Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Just so I’m clear, for some... 07:20 - Feb 11 with 19382 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Our previous previous manager, who achieved 4 top half finishes in 5 seasons, is hated for swearing at our fans whilst overseeing a 1-1 draw at Norwich last season

Our current manager, who has achieved 12 losses in 17 games, is a hero for getting himself sent off whilst overseeing our 3rd heaviest ever derby defeat

Have I got that right?

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

Just so I’m clear, for some... on 14:39 - Feb 11 with 4380 viewsSarge

Just so I’m clear, for some... on 09:13 - Feb 11 by thejock

It’s a choice

You can have Mick’s dull hoof football but relatively successful or Lamberts fabulous connections with the fans but awful results

People are going for the awful results that’s up to them but would rather have had Mick any day of the week

Mick’s reign towards the end more or less amounted to the water that sits in your toilet bowl. It’s safe, it’s not going anywhere although it’s likely that over time it will slowly go down the drain. He performed a miracle once by getting it to go the other way but it’s very unlikely that could happen again. If you want fresh water in the bowl you have to flush the toilet. Sure you’ll lose the water that was in there, but it’s the only chance you have to get new water out of the cistern.
[Post edited 11 Feb 2019 14:41]
Just so I’m clear, for some... on 14:45 - Feb 11 with 4362 viewsgiant_stow

Well mr Healyisapleasure, I get what you're saying even if no one else does. bizarre.

You probably need my backup like a whole in the head though, so apologies.

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

Just so I’m clear, for some... on 14:48 - Feb 11 with 4353 viewsNo9

Just so I’m clear, for some... on 13:07 - Feb 11 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

The post was about respective attitudes towards Lambert and McCarthy, quite clearly

I'm sure you realise that MM did a lot to turn the fans against him?

You can see PL is trying to re-build the fans/club relations?

To do that and rebuild a team that was past its sell by date several seasons ago is no mean task.
A few points of clarity on 15:23 - Feb 11 with 4328 viewsunstableblue

A few points of clarity on 14:19 - Feb 11 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

I don’t have rabid support for Mick - it was time for a change at the end of last season and I posted as much at the time

He did however do an excellent job here - a job which looks better by the day despite how much some will argue otherwise

Apologies rabid was perhaps a little dramatic.

But I think the concern I have with these kind of posts: "He did however do an excellent job here - a job which looks better by the day despite how much some will argue otherwise"

Yes of course Mick did for his first few years. There's no argument there.

But do you really think he was incrementally improving the squad, AND the style and ethos of play. To build a sustainable platform for growth. The answer has to be NO, surely?

And I bet you a princely sum a lot of the senior players would admit the system was way too old skool and was causing them to play far too cautiously, it was a system that was becoming an albatross around our necks.

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

Just so I’m clear, for some... on 15:27 - Feb 11 with 4320 viewsMrTown

Just so I’m clear, for some... on 13:07 - Feb 11 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

The post was about respective attitudes towards Lambert and McCarthy, quite clearly

What's the point?

Stevie Wonder could see the respective attitudes towards PL and MM, in the main...
Fans didn't like MM and they like PL, and you know this.

So just so I'm clear, what was the point in this post.

Poll: Would love to know the opinions on here now of Lambert genuinely?

A few points of clarity on 15:30 - Feb 11 with 4315 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

A few points of clarity on 15:23 - Feb 11 by unstableblue

Apologies rabid was perhaps a little dramatic.

But I think the concern I have with these kind of posts: "He did however do an excellent job here - a job which looks better by the day despite how much some will argue otherwise"

Yes of course Mick did for his first few years. There's no argument there.

But do you really think he was incrementally improving the squad, AND the style and ethos of play. To build a sustainable platform for growth. The answer has to be NO, surely?

And I bet you a princely sum a lot of the senior players would admit the system was way too old skool and was causing them to play far too cautiously, it was a system that was becoming an albatross around our necks.

I think he had his faults, and there is no doubt that without results the style of play could be painful to watch. I would argue that that was more a result of budget constraints and bad luck with injuries personally but it’s certainly a valid point against McCarthy

As for incrementally improving the squad, in his last Sumemr we brought in Garner, Waghorn, Huws and Adeyemi - 2 players that did definitely improve the squad and 2 that would have but for injuries. Plenty of minutes were also given to young players coming through - not as much as some wanted but stats show we used young players more than most teams in the league. We had climbed the table in the season in which he left, and to provide a wider context, the squad which McCarthy left behind was miles ahead of the one he inherited

As for players views on the system - I think the fact that key players were so keen to leave after he went tells it’s own story, personally

A few points of clarity on 15:34 - Feb 11 with 4305 viewsHarryWright

A few points of clarity on 14:19 - Feb 11 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

I don’t have rabid support for Mick - it was time for a change at the end of last season and I posted as much at the time

He did however do an excellent job here - a job which looks better by the day despite how much some will argue otherwise

I think most people accept on the whole Mick done a good job here, and is the best manager we've had probably since Royle… but towards the end it was dire.

So what is the point of this post, to try and prove what a good job Mccarthy did? I don't really get it, just seems like an unnecessary attempt to criticise the fans for showing support to our manager.
Just so I’m clear, for some... on 15:35 - Feb 11 with 4303 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Just so I’m clear, for some... on 15:27 - Feb 11 by MrTown

What's the point?

Stevie Wonder could see the respective attitudes towards PL and MM, in the main...
Fans didn't like MM and they like PL, and you know this.

So just so I'm clear, what was the point in this post.

Well exactly - which I find somewhat bizarre given their respective records

Sorry that upsets you so much

Login to get fewer ads

Just so I’m clear, for some... on 15:39 - Feb 11 with 4293 viewsHarryWright

Just so I’m clear, for some... on 15:35 - Feb 11 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

There's way more context to this though than simply, McCarthy has a better record.
Just so I’m clear, for some... on 16:08 - Feb 11 with 4260 viewsNo9

MM had not ponly pi$$ed everyone off he had overseen a decline in the teams he put out.
PL is still to start
You cannot compare 6 years with 6 months
PL may be gone in the enxt 6 months and again in 6 years he may be managing ITFC in the premier
Just so I’m clear, for some... on 16:22 - Feb 11 with 4243 viewstractorboysuffolk

Just so I’m clear, for some... on 09:37 - Feb 11 by tpsontour

When I spend my time and money travelling all over the country to watch my team, I much prefer a manager who wins football matches. Mick was rather good at doing that. Hurst wasn't. And Lambert isn't doing any better so far. And yet a significant number of our fans, who can't admit they've contributed to the club being re-set to 1957 and third tier football, where we will languish for an unknown number of seasons after 17 in the Championship, are in a parallel universe where Mick was the anti-Christ and Lambert is our saviour.

Wins
2012-13: 16 Jewell 1, McCarthy 15
2013-14: 18 McCarthy
2014-15: 22 McCarthy
2015-16: 18 McCarthy
2016-17: 13 McCarthy
2017-18: 17 McCarthy 16, Klug 1

2018-19: [3] Hurst 1, Lambert 2

Well said that man. A few facts to cut through some of the complete and utter stupidity on this thread. I completely agree there are a large number who simply cannot admit to the fact they directly contributed to all this, thinking they are football managers, when they are not. Plenty of teams out there win ugly week in, week out. Its definitely better than losing!
Just so I’m clear, for some... on 16:26 - Feb 11 with 4238 viewsPJH

Just so I’m clear, for some... on 16:22 - Feb 11 by tractorboysuffolk

Well said that man. A few facts to cut through some of the complete and utter stupidity on this thread. I completely agree there are a large number who simply cannot admit to the fact they directly contributed to all this, thinking they are football managers, when they are not. Plenty of teams out there win ugly week in, week out. Its definitely better than losing!

The thing that I have always found particularly strange is that for some winning ugly is NOT better than losing.
Just so I’m clear, for some... on 16:40 - Feb 11 with 4215 viewsHarryWright

Just so I’m clear, for some... on 16:22 - Feb 11 by tractorboysuffolk

We weren't winning ugly week in week out though were we?
Just so I’m clear, for some... on 16:44 - Feb 11 with 4211 viewsPJH

Just so I’m clear, for some... on 16:40 - Feb 11 by HarryWright

We weren't winning ugly week in week out though were we?

No, just three away games out of four at this time last season-drew the other one.
Admittedly the home results did not match that at the time but I imagine the players(and MM)were happier away from home but I cannot recall why that might have been.
Just so I’m clear, for some... on 16:57 - Feb 11 with 4199 viewsHarryWright

Just so I’m clear, for some... on 16:44 - Feb 11 by PJH

No, just three away games out of four at this time last season-drew the other one.
Admittedly the home results did not match that at the time but I imagine the players(and MM)were happier away from home but I cannot recall why that might have been.

My point still stands then. Just because this season has been a shambles and the Hurst was a complete joke doesn't all of a sudden make last season a good enjoyable season.

I think Mick done a very good job, I think our decision (as fans and a club) to get rid of him has contributed to our relegation however it was time and if I could go back then the one thing I would change is the appointment.
Just so I’m clear, for some... on 16:57 - Feb 11 with 4198 viewsMrTown

That doesn't answer the question - What is the point in the OP.

Doesn't bother me, I liked MM, he did a good job for Town, but certainly faded away.

Poll: Would love to know the opinions on here now of Lambert genuinely?

Just so I’m clear, for some... on 17:08 - Feb 11 with 4185 viewsPJH

Just so I’m clear, for some... on 16:57 - Feb 11 by HarryWright

My point still stands then. Just because this season has been a shambles and the Hurst was a complete joke doesn't all of a sudden make last season a good enjoyable season.

I think Mick done a very good job, I think our decision (as fans and a club) to get rid of him has contributed to our relegation however it was time and if I could go back then the one thing I would change is the appointment.

No last season was not enjoyable but from my point of view far more because of what was happening off the pitch than what was happening on it.
I agree that MM leaving would not necessarily have led to the situation that we are in now if the person appointed to replace him had been anything approaching competent but will also maintain that if MM was still here whatever else was being discussed on here it would not include being 9 points short of 21st place.
Just so I’m clear, for some... on 17:12 - Feb 11 with 4177 viewsHarryWright

Just so I’m clear, for some... on 17:08 - Feb 11 by PJH

No last season was not enjoyable but from my point of view far more because of what was happening off the pitch than what was happening on it.
I agree that MM leaving would not necessarily have led to the situation that we are in now if the person appointed to replace him had been anything approaching competent but will also maintain that if MM was still here whatever else was being discussed on here it would not include being 9 points short of 21st place.

Oh absolutely right we would not be where we are if he was here.

I've fallen into the trap on this thread but we really do just need to move on now, the McCarthy era is done, he did a good job and now he's no longer here - I don't see any need to keep bringing him up now, thank him and be done with it.
Just so I’m clear, for some... on 19:26 - Feb 11 with 4129 viewsbraveblue

Correct. I would rather the manager got angry and swore at Norwich than at his own fans.
Just so I’m clear, for some... on 20:32 - Feb 11 with 4087 viewsStewart27

Just so I’m clear, for some... on 08:43 - Feb 11 by GlasgowBlue

Mick did a fantastic job for us. He not only saved us from relegation but got us punching above our weight in terms of challenging for the play offs.

Mick telling the fans to “fcuk off” at Norwich last season was just another example that the relationship between fans and manager had irreconcilably broken down. The atmosphere between fans and manager had become so poisonous that had Mick stayed it is likely that season ticket sales would have fallen to seven or eight thousand. From a footballing perspective the club was stagnating. We may well have stayed in this division fir a season or two more but it would have been like living in some kind of football purgatory. It was time for Mick to leave. New fresh ideas were needed and the playing style had to change.

Mick should have been allowed to see out the remainder of the season rather than be continually abused by the fans once he and Evans had announced he was leaving. He should have been given the send off he deserved on the last day of the season and left with the thanks of the fans and his head held high.

A young up and coming manager with a proven track record was appointed and in the majority this approach was supported by the fans. The new manager sold one of the best centre backs in the division and our best two strikers in Garner and Waghorn. He replaced the strikers with young league one players who, though in time I believe they will come good, are simply not up to the job of playing in the championship. He brought in a glut of loanees who were no better than the young players we already have. He also lacked the man magenent skills needed to manage players like Bart who were clearly a step up from the level of player he had previously managed. Also, alsongside his assistant manager, he created an atmosphere of bullying and chaos and it reached the stage where he had to go before they did even more damage on and off the pitch.

Lambert has come in and tried to turn things around. He has certainly improved the quality of football but the fact remains that as well as we knock the ball about, we can neither defend or score which means we will win very few football matches. This is down to the previous manager.

He has attempted to improve the squad in the January window but it appears obvious that Evans was not prepared to invest sufficient funds for us to turn this around. Even the loan targets Lambert identified were reluctant to come to a club looking at dropping out if the division.

Paul Lambert’s actions yesterday shows that he cares about the job he is doing, cares about the players he was defending and cares about the club. He showed the sort if passion that is desperately lacking in the players we have. A streak of nastiness that could be the difference between bullying better teams or rolling over and getting beaten.

Paul Lambert deserves our support and I hope he is here next season cone what May.

Great post. Perfectly put.

Can we just copy and paste this to any “be careful what you wish for” thread.
Just so I’m clear, for some... on 21:03 - Feb 11 with 4066 viewsOxford_Blue

Yep.

“Football fans in irrational behaviour” shock horror sorry.
Just so I’m clear, for some... on 21:10 - Feb 11 with 4058 viewsjeera

Just so I’m clear, for some... on 19:26 - Feb 11 by braveblue

Correct. I would rather the manager got angry and swore at Norwich than at his own fans.

What if those 'own' fans were whiny little bitches who deserved it?

I jest of course.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024