Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Desktop PC nerd advice 12:53 - Feb 14 with 6645 viewsLord_Lucan

Herro

I need a very cheap desktop PC (Just the tower thing) and would consider refurbs.

Any ideas?

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Desktop PC nerd advice on 12:57 - Feb 14 with 3958 viewsurbanblue

Retro shop?
Desktop PC nerd advice on 13:58 - Feb 14 with 3899 viewsrapier

Go to ebay and have a look for Dell optiplex 790
Desktop PC nerd advice on 14:03 - Feb 14 with 3888 viewsbaxterbasics

I would go on Gumtree or a local Facebook sales group for a second hand jobbie. There's usually plenty around.

zip
Poll: Your minimum standard of 'success' for our return to The Championship?

Desktop PC nerd advice on 14:08 - Feb 14 with 3880 viewsLord_Lucan

Desktop PC nerd advice on 13:58 - Feb 14 by rapier

Go to ebay and have a look for Dell optiplex 790

I am currently taking your advice - but may I ask why such a specific answer?

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.

Desktop PC nerd advice on 14:12 - Feb 14 with 3874 viewsrapier

Desktop PC nerd advice on 14:08 - Feb 14 by Lord_Lucan

I am currently taking your advice - but may I ask why such a specific answer?

a friend of mine wanted a super budget gaming system, we started looking at the 790's with an i5 cpu, but it was a PITA to find one that was in a normal size tower, ended up going with the HP Compaq 6200 Pro.

if you are looking to put a graphics card into the machine at all, make sure it is a full size tower!
[Post edited 14 Feb 2019 14:17]
Desktop PC nerd advice on 14:24 - Feb 14 with 3852 viewsbadadski

Desktop PC nerd advice on 14:12 - Feb 14 by rapier

a friend of mine wanted a super budget gaming system, we started looking at the 790's with an i5 cpu, but it was a PITA to find one that was in a normal size tower, ended up going with the HP Compaq 6200 Pro.

if you are looking to put a graphics card into the machine at all, make sure it is a full size tower!

i picked up my alienware small decktop which made for gaming for less than £300 second hand. They look cool as well as perform.
Desktop PC nerd advice on 14:30 - Feb 14 with 3844 viewsrapier

Desktop PC nerd advice on 14:24 - Feb 14 by badadski

i picked up my alienware small decktop which made for gaming for less than £300 second hand. They look cool as well as perform.

Nice work, we had a budget of £150....
Desktop PC nerd advice on 14:42 - Feb 14 with 3824 viewsbadadski

Desktop PC nerd advice on 14:30 - Feb 14 by rapier

Nice work, we had a budget of £150....

typically buy it now some are around the £270 mark but if you bid and get lucky which is what i done with one that is pick up only and within driving distance could be worth a shot as some on now for starting at £110.

Mine was alienware x51 i5, 6gb ram and decent graphics card which they all have as gaming pc. i wasted it as my media centre mostly but of course had a few little gaming sessions when time allowed.
Login to get fewer ads

Desktop PC nerd advice on 14:44 - Feb 14 with 3822 viewsbadadski

Desktop PC nerd advice on 14:42 - Feb 14 by badadski

typically buy it now some are around the £270 mark but if you bid and get lucky which is what i done with one that is pick up only and within driving distance could be worth a shot as some on now for starting at £110.

Mine was alienware x51 i5, 6gb ram and decent graphics card which they all have as gaming pc. i wasted it as my media centre mostly but of course had a few little gaming sessions when time allowed.

This ends today, ok big drive but you get a daytrip out of it and currently no bids.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Dell-Alienware-X51-1TB-Intel-Core-i5-4th-Gen-3-3GHz-8
Desktop PC nerd advice on 15:04 - Feb 14 with 3798 viewsLord_Lucan

All I want to do is use it for Amazon sales and distribution.

Desktop PC nerd advice on 15:08 - Feb 14 with 3782 viewsLord_Lucan

Bloody hell, why are things so difficult?

There are options that I don't understand.

1/ SFF or USFF

2/ i3 or i5 processor

3/ I presume 8GB RAM is enough for processing a few sh1tty Amazon orders?

Desktop PC nerd advice on 15:13 - Feb 14 with 3771 viewsrapier

Desktop PC nerd advice on 15:08 - Feb 14 by Lord_Lucan

Bloody hell, why are things so difficult?

There are options that I don't understand.

1/ SFF or USFF

2/ i3 or i5 processor

3/ I presume 8GB RAM is enough for processing a few sh1tty Amazon orders?

Small form factor or ultra small form factor (size of pc)

i3 will be fine for amazon and web stuff

8gb ram is more than enough
Desktop PC nerd advice on 15:15 - Feb 14 with 3763 viewsLord_Lucan

Desktop PC nerd advice on 15:13 - Feb 14 by rapier

Small form factor or ultra small form factor (size of pc)

i3 will be fine for amazon and web stuff

8gb ram is more than enough

Man cool!

Desktop PC nerd advice on 15:50 - Feb 14 with 3689 viewsRobTheMonk

Would a Raspberry Pi do the job?
Desktop PC nerd advice on 12:10 - Feb 15 with 3563 viewsDeano69

Ideally a SSD hard drive and Windows 10 (Windows 7 goes out of support Jan 2020 so there will be loads of people trying to dump them)

Poll: What view setting do you use for TWTD

Desktop PC nerd advice on 13:16 - Feb 15 with 3535 viewsLord_Lucan

Desktop PC nerd advice on 12:10 - Feb 15 by Deano69

Ideally a SSD hard drive and Windows 10 (Windows 7 goes out of support Jan 2020 so there will be loads of people trying to dump them)

What dya reckon?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/183505219772?ul_noapp=true

Desktop PC nerd advice on 13:52 - Feb 15 with 3507 viewsCoastalblue

Desktop PC nerd advice on 13:16 - Feb 15 by Lord_Lucan

What dya reckon?

First thing I notice is that it says Win 10 in the description and Win 7 in the specs, might be a genuine error but would make me suspicious.

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.
Poll: If someone promised you promotion next season, would you think

Desktop PC nerd advice on 14:02 - Feb 15 with 3493 viewsLord_Lucan

Desktop PC nerd advice on 13:52 - Feb 15 by Coastalblue

First thing I notice is that it says Win 10 in the description and Win 7 in the specs, might be a genuine error but would make me suspicious.

Well spotted, I have posed the question - some of these don't seem to come with built in wifi either which is a bit daft

Desktop PC nerd advice on 14:28 - Feb 15 with 3479 viewsCoastalblue

Desktop PC nerd advice on 14:02 - Feb 15 by Lord_Lucan

Well spotted, I have posed the question - some of these don't seem to come with built in wifi either which is a bit daft

For what you want to do it should manage that comfortably as long as you can cope with a bit of judder when you stop to watch a video for a while.

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.

Desktop PC nerd advice on 14:44 - Feb 15 with 3474 viewsDeano69

Desktop PC nerd advice on 13:16 - Feb 15 by Lord_Lucan

What dya reckon?

It’s not a SSD drive which would be my suggestion and as mentioned the windows 7 / 10 thing.

Poll: What view setting do you use for TWTD

Desktop PC nerd advice on 15:39 - Feb 15 with 3462 viewsLord_Lucan

Desktop PC nerd advice on 14:44 - Feb 15 by Deano69

It’s not a SSD drive which would be my suggestion and as mentioned the windows 7 / 10 thing.

I have widened my search and found the underneath for £83. It's not SDD - but does that really matter?

PRODUCTDELL OR HP
WARRANTY 6 Months UK WARRANTY
CPU INTEL DUAL CORE
OPERATING SYSTEMWINDOWS 10 INSTALLED.
250GB
OPTICAL DRIVEBUILT-IN DVD
CONDITIONGRADE A
WIFIYES, Ready to use Internet
COLOURBLACK BUSINESS
RAM 8GB
GRAPHICS
INTEGRRATED
FORM FACTORDESKTOP/SFF (5-7 USB ports)
WARRANTYYES, UK WARRANTY

Desktop PC nerd advice on 15:52 - Feb 15 with 3446 viewsCoastalblue

Desktop PC nerd advice on 15:39 - Feb 15 by Lord_Lucan

I have widened my search and found the underneath for £83. It's not SDD - but does that really matter?

PRODUCTDELL OR HP
WARRANTY 6 Months UK WARRANTY
CPU INTEL DUAL CORE
OPERATING SYSTEMWINDOWS 10 INSTALLED.
250GB
OPTICAL DRIVEBUILT-IN DVD
CONDITIONGRADE A
WIFIYES, Ready to use Internet
COLOURBLACK BUSINESS
RAM 8GB
GRAPHICS
INTEGRRATED
FORM FACTORDESKTOP/SFF (5-7 USB ports)
WARRANTYYES, UK WARRANTY

I'm not a techy but occasionally build my own machines, for what you're doing I wouldn't personally worry about an ssd though they are nice in terms of boot up times etc. That's not to say someone better versed than me can't give you a good reason to need one.

That doesn't say what the CPU actually is, but other than that the rest of it would eat processing orders for Amazon, ebay etc.

I used to run a sideline with an online shop which also sold through ebay and Amazon and ran that on a machine not much different.

Desktop PC nerd advice on 16:03 - Feb 15 with 3439 viewsLord_Lucan

Desktop PC nerd advice on 15:52 - Feb 15 by Coastalblue

I'm not a techy but occasionally build my own machines, for what you're doing I wouldn't personally worry about an ssd though they are nice in terms of boot up times etc. That's not to say someone better versed than me can't give you a good reason to need one.

That doesn't say what the CPU actually is, but other than that the rest of it would eat processing orders for Amazon, ebay etc.

I used to run a sideline with an online shop which also sold through ebay and Amazon and ran that on a machine not much different.

INTEL DUAL CORE

Put it this way, the current device is rather old - I think it's Windows XP

Desktop PC nerd advice on 17:43 - Feb 15 with 3399 viewsCoastalblue

Desktop PC nerd advice on 16:03 - Feb 15 by Lord_Lucan

INTEL DUAL CORE

Put it this way, the current device is rather old - I think it's Windows XP

To be honest if that's literally all you're going to be doing with it, why there could be arguments about what is and isn't better I would think almost anything for around £100 is going to do what you want, you're not asking much of it in this day and age.

Something dearer might be a bit slicker and quicker but I doubt you'd notice a ton of difference.

Desktop PC nerd advice on 17:47 - Feb 15 with 3392 viewsblueconscience

https://www.dell.com/uk/dfb/p?~ck=mn

always discount codes available to use on the site too.

Poll: What % of ST holders saying they won’t renew, will end up renewing regardless?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024