Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Bad karma 10:21 - Feb 11 with 2131 viewsDyland

The scoreline doesn't tell the story does it. Football's cruel when you give a sh1t. Judge had a great chance to make it one all and only seconds later Pennington gives the ball away and Nodge immediately bury a similar chance. Maybe we're still paying off bad karma from Sheepshanks and administration.

Even a point would have kept us alive (if mightily sick) at three games off but what with goal difference it's done now and with a heavy heart I'm accepting our inevitable relegation.

FFS

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

Bad karma on 10:36 - Feb 11 with 2084 viewsGuthrum

Regarding your second paragraph, it hasn't really made that much difference to our fate in this division. We're just one point worse off over the weekend with 15 still to play.

Failing to win a match we weren't really expected to - away to the team in top spot - isn't going to define our battle (such as it is) for survival. Last Saturday was more of a blow. Wigan away and Reading at home are the significant upcoming milestones.

But every game which passes without points eats away at what little chance we still mathematically have.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Bad karma on 10:48 - Feb 11 with 2045 viewsNo9

You make some good points.
Like anything else once the rot starts it is difficult to stop.
The Owner thought he had good advice but the evidence suggest otherwise -
We must include Sheepshanks in the decline of ITFC simply because it all started with him.
Towns reign on Div 2 looks to be terminating but that isn't the case until it is mathematically impossible to avoid the drop.
Bad karma on 10:50 - Feb 11 with 2036 viewsHerbivore

Bad karma on 10:36 - Feb 11 by Guthrum

Regarding your second paragraph, it hasn't really made that much difference to our fate in this division. We're just one point worse off over the weekend with 15 still to play.

Failing to win a match we weren't really expected to - away to the team in top spot - isn't going to define our battle (such as it is) for survival. Last Saturday was more of a blow. Wigan away and Reading at home are the significant upcoming milestones.

But every game which passes without points eats away at what little chance we still mathematically have.

Got to think we need a win from our two home games this week really to keep us in the race. If we could manage three points (four would be amazing) it gives us a bit of hope and a small amount of momentum. I just don't think we're good enough to get those points though.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Bad karma on 10:53 - Feb 11 with 2032 viewsNo9

Like in previous seasons home games that should have been won have not been.

Any team that can't win home games is not going to achieve much and is going to end up where Town are.
Bad karma on 10:53 - Feb 11 with 2029 viewsBluefish

We just can't get a break this season. Some very dubious penalty decisions and red cards but also the ball never seems to break kindly for us

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

Bad karma on 10:56 - Feb 11 with 2017 viewsLeagueOne

We can't score, our midfield is flat and lacks creativity, our defence is truly shocking and yesterday reflected that. I don't see how the result was unfair? It was a soon to be top tier team vs a third division side, hard work generally never matches overall quality and we didn't. It looked like a small club playing a big club in a Cup game, it's embarrassing how we've fallen this far, let alone the manager having his little tantrum being reminded he'd walked away from Norwich to become a failure at every club since and he's now here at the last chance saloon.

It's time to make the best of it.
Poll: Would you leave TWTD if political threads were banned?

Bad karma on 10:59 - Feb 11 with 1993 viewsDyland

I hear you, but it's now win four more than Rotherham, Reading and Bolton as opposed to three. Just not going to happen is it.

Obviously I would love to be proved wrong :)

Bad karma on 10:59 - Feb 11 with 1992 viewsNo9

Bad karma on 10:56 - Feb 11 by LeagueOne

We can't score, our midfield is flat and lacks creativity, our defence is truly shocking and yesterday reflected that. I don't see how the result was unfair? It was a soon to be top tier team vs a third division side, hard work generally never matches overall quality and we didn't. It looked like a small club playing a big club in a Cup game, it's embarrassing how we've fallen this far, let alone the manager having his little tantrum being reminded he'd walked away from Norwich to become a failure at every club since and he's now here at the last chance saloon.

The best way to describe Town's midfield is ABSENT!
It's been that way for a number of seasons now
This is one thing that does put a big question mark around the PL tenure

Town get played off the park in midfield by just about every opponent no matter from which division the opponent comes
Login to get fewer ads

Bad karma on 11:00 - Feb 11 with 1985 viewsGuthrum

Bad karma on 10:50 - Feb 11 by Herbivore

Got to think we need a win from our two home games this week really to keep us in the race. If we could manage three points (four would be amazing) it gives us a bit of hope and a small amount of momentum. I just don't think we're good enough to get those points though.

Against Derby and Stoke, I don't think we are, either. But I would put them into the "unlikely to get anything" category, same as yesterday.

If we do manage to get a draw or even a win from those two, then that would be such a bonus it could have a significant effect, but losses (as long as they aren't really heavy) would make little difference other than eating up another couple of matches.

Bad karma on 11:01 - Feb 11 with 1971 viewsDyland

Bad karma on 10:56 - Feb 11 by LeagueOne

I didn't say it was unfair, I'm talking about the small margins.

Bad karma on 11:04 - Feb 11 with 1949 viewsHerbivore

Bad karma on 10:59 - Feb 11 by No9

The best way to describe Town's midfield is ABSENT!
It's been that way for a number of seasons now
This is one thing that does put a big question mark around the PL tenure

Town get played off the park in midfield by just about every opponent no matter from which division the opponent comes

Except yesterday when we dominated midfield for long spells.

Bad karma on 11:05 - Feb 11 with 1936 viewsHerbivore

Bad karma on 11:00 - Feb 11 by Guthrum

Against Derby and Stoke, I don't think we are, either. But I would put them into the "unlikely to get anything" category, same as yesterday.

If we do manage to get a draw or even a win from those two, then that would be such a bonus it could have a significant effect, but losses (as long as they aren't really heavy) would make little difference other than eating up another couple of matches.

We're going to need some wins in those unlikely to get anything games though, Guthers, if we're going to have any chance of staying up.

Bad karma on 11:06 - Feb 11 with 1931 viewsGuthrum

Bad karma on 10:59 - Feb 11 by Dyland

I hear you, but it's now win four more than Rotherham, Reading and Bolton as opposed to three. Just not going to happen is it.

Obviously I would love to be proved wrong :)

Don't forget draws, winning is not the only way of collecting points - it is, after all, how Rotherham have managed to open the gap a little. Currently, we still have to win only three, but now need to get a couple of draws (rather than one) more than those teams.

Oh ffs Guthers on 11:09 - Feb 11 with 1917 viewsDyland

Bad karma on 11:06 - Feb 11 by Guthrum

Don't forget draws, winning is not the only way of collecting points - it is, after all, how Rotherham have managed to open the gap a little. Currently, we still have to win only three, but now need to get a couple of draws (rather than one) more than those teams.

Stop being positive, I'm trying to accept our fate so I can just have a laugh again :)

Bad karma on 11:15 - Feb 11 with 1890 viewsGuthrum

Bad karma on 11:00 - Feb 11 by Guthrum

Actually, I'm goint to reclassify the Stoke game. Hadn't realised what a poor run they'd been on since Boxing Day: One win and one draw from eight, failing to score in six of those. Yes, that win was over Leeds, but the Yorkshiremen were going through a bad patch themselves at the time. The draw was nil - nil with Bolton.

So that really ought to be one we stand a decent chance of getting points from.

Bad karma on 11:17 - Feb 11 with 1878 viewsGuthrum

Bad karma on 11:05 - Feb 11 by Herbivore

We're going to need some wins in those unlikely to get anything games though, Guthers, if we're going to have any chance of staying up.

We still don't need that many wins, given the way those teams above us are themselves progressing. Especially if we can stop losing (e.g. stop giving away unnecessary or soft penalties).

Bad karma on 11:18 - Feb 11 with 1872 viewsHerbivore

Bad karma on 11:15 - Feb 11 by Guthrum

Actually, I'm goint to reclassify the Stoke game. Hadn't realised what a poor run they'd been on since Boxing Day: One win and one draw from eight, failing to score in six of those. Yes, that win was over Leeds, but the Yorkshiremen were going through a bad patch themselves at the time. The draw was nil - nil with Bolton.

So that really ought to be one we stand a decent chance of getting points from.

I make it probably our 4th most winnable fixture out of the remaining fixtures, so we really do need to win it to have any kind of chance.

Bad karma on 11:20 - Feb 11 with 1855 viewsGuthrum

Bad karma on 11:18 - Feb 11 by Herbivore

I make it probably our 4th most winnable fixture out of the remaining fixtures, so we really do need to win it to have any kind of chance.

Agreed.

Bad karma on 11:21 - Feb 11 with 1856 viewsHerbivore

Bad karma on 11:17 - Feb 11 by Guthrum

We still don't need that many wins, given the way those teams above us are themselves progressing. Especially if we can stop losing (e.g. stop giving away unnecessary or soft penalties).

We need at least 3 wins to catch those above us and that's assuming they pick up no more points themselves. I think another 6 or 7 in total will be needed along with a few draws. That means getting something from games that we should lose on paper.

Bad karma on 11:33 - Feb 11 with 1798 viewsGuthrum

Bad karma on 11:21 - Feb 11 by Herbivore

We need at least 3 wins to catch those above us and that's assuming they pick up no more points themselves. I think another 6 or 7 in total will be needed along with a few draws. That means getting something from games that we should lose on paper.

The teams above us really are not picking up many points. Rotherham have won two games since mid September (and none after New Year's Day). Reading has won once since we went there on 10th November.

However, what we really need to start doing is picking up some draws. That's the difference with those two, currently. They are collecting a sprinkling of one-pointers, which offsets our very occasional (but still more than them) wins.

Bad karma on 11:43 - Feb 11 with 1768 viewsSteve_M

Bad karma on 11:06 - Feb 11 by Guthrum

The failure to pick up the odd away draw under Lambert is problematic, one of the reasons we're so far adrift. That puts all the pressure on home games so those like last weekend become worse when we lose.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Oh ffs Guthers on 11:45 - Feb 11 with 1751 viewsGuthrum

Oh ffs Guthers on 11:09 - Feb 11 by Dyland

Stop being positive, I'm trying to accept our fate so I can just have a laugh again :)

I can't. Very aware we are extremely likely to get relegated, but am unwilling to give up prematurely. Just a shame the team isn't able to put up more of an effective fight (not helped by things going against us on occasion).

Bad karma on 11:46 - Feb 11 with 1742 viewsGuthrum

Bad karma on 11:43 - Feb 11 by Steve_M

The failure to pick up the odd away draw under Lambert is problematic, one of the reasons we're so far adrift. That puts all the pressure on home games so those like last weekend become worse when we lose.

Or even the odd home draw, recently.

Bad karma on 12:29 - Feb 11 with 1692 viewsHerbivore

Bad karma on 11:33 - Feb 11 by Guthrum

The teams above us really are not picking up many points. Rotherham have won two games since mid September (and none after New Year's Day). Reading has won once since we went there on 10th November.

However, what we really need to start doing is picking up some draws. That's the difference with those two, currently. They are collecting a sprinkling of one-pointers, which offsets our very occasional (but still more than them) wins.

Although Rotherham and Reading have picked up more points from the last 6 games than we have. They're averaging around a point a game. If they maintain close to that we're looking at needing 40-42 points to finish 4th bottom and that is on the low side historically. That's another 22 to 24 points which looks to me like a minimum of 6 wins, assuming we start to draw some games too. That just doesn't look possible.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024