Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Declan Rice chooses England 16:26 - Feb 13 with 3273 viewsCaptainAhab

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/47231737

At least the futures looking bright for the national team...
Declan Rice chooses England on 16:26 - Feb 13 with 3268 viewsKieran_Knows

Good lad.

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

Declan Rice chooses England on 16:30 - Feb 13 with 3241 viewsReuser_is_God

You can play for a team who has just got to the semi finals of the World Cup & who have improved further since then or one who is managed by Mick McCarthy.

Absolute no brainer.

Evans out
Poll: Are Burgers the new Cheese?

Declan Rice chooses England on 16:48 - Feb 13 with 3198 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Deccan Rice in "englishman plays for England" story.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

on 16:49 - Feb 13 with 3196 views_

Declan Rice chooses England on 16:54 - Feb 13 with 3168 viewsiamipswich

Obviously seen how well things are going for him and realised he could represent the better footballing nation.

Poll: Who will return first?

Declan Rice chooses England on 17:03 - Feb 13 with 3140 viewsclive_baker

I don't have any sympathy for Ireland particularly on this one. They opportunistically nabbed him at 14 years old and gave him a cap as soon as he had represented West Ham, and now he probably realises he's capable of playing for a side that might achieve something, and at least go to World Cups. Not to mention the fact he's English, born and bred in London and both of his parents are English. Not saying he has no allegiance to Ireland, he might well have but good on him for being true to himself.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

on 17:09 - Feb 13 with 3110 views_

Declan Rice chooses England on 17:03 - Feb 13 by clive_baker

I don't have any sympathy for Ireland particularly on this one. They opportunistically nabbed him at 14 years old and gave him a cap as soon as he had represented West Ham, and now he probably realises he's capable of playing for a side that might achieve something, and at least go to World Cups. Not to mention the fact he's English, born and bred in London and both of his parents are English. Not saying he has no allegiance to Ireland, he might well have but good on him for being true to himself.

Declan Rice chooses England on 17:15 - Feb 13 with 3094 viewschicoazul

Have to say I feel like the most promising Irish player in a generation choosing to play for England at the same time as Mick is Ireland Manager must count as a Banter Era moment.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Login to get fewer ads

Declan Rice chooses England on 17:18 - Feb 13 with 3085 viewsRadlett_blue

on 17:09 - Feb 13 by _

Born & raised in England, but Ireland have been canny about finding players with Irish ancestors - in his case, his paternal grandparents. I'm sure Ireland's strategy was to give him a cap when young & once he played in a competitive game, he couldn't then switch to England.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Declan Rice chooses England on 17:26 - Feb 13 with 3059 viewsclive_baker

Declan Rice chooses England on 17:18 - Feb 13 by Radlett_blue

Born & raised in England, but Ireland have been canny about finding players with Irish ancestors - in his case, his paternal grandparents. I'm sure Ireland's strategy was to give him a cap when young & once he played in a competitive game, he couldn't then switch to England.

They're all about the 'hard sell' to very young kids, and their families, which has never sat well with me. "you won't make it with England, it's too competitive, come here instead", "it'll raise your profile at West Ham and increase your chances there", "it's great for your earning potential" etc etc, and you're talking about 13 year olds. I don't have a problem with kids representing countries but it shouldn't be any sort of commitment, even when there's a full cap involved. They get them into the system, give him a senior cap days after his West Ham debut when he's 17 / 18 and then get salty when he matures as a player, and importantly as a person becomes an adult, and evaluates what he wants to do.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Declan Rice chooses England on 17:29 - Feb 13 with 3039 viewsReuser_is_God

Declan Rice chooses England on 17:26 - Feb 13 by clive_baker

They're all about the 'hard sell' to very young kids, and their families, which has never sat well with me. "you won't make it with England, it's too competitive, come here instead", "it'll raise your profile at West Ham and increase your chances there", "it's great for your earning potential" etc etc, and you're talking about 13 year olds. I don't have a problem with kids representing countries but it shouldn't be any sort of commitment, even when there's a full cap involved. They get them into the system, give him a senior cap days after his West Ham debut when he's 17 / 18 and then get salty when he matures as a player, and importantly as a person becomes an adult, and evaluates what he wants to do.

This, & the fact he has no interest in playing for Mick McCarthy.

Evans out
Poll: Are Burgers the new Cheese?

Declan Rice chooses England on 18:15 - Feb 13 with 2975 viewsRedX

Declan Rice chooses England on 17:03 - Feb 13 by clive_baker

Good on him for being true to his bank balance.

Opportunistic my arse. You would want to go away and listen to a few Interviews he did when he was called up to the Ireland senior team.
Declan Rice chooses England on 18:31 - Feb 13 with 2950 viewsm14_blue

Declan Rice chooses England on 18:15 - Feb 13 by RedX

Good on him for being true to his bank balance.

Opportunistic my arse. You would want to go away and listen to a few Interviews he did when he was called up to the Ireland senior team.

Jesus, what an incredibly bitter post.

He’s English and has opted to play for England. They are also a far better football team and likely to be so for the duration of his career.

It can’t have been an easy decision for him and I am 100% sure it won’t have been motivated by money.
Declan Rice chooses England on 18:34 - Feb 13 with 2945 viewsyorkshire

Wales are another country that has been doing that for a while now as well
Declan Rice chooses England on 18:38 - Feb 13 with 2938 viewsm14_blue

Declan Rice chooses England on 18:34 - Feb 13 by yorkshire

Wales are another country that has been doing that for a while now as well

Yeah, rather undermines the whole point of international football in my eyes although if it’s within the rules then you can’t blame them I suppose.

They certainly shouldn’t be getting salty when the Englishmen they try to poach choose to represent their actual country instead though.
Declan Rice chooses England on 18:46 - Feb 13 with 2922 viewsSuperblue95

You’re probably reading too much into that and failing to take account of the fact that Ireland are so poor that they throw caps out to anyone with any semblance of talent to make up the numbers

My hobbies include being quiet during trips, clapping with songs, and diabetes.
Poll: Englands player of the tournament

Declan Rice chooses England on 18:56 - Feb 13 with 2901 viewsRedX

Declan Rice chooses England on 18:31 - Feb 13 by m14_blue

He’s English and has opted to play for England. They are also a far better football team and likely to be so for the duration of his career.

It can’t have been an easy decision for him and I am 100% sure it won’t have been motivated by money.

Of course it’s bitter. He has played us like a fiddle.

Also, if you don’t think this is money motivated you are very naive.

As for him being English. It’s not as straight forward as where you are born at all. He’s being singing(pics can be provided) the Irish anthem since he was 15.
Declan Rice chooses England on 19:14 - Feb 13 with 2867 viewsm14_blue

Declan Rice chooses England on 18:56 - Feb 13 by RedX

Of course it’s bitter. He has played us like a fiddle.

Also, if you don’t think this is money motivated you are very naive.

As for him being English. It’s not as straight forward as where you are born at all. He’s being singing(pics can be provided) the Irish anthem since he was 15.

Ok, we’ll have to agree to disagree.

I can understand you being frustrated but think you’re being incredibly harsh on a young man who was put in an impossible position.

And no, I don’t think it’s money oriented at all.
Declan Rice chooses England on 19:22 - Feb 13 with 2853 viewsLeagueOne

When nationality becomes a career choice you have to wonder how invested, other than the money, these players are in representing their country.

I'd never play for anyone but England even if I qualified for them because I would feel a total fraud myself. Seeing him celebrate for Ireland in that picture makes you wonder. I mean Ireland has forever been a team where anyone and everyone has played for them, in the late 80's, early 90's they were green with an English accent, but i'd never want England to become like that where everyone with a slight qualification suddenly gets picked, are we that bad at sport in England these days?

It's time to make the best of it.
Poll: Would you leave TWTD if political threads were banned?

Declan Rice chooses England on 19:26 - Feb 13 with 2835 viewsm14_blue

Declan Rice chooses England on 19:22 - Feb 13 by LeagueOne

When nationality becomes a career choice you have to wonder how invested, other than the money, these players are in representing their country.

I'd never play for anyone but England even if I qualified for them because I would feel a total fraud myself. Seeing him celebrate for Ireland in that picture makes you wonder. I mean Ireland has forever been a team where anyone and everyone has played for them, in the late 80's, early 90's they were green with an English accent, but i'd never want England to become like that where everyone with a slight qualification suddenly gets picked, are we that bad at sport in England these days?

Rice is English, born in England as were both of his parents.
Declan Rice chooses England on 19:33 - Feb 13 with 2821 viewsEireannach_gorm

Declan Rice chooses England on 18:31 - Feb 13 by m14_blue

It is not a particularly bitter post, it just points out that it is more lucrative to declare for England. The chap has played through all the under age groups with Ireland and has played non competitively for the senior team.

Ireland has no special derogation from the FIFA statute, Article 7: Acquisition of a new nationality.

Any player who refers to art. 5 par. 1 to assume a new nationality and who has not played international football in accordance with art. 5 par. 2 shall be eligible to play for the new representative team only if he fulfi ls one of the following conditions:
a) He was born on the territory of the relevant association;
b) His biological mother or biological father was born on the territory of the relevant association;
c) His grandmother or grandfather was born on the territory of the relevant association;
d) He has lived continuously for at least five years after reaching the age of 18 on the territory of the relevant association.

All sports have rules in relation to eligibility to play for the international team. England has had plenty of non English born players in their cricket and rugby teams but legitimately so according to the rules of those sports. Rugby has an even looser definition of nationality with many players playing for two countries.

The slightly sour taste left by Declan declaring for England is from the fact that he came up through the Irish under age system and seemed happy to play for the senior team. I wish him well in what should be long international career because he is a fine footballer. The unfortunate thing is that we need him a lot more than England do.
Declan Rice chooses England on 19:45 - Feb 13 with 2805 viewsm14_blue

Declan Rice chooses England on 19:33 - Feb 13 by Eireannach_gorm

It is not a particularly bitter post, it just points out that it is more lucrative to declare for England. The chap has played through all the under age groups with Ireland and has played non competitively for the senior team.

Ireland has no special derogation from the FIFA statute, Article 7: Acquisition of a new nationality.

Any player who refers to art. 5 par. 1 to assume a new nationality and who has not played international football in accordance with art. 5 par. 2 shall be eligible to play for the new representative team only if he fulfi ls one of the following conditions:
b) His biological mother or biological father was born on the territory of the relevant association;
c) His grandmother or grandfather was born on the territory of the relevant association;
d) He has lived continuously for at least five years after reaching the age of 18 on the territory of the relevant association.

All sports have rules in relation to eligibility to play for the international team. England has had plenty of non English born players in their cricket and rugby teams but legitimately so according to the rules of those sports. Rugby has an even looser definition of nationality with many players playing for two countries.

The slightly sour taste left by Declan declaring for England is from the fact that he came up through the Irish under age system and seemed happy to play for the senior team. I wish him well in what should be long international career because he is a fine footballer. The unfortunate thing is that we need him a lot more than England do.

I can entirely understand the frustration but do you honestly think the decision was motivated by money??

He obviously has a great affiliation with Ireland but the lad is as English as me (exactly actually) and potentially has the opportunity to represent his actual country, which also happens to be a far better prospect from a footballing point of view.

I get that it’s annoying, particularly given the unusual dearth of talent over there at the moment, but to try and pass it off as greed does seem unnecessarily bitter to me, and does your compatriots no credit whatsoever.

With any luck the reaction to this will put off any future players from having their heads turned by Ireland at such a young age too......
Declan Rice chooses England on 19:50 - Feb 13 with 2795 viewsm14_blue

PS. What’s the general view of Mick’s appointment over there?

The style will be a continuation of the last couple of years won’t it?
Declan Rice chooses England on 19:55 - Feb 13 with 2789 viewsjontysnut

My lad was sounded out when he was a young player despite probably not being able to point out Ireland on a map.Its as much about agents as any badge clutching loyalty.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024