Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Another nail in the Football coffin. 08:23 - Feb 12 with 2251 viewsSaxonblue74

Forget about blaming ME, MM, PH or whoever your chosen scapegoat may be. Aarron Ramsey going to Juventus for £400k per week sums up everything that is wrong in the game. Monopolisation of the game by elite clubs will destroy clubs that have been left behind in recent years. £100m for promotion to the prem? 4 years down the line and you have £16m change from the wage bill for 1 average player. RIP football.

Poll: Would you take MM and TC back tomorrow?

Another nail in the Football coffin. on 09:53 - Feb 12 with 2133 viewsMattinLondon

Considering someone posts something similar at least once every week it must be a massive coffin.
Another nail in the Football coffin. on 10:01 - Feb 12 with 2123 viewsJakeITFC

Of all the things that are wrong with football, him earning money certainly isn’t one of them.
Another nail in the Football coffin. on 10:07 - Feb 12 with 2088 viewsSwansea_Blue

Another nail in the Football coffin. on 10:01 - Feb 12 by JakeITFC

Of all the things that are wrong with football, him earning money certainly isn’t one of them.

Really? You don't think there's something wrong with the pressure placed on clubs to pay out most of (or more than) their income on players? And that that income is highly unequally distributed, so that the lower clubs can barely scrape enough together for a box of tea bags and our non/league and grass roots stuff is still stuck in the dark ages?

It's obviously not his fault, but he's a symptom of an unhealthy environment imo.

We're a shining example of what happens when wages take over a football club.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Another nail in the Football coffin. on 10:26 - Feb 12 with 2035 viewsJakeITFC

Another nail in the Football coffin. on 10:07 - Feb 12 by Swansea_Blue

Really? You don't think there's something wrong with the pressure placed on clubs to pay out most of (or more than) their income on players? And that that income is highly unequally distributed, so that the lower clubs can barely scrape enough together for a box of tea bags and our non/league and grass roots stuff is still stuck in the dark ages?

It's obviously not his fault, but he's a symptom of an unhealthy environment imo.

We're a shining example of what happens when wages take over a football club.

He’s worth whatever a club is willing to pay for him.

No fault of his.
Another nail in the Football coffin. on 10:28 - Feb 12 with 2030 viewsnoggin

Another nail in the Football coffin. on 10:26 - Feb 12 by JakeITFC

He’s worth whatever a club is willing to pay for him.

No fault of his.

Is the op saying it's AR's fault?

Poll: Which team thread should I participate in?

Another nail in the Football coffin. on 10:36 - Feb 12 with 1998 viewsJakeITFC

Another nail in the Football coffin. on 10:28 - Feb 12 by noggin

Is the op saying it's AR's fault?

Using him as the scapegoat of everything that is wrong in the game is probably quite like blaming someone in my mind.
Another nail in the Football coffin. on 10:45 - Feb 12 with 1973 viewsSaxonblue74

Another nail in the Football coffin. on 10:36 - Feb 12 by JakeITFC

Using him as the scapegoat of everything that is wrong in the game is probably quite like blaming someone in my mind.

Not blaming Ramsey, who wouldn't take an opportunity like that. All I am saying is this represents what is happening to the game in general.

Another nail in the Football coffin. on 11:00 - Feb 12 with 1938 viewscaught-in-limbo

I'm not in mourning just yet.

If you still love the game enough to revive it, let's have some suggestions as to what to do. Here's a few ideas for starters:

1) Don't buy televised football.
2) Avoid pubs which show paid for football matches
3) Go to matches when there's a discounted entry price and take your friends, their kids and their friends too.
4) Don't financially support any club which has a gambling sponsor.
5) Go and watch your village team or your kid's team play. - Get involved in grassroots football personally.
6) Stop mourning the death of football, but follow the advice of the great football lover Mahatma Gandhi: "Be the football you want to live."

#toxic
Poll: BREXIT - Hard, soft, phantom ...

Login to get fewer ads

Another nail in the Football coffin. on 11:05 - Feb 12 with 1920 viewschicoazul

Everybody is wrong about how bad it is that footballers get paid so much. Can you name another industry where the workers who provide the product, profit, turnover and profile are paid so much of those very same profits? If you build engines at Ford you get paid 30k a year.
It is also true that throughout history the entertainers who sell tickets are the ones who get paid the most. Kit Harrington earns a lot more than the millions who watch Game of Thrones for a reason, and Shakespeare had a much nicer house than 100% of the people who went to stand up for 3 hours at the Globe.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Another nail in the Football coffin. on 11:07 - Feb 12 with 1911 viewsSwansea_Blue

Another nail in the Football coffin. on 11:00 - Feb 12 by caught-in-limbo

If you still love the game enough to revive it, let's have some suggestions as to what to do. Here's a few ideas for starters:

3) Go to matches when there's a discounted entry price and take your friends, their kids and their friends too.
5) Go and watch your village team or your kid's team play. - Get involved in grassroots football personally.
6) Stop mourning the death of football, but follow the advice of the great football lover Mahatma Gandhi: "Be the football you want to live."

7) Stop buying half and half scarves :)

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Another nail in the Football coffin. on 11:11 - Feb 12 with 1901 viewsSaxonblue74

Another nail in the Football coffin. on 11:00 - Feb 12 by caught-in-limbo

Couldn't agree more.

Another nail in the Football coffin. on 11:43 - Feb 12 with 1836 viewsColumbia

There is more to it than that. He had no sign on fee and they didn’t pay anything for him bar 3 million costs incurred for an unstated reason. Spread that over the 4 years and it’s not really a bad deal for Juve, think he is a decent player..

However I imagine it will open the floodgates for the likes of Hazard or Pogba for example who on face value are ‘bigger’ and better players, to really go for it when they negotiate their new contracts regardless.
Another nail in the Football coffin. on 12:00 - Feb 12 with 1797 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Another nail in the Football coffin. on 11:43 - Feb 12 by Columbia

There is more to it than that. He had no sign on fee and they didn’t pay anything for him bar 3 million costs incurred for an unstated reason. Spread that over the 4 years and it’s not really a bad deal for Juve, think he is a decent player..

However I imagine it will open the floodgates for the likes of Hazard or Pogba for example who on face value are ‘bigger’ and better players, to really go for it when they negotiate their new contracts regardless.

Posted along these lines in the other Ramsey thread

Wonder if we’ll start to see more players run contracts down - it’s always been the case that out of contract players can command a bigger salary but with transfer fees at the levels they are now the potential impact on wages is so vast now

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

Another nail in the Football coffin. on 12:11 - Feb 12 with 1775 viewschicoazul

Another nail in the Football coffin. on 12:00 - Feb 12 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

Posted along these lines in the other Ramsey thread

Wonder if we’ll start to see more players run contracts down - it’s always been the case that out of contract players can command a bigger salary but with transfer fees at the levels they are now the potential impact on wages is so vast now

Well Ipwich have become experts in this field during the Banter Era.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024