Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
From Robert Peston.... 08:41 - Feb 12 with 9652 viewsitfcjoe

I am told @Keir_Starmer is not the happiest member of the frontbench. According to multiple sources, he had agreed that the final part of Corbyn’s letter to May would say “if you do not accept this [Brexit offer] there will be a People’s Vote”. One source...

tells me “LOTO [the leader of the opposition] agreed to this. But then Keir discovered after the letter had been sent and published that the People’s Vote para had gone”. Starmer “called LOTO and was told ‘oh we must have forgotten that paragraph’”. Apparently Starmer’s...

reaction has not been one of unbridled joy. And even erstwhile Corbyn loyalists are becoming grumpy at what they see as his refusal to follow the revealed will of Labour members and supporters that their should be a referendum. One said: “the only interest”...

of Corbyn and his aides is “seeing a Tory Brexit through so they can wash their hands of it”.

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

From Robert Peston.... on 08:44 - Feb 12 with 5784 viewsSteve_M

Private Eye last week on Seamus Milne's influence was telling:

http://www.private-eye.co.uk/hp-sauce

Labour for the Winchester-educated Stalinists not the many.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

From Robert Peston.... on 08:54 - Feb 12 with 5734 viewsitfcjoe

From Robert Peston.... on 08:44 - Feb 12 by Steve_M

The lunatics are running the asylum

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

From Robert Peston.... on 08:57 - Feb 12 with 5714 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

That's because JC is a brexit supporter.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

From Robert Peston.... on 09:19 - Feb 12 with 5636 viewsgiant_stow

This post represents a gazillion up votes

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

From Robert Peston.... on 09:28 - Feb 12 with 5603 viewsOldsmoker

From Robert Peston.... on 08:57 - Feb 12 by Marshalls_Mullet

That's because JC is a brexit supporter.

Corbyn isn't a Brexit supporter, well not Mays version anyway.
Corbyn wants to leave the EU because he wants to use state aid to re-nationalise industries. Corbyn says that EU rules forbid state aid to be used but that's not entirely true. France has state backed railways and other industries.
He could renationalise the railways and water within the EU's rules which are restrictive but don't prohibit renationalisation.

Don't believe a word I say. I'm only kidding. Or am I?
Poll: What mode is best?

From Robert Peston.... on 09:41 - Feb 12 with 5537 viewsGlasgowBlue

From Robert Peston.... on 09:28 - Feb 12 by Oldsmoker

Corbyn wants to leave the EU because he wants to use state aid to re-nationalise industries. Corbyn says that EU rules forbid state aid to be used but that's not entirely true. France has state backed railways and other industries.
He could renationalise the railways and water within the EU's rules which are restrictive but don't prohibit renationalisation.

You are right that he isn’t a supporter of amay’s version of Brexit. May is a remainer caught in the middle trying to please both sides whilst actually pleasing neither.

Corbyn is a traditional anti EU Bennite.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

From Robert Peston.... on 09:51 - Feb 12 with 5513 viewsGuthrum

Underneath all that is a psychological trend in certain old hard-Labour (Militant Tendency) circles - from which Corbyn and a section of his support base come - to view the EU as capitalist hegemony, the "wrong kind of internationalism".

They still hold to a Trotskyist-Leninist worldview of a historically inevitable global working class revolution, which the EU is preventing, rather than acknowleging its legislation to protect workers' rights and the fact a section of their pro-Brexit fellow travellers on the deregulatory right want to get rid of those very protections. It's almost a case of wanting to make things worse in order to provoke "the Revolution".

Yes, this is a genuine mindset.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

From Robert Peston.... on 09:54 - Feb 12 with 5496 viewsOldsmoker

I've always wondered if this is the reason the Tory Brexiters want us to leave the EU.

On 20 June 2016 the Council adopted the Directive (EU) 2016/1164 laying down rules against tax avoidance practices that directly affect the functioning of the internal market.
Member States should apply these measures as from 1 January 2019.

Britains Tax Havens would be directly affected by this and any money squirrelled offshore would be under scrutiny if we remain in the EU.

Login to get fewer ads

From Robert Peston.... on 09:59 - Feb 12 with 5465 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

From Robert Peston.... on 09:51 - Feb 12 by Guthrum

Underneath all that is a psychological trend in certain old hard-Labour (Militant Tendency) circles - from which Corbyn and a section of his support base come - to view the EU as capitalist hegemony, the "wrong kind of internationalism".

They still hold to a Trotskyist-Leninist worldview of a historically inevitable global working class revolution, which the EU is preventing, rather than acknowleging its legislation to protect workers' rights and the fact a section of their pro-Brexit fellow travellers on the deregulatory right want to get rid of those very protections. It's almost a case of wanting to make things worse in order to provoke "the Revolution".

Does this include the right of workers to have their wages suppressed and their taxes to gaurantee a failing financial sector (and associated bonuses).

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

From Robert Peston.... on 10:01 - Feb 12 with 5463 viewsOldsmoker

From Robert Peston.... on 09:51 - Feb 12 by Guthrum

You are right about this mindset of provoking a revolution. I have encountered many fellow lefties who think like this since my days at University back in the 70's.
And yes, it does persist today.
The type of revolution they want will fail as the people who will try to lead it won't be from the working class but educated radical thinkers.

From Robert Peston.... on 10:03 - Feb 12 with 5448 viewsGuthrum

From Robert Peston.... on 09:54 - Feb 12 by Oldsmoker

I've always wondered if this is the reason the Tory Brexiters want us to leave the EU.

On 20 June 2016 the Council adopted the Directive (EU) 2016/1164 laying down rules against tax avoidance practices that directly affect the functioning of the internal market.
Member States should apply these measures as from 1 January 2019.

Britains Tax Havens would be directly affected by this and any money squirrelled offshore would be under scrutiny if we remain in the EU.

Would certainly explain why some of them are in such a hurry!

From Robert Peston.... on 10:06 - Feb 12 with 5421 viewsSteve_M

From Robert Peston.... on 09:59 - Feb 12 by BanksterDebtSlave

Does this include the right of workers to have their wages suppressed and their taxes to gaurantee a failing financial sector (and associated bonuses).

If you think worker's rights are going to improve under an-ERG deregulatory Brexit, which is where we are headed for, then you are being delusional. The EU's protections are far greater than those the Tory party wants.

From Robert Peston.... on 10:16 - Feb 12 with 5403 viewsGuthrum

From Robert Peston.... on 10:01 - Feb 12 by Oldsmoker

You are right about this mindset of provoking a revolution. I have encountered many fellow lefties who think like this since my days at University back in the 70's.
And yes, it does persist today.
The type of revolution they want will fail as the people who will try to lead it won't be from the working class but educated radical thinkers.

Was talking to a self-confessed Trotskyite revolutionary at the time when Corbyn mania first emerged. He saw in it the revival of Militant (as a member of which, he had been ejected from the Labour Party in the 1980s).

The kind of revolution they are talking about will not happen in the forseeable future, because the circumstances and environment are simply not conducive. Plus people have seen how Stalin followed Lenin and what came after.

From Robert Peston.... on 10:19 - Feb 12 with 5387 viewsSuperfrans

It is an entire clusterfork. And I can't for the life of me see how anyone, on either side of the political divide or on either side of the Leave/Remain debate could view it otherwise.

Lambert says our club needs a broom through it. I'd take a flame thrower to the HoC, if i had my way.

(I might spare a handful of individuals on both sides, but that's it).

Poll: What is your voting intention on December 12?
Blog: Dear Martin Samuel...

From Robert Peston.... on 10:20 - Feb 12 with 5379 viewsGuthrum

From Robert Peston.... on 09:59 - Feb 12 by BanksterDebtSlave

Propping up the financial sector which also produces returns for those workers' pension funds? Perhaps an unfortunate fact, but nonetheless true.

On workers' rights: https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/brexit-latest-news-10-ways-eu-pr

From Robert Peston.... on 10:50 - Feb 12 with 5288 viewspickles110564

From Robert Peston.... on 10:06 - Feb 12 by Steve_M

If you think worker's rights are going to improve under an-ERG deregulatory Brexit, which is where we are headed for, then you are being delusional. The EU's protections are far greater than those the Tory party wants.

I agree, we need to get worker rights enshrined in law, needs to be a happy medium so power is split evenly not moving to far either way.
From Robert Peston.... on 10:57 - Feb 12 with 5247 viewsCoachRob

From Robert Peston.... on 10:20 - Feb 12 by Guthrum

Propping up the financial sector which also produces returns for those workers' pension funds? Perhaps an unfortunate fact, but nonetheless true.

On workers' rights: https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/brexit-latest-news-10-ways-eu-pr

Banking sector -14% equity returns on 1 year average!
From Robert Peston.... on 11:08 - Feb 12 with 5203 viewsGuthrum

From Robert Peston.... on 10:57 - Feb 12 by CoachRob

Banking sector -14% equity returns on 1 year average!

If they went bust it would all go, as would High Street banking and thus the ability for ordinary people to do everyday transactions. That is the barrel the government were held over in 2008.

While there remains little separation between the two sides of banking, the danger (and thus leverage) still exists.

From Robert Peston.... on 11:12 - Feb 12 with 5179 viewsMullysplace1

We had the vote, get over it. Thats how a democracy works. We dont keep voting until the other side gets what it wants ! Should we keep voting until we get the right PM each time, just because the one who got in isnt liked by others ?
From Robert Peston.... on 11:15 - Feb 12 with 5170 viewschicoazul

People laughed when I said Corbyn is a Trojan Horse for the hardline Commies lurking in his wake, people laughed. Needless to say, I had the last laugh!!1!!11!

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

From Robert Peston.... on 11:17 - Feb 12 with 5162 viewschicoazul

It's almost as if The Maximum Leader is a mad old tw@t isnt it.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

From Robert Peston.... on 11:49 - Feb 12 with 5106 viewsSwansea_Blue

From Robert Peston.... on 11:17 - Feb 12 by chicoazul

Best description yet.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

From Robert Peston.... on 11:51 - Feb 12 with 5093 viewsSteve_M

From Robert Peston.... on 11:17 - Feb 12 by chicoazul

That video that was circulating yesterday was proper tin-foil hat stuff. Ok, it was from 2010 but Corbyn hasn't changed a political opinion since the 70s.

Corbyn is a large part of the reason why the Tories will still be the largest party after the next election despite being so incredibly sh1t.

From Robert Peston.... on 11:52 - Feb 12 with 5093 viewsNo9

I don't really think any of this makes any difference.
Senior tories had already threatened Mr May not to get involved with labour on brexit

It is all media hype suggesting the tories now think they have a significant poll lead and may go for the G.E. Corbyn says he wants

We shall see
From Robert Peston.... on 11:56 - Feb 12 with 5059 viewsGlasgowBlue

Why isn’t Starmer resigning over this?

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024