Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
not about the game 21:45 - Feb 14 with 1490 viewsbritbiker

Just a general observation. Who made the decision last night to shut many of the bars in the North Stand. The queues at half time were horrid. I went to the upstairs bars also and they were packed also. Many of us gave up trying to get a drink or food as the match had restarted.

I get that attendances have dropped but the catering at Portman Road is a nightmare.

not about the game on 07:48 - Feb 15 with 1245 viewsSteve_M

Similarly, it took ages to get into the ground as not all of the turnstiles were open for the North Stand.

It's almost like we ran things assuming a low midweek crowd and didn't take account of the ticket promotion.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

not about the game on 07:56 - Feb 15 with 1212 views26_Paz

not about the game on 07:48 - Feb 15 by Steve_M

Similarly, it took ages to get into the ground as not all of the turnstiles were open for the North Stand.

It's almost like we ran things assuming a low midweek crowd and didn't take account of the ticket promotion.

That's exactly what they would have done. Do not under estimate their incompetence.

The Paz Man

not about the game on 08:13 - Feb 15 with 1187 viewsBluefish

not about the game on 07:48 - Feb 15 by Steve_M

I went upstairs to the cask bar and I was left slightly confused as they didn't have cask beer. I don't think there was a cask on in the legends one either after the game

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

not about the game on 08:34 - Feb 15 with 1146 viewsHARRY10

More of Evans short term penny pinching, which is the reason the club is in such a state.

Staff are not that expensive in relation to the money they can generate, especially with beer.

The quicker you can turn round sales the more you will make, and the more likely others will go for a drink knowing that they will get served.
not about the game on 09:00 - Feb 15 with 1104 viewsbritbiker

not about the game on 08:34 - Feb 15 by HARRY10

More of Evans short term penny pinching, which is the reason the club is in such a state.

Staff are not that expensive in relation to the money they can generate, especially with beer.

The quicker you can turn round sales the more you will make, and the more likely others will go for a drink knowing that they will get served.

I was surprised by the queues to get in also. Hadnt realised some turnstiles were shut.
Seem to remember this happened also at the last promo game.
It is shortsighted as I try to plan to eat/drink before I get to the ground now, so it is lost future revenue. Only on three occasions this season have I attempted to eat or drink at the ground. Two of them times I gave up and the third time I only got a coffee and chocolate bar as the beer was gone and there was no hot food at all.
Evening games are a bigger issue as getting from work to the match via the A12 doesn't allow any time to eat at home first.

Is part of the problem outsourcing of the catering. (Am I right in thinking it was outsourced this season). They therefore only cater sufficiently to try run out of stock each game with the minimum of staff to carry out that duty. Its short termism as the effect of future lost trade isn't seen. Becomes a downward spiral unless the team does well and new fans turn up unaware of the situation.

If i'm correct about it being outsourced then very little will change as I assume the company doing it doesnt know if they will be the provider the following season and has no real vested interest improving maters going ahead.
not about the game on 09:01 - Feb 15 with 1104 viewsSwansea_Blue

not about the game on 08:34 - Feb 15 by HARRY10

I'm sure people can mange to go 90 minutes without a beer. Although having said that, your bang on about his false economy. You'd think someone with a background in hospitality would be able to maximise revenue from, er, well hospitality pretty much. Just on a larger scale. Suggests to me he's very risk averse - the threat of people not turning up if he fully staffs the place is probably the key driver. Maybe.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

not about the game on 09:03 - Feb 15 with 1090 viewsBluespeed225

not about the game on 09:00 - Feb 15 by britbiker

I was surprised by the queues to get in also. Hadnt realised some turnstiles were shut.
Seem to remember this happened also at the last promo game.
It is shortsighted as I try to plan to eat/drink before I get to the ground now, so it is lost future revenue. Only on three occasions this season have I attempted to eat or drink at the ground. Two of them times I gave up and the third time I only got a coffee and chocolate bar as the beer was gone and there was no hot food at all.
Evening games are a bigger issue as getting from work to the match via the A12 doesn't allow any time to eat at home first.

Is part of the problem outsourcing of the catering. (Am I right in thinking it was outsourced this season). They therefore only cater sufficiently to try run out of stock each game with the minimum of staff to carry out that duty. Its short termism as the effect of future lost trade isn't seen. Becomes a downward spiral unless the team does well and new fans turn up unaware of the situation.

If i'm correct about it being outsourced then very little will change as I assume the company doing it doesnt know if they will be the provider the following season and has no real vested interest improving maters going ahead.

yup, gave up eating/drinking in the ground a while back. It's not difficult to manage to get a lot of beer over the counter in 20 minutes if your set up right..
not about the game on 12:25 - Feb 15 with 985 viewsHARRY10

not about the game on 09:01 - Feb 15 by Swansea_Blue

I'm sure people can mange to go 90 minutes without a beer. Although having said that, your bang on about his false economy. You'd think someone with a background in hospitality would be able to maximise revenue from, er, well hospitality pretty much. Just on a larger scale. Suggests to me he's very risk averse - the threat of people not turning up if he fully staffs the place is probably the key driver. Maybe.

I'm sure they can manage, just as do they normally stuff a pie in the gobs at 3.45pm during the week ? Nope, I would say.

However, eating, having a beer or two is part of the 'package' for a good many so why not sit down with those who do and listen to their thoughts and suggestions.

Perhaps it is no great earner in the grand scheme of things but look how 'tinkering' with the ticket price a bit has boosted the numbers. I can't think there was anyone who did not appreciate a fuller house than normal, and by taking a well earned point off Derby many may well be back on Saturday.

Even better if they thought that 'why not get down to the ground grab a bit eand have a drink or two (or three) there" - so no long queuing outside to get in.

Listen to fans who have seen it done better elsewhere. We need someone to shake up the club (give it a wobble ?). Compete with local pubs on price and delivery of service. Make supporters feel valued, not a bl oody nuisance by turning up.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024