Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Fiddly little PC question... 21:54 - Feb 7 with 1887 viewssparks

Cant find an answer via google- awkward to know how to describe / search for it.

I routinely copy stacks of music files to assorted USB sticks for the car. I keep getting problems with odd files coming up as unknown and not connected with their relevant albums. Looking at the metadata, it appears that on about 20% of the albums I copy across, the first track (and only the first track) somehow leaves behind / loses its metadata (namely "album" and "artist") in the copying process. Leaving me the task now of going into each individial first track which shows the problem, and adding the metadata back in...

Any ideas why this happens and how to deal with it?!!

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)
Poll: Is Fred drunk this morning?

Fiddly little PC question... on 22:11 - Feb 7 with 1842 viewswkj

What platform are you downloading your music from, does it vary? I have had instances where meta data on IOS media does not get read by non IOS programs.

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

Fiddly little PC question... on 22:11 - Feb 7 with 1841 viewsCoastalblue

If you don't get an answer by the morning, then I won't have one either :)

I do however have on my laptop a free bit of software that will scan the files and repopulate metadata, I'll see if I can find it and pass a link.

My only concern is how it will work if you're missing artist but I'll have a look if you've had nothing and see what it will do, if you're not able to prevent it happening it might save manual entries.

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.
Poll: If someone promised you promotion next season, would you think

Fiddly little PC question... on 22:15 - Feb 7 with 1831 viewssparks

Fiddly little PC question... on 22:11 - Feb 7 by wkj

What platform are you downloading your music from, does it vary? I have had instances where meta data on IOS media does not get read by non IOS programs.

Mostly ripped CDs. All the data is there on my pc - it just loses it when I copy to a USB for the car. As the car uses that metadata to sort stuff, I end up with 20 single track albums by unknown artists at the end of my menu, and the first track missing from 20 albums...

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)

Fiddly little PC question... on 22:23 - Feb 7 with 1811 viewsBloomBlue

Fiddly little PC question... on 22:15 - Feb 7 by sparks

Mostly ripped CDs. All the data is there on my pc - it just loses it when I copy to a USB for the car. As the car uses that metadata to sort stuff, I end up with 20 single track albums by unknown artists at the end of my menu, and the first track missing from 20 albums...

Do you have the same problem if you use the USB in another device other than your car?
Some car systems have clever ways to prevent copying original CD's because of copyright issues, not saying this is connected to your usb issue but if you try it in another system it will possibly help eliminate the root cause, ie does the issue follow the usb
Fiddly little PC question... on 22:28 - Feb 7 with 1808 viewssparks

Fiddly little PC question... on 22:23 - Feb 7 by BloomBlue

Do you have the same problem if you use the USB in another device other than your car?
Some car systems have clever ways to prevent copying original CD's because of copyright issues, not saying this is connected to your usb issue but if you try it in another system it will possibly help eliminate the root cause, ie does the issue follow the usb

No- its not the car. I am looking at the USB stick on my pc and the data is missing on the stick- but not on the originals which are on my hard drive.

Fiddly little PC question... on 22:32 - Feb 7 with 1803 viewswkj

Fiddly little PC question... on 22:28 - Feb 7 by sparks

No- its not the car. I am looking at the USB stick on my pc and the data is missing on the stick- but not on the originals which are on my hard drive.

Have you used the same program to rip the cds consistently? I am wandering if the metadata might be getting stored on a hidden file, much like items in the recycle bin create a hidden $I file with the associated file containing its metadata and disc location (the $I file gets detroyed when the file is hard deleted)

I have never come across this before with a music rip though.

Crybaby

Fiddly little PC question... on 22:33 - Feb 7 with 1797 viewssparks

Fiddly little PC question... on 22:32 - Feb 7 by wkj

Have you used the same program to rip the cds consistently? I am wandering if the metadata might be getting stored on a hidden file, much like items in the recycle bin create a hidden $I file with the associated file containing its metadata and disc location (the $I file gets detroyed when the file is hard deleted)

As I say- the rip is fine. Its only when I drag and drop the folders onto the USB stick later that the problem arises.

Fiddly little PC question... on 22:36 - Feb 7 with 1788 viewswkj

Fiddly little PC question... on 22:33 - Feb 7 by sparks

As I say- the rip is fine. Its only when I drag and drop the folders onto the USB stick later that the problem arises.

If the ripping software is creating a hidden index file with the metadata (like my $I example), that might be why it isn't copying over to the USB is what I was implying, unlikely, but the 20% mark lead me to think it could be the case if you used different ripping software for various CDs.
[Post edited 7 Feb 2019 22:37]

Crybaby

Login to get fewer ads

Fiddly little PC question... on 22:37 - Feb 7 with 1782 viewsBloomBlue

Fiddly little PC question... on 22:32 - Feb 7 by wkj

And you're tried reformatting the usb stick ?
Fiddly little PC question... on 22:38 - Feb 7 with 1778 viewssparks

Fiddly little PC question... on 22:36 - Feb 7 by wkj

If the ripping software is creating a hidden index file with the metadata (like my $I example), that might be why it isn't copying over to the USB is what I was implying, unlikely, but the 20% mark lead me to think it could be the case if you used different ripping software for various CDs.
[Post edited 7 Feb 2019 22:37]

All ripped through windows media player. I had thought maybe it was just a glitch from copying lots of files at once, so have taken to doing one folder at a time- but no improvement!

Fiddly little PC question... on 22:40 - Feb 7 with 1772 viewswkj

Fiddly little PC question... on 22:38 - Feb 7 by sparks

All ripped through windows media player. I had thought maybe it was just a glitch from copying lots of files at once, so have taken to doing one folder at a time- but no improvement!

Asking a colleague on slack about this and she mentioned maybe running a tag program on your media (even if it has meta tags, it can clean them up)

https://www.mp3tag.de/en/

She linked this, but I have no hands on experience myself
[Post edited 7 Feb 2019 22:42]

Crybaby

Fiddly little PC question... on 22:45 - Feb 7 with 1761 viewssparks

Fiddly little PC question... on 22:40 - Feb 7 by wkj

Asking a colleague on slack about this and she mentioned maybe running a tag program on your media (even if it has meta tags, it can clean them up)

https://www.mp3tag.de/en/

She linked this, but I have no hands on experience myself
[Post edited 7 Feb 2019 22:42]

Ta. Ill have a look.

on 08:04 - Feb 8 with 1615 views_

Fiddly little PC question... on 09:35 - Feb 8 with 1557 viewsDeano69

Possibly an Anti-Virus issue?

Have you tried copying a few of those that go across incorrect individually to see if its just when you copy loads?

Try the copy to another temporary folder on the hard drive (rather than USB, still get the same issue?

Just tried copy a few dozen tracks to a USB on my PC, seems to go ok.

Poll: What view setting do you use for TWTD

Fiddly little PC question... on 11:33 - Feb 8 with 1510 viewsNo9

Copyright infringement?
Fiddly little PC question... on 11:41 - Feb 8 with 1503 viewswkj

Fiddly little PC question... on 11:33 - Feb 8 by No9

Copyright infringement?

DRM should not apply as it is legal to own a digital copy/backup

Crybaby

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024