tributes look hollow. (on both sides)

I can only assume that Nantes are making this public on the recommendation from their legal team.. Otherwise seems rather cold given the timing.

I know that £?million they were supposed to get in the first schedule is a significant sum and Nantes have every right to it.. but you would hope that some sensible thinkers at both Nantes and Cardiff would have been keeping an open dialogue behind closed doors to keep everything moving and ensuring that information like this are not needed for public consumption.. particularly in a tone that will undoubtedly spark huge interest by media publications to theorise and to run with
Unsavory twist in the Sala tragedy.. on 16:27 - Feb 6 with 5825 viewsChampionship

Kind of agree but this is the way of the world now. Wait until Cardiff next play Leicester. You've seen nothing yet.
Unsavory twist in the Sala tragedy.. on 16:27 - Feb 6 with 5819 viewsJakeITFC

Unsavory twist in the Sala tragedy.. on 16:18 - Feb 6 by Marshalls_Mullet

Definitely shouldn’t be done in public, but I don’t think the timing is particularly crass.

Nantes are a going concern, they’ve lost a player that they need to replace.
Unsavory twist in the Sala tragedy.. on 16:29 - Feb 6 with 5808 viewsSouperJim

Unsavory twist in the Sala tragedy.. on 16:24 - Feb 6 by King_of_Portman_Rd

I can only assume that Nantes are making this public on the recommendation from their legal team.. Otherwise seems rather cold given the timing.

I know that £?million they were supposed to get in the first schedule is a significant sum and Nantes have every right to it.. but you would hope that some sensible thinkers at both Nantes and Cardiff would have been keeping an open dialogue behind closed doors to keep everything moving and ensuring that information like this are not needed for public consumption.. particularly in a tone that will undoubtedly spark huge interest by media publications to theorise and to run with

This bit also stuck out for me: "A source at Cardiff says ... Cardiff are "surprised" Nantes have made the demand while attempts are being made to recover a body".

Attempting to weaponise Nantes demand for the agreed payment and paint them as callous, again this reflects poorly on Cardiff imho.

Regardless, the whole thing could rapidly become very ugly and as you say would have been better conducted behind closed doors. Whoever started squeaking to the media first need a long hard look at themselves.

Poll: Prawn Crackers
Blog: Broken Ipswich

Unsavory twist in the Sala tragedy.. on 16:37 - Feb 6 with 5756 viewsmanchego

Unsavory twist in the Sala tragedy.. on 16:27 - Feb 6 by JakeITFC

Definitely shouldn’t be done in public, but I don’t think the timing is particularly crass.

Do they insure players in the event of death ?
Entire teams spend hours and hours on planes so there must be some sort of insurance.
Unsavory twist in the Sala tragedy.. on 16:40 - Feb 6 with 5747 viewsGarv

It's now a competition to see who can be the most respectful.

I feel sorry for the pilot's family to be honest.

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

Unsavory twist in the Sala tragedy.. on 16:43 - Feb 6 with 5720 viewsKing_of_Portman_Rd

Unsavory twist in the Sala tragedy.. on 16:40 - Feb 6 by Garv

It's now a competition to see who can be the most respectful.

I feel sorry for the pilot's family to be honest.

I've not seen anything (I've not been looking in all honesty) but I expect that there have been suggestions of incompetence (or worse) from the pilot doing the rounds
Unsavory twist in the Sala tragedy.. on 17:17 - Feb 6 with 5510 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Unsavory twist in the Sala tragedy.. on 16:27 - Feb 6 by JakeITFC

Transfer window?

Unsavory twist in the Sala tragedy.. on 17:36 - Feb 6 with 5416 viewschicoazul

What do you expect from a club whose name is pronounced "Nonce"

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Unsavory twist in the Sala tragedy.. on 17:49 - Feb 6 with 5361 viewsRyorry

Unsavory twist in the Sala tragedy.. on 16:43 - Feb 6 by King_of_Portman_Rd

I've not seen anything (I've not been looking in all honesty) but I expect that there have been suggestions of incompetence (or worse) from the pilot doing the rounds

Another thing that wasn't very nice was the announcement that "a body" had been seen in the wreckage of the plane that was found, with the apparent presumption that it was Sala. Obviously there'd been 2 people on the plane.

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Unsavory twist in the Sala tragedy.. on 17:53 - Feb 6 with 5347 viewsOxford_Blue

It’s Cardiff’s risk. The player has been transferred when the tragedy took place.

It’s no different to any other player being unable to play for a club who have bought him(whether through injury or death).

As you say, Cardiff should have had insurance in place.

Also, would be interested to see what the position is regarding ongoing liabilities like a pension and death in service. I assume there is a force majeure clause which will release Cardiff from liability to pay his wages for the next few years.
Unsavory twist in the Sala tragedy.. on 18:51 - Feb 6 with 5240 viewsSeablu

Imagine if he'd signed for Liverpool..
Unsavory twist in the Sala tragedy.. on 19:00 - Feb 6 with 5194 viewsPecker

The transfer had gone through I believe, so Cardiff owe the money and should pay.
Unsavory twist in the Sala tragedy.. on 19:05 - Feb 6 with 5183 viewshampstead_blue

I was waiting for this to happen.
My wife asked me about the transfer fee. My thought was the buying club would have 'Key man' insurance.

It's sensitive but a contract is a contract. The negligence could appear to be the route taken by a single prop plane is poor conditions at night.

A great mate is a 777 pilot of 20 years experience. He was furious the pilot took that route in that plane. Should never have happened.

Assumption is to make an ass out of you and me. Those who assume they know you, when they don't are just guessing. Those who assume and insist they know are daft and in denial. Those who assume, insist, and deny the truth are plain stupid. Those who assume, insist, deny the truth and tell YOU they know you (when they don't) have an IQ in the range of 35-49.
Poll: Best Blackpool goal

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024