Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Just so I’m clear, for some... 07:20 - Feb 11 with 19276 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Our previous previous manager, who achieved 4 top half finishes in 5 seasons, is hated for swearing at our fans whilst overseeing a 1-1 draw at Norwich last season

Our current manager, who has achieved 12 losses in 17 games, is a hero for getting himself sent off whilst overseeing our 3rd heaviest ever derby defeat

Have I got that right?

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

Just so I’m clear, for some... on 09:18 - Feb 11 with 4404 viewsSamWhiteUK

You seem to be forgetting, as well, that our "previous previous manager"'s team went and threw it away in the last minute and made him look even more of a dick than he had himself
Just so I’m clear, for some... on 09:27 - Feb 11 with 4388 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

I quite like both of them!

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

Just so I’m clear, for some... on 09:33 - Feb 11 with 4365 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Just so I’m clear, for some... on 09:18 - Feb 11 by SamWhiteUK

You seem to be forgetting, as well, that our "previous previous manager"'s team went and threw it away in the last minute and made him look even more of a dick than he had himself

Oh for those heady days of having leads to throw away

Just so I’m clear, for some... on 09:35 - Feb 11 with 4363 viewslondontractorboy57

Just so I’m clear, for some... on 08:43 - Feb 11 by GlasgowBlue

Mick did a fantastic job for us. He not only saved us from relegation but got us punching above our weight in terms of challenging for the play offs.

Mick telling the fans to “fcuk off” at Norwich last season was just another example that the relationship between fans and manager had irreconcilably broken down. The atmosphere between fans and manager had become so poisonous that had Mick stayed it is likely that season ticket sales would have fallen to seven or eight thousand. From a footballing perspective the club was stagnating. We may well have stayed in this division fir a season or two more but it would have been like living in some kind of football purgatory. It was time for Mick to leave. New fresh ideas were needed and the playing style had to change.

Mick should have been allowed to see out the remainder of the season rather than be continually abused by the fans once he and Evans had announced he was leaving. He should have been given the send off he deserved on the last day of the season and left with the thanks of the fans and his head held high.

A young up and coming manager with a proven track record was appointed and in the majority this approach was supported by the fans. The new manager sold one of the best centre backs in the division and our best two strikers in Garner and Waghorn. He replaced the strikers with young league one players who, though in time I believe they will come good, are simply not up to the job of playing in the championship. He brought in a glut of loanees who were no better than the young players we already have. He also lacked the man magenent skills needed to manage players like Bart who were clearly a step up from the level of player he had previously managed. Also, alsongside his assistant manager, he created an atmosphere of bullying and chaos and it reached the stage where he had to go before they did even more damage on and off the pitch.

Lambert has come in and tried to turn things around. He has certainly improved the quality of football but the fact remains that as well as we knock the ball about, we can neither defend or score which means we will win very few football matches. This is down to the previous manager.

He has attempted to improve the squad in the January window but it appears obvious that Evans was not prepared to invest sufficient funds for us to turn this around. Even the loan targets Lambert identified were reluctant to come to a club looking at dropping out if the division.

Paul Lambert’s actions yesterday shows that he cares about the job he is doing, cares about the players he was defending and cares about the club. He showed the sort if passion that is desperately lacking in the players we have. A streak of nastiness that could be the difference between bullying better teams or rolling over and getting beaten.

Paul Lambert deserves our support and I hope he is here next season cone what May.

What makes you think S/T sales will not drop to 8k-9k next year in division1?
Just so I’m clear, for some... on 09:37 - Feb 11 with 4358 viewstpsontour

Just so I’m clear, for some... on 09:15 - Feb 11 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

He’s had 4 clubs as he’s averaged 4 and a half years at each of them, and spent another 6 and a half years managing an international side

When I spend my time and money travelling all over the country to watch my team, I much prefer a manager who wins football matches. Mick was rather good at doing that. Hurst wasn't. And Lambert isn't doing any better so far. And yet a significant number of our fans, who can't admit they've contributed to the club being re-set to 1957 and third tier football, where we will languish for an unknown number of seasons after 17 in the Championship, are in a parallel universe where Mick was the anti-Christ and Lambert is our saviour.

Wins
2012-13: 16 Jewell 1, McCarthy 15
2013-14: 18 McCarthy
2014-15: 22 McCarthy
2015-16: 18 McCarthy
2016-17: 13 McCarthy
2017-18: 17 McCarthy 16, Klug 1

2018-19: [3] Hurst 1, Lambert 2
Just so I’m clear, for some... on 10:49 - Feb 11 with 4297 viewsHarryWright

Can you please stop bringing Mick up? it's getting boring now, move on and don't make things up to suit your agenda.
Just so I’m clear, for some... on 10:55 - Feb 11 with 4293 viewsFrimleyBlue

The reasons why Lambert doesn't get any grief is the fact he had to take 'this' Ipswich team to Top of the table and league top goal scorers Norwich City and although we came away conceding 3 goals, there was actually lot of fight, some great football and we took the game to them, unfortunately the difference in squads was the difference between 3 or 0 points.

Mick had the squad to compete with others in the league, in 'that' game, he had spent months moaning at the fans, and finished it off with a FK OFF to them all too.

Lambert however feels our pain, but there is nothing, literally nothing he can do about the squad he inherited.

That my friend is the difference.

Waka waka eh eh
Poll: We've had Kuqi v Pablo.. so Broadhead or Celina?
Blog: Marcus Evans Needs Our Support Not to Be Hounded Out

Just so I’m clear, for some... on 10:56 - Feb 11 with 4288 viewsNo9

YAWN!
Login to get fewer ads

Just so I’m clear, for some... on 11:04 - Feb 11 with 4274 viewsZedRodgers

He didn't just oversee our 3rd heaviest derby defeat.

He oversaw our 1st, 2nd and 3rd heaviest derby defeats.

I disagree with OP suggestion that he has hero status after yesterday (or that Mick is hated *just* for swearing at our fans), but I am still content with our future under Lambert.

No, not at the moment

Just so I’m clear, for some... on 11:36 - Feb 11 with 4241 viewsRyorry

Just so I’m clear, for some... on 11:04 - Feb 11 by ZedRodgers

I disagree with OP suggestion that he has hero status after yesterday (or that Mick is hated *just* for swearing at our fans), but I am still content with our future under Lambert.

Haha, neat point (if you mean what I think you meant).

Agree with your last para too.

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Just so I’m clear, for some... on 11:37 - Feb 11 with 4236 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Just so I’m clear, for some... on 11:04 - Feb 11 by ZedRodgers

I never said that it was just for yesterday

Good point re the 3 heaviest defeats

Just so I’m clear, for some... on 11:39 - Feb 11 with 4231 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Just so I’m clear, for some... on 10:49 - Feb 11 by HarryWright

Can you please stop bringing Mick up? it's getting boring now, move on and don't make things up to suit your agenda.

It was a relevant comparison to yesterday’s match, but you’re welcome to ignore him if you wish

Just so I’m clear, for some... on 11:50 - Feb 11 with 4207 viewsFifeITFC

MM the man who continues to divide the support 6+ months after he's left!

Some of you must be terrible in break ups, you just can't move on. Shall we start pining for John Duncan or Bobby Ferguson next?

Poll: Lambert goes, would you prefer an ex-Town connection replacement or not?

Just so I’m clear, for some... on 12:05 - Feb 11 with 4196 viewsMrTown

Fans didn’t want him here, the atmosphere was nothing short of toxic. We’d be playing in front of 10k every week and the disconnection between the club and the Town was staggering.

I like MM, he did a great job for most of his tenure, fell away towards the end. It was time for him and the club to move.
Also looks like it’s time for you to move on.

Poll: Would love to know the opinions on here now of Lambert genuinely?

Just so I’m clear, for some... on 12:07 - Feb 11 with 4193 viewsMaySixth

No

Poll: Ladapo or Hirst to start up front against Peterborough?

Just so I’m clear, for some... on 12:14 - Feb 11 with 4182 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Just so I’m clear, for some... on 12:05 - Feb 11 by MrTown

Fans didn’t want him here, the atmosphere was nothing short of toxic. We’d be playing in front of 10k every week and the disconnection between the club and the Town was staggering.

I like MM, he did a great job for most of his tenure, fell away towards the end. It was time for him and the club to move.
Also looks like it’s time for you to move on.

Move on in what sense? Making a comparison between this and last season is entirely relevant, particularly when things have gone so catastrophically since changing the manager

It’s not like I’m hankering back for Magilton, or something

Just so I’m clear, for some... on 12:23 - Feb 11 with 4161 viewsLeagueOne

Mick also took us within 4 points of relegation just over a year ago in 2016-17. I think Millwall and Wolves were both relegated following him leaving, to the third tier.

He's got previous of leaving clubs in a state.

It's time to make the best of it.
Poll: Would you leave TWTD if political threads were banned?

Just so I’m clear, for some... on 12:25 - Feb 11 with 4156 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Just so I’m clear, for some... on 12:23 - Feb 11 by LeagueOne

Mick also took us within 4 points of relegation just over a year ago in 2016-17. I think Millwall and Wolves were both relegated following him leaving, to the third tier.

He's got previous of leaving clubs in a state.

He didn’t leave Ipswich in a state though, that’s just rewriting history

Just so I’m clear, for some... on 12:33 - Feb 11 with 4134 viewsLeagueOne

Just so I’m clear, for some... on 12:25 - Feb 11 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

He didn’t leave Ipswich in a state though, that’s just rewriting history

We were terrible towards the end of last season, and weren't we nearly relegated in 2017? Or have I made that up as well?

It's just because we're infinitely worse now that we're sugar coating the last two seasons under Mick.

Bart, Gerken, Chambers, Skuse and Sears are all his players and they have all played a big part in relegating us this season, including having a tantrum with the new manager.

It's time to make the best of it.
Poll: Would you leave TWTD if political threads were banned?

Just so I’m clear, for some... on 12:49 - Feb 11 with 4114 viewsitfcbam

I was one who thought MM had done a good job with what he had at his disposal and probably was in the careful what you wish for camp. That said he had to go in the summer as the whole situation had got toxic and untenable.
However we do have a chunk of people who seem very deluded. 1st Mick had to go, then Hurst was a great appointment, then many then saying we should never have appointed him.
Fact is we are no longer (and haven't been for some time) a big championship club. We have steadily been overtaken by bigger supported teams, we have an owner who apparently doesn't invest, yet covers the annual losses every year, which even when you go back to the Burley era we always.sold a player in the summer to balance the books (normally around a million). Finances have moved on massively to the extent where relegated teams have 100m over 3 years in parachute payments, put into perspective that is approx 7 years of our total turnover. Yet we have some here with the expectation we should be ahead of these teams. That is extremely difficult. Sadly ME 5-6 million that he puts in is peanuts in comparison now. Unless we have some Arab owner we are always going to struggle now unless we can start bring youth through and selling on. Remember Norwich were boosted this year.by selling Madison for 22m!
Just so I’m clear, for some... on 12:53 - Feb 11 with 4100 viewsthejock

Just so I’m clear, for some... on 12:49 - Feb 11 by itfcbam

I was one who thought MM had done a good job with what he had at his disposal and probably was in the careful what you wish for camp. That said he had to go in the summer as the whole situation had got toxic and untenable.
However we do have a chunk of people who seem very deluded. 1st Mick had to go, then Hurst was a great appointment, then many then saying we should never have appointed him.
Fact is we are no longer (and haven't been for some time) a big championship club. We have steadily been overtaken by bigger supported teams, we have an owner who apparently doesn't invest, yet covers the annual losses every year, which even when you go back to the Burley era we always.sold a player in the summer to balance the books (normally around a million). Finances have moved on massively to the extent where relegated teams have 100m over 3 years in parachute payments, put into perspective that is approx 7 years of our total turnover. Yet we have some here with the expectation we should be ahead of these teams. That is extremely difficult. Sadly ME 5-6 million that he puts in is peanuts in comparison now. Unless we have some Arab owner we are always going to struggle now unless we can start bring youth through and selling on. Remember Norwich were boosted this year.by selling Madison for 22m!

History will be kind to Mick McCarthy he will be regarded as one of the Ipswich greats of the modern era
Just so I’m clear, for some... on 12:54 - Feb 11 with 4112 viewsKeaneish

Just so I’m clear, for some... on 08:10 - Feb 11 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

Bit of column A, bit of column B

Beating up on is OTT but it was stupid - a manager shouldn’t ever be putting himself in a position to be sent off, quite frankly

It's a local derby with passions running high and a manager going back to his former club with 39 points difference between the two. Your comparison to MM's last visit there is completely different.

For what its worth, i loved watching yesterday unfold. About time we had a bout of steel and desire throughout the club rather than apathy. Its great to see emotions over spilling as it means all staff are heavily invested. A far cry from having the Vs flicked up at us. If you're defending the latter as a means of conduct vs over spilling passion directed at the opposition rather than the fan base, what does that say about say about blinkered loyalty, which i assume was the whole sentiment behind the post?

Poll: Who would be your managerial preference between these two?
Blog: [Blog] £2.65 Million and Waiting?

Just so I’m clear, for some... on 12:54 - Feb 11 with 4098 viewsMrTown

Just so I’m clear, for some... on 12:14 - Feb 11 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

Move on in what sense? Making a comparison between this and last season is entirely relevant, particularly when things have gone so catastrophically since changing the manager

It’s not like I’m hankering back for Magilton, or something

cynically bringing up Mick in a patronising manner to remind fans that things have gone wrong since he left is so boring though.

Poll: Would love to know the opinions on here now of Lambert genuinely?

Just so I’m clear, for some... on 13:05 - Feb 11 with 4079 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Just so I’m clear, for some... on 12:33 - Feb 11 by LeagueOne

We were terrible towards the end of last season, and weren't we nearly relegated in 2017? Or have I made that up as well?

It's just because we're infinitely worse now that we're sugar coating the last two seasons under Mick.

Bart, Gerken, Chambers, Skuse and Sears are all his players and they have all played a big part in relegating us this season, including having a tantrum with the new manager.

We weren’t nearly relegated in 2017. That 4 point gap was also 6 places and about as close as we came all season after we lost our last 3 games, having already been mathematically safe

That was McCarthy’s worst season by far, after we failed to replace Murphy, and then last season we climbed back into the top half

So yes, you have made that up aswell

Just so I’m clear, for some... on 13:06 - Feb 11 with 4076 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Just so I’m clear, for some... on 12:54 - Feb 11 by Keaneish

It's a local derby with passions running high and a manager going back to his former club with 39 points difference between the two. Your comparison to MM's last visit there is completely different.

For what its worth, i loved watching yesterday unfold. About time we had a bout of steel and desire throughout the club rather than apathy. Its great to see emotions over spilling as it means all staff are heavily invested. A far cry from having the Vs flicked up at us. If you're defending the latter as a means of conduct vs over spilling passion directed at the opposition rather than the fan base, what does that say about say about blinkered loyalty, which i assume was the whole sentiment behind the post?

Well there’s a surprise. We could have lost 17-0 yesterday and you’d still be on here telling us how encouraging it was...

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024