Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Question on Lambert 14:18 - Feb 13 with 3104 viewsMeenoITFC

Is 'Liking the bloke' enough? What really has he done that has changed here. The signings in January have not strengthened us at all, plays odd line ups (1 up front), and hurst has a better record.

But as I stated I like him as a person as he understands the club. Strange one!

Poll: Is Jonny Williams worth signing

Question on Lambert on 14:23 - Feb 13 with 3060 viewsSteve_M

Oh good, we've not had this one to discuss today yet.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Question on Lambert on 14:30 - Feb 13 with 3022 viewsHerbivore

Question on Lambert on 14:23 - Feb 13 by Steve_M

Oh good, we've not had this one to discuss today yet.

It's getting a bit tedious.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Question on Lambert on 14:36 - Feb 13 with 2995 viewsHarry_Palmer

To be honest I think this has been done to death already. He inherited a useless squad and although performances have improved he has been unable to get results. Could anybody have done so with this squad? It's highly doubtful.

Most of his January signings have not really worked out but it was always going to be difficult to recruit the quality necessary. He looks like he is going to fail in his primary objective ( ie. keeping us up ) but by anybody's standards he has to be given the summer to rebuild regardless of which division we are in.

Unless Lambert resigns he will be here next season, Evans has already made that clear so I think we need to back him until he has had a real chance to shape his own squad.
Question on Lambert on 14:37 - Feb 13 with 2973 viewsfooters

What if you don't like him and think he's hopeless? Our opinions won't get him the sack, so sit back and relax.

footers QC - Prosecution Barrister, Hasketon Law Chambers
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Question on Lambert on 14:40 - Feb 13 with 2953 viewsBlueySwede

Some fans don´t realise just how bad we are (injuries, low confidence, some bad luck doesn´t help). We could have the best manager in the world, pay him billions, but we would still struggle. There are some, small, signs of improvement. I would say there are some nice combinations, we can retain and keep the ball better at times..No, it´s not enough to bring more points on board at the moment, but there are some signs of improvement. Maybe we need to drop down and rebuild, get some confidence in the team and club.
Lambert would need to be Jesus himself to put off a miracle and save us this season.
Question on Lambert on 14:42 - Feb 13 with 2937 viewsBlueySwede

Question on Lambert on 14:40 - Feb 13 by BlueySwede

Some fans don´t realise just how bad we are (injuries, low confidence, some bad luck doesn´t help). We could have the best manager in the world, pay him billions, but we would still struggle. There are some, small, signs of improvement. I would say there are some nice combinations, we can retain and keep the ball better at times..No, it´s not enough to bring more points on board at the moment, but there are some signs of improvement. Maybe we need to drop down and rebuild, get some confidence in the team and club.
Lambert would need to be Jesus himself to put off a miracle and save us this season.

Also I would say Judge is a good addition, and (if we can get him fit enough to play) Collins too.
Question on Lambert on 14:47 - Feb 13 with 2909 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

You dont think Judge and Collins are an improvement?!

Keane starting to look good. Bree an improvement on Spence.

New signing take time to find their feet.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Question on Lambert on 14:50 - Feb 13 with 2894 viewsKeaneish

"The January signings haven't strengthened us at all?" Mmmm...

Alan Judge, James Collins, Will Keane and Colin Quaner have all added different dimensions to the squad. Jury is still out on Bree and Elder. Other than that, Dawkins is the only flop. I'd argue we've done some good business in a very difficult window, actually.

Poll: Who would be your managerial preference between these two?
Blog: [Blog] £2.65 Million and Waiting?

Login to get fewer ads

Question on Lambert on 14:55 - Feb 13 with 2869 viewsHerbivore

Question on Lambert on 14:50 - Feb 13 by Keaneish

Alan Judge, James Collins, Will Keane and Colin Quaner have all added different dimensions to the squad. Jury is still out on Bree and Elder. Other than that, Dawkins is the only flop. I'd argue we've done some good business in a very difficult window, actually.

I'd say the jury is also very much out on Quaner and Keane. Quaner looks very ordinary, Keane has done okay in patches. Harrison has looked our best centre forward under Lambert imo.

Question on Lambert on 14:55 - Feb 13 with 2877 viewsHarryWright

The argument about Hursts better record I find misleading, at the start of the season I'm sure the squad started with optimism and confidence, and in that period we picked up a few points. Ever since Lambert took over the squad was already completely shot of confidence due to the form before him.
Question on Lambert on 15:00 - Feb 13 with 2839 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Question on Lambert on 14:55 - Feb 13 by HarryWright

The argument about Hursts better record I find misleading, at the start of the season I'm sure the squad started with optimism and confidence, and in that period we picked up a few points. Ever since Lambert took over the squad was already completely shot of confidence due to the form before him.

We achieved more points in Hurst’s last 6 games than we did in the first 6 games under Lambert, or indeed his last 6 games

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

Question on Lambert on 15:02 - Feb 13 with 2829 viewsHerbivore

Question on Lambert on 15:00 - Feb 13 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

We achieved more points in Hurst’s last 6 games than we did in the first 6 games under Lambert, or indeed his last 6 games

That win against Swansea was the definition of a freak result.

Question on Lambert on 15:02 - Feb 13 with 2825 viewschristiand

Question on Lambert on 14:36 - Feb 13 by Harry_Palmer

To be honest I think this has been done to death already. He inherited a useless squad and although performances have improved he has been unable to get results. Could anybody have done so with this squad? It's highly doubtful.

Most of his January signings have not really worked out but it was always going to be difficult to recruit the quality necessary. He looks like he is going to fail in his primary objective ( ie. keeping us up ) but by anybody's standards he has to be given the summer to rebuild regardless of which division we are in.

Unless Lambert resigns he will be here next season, Evans has already made that clear so I think we need to back him until he has had a real chance to shape his own squad.

Well said Harry Palmer!! 👍

Poll: Where will we finish this season?
Blog: Full of Optimism and Hope, the League One Kick Off is Finally Here!

Question on Lambert on 15:06 - Feb 13 with 2802 viewshomer_123

Question on Lambert on 14:50 - Feb 13 by Keaneish

They've strengthened the squad. However two very important points:

1. Low base - the squad was decimated by Hurst, so improving it wasn't difficult
2. Zero affect on results - those coming coupled with the approach taken by Lambert hasn't seen any better results.

It's right to say that the football has been better under Lambert, no question. But it's actually not really that much different than under Hurst. In that we play in spells, we have a good 10 or 30 mins of football but can never actually carry that through a full game. Even with Keane and Quaner was are toothless up front, no improvement in goal scoring ability under Lambert. Individual errors continue, whilst that is normal at this level, we continue to be punished for those errors.

I wish Lambert was here in the summer, perfect appointment for us then.

I felt when he was appointed that he wasn't really the right manager to dig us out of the hole we were in. His approach is laudable, he wants us to play football and that's great but when you are fighting for your life trying to stave off relegation - it maybe wasn't the right approach.

I remain unconvinced that we'll walk league 1 or even be in the play-offs. That's not a reflection on Lambert, it's a reality of having the owner we do.

Evans wasn't prepared to fund Mick when we were sitting pretty of the Xmas period a few years back and he's not really gone for giving Lambert the best possible opportunity to stave off relegation either - yes, there has been investment but nowhere near enough.

There is absolutely nothing to indicate he'll do anything than keep the status quo in terms of approach when we go down. So, as good as Lambert is - he'll be in exactly the same situ as Mick - his hands financially will be tied.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Question on Lambert on 15:22 - Feb 13 with 2737 viewsBluesquid

Question on Lambert on 14:36 - Feb 13 by Harry_Palmer

Well with all that being said, let's face it (although it might not be Lamberts fault) the only game where the team have really, really battled and fought tooth and nail was the Norwich game.

No one can say that we saw the same fight and spirit in the previous games like that we saw on Sunday and it's a massive shame really because against Villa, Blackburn and Wednesday we could of come away with something.

Anyway, still not over if we can show that same fight and battle like we did against Norwich.

Going for a home win tonight.
Question on Lambert on 15:57 - Feb 13 with 2627 viewsHarry_Palmer

Question on Lambert on 15:22 - Feb 13 by Bluesquid

Well with all that being said, let's face it (although it might not be Lamberts fault) the only game where the team have really, really battled and fought tooth and nail was the Norwich game.

No one can say that we saw the same fight and spirit in the previous games like that we saw on Sunday and it's a massive shame really because against Villa, Blackburn and Wednesday we could of come away with something.

Anyway, still not over if we can show that same fight and battle like we did against Norwich.

Going for a home win tonight.

You make a valid point, Sheff Weds was particularly disappointing. I hope to see the same level of fight tonight that we got on Sunday ( without the red card for Lambert! ).

Lambert has been far from perfect, and some criticism has been justified but ultimately he is here to stay for now and I think he needs to be given a summer transfer window and a fair crack at League One before we even think about questioning his position.
Question on Lambert on 16:17 - Feb 13 with 2577 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Question on Lambert on 15:02 - Feb 13 by Herbivore

That win against Swansea was the definition of a freak result.

All of our wins this season have been freak results

Question on Lambert on 16:25 - Feb 13 with 2555 viewsRadlett_blue

Question on Lambert on 16:17 - Feb 13 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

All of our wins this season have been freak results

Two scrambled 1-0 home wins against a couple of the 5 poorest sides in this league.
The win at Swansea was a freak, quickly followed by 2 more comprehensive defeats.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Question on Lambert on 16:34 - Feb 13 with 2517 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Question on Lambert on 16:25 - Feb 13 by Radlett_blue

Two scrambled 1-0 home wins against a couple of the 5 poorest sides in this league.
The win at Swansea was a freak, quickly followed by 2 more comprehensive defeats.

The win against Wigan was followed up with a draw, then 2 comprehensive defeats and another loss at home to one of the worst teams in the division

The win against Rotherham was followed up by 4 straight defeats and counting

The results are what they are - you can’t just dismiss Hursts win

Question on Lambert on 17:01 - Feb 13 with 2464 viewsRadlett_blue

Question on Lambert on 16:34 - Feb 13 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

The win against Wigan was followed up with a draw, then 2 comprehensive defeats and another loss at home to one of the worst teams in the division

The win against Rotherham was followed up by 4 straight defeats and counting

The results are what they are - you can’t just dismiss Hursts win

I agree. We have been little better under Lambert than Hurst, although Lambert inherited Hurst's mess. After Lambert initially (and sensibly) first tried to go for stability in his team selection, he's now rotating a larger, but no more talented squad.
I think most of us have realistically accepted the inevitability of relegation and hope Lambert can build something from the wreckage after a major clear-out in the summer.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Question on Lambert on 18:35 - Feb 13 with 2328 viewsBlueBadger

Question on Lambert on 16:25 - Feb 13 by Radlett_blue

In retrospect, the right time to sack Hurst would have been after that game wouldn't it? There'd be some actual (albeit fragile) positivity there to work with.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Question on Lambert on 18:55 - Feb 13 with 2280 viewspointofblue

Question on Lambert on 18:35 - Feb 13 by BlueBadger

In retrospect, the right time to sack Hurst would have been after that game wouldn't it? There'd be some actual (albeit fragile) positivity there to work with.

I seem to remember there were rumours going around at the time that Hurst would be sacked if we lost at Swansea - that result got him a stay of execution though only for two games.

But for all the criticism of Hurst we did at least show signs of resistance under him - we equalised against Blackburn, Villa, Wednesday (before losing after a dodgy red card), Brentford and Swansea (before winning). Number of times we've equalised under Lambert? None. We scored six away goals from seven league matches under Hurst. Under Lambert? Three from eight.

It can be argued that confidence had been shot under Hurst (and we seemed to come back worse from an international break) but he did prove that we had something to work with. I'm not sure whether Lambert has got everything he could out of this squad, whether that's down to motivation or, more likely IMO, tactics.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

Question on Lambert on 19:09 - Feb 13 with 2261 viewsBlueBadger

Question on Lambert on 18:55 - Feb 13 by pointofblue

I seem to remember there were rumours going around at the time that Hurst would be sacked if we lost at Swansea - that result got him a stay of execution though only for two games.

But for all the criticism of Hurst we did at least show signs of resistance under him - we equalised against Blackburn, Villa, Wednesday (before losing after a dodgy red card), Brentford and Swansea (before winning). Number of times we've equalised under Lambert? None. We scored six away goals from seven league matches under Hurst. Under Lambert? Three from eight.

It can be argued that confidence had been shot under Hurst (and we seemed to come back worse from an international break) but he did prove that we had something to work with. I'm not sure whether Lambert has got everything he could out of this squad, whether that's down to motivation or, more likely IMO, tactics.

I suspect it's probably a combination of 'both of these things'.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024