Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Desktop PC nerd advice 12:53 - Feb 14 with 6635 viewsLord_Lucan

Herro

I need a very cheap desktop PC (Just the tower thing) and would consider refurbs.

Any ideas?

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Desktop PC nerd advice on 18:03 - Feb 15 with 2662 viewsrapier

Desktop PC nerd advice on 13:16 - Feb 15 by Lord_Lucan

What dya reckon?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/183505219772?ul_noapp=true

The machine you linked here will suit your needs fine, if you read the description it comes with a wifi dongle too.

Sorry, just reread your post...

The other "dual core" will be the much older and slower Core2 Duo CPU's and I would suggest staying away from them, and spend the little extra to get an i3 dual core instead much better CPU's.

Hope that helps.
[Post edited 15 Feb 2019 18:11]
Desktop PC nerd advice on 18:26 - Feb 15 with 2649 viewshappybeingblue

whats your budget ? i got a sff acer veriton l670g only paid £50 its cracking running windows 10 core2duo processor which is your main concern tbh ,its few yrs old but if you are on a budget its fine ssd ones will cost ya,only thing it doesnt have is a hdmi in the back ,but tbh thats no big deal ,one on ebay for £40 and paid £10 for a wifi adaptor ,the kids have all the posh laptops :) no faster than mine
Desktop PC nerd advice on 18:33 - Feb 15 with 2645 viewsThe_Last_Baron

Desktop PC nerd advice on 15:13 - Feb 14 by rapier

Small form factor or ultra small form factor (size of pc)

i3 will be fine for amazon and web stuff

8gb ram is more than enough

If the man just wants a cheap computer all he needs is 4gb of RAM, 125gb hard drive and doesn;t need to be spending anymore than £300 on a new machine. £250 would probably do it.

Poll: Would you support a permanent return to the old yellow Town badge?

Desktop PC nerd advice on 18:40 - Feb 15 with 2637 viewsLord_Lucan

Desktop PC nerd advice on 17:43 - Feb 15 by Coastalblue

To be honest if that's literally all you're going to be doing with it, why there could be arguments about what is and isn't better I would think almost anything for around £100 is going to do what you want, you're not asking much of it in this day and age.

Something dearer might be a bit slicker and quicker but I doubt you'd notice a ton of difference.

I don’t really give a sh1t how slow it is as I won’t be using it.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.

Desktop PC nerd advice on 19:08 - Feb 15 with 2620 viewsIpswich_Crazy

My mum has an old PC she is trying to get rid of, its a dell tower with windows 10 on bit sure if that would suit your needs?

Poll: Are fans getting fed up with Sky Sports changing our Kick off schedules?

Desktop PC nerd advice on 19:20 - Feb 15 with 2614 viewsLord_Lucan

Desktop PC nerd advice on 19:08 - Feb 15 by Ipswich_Crazy

My mum has an old PC she is trying to get rid of, its a dell tower with windows 10 on bit sure if that would suit your needs?

Thanks for the offer - and don’t take this the wrong way - but I don’t like buying anything from people who I wouldn’t want to throw it through their window if it went wrong after 5 minutes.

Desktop PC nerd advice on 20:04 - Feb 15 with 2600 viewsDeano69

Desktop PC nerd advice on 15:39 - Feb 15 by Lord_Lucan

I have widened my search and found the underneath for £83. It's not SDD - but does that really matter?

PRODUCTDELL OR HP
WARRANTY 6 Months UK WARRANTY
CPU INTEL DUAL CORE
OPERATING SYSTEMWINDOWS 10 INSTALLED.
250GB
OPTICAL DRIVEBUILT-IN DVD
CONDITIONGRADE A
WIFIYES, Ready to use Internet
COLOURBLACK BUSINESS
RAM 8GB
GRAPHICS
INTEGRRATED
FORM FACTORDESKTOP/SFF (5-7 USB ports)
WARRANTYYES, UK WARRANTY

If you are buying used then a non-SSD will most likely mean it’s the original drive, which is pretty much the only component with moving parts therefore more prone to failure.

A normal HDD is adequate, but SSD will vastly improve bootup and shutdown speeds and normal operation. Just my opinion, but I wouldn’t buy a computer without one these days. But there again I have only been in IT for 30 years so what would I know - lol.

Poll: What view setting do you use for TWTD

Desktop PC nerd advice on 20:27 - Feb 15 with 2587 viewsbournemouthblue

https://www.ijtdirect.co.uk sell plenty of budget PCs but make sure you don't get anything too old

You should able to find something competent at a reasonable price
[Post edited 15 Feb 2019 20:28]

Alcohol is the answer but I can't remember the question!
Poll: Rate this transfer window

Login to get fewer ads

Desktop PC nerd advice on 22:16 - Feb 15 with 2566 viewsThe_Last_Baron

Desktop PC nerd advice on 20:04 - Feb 15 by Deano69

If you are buying used then a non-SSD will most likely mean it’s the original drive, which is pretty much the only component with moving parts therefore more prone to failure.

A normal HDD is adequate, but SSD will vastly improve bootup and shutdown speeds and normal operation. Just my opinion, but I wouldn’t buy a computer without one these days. But there again I have only been in IT for 30 years so what would I know - lol.

HDD are fine, I've never had one fail on me.

Poll: Would you support a permanent return to the old yellow Town badge?

Desktop PC nerd advice on 23:13 - Feb 15 with 2548 viewsjeera

Desktop PC nerd advice on 20:04 - Feb 15 by Deano69

I can understand your recommending ssd for laptops because of durability etc, but for basic stuff on a desktop it can't be worth turning down the hdd option when they're so comparatively cheap?

Of course he can always stick one in himself at some point too if that works out better.

Even I can manage that so it can't be too difficult for most people.
[Post edited 16 Feb 2019 0:07]

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Desktop PC nerd advice on 08:53 - Feb 16 with 2519 viewsDeano69

Desktop PC nerd advice on 22:16 - Feb 15 by The_Last_Baron

HDD are fine, I've never had one fail on me.

2 last week

Desktop PC nerd advice on 09:01 - Feb 16 with 2511 viewsDeano69

Desktop PC nerd advice on 23:13 - Feb 15 by jeera

I can understand your recommending ssd for laptops because of durability etc, but for basic stuff on a desktop it can't be worth turning down the hdd option when they're so comparatively cheap?

Of course he can always stick one in himself at some point too if that works out better.

Even I can manage that so it can't be too difficult for most people.
[Post edited 16 Feb 2019 0:07]

He was asking for a recommendation and I obliged. Don’t recall a suggestion of a budget so suggested accordingly. Seems less economical to subsequently change out a drive to me but there you go.

We supply around 500 pcs and laptops (new) year and support 100’s, and that’s still my recommendation. We have been disposing similar spec systems to some of those posted on here as they have become too slow or unreliable. Something 3 years old(ish) could be given a new lease of life with an SSD, a 256gb one is less than £50.

Anyway, that’s my recommendation. I will take absolutely no offence if ignored.

Desktop PC nerd advice on 10:35 - Feb 16 with 2489 viewsjeera

Desktop PC nerd advice on 09:01 - Feb 16 by Deano69

He was asking for a recommendation and I obliged. Don’t recall a suggestion of a budget so suggested accordingly. Seems less economical to subsequently change out a drive to me but there you go.

We supply around 500 pcs and laptops (new) year and support 100’s, and that’s still my recommendation. We have been disposing similar spec systems to some of those posted on here as they have become too slow or unreliable. Something 3 years old(ish) could be given a new lease of life with an SSD, a 256gb one is less than £50.

Anyway, that’s my recommendation. I will take absolutely no offence if ignored.

Sorry. I was only making conversation!

Fair enough though. I know where to come when I need help.
[Post edited 16 Feb 2019 10:51]

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Desktop PC nerd advice on 13:50 - Feb 16 with 2473 viewsDeano69

Desktop PC nerd advice on 10:35 - Feb 16 by jeera

Sorry. I was only making conversation!

Fair enough though. I know where to come when I need help.
[Post edited 16 Feb 2019 10:51]

No problem buddy, not having a dig. Cheers

Desktop PC nerd advice on 17:05 - Feb 16 with 2451 viewsMVBlue

HP Microserver dual processor with DVD drive, £250. Put Ubuntu Linux on it, learn a few skills and install Libre office.

Leave Microsh1t behind.

Poll: Whats the best league to watch outside of England?

Desktop PC nerd advice on 17:33 - Feb 16 with 2442 viewsInvictus

Look for an HP Elite 8300 on eBay with an i5 processor, 8GB ram, Windows 10, should be about £110 with a 500Gb standard harddrive or maybe £140 with a faster SSD.

Very reliable and still very fast machine for the money. Go for the medium sized one.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024