Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Beat's statue 07:53 - Feb 7 with 4891 viewsbgexile

Mmmmm... this is getting very annoying.
Times are hard and folk are doing their best. It's great that ordinary supporters are chipping in. But what about our friendly corporate supporters?
Our 'caring, sharing' players could have a whip-round and raise that money in minutes. Their wages, even at our level, are a whole world away from the rest of us. Same goes for our 'legends'. If all the Beat's ex-teammates had stuck their hands in their back pockets, this money could have been raised months ago.
[Post edited 7 Feb 2019 7:56]
Beat's statue on 07:55 - Feb 7 with 4224 viewsHerbivore

I doubt many if any of his teammates are well off, footballers' and earnings back then didn't set you up for life like they do now.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Beat's statue on 07:57 - Feb 7 with 4210 viewsbgexile

Beat's statue on 07:55 - Feb 7 by Herbivore

I doubt many if any of his teammates are well off, footballers' and earnings back then didn't set you up for life like they do now.

True for some, yes. Not all though
Beat's statue on 07:58 - Feb 7 with 4208 viewsLimitlessBlue

the club will make up the shortfall once the money has stopped coming in, to be fair even if you disagree wth the statue, if you haven't donated even a couple of quid when you have had the chance then shame on you!

Poll: So 2 wins out of 2 are you now.....

Beat's statue on 08:30 - Feb 7 with 4120 viewsCoastalblue

I would guess that there is fundraising going on to allow ordinary Joes like us make our contributions first and I daresay once it has been running a while there will be some bigger sums declared.

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.
Poll: If someone promised you promotion next season, would you think

Beat's statue on 08:45 - Feb 7 with 4071 viewsGarv

What's the rush?

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

Beat's statue on 08:54 - Feb 7 with 4041 viewsBLUEBEAT

A quid from every ticket sold would pull in the money very quickly.

This way, all attending fans and the club will have contributed.

Poll: W or W

Beat's statue on 09:29 - Feb 7 with 3939 viewsPhilTWTD

Fundraising has hardly started yet so to get to £20,000 already is impressive, plenty of events planned including some aimed at the corporate supporter.
Beat's statue on 09:35 - Feb 7 with 3901 viewsSuperfrans

Beat's statue on 07:57 - Feb 7 by bgexile

True for some, yes. Not all though

Name any of Beat's team-mates who will have a few grand lying about they can easily afford to donate? I can't think of one.

The only players who have been working in football in the past decade are Butcher, Osman, that's about it (unless I'm overlooking someone obvious). And neither of them will have gone to work at places like Newport or Inverness (and are now working for BBC Suffolk) because they are flush.

Poll: What is your voting intention on December 12?
Blog: Dear Martin Samuel...

Login to get fewer ads

Beat's statue on 09:50 - Feb 7 with 3862 viewsPositivelyPortman

Beat's statue on 09:35 - Feb 7 by Superfrans

Name any of Beat's team-mates who will have a few grand lying about they can easily afford to donate? I can't think of one.

The only players who have been working in football in the past decade are Butcher, Osman, that's about it (unless I'm overlooking someone obvious). And neither of them will have gone to work at places like Newport or Inverness (and are now working for BBC Suffolk) because they are flush.

I’m not going to name players, as they may have already donated, but think again about that post.
Who says that it need be “a few grand” in any case?

Poll: Are we happy with the takeover?

Beat's statue on 09:52 - Feb 7 with 3843 viewsitfcjoe

Beat's statue on 09:35 - Feb 7 by Superfrans

Alan Brazil possibly as has a big contract at Talksport, but that must be about it

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Beat's statue on 10:11 - Feb 7 with 3773 viewsbgexile

Beat's statue on 09:50 - Feb 7 by PositivelyPortman

I’m not going to name players, as they may have already donated, but think again about that post.
Who says that it need be “a few grand” in any case?

Agreed.
We're talking about ordinary folk chipping in a FIVER OR A TENNER.
Certain ex-players (ok not all ... agreed) could manage a LOT more than that. That's all. And, yes, some could manage a heck of a lot more.
Beat's statue on 10:18 - Feb 7 with 3762 viewsMeadowlark

Beat's statue on 09:52 - Feb 7 by itfcjoe

Alan Brazil possibly as has a big contract at Talksport, but that must be about it

Not suggesting that they haven't already contributed but Paul Mariner and Russel Osman appear to have media careers with overseas broadcasters. Osman of course already donated his time to a fundraser.
I expect that all his teammates have done their bit. They all seem like good chaps.
I won't hear a word against them!
Beat's statue on 10:21 - Feb 7 with 3744 viewsHarry_Palmer

Beat's statue on 10:11 - Feb 7 by bgexile

Agreed.
We're talking about ordinary folk chipping in a FIVER OR A TENNER.
Certain ex-players (ok not all ... agreed) could manage a LOT more than that. That's all. And, yes, some could manage a heck of a lot more.

How do you know they haven't donated or aren't planning to arrange some fundraising activities themselves?
Beat's statue on 10:21 - Feb 7 with 3745 viewshampstead_blue

Beat's statue on 09:52 - Feb 7 by itfcjoe

he also has a bigger bar tab.

Assumption is to make an ass out of you and me. Those who assume they know you, when they don't are just guessing. Those who assume and insist they know are daft and in denial. Those who assume, insist, and deny the truth are plain stupid. Those who assume, insist, deny the truth and tell YOU they know you (when they don't) have an IQ in the range of 35-49.
Poll: Best Blackpool goal

Beat's statue on 10:30 - Feb 7 with 3725 viewsGuthrum

Beat's statue on 10:21 - Feb 7 by Harry_Palmer

How do you know they haven't donated or aren't planning to arrange some fundraising activities themselves?

Osman's Evening With South West Branch Raises £400 for Beattie Statue 28th Jan 2019 16:19
The South West Branch of the Supporters Club’s evening with Blues legend Russell Osman last Friday raised £400 for The Beat Goes On, the campaign to build a statue of Kevin Beattie, which has now passed the £18,000 mark. 7

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Beat's statue on 10:36 - Feb 7 with 3702 viewsGuthrum

Beat's statue on 08:54 - Feb 7 by BLUEBEAT

A quid from every ticket sold would pull in the money very quickly.

This way, all attending fans and the club will have contributed.

16k attendance, of which 1k are away fans and 10k are ST holders. That's about £5k towards the total.

Beat's statue on 10:41 - Feb 7 with 3689 viewsbgexile

Beat's statue on 10:21 - Feb 7 by Harry_Palmer

Of course I don't know. The, rather simple, point I was trying to make is that the total isn't that huge when you consider what modern players earn... and that there are some ex-players around who ought to able to cough up more than the likes of us. And the club and sponsors could help too.
Beat's statue on 10:45 - Feb 7 with 3671 viewsGuthrum

Beat's statue on 10:41 - Feb 7 by bgexile

Of course I don't know. The, rather simple, point I was trying to make is that the total isn't that huge when you consider what modern players earn... and that there are some ex-players around who ought to able to cough up more than the likes of us. And the club and sponsors could help too.

What does Beattie mean to our current players? Many of them have been at the club for a year or two at most, several will be gone within a similar timeframe. All are too young to have watched him play. Why would they get excited about contributing to a statue?

Beat's statue on 11:24 - Feb 7 with 3591 viewshowdonblue

Quite agree !
Our players should give up some not so hard earned wages !
Beat's statue on 11:27 - Feb 7 with 3580 viewsMattinLondon

Beat's statue on 11:24 - Feb 7 by howdonblue

Quite agree !
Our players should give up some not so hard earned wages !

Why?
Beat's statue on 11:41 - Feb 7 with 3535 viewsHerbivore

Beat's statue on 10:41 - Feb 7 by bgexile

How is what modern players earn relevant to Beat's teammates who were playing 40 years ago?

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Beat's statue on 12:06 - Feb 7 with 3480 viewshowdonblue

Beat's statue on 11:27 - Feb 7 by MattinLondon

Why?

Cos the guys an absolute legend and they should be fxxxxng embarrassed with what they dish up week on week that’s why !
Beat's statue on 12:20 - Feb 7 with 3431 viewsmonty_radio

Beat's statue on 07:55 - Feb 7 by Herbivore

I saw Big Al getting into his car after eating lunch in a modest local shop with cafe attached - he wasn't driving a Porsche.

Blog: Too Many Suspects? – A Swede Ramble

Beat's statue on 12:33 - Feb 7 with 3388 viewsMattinLondon

Beat's statue on 12:06 - Feb 7 by howdonblue

Cos the guys an absolute legend and they should be fxxxxng embarrassed with what they dish up week on week that’s why !

So? He’s a legend to the club and to its fans not to the players. Just because they play for the club it doesn’t mean that they love the club or it’s history. Giving 100% in each game, or trying their best, has got nothing to do with past glories.
Beat's statue on 12:36 - Feb 7 with 3371 viewshowdonblue

Beat's statue on 12:33 - Feb 7 by MattinLondon

So? He’s a legend to the club and to its fans not to the players. Just because they play for the club it doesn’t mean that they love the club or it’s history. Giving 100% in each game, or trying their best, has got nothing to do with past glories.

Their best or 100% ain’t good enough
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024