Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Golf 10:38 - Feb 8 with 3087 viewsGooders7592

Just wondering if any of you are keen Golfers? Did you have lessons, and if so how many to begin with? Best course in the area for visitors & beginners (and cheapest)? How many times do you play a week?
Golf on 10:51 - Feb 8 with 3055 viewshatch

Started playing as a kid at Stonham Barns - no idea if it's still there.

Great to get into for the social side and a sport you can keep playing when you're old and decrepit.

Golf is not really like learning to drive - the best players still have lessons as it is the hardest sport to perfect. Maybe start off with 5 lessons to get into it and see how you're finding it.

I'd recommend starting in Spring time as the weather's great and if you're playing crap it's not compounded by sh*t weather.

In terms of which course to visit - depends on where you live. Ufford Park is one of the better driving ranges in the region and has a good training school. There are a few golf clubs that have 9 holes separate to their main 18 - these are perfect for beginners. Examples are Felixstowe Ferry, Woodbridge and Aldeburgh. They're usually a lot cheaper too.
Golf on 12:08 - Feb 8 with 3009 viewsReuser_is_God

I've just started playing again recently having not picked up a club for 12 years between ages 15-27.

Not had any lessons as of yet but I've been playing on the 9 hole at Felixstowe which is really good. 36 par so good mix of holes.

https://www.felixstowegolf.co.uk/the_kingsfleet_course

£20 & you can go round as many times as you want that day.

Evans out
Poll: Are Burgers the new Cheese?

Golf on 12:26 - Feb 8 with 2990 viewsElephantintheRoom

I took it up late when a quality course became available free on a corporate membership - which also meant I could learn with my kids. It was kind of handy to play golf as a business perk. I was and never have been much interested in golf and playing it with others of varying (and inevitably much better) abilities confirmed my prejudices. Just about everybody gets very frustrated as the capacity for error is huge. I used to be thrilled to hit the green. My playing companions would rage if they were 6 feet from where they hoped to be. If the course is crowded you are invariably playing through (and fouling up). I played once a week for business and once a week with my kids. Eventually I got fed up and there are three sets of golf clubs gathering dust in the garage,. I can offer you this advice:

Take lessons - the sooner the better. It's very easy to develop faults. Even somewhere like American Golf have half decent pros - you don't need to join a club.

Practice LOTS. You can do this in a stubble field or a sports ground if nobody is around. Hitting on real ground seems to be very different from golf ranges.

Don't spend a fortune on clubs - and don't think buying better or 'this years' clubs will make you better. Practice.

Don't get obsessed with distance. Accuracy is far more important

Take up fly fishing instead. Its far more skillful and relaxing. Golf really is a good walk ruined. It was fine when it was free - but not really worth paying for in my humble opinion

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

Golf on 12:31 - Feb 8 with 2983 viewsIllinoisblue

Used to play 10 times a year and was always annoyed and frustrated couldn’t get better. Took a series of lessons, improved a little bit (especially around putting) but now don’t have time to play more than 2 or 3 times a year. So have accepted the fact it’s a good excuse to have a few drinks and shoot the s5it with mates.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Golf on 12:34 - Feb 8 with 2975 viewsTractorWood

Started when I was 12/13. Got down to 2 handicap when I was 17/18 from just playing basically every day. Had about 2 lessons in my life and ignored both of them.

Gradually got worse as I played less, now play a couple of times a year and am not a member of a club as have to pay £800 ish per year to not play. Can still knock it round in under 80 though if my putter behaves itself.

I know that was then, but it could be again..
Poll: At present who do you think you'll vote for?

Golf on 13:00 - Feb 8 with 2934 viewsSaleAway

Very part time golfer here. I picked up a starter set about 20 years ago when I was coming out of uni... played on and off since then.

Didn't have any lessons, but in hindsight probably should have.

Don't waste money on club upgrades, use the money to pay for lessons and practice.

If you're joining a club, check if it has good practice facilities ( a pitching/chipping area, as well as a putting green). YOu'll gain way more from practicing from 50 yards than you will on a driving range.

Poll: Which is less impressive?
Blog: Phoenix From the Flames

Golf on 13:04 - Feb 8 with 2924 viewsSaleAway

Golf on 13:00 - Feb 8 by SaleAway

Very part time golfer here. I picked up a starter set about 20 years ago when I was coming out of uni... played on and off since then.

Didn't have any lessons, but in hindsight probably should have.

Don't waste money on club upgrades, use the money to pay for lessons and practice.

If you're joining a club, check if it has good practice facilities ( a pitching/chipping area, as well as a putting green). YOu'll gain way more from practicing from 50 yards than you will on a driving range.

oh and one more thing - look around at clubs for flexible membership options... a lot more clubs offer decent deals for 'part time' golfers who can't justify a full member.... there's one near me , Styal, where they do a thing called 'points for golf' where you pay a fixed fee ( about 200 quid), which gets you points to spend on rounds, driving range etc. if you end up spending them all , you can buy more, but to all intents and purposes you are a full member. So you can enter comps, get a handicap etc. Its a lot better than forking out 70 or 80 quid a month, if you're only going to play for a couple of months in the summer.

Poll: Which is less impressive?
Blog: Phoenix From the Flames

Golf on 13:41 - Feb 8 with 2870 viewsnever_lose_the_faith

hi ,welcome to the most frustrating sport in the world!
i started playing at about 10 and am 35 now, so i have struggled with the game for a while now, i play of 12 but i was that handicap when i was 15. i have hit the wall big time.
i would definatly get lessons at the start, just so you have something to fall back on and not build up any nasty habits as they creep in alot. my biggest advice of all is just enjoy it!!
i play with some first timers and they seem to think that they should be like tiger woods, and get so frustrated and angry.
just enjoy the day out with friends, you will hit some good shots and plenty of bad, but just remember, does it matter, as long as you are enjoying it that is all that counts. Aldeburgh 9 hole is very good for beginners, and actually a good course.
p.s. i know it can be boring but if you want to get to a half decent standard then i really would try to practice at leat once a week.
im very fortunate at the moment i nstalled a skytrak golf sim in my garage, so i practice alot and it has changed my game. Since i got it i have improved by about 4-5 shots a round, and that is purley down to muscle memory from swinging a club most days. anyway sorry for the long reply. pm me if you are ever looking for a game as i am always up for eeting new people and having a game. take care mate and lets hope sunday is an enjoyable day.
Login to get fewer ads

Golf on 15:28 - Feb 8 with 2809 viewsGooders7592

Thanks for the help. It sounds as if a few lessons to start with then get out and have a go (and hope for the best).

What are the best clubs/courses in Suffolk, Norfolk & Cambridgeshire? Big area but intrigued to hear from others about where to play.
Golf on 16:19 - Feb 8 with 2784 viewsTractorWood

Golf on 15:28 - Feb 8 by Gooders7592

Thanks for the help. It sounds as if a few lessons to start with then get out and have a go (and hope for the best).

What are the best clubs/courses in Suffolk, Norfolk & Cambridgeshire? Big area but intrigued to hear from others about where to play.

My thoughts (in no particular order)

Best in terms of quality:
Brancaster (Royal West Norfolk) - mean to be excellent but think it's two balls only
Kings Lynn - diffilcut as it's very tight but excellent all year round
Aldeburgh - difficult to get on and very stuck up. Painfully difficult but it's a fantastic course.
Thorpeness - not played it but meant to be excellent
Purdis - classic Braid heathland track. I think it's got a lot better in recent decades
Hunstanton/Sheringham - again meant to be excellent but not played them

Best in terms of value:
Thetford - very good quality and really cheap off peak
Royal Cromer - wow this is an excellent course and very cheap off peak/twilight for what you are getting. Weather can be rancid though
Newmarket - can have decent deals in the Spring for twilight. Usually deserted whenever I've been there.

Of the rest:
Stowmarket/Bury/Hintlesham/Felixstowe - all very playable but not great value

In terms of Cambridgeshire, there's not a great deal of decent courses outside of the Gogs. I've not played either of the courses but the Old is meant to be decent. Think it's very busy and quite expensive though.

I know that was then, but it could be again..
Poll: At present who do you think you'll vote for?

Golf on 16:28 - Feb 8 with 2774 viewsReuser_is_God

Golf on 12:26 - Feb 8 by ElephantintheRoom

I took it up late when a quality course became available free on a corporate membership - which also meant I could learn with my kids. It was kind of handy to play golf as a business perk. I was and never have been much interested in golf and playing it with others of varying (and inevitably much better) abilities confirmed my prejudices. Just about everybody gets very frustrated as the capacity for error is huge. I used to be thrilled to hit the green. My playing companions would rage if they were 6 feet from where they hoped to be. If the course is crowded you are invariably playing through (and fouling up). I played once a week for business and once a week with my kids. Eventually I got fed up and there are three sets of golf clubs gathering dust in the garage,. I can offer you this advice:

Take lessons - the sooner the better. It's very easy to develop faults. Even somewhere like American Golf have half decent pros - you don't need to join a club.

Practice LOTS. You can do this in a stubble field or a sports ground if nobody is around. Hitting on real ground seems to be very different from golf ranges.

Don't spend a fortune on clubs - and don't think buying better or 'this years' clubs will make you better. Practice.

Don't get obsessed with distance. Accuracy is far more important

Take up fly fishing instead. Its far more skillful and relaxing. Golf really is a good walk ruined. It was fine when it was free - but not really worth paying for in my humble opinion

'Practice LOTS. You can do this in a stubble field or a sports ground if nobody is around. Hitting on real ground seems to be very different from golf ranges.'

Agree with this. Do you know of any clubs in Ipswich which has a real ground practice area you can just tip up at?

Evans out
Poll: Are Burgers the new Cheese?

Golf on 16:36 - Feb 8 with 2767 viewsJakeITFC

Golf on 16:28 - Feb 8 by Reuser_is_God

'Practice LOTS. You can do this in a stubble field or a sports ground if nobody is around. Hitting on real ground seems to be very different from golf ranges.'

Agree with this. Do you know of any clubs in Ipswich which has a real ground practice area you can just tip up at?

Driving range at Felixstowe has a few bays on the turf, don’t know of anywhere else.
Golf on 16:38 - Feb 8 with 2761 viewshatch

Golf on 16:36 - Feb 8 by JakeITFC

Driving range at Felixstowe has a few bays on the turf, don’t know of anywhere else.

Woodbridge and Aldeburgh too.
Golf on 18:13 - Feb 8 with 2723 viewsBlueForYou

Similar to Tractor Wood. I played at relatively early age & had the time in those days to practise & get down to 4 handicap. Havent played regularly for a huge amount of years but do so occasionally & work on my game regularly at any driving range which is convenient.

I'm not a member anywhere but am considering buying a points type membership as its good value when you dont get to play much & as I know my way around the game it will work for me.

I'd agree on equipment, just get some 2nd hand stuff, there's some great stuff on offer from some Golf shops at a total steal. Learn the basics, thats really important, I mean grip, stance, posture, & a simple back & through swing thought & keep the head still.

Golf doesnt have to be complicated, but it can become THE most complicated game. A lot of it is in the head! But enjoy it, its nowhere near as stuffy as it was, although there are a few of those places left. Cant comment on Suffolk courses these days as I live in Hampshire, but from the web I think theres plenty of options. Good luck!
Golf on 18:16 - Feb 8 with 2715 viewsstrikalite

Golf on 12:34 - Feb 8 by TractorWood

Started when I was 12/13. Got down to 2 handicap when I was 17/18 from just playing basically every day. Had about 2 lessons in my life and ignored both of them.

Gradually got worse as I played less, now play a couple of times a year and am not a member of a club as have to pay £800 ish per year to not play. Can still knock it round in under 80 though if my putter behaves itself.

Wow, you have my respect, I started playing late at 20, managed to get down to 10, but down to single figures and being able to play to it takes a lot of ability, time too of course but Christ I used to hit golf balls in the dark and still got nowhere near being good enough..

To the OP, my biggest regret was picking up a club before I had any lessons, because you ingrain bad habits which are very hard to undo when you want to improve, unless you're a complete natural(even then your swing will always need work, top pro's are always working on it remember)then spend your money on lessons and decent second hand clubs too, some absolute bargains out there in the second hand rack of the Pro shop..

I had my first lesson about 3 years from when i picked up a club, I thought my swing was decent....then the Pro filmed my swing and my god it was a huge wake up call, I could see what i needed to change, but boy that's hard to do once muscle memory has set in and you're used to doing something.....so take lessons and learn to do it right from the off!
Golf on 19:09 - Feb 8 with 2692 viewslazyblue

I love golf and been playing since 15 and now mid(to late) 40s and reached 11handicap now but Christ I can play anything from 11 over to mid 20s over and play in the Ipswich town golf days which are great.

Have lessons from the start and get decent second hand clubs and don’t give up as it’s always frustrating but good social fun.
Golf on 20:01 - May 20 with 1496 viewsMercury1989

Golf on 18:13 - Feb 8 by BlueForYou

Similar to Tractor Wood. I played at relatively early age & had the time in those days to practise & get down to 4 handicap. Havent played regularly for a huge amount of years but do so occasionally & work on my game regularly at any driving range which is convenient.

I'm not a member anywhere but am considering buying a points type membership as its good value when you dont get to play much & as I know my way around the game it will work for me.

I'd agree on equipment, just get some 2nd hand stuff, there's some great stuff on offer from some Golf shops at a total steal. Learn the basics, thats really important, I mean grip, stance, posture, & a simple back & through swing thought & keep the head still.

Golf doesnt have to be complicated, but it can become THE most complicated game. A lot of it is in the head! But enjoy it, its nowhere near as stuffy as it was, although there are a few of those places left. Cant comment on Suffolk courses these days as I live in Hampshire, but from the web I think theres plenty of options. Good luck!

I've been playing golf for five years and I just love Golf. Most often I play with my friends on weekends in the country we play in a beautiful club called Deegan's Dozen. Some great clubs in the continental United States (Hawaii wasn't included) didn't make the cut: Sebonack, Colorado Golf Club (site of 2013 Solheim Cup), Trump National Golf Club Bedminster (site of 2017 U.S. Women's Open, 2022 PGA Championship), Ballyneal Golf & Hunt Club and Liberty National (site of the 2017 President's Cup) are just a few of the more famous examples. I can also play Golf on normal days from Monday to Friday with my family in the city on a private course where there are several Golf holes and beautiful artificial grass. But now all clubs are closed so I just enter https://www.windtreegolf.com/ the forum Windtree Golf to at least talk about golf.
[Post edited 26 May 2020 22:41]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024