Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
A little bit of training goes a long way 21:12 - Feb 8 with 717 viewsPendejo

I have bored you all before with tales of my offspring, especially the youngest (YO) who is a Met Police Volunteer Cadet.

Today she used the first aid skills that she has acquired and very possibly saved someone's life. Fate also plays a part.

She was released from school early as she was unwell. Whilst walking home a cyclist misjudged a right turn from a main road into a side road and ended up bouncing across someone's car bonnet and hitting his head in the road.

YO sprang into action running to the scene of the collision and set about exercising what she's been taught: asking the person their name, talking to them, recognising and acting on the signs of shock and concussion, making the person comfortable and safe (recovery position, checking airways etc.)

When a paramedic arrived on the scene, they let her continue assisting until ambulance arrived. She said the bystanders gave her a round of applause and the medics and police gave her praise. The police asked her where she got her training and were really impressed that it was with police cadets, promising to give feedback to her sergeant.

If she had not been sent home sick, she would not have been in that place at that time. Maybe medics would have got there in time, maybe someone else would have administered first aid. She said the fella was going purple and choking at one stage, so I think chances are she saved his life.

Funny really as on my way home from work there was an article on the radio about how bad out borough, Lewisham, is; gangs, knives, scooter scrum and highest level of school exclusions in London. Wonder if this good news story makes it into press?

uberima fides
Poll: Start a new job tomorrow - which suit?

A little bit of training goes a long way on 23:03 - Feb 8 with 651 viewsfabian_illness

Lovely story, should definitely make the news, you must be a proud dad.
A little bit of training goes a long way on 23:57 - Feb 8 with 612 viewsSibelius8

Lovely to hear of this. Well done your youngest. Be proud!
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024