Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Down but definitely not out 08:23 - Feb 14 with 1243 viewsSteve_M

It's odd being proud of a team that just earnt it's first point in five matches, that sits ten points from safety, but I definitely am after last night.

That's probably the most complete performance of the season, lots of bitty ones but it's been rare that we've kept that much pressure on for almost the whole match. Almost because, yet again, we made an abysmal start and clearly tired as we went into injury time but the contrast between that and the limp defeat to an average Sheffield Wednesday side eleven days earlier was stark.

One of the biggest problems with being as poor as we have all season is that our confidence is incredibly fragile. It says something that we've recovered well from conceding with the first attack of the game in two successive matches (and also that we still make such basic errors that we make things so much harder for ourselves) but it's taken a long while for us to get over the Millwall defeat. That first half was the last time we looked as confident as we did last night.

There was a certain amount of Derby taking us lightly, especially after the early goal but that shouldn't take away from how we played. It just felt so positive, Keane and Quaner worked well together, Judge and Bishop offered a lot on the ball and the defence was (mostly) resolute.

Perhaps the biggest question remains whether we have enough of a goal threat at the moment. The team that started had four goals between them all season and we probably didn't test Kroos enough when in good positions. Jonas's shot off the line was great and we looked to have a bit more threat from corners even if we didn't quite make the most of them.

The goal was good though, a strong positive run from Quaner, plenty of supporting players and Nolan hitting the ball well and early. I'm pleased for him, he's had a difficult season and has rarely looked like remotely justifying what we paid for him. There's definitely a player in there somewhere but one that lacks a bit of belief and consistency.

Is a point going to be enough to make a difference at the end of the season? Not on it's own but had we picked up a few more draws - Millwall, Villa, Sheffield Wed perhaps - then we would be in a much better position. Equalising is good, it's been a long time since the last one at Swansea.

It helps with Saturday as well, Stoke are talented but not playing particularly well and adapting to another change in manager. It's certainly winnable but so are most games in this division. If we could win it though well maybe, just maybe, there would still be a small chance of staying up.

It's unlikely, we're too far gone but if we are to go down then I want us to go down playing like we did yesterday and I think Paul Lambert does too. Do that, stay in touch as long as we can and end the season with us all looking forward to being able to win matches on a consistent basis next season. That might be as much as we can hope for at the moment but, given most of us will be supporting the club as passionately whatever the division, then that will have to do.

COYFB.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Down but definitely not out on 08:25 - Feb 14 with 1222 viewsReuser_is_God

First time I’ve enjoyed watching us on tele since Wigan away in 14/15.

Get a different perspective than what you do when stood in the SBRL & thought we were excellent.

Evans out
Poll: Are Burgers the new Cheese?

Down but definitely not out on 08:37 - Feb 14 with 1163 viewsportmanking

Down but definitely not out on 08:25 - Feb 14 by Reuser_is_God

First time I’ve enjoyed watching us on tele since Wigan away in 14/15.

Get a different perspective than what you do when stood in the SBRL & thought we were excellent.

Totally agree, refreshing, dynamic football.

Kenlock, Judge and Chalobah the stand-outs for me, with honourable mentions for Keane and Bish.
Down but definitely not out on 08:39 - Feb 14 with 1162 viewsITFC_Forever

What many seem to have missed is that it was Nolan who won the tackle (and possession) and started the move that led to the goal, showing exactly what we all hoped was the player we bought in the summer.

For whatever reason(s), he hasn't shown that often enough so far, but it proved what he can do and that there is a player in there as a few of us have suspected all along - the challenge now is for him to find consistency.

Bishop is improving with every game - and is rising to the challenge set a few weeks ago of putting together a run of games. Now we've got him fit and back on form (and signed a new contract), he's going to be a real asset going forward.

Judge oozes class and is far too good for L1, however if we have the option in his contract, then we should be invoking that as soon as we can.... he would be a steal in that division.

The defence looked disjointed at times last night, which is no surprise given the make-up of it - but they managed to survive on character and good old-fashioned booting it away when needed.

Keane and Quaner were busy up-front, Keane is another who is improving as he gets more match-fit, and Quaner has a very good touch for a big man. Not convinced either / both will be here next season, and when this season becomes irretrievable, then surely it'll become time for the likes of Harrison and Jackson to get more game time....

P 1123, W 500, D 287, L 336, F 1704, A 1356
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

Down but definitely not out on 08:40 - Feb 14 with 1148 viewshomer_123

Good match, nice football at times but oh for a goal scorer. by homer_123 13 Feb 2019 23:50
Impressed with everyone today, we looked like a unit. We harried, chased, worked, played some football, defended generally well (bar the 1st min).

Oh to have someone upfront that can make a run, be available for a pass as the play from the midfield at times was excellent and if Bish had a runner or two in front of him....well.

However, that kind of performance is the bar minimum that we have needed all season. I would suggest that is the first time this season that we've actually stamped a bit of authority onto a game, sure the last 10 mins were a touch stretched, they hit the woodwork but, finally, we actually made a team work. At times Derby were chasing shadows, the midfield used the ball so well. Triangles, runs off the ball, forward, incisive passing at times.

We still lack a cutting edge and/or if we'd had Keane and Quanar a little more match fit etc. we might have created 1 or 2 more clear cut chances.

Tonight was a vast improvement over, primarily because even though we went a goal down, we battled, played, mixed it up and generally actually made a bloody fist of it.

Well done - now we've finally set a decent bar - a platform on which we can inch forward. Saturday, clean sheet and nick a win?

As I said in the above, the first time we've actually stamped anything like authority on a game.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Down but definitely not out on 09:54 - Feb 14 with 1039 viewsSteve_M

Down but definitely not out on 08:40 - Feb 14 by homer_123

Good match, nice football at times but oh for a goal scorer. by homer_123 13 Feb 2019 23:50
Impressed with everyone today, we looked like a unit. We harried, chased, worked, played some football, defended generally well (bar the 1st min).

Oh to have someone upfront that can make a run, be available for a pass as the play from the midfield at times was excellent and if Bish had a runner or two in front of him....well.

However, that kind of performance is the bar minimum that we have needed all season. I would suggest that is the first time this season that we've actually stamped a bit of authority onto a game, sure the last 10 mins were a touch stretched, they hit the woodwork but, finally, we actually made a team work. At times Derby were chasing shadows, the midfield used the ball so well. Triangles, runs off the ball, forward, incisive passing at times.

We still lack a cutting edge and/or if we'd had Keane and Quanar a little more match fit etc. we might have created 1 or 2 more clear cut chances.

Tonight was a vast improvement over, primarily because even though we went a goal down, we battled, played, mixed it up and generally actually made a bloody fist of it.

Well done - now we've finally set a decent bar - a platform on which we can inch forward. Saturday, clean sheet and nick a win?

As I said in the above, the first time we've actually stamped anything like authority on a game.

On the striker point, I wonder if Harrison will start on Saturday. Lambert has been cautious about not overplaying players when we have three games in a week. That might be better than knackering Quaner again.

EH didn't actually impress a great deal last night but did on Sunday and his pressing against Sheffield United and Millwall was an important factor in the good part of those games.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Down but definitely not out on 09:55 - Feb 14 with 1033 viewsITFC_Forever

Down but definitely not out on 09:54 - Feb 14 by Steve_M

On the striker point, I wonder if Harrison will start on Saturday. Lambert has been cautious about not overplaying players when we have three games in a week. That might be better than knackering Quaner again.

EH didn't actually impress a great deal last night but did on Sunday and his pressing against Sheffield United and Millwall was an important factor in the good part of those games.

Harrison also has a very useful knack of dropping in deep to help defend when he has to, especially on set-pieces.

Down but definitely not out on 10:57 - Feb 14 with 962 viewshomer_123

Down but definitely not out on 09:54 - Feb 14 by Steve_M

Might well be the case Steve.

Not sure we have a striker in the camp that can make the runs to take advantage of Bish though. I might be being harsh but Keane is a hold up player (excellent last night) and Jackson, Harrison and Quaner are all similar, pacey direct wanting to play off the shoulder. I think Sears is the only striker to make the odd angled run, he's marginally less direct.

As I say, I might be being harsh here.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Down but definitely not out on 11:14 - Feb 14 with 907 viewsDarth_Koont

Agreed.

As against the Budgies (despite the unflattering scoreline) we look like a team that’s finally got its better players on the pitch, filling gaps and up to match fitness. It’s taken 30+ games to get somewhere near where we should have been in August and September.

The low confidence is still an issue though in both boxes. If we could somehow be that bit more composed at creating and taking chances, and dealing with pressure in our own box, then we could easily go on a run. But that’s a huge if unless we get lucky.

And a general point re: set pieces. Even with Judge putting in better deliveries we look incapable of working the opposition keeper. While at the other end we’ve let a lot of goals in with the opposition taking their set-piece chances. If we can turn that around or even balance it out then we’d pick up a lot more points even if we’re not always putting in a good team performance.

Pronouns: He/Him

Login to get fewer ads

Down but definitely not out on 11:43 - Feb 14 with 856 viewsITFC_Forever

Down but definitely not out on 11:14 - Feb 14 by Darth_Koont

Agreed.

As against the Budgies (despite the unflattering scoreline) we look like a team that’s finally got its better players on the pitch, filling gaps and up to match fitness. It’s taken 30+ games to get somewhere near where we should have been in August and September.

The low confidence is still an issue though in both boxes. If we could somehow be that bit more composed at creating and taking chances, and dealing with pressure in our own box, then we could easily go on a run. But that’s a huge if unless we get lucky.

And a general point re: set pieces. Even with Judge putting in better deliveries we look incapable of working the opposition keeper. While at the other end we’ve let a lot of goals in with the opposition taking their set-piece chances. If we can turn that around or even balance it out then we’d pick up a lot more points even if we’re not always putting in a good team performance.

Ironic that our best attempt at a winner was when Judge scuffed a corner, everyone somehow missed it until Jonas thumped a shot at goal which was headed off the line.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024