Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
New York Times British-Irish Dialect Quiz 12:58 - Feb 15 with 8695 viewsPhilTWTD

Anyone else done this? Quite accurate for me, apart from the Portsmouth bit, although I was talking to Ray Crawford on Life's a Pitch last week so some of his dialect may have rubbed off.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2019/02/15/upshot/british-irish-dialect-quiz

This post has been edited by an administrator
New York Times British-Irish Dialect Quiz on 13:01 - Feb 15 with 5596 viewsSteve_M

Mine was very similar, slightly more into West Suffolk than yours.

Although I also have the odd Northern word in my vocabulary that I picked up whilst at uni.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

New York Times British-Irish Dialect Quiz on 13:04 - Feb 15 with 5582 viewsIllinoisblue

very similar to yours although Bournemouth was highlighted instead of Portsmouth

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

New York Times British-Irish Dialect Quiz on 13:11 - Feb 15 with 5555 viewsLord_Lucan

Apparently I am from Southend

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

New York Times British-Irish Dialect Quiz on 13:14 - Feb 15 with 5543 viewsFtnfwest

New York Times British-Irish Dialect Quiz on 13:04 - Feb 15 by Illinoisblue

very similar to yours although Bournemouth was highlighted instead of Portsmouth

the two main areas highlighted for me were luton/cambridge area (i am from cambridge) but then also dorset/kind of hampshire. So i can see a bit of a two area pattern here (hedging their bets)
New York Times British-Irish Dialect Quiz on 13:17 - Feb 15 with 5531 viewsPhilTWTD

New York Times British-Irish Dialect Quiz on 13:01 - Feb 15 by Steve_M

Mine was very similar, slightly more into West Suffolk than yours.

Although I also have the odd Northern word in my vocabulary that I picked up whilst at uni.

I did wonder whether it might pick up some Hull-isms from my time living there but evidently not.

Having filled in the longer version it actually got less accurate. No connection with Bournemouth or St Peter Port and my familial link to Oxfordshire was about four generations ago, so not sure that would have much of an impact.

New York Times British-Irish Dialect Quiz on 13:19 - Feb 15 with 5511 viewsKieran_Knows

Mine was Oxford/Reading way on the first 25 questions.

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

New York Times British-Irish Dialect Quiz on 13:26 - Feb 15 with 5489 viewshomer_123

Taunton, Peterboro and Gloucester

Which, I can safely say, is not where I have been brought up.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

New York Times British-Irish Dialect Quiz on 13:26 - Feb 15 with 5490 viewsSteve_M

New York Times British-Irish Dialect Quiz on 13:17 - Feb 15 by PhilTWTD

I did wonder whether it might pick up some Hull-isms from my time living there but evidently not.

Having filled in the longer version it actually got less accurate. No connection with Bournemouth or St Peter Port and my familial link to Oxfordshire was about four generations ago, so not sure that would have much of an impact.

Some of those words - those for grandparents in particular - are less regional variations than inherited terms within families in my opinion.

Still, a worthwhile use of the working day. I'll go and look at the long version now.

Login to get fewer ads

New York Times British-Irish Dialect Quiz on 13:29 - Feb 15 with 5467 viewsPhilTWTD

New York Times British-Irish Dialect Quiz on 13:26 - Feb 15 by Steve_M

Some of those words - those for grandparents in particular - are less regional variations than inherited terms within families in my opinion.

Still, a worthwhile use of the working day. I'll go and look at the long version now.

Indeed, and class and ethnicity will come into it as well.
New York Times British-Irish Dialect Quiz on 13:31 - Feb 15 with 5462 viewsJeff_winger

My map looks almost exactly the same as yours.
I have only ever lived in Suffolk and Northamptonshire (for 2 years)
New York Times British-Irish Dialect Quiz on 13:45 - Feb 15 with 5430 viewsSteve_M

New York Times British-Irish Dialect Quiz on 13:29 - Feb 15 by PhilTWTD

Indeed, and class and ethnicity will come into it as well.

I'm far more East Anglian on that one!

New York Times British-Irish Dialect Quiz on 14:29 - Feb 15 with 5384 viewsitfcjoe

Very similar - I have Ipswich, Southend and Portsmouth though.

Did go to uni in Southampton so may explain Portsmouth

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

New York Times British-Irish Dialect Quiz on 14:33 - Feb 15 with 5376 viewsEwan_Oozami

Mine was a 'J' shape going from South London up into Essex and Suffolk.

Just one small problem; sell their houses to who, Ben? Fcking Aquaman?
Poll: What else could go on top of the cake apart from icing and a cherry?

New York Times British-Irish Dialect Quiz on 14:45 - Feb 15 with 5361 viewsLeagueOne

Mine was basically spot on aside from having no connection to Reading, my nan, however, was from Croydon.

Not sure which of these works as an image. Cun'Hadta werk et att din'i.

[Phil]I sorted it for you[/Phil]

It's time to make the best of it.
Poll: Would you leave TWTD if political threads were banned?

New York Times British-Irish Dialect Quiz on 14:49 - Feb 15 with 5352 viewsTNBlue

Quite accurate. Had me predominately from the North West but highlighted my time in East Yorkshire as well. Oddly, I seem to have picked up no "Southernisms" despite living here for 20 years!
New York Times British-Irish Dialect Quiz on 15:12 - Feb 15 with 5304 viewsGuthrum

Accurately pinpointed me as coming from the planet Blargh. Either that, or the map wasn't working properly.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

New York Times British-Irish Dialect Quiz on 15:17 - Feb 15 with 5285 viewsLesta_Tractor

Glad to say the Lesta accent has rubbed off on me, Camb/Pboro...

1:23:47, 38:26
Poll: What is more important to you?

New York Times British-Irish Dialect Quiz on 15:27 - Feb 15 with 5264 viewsartsbossbeard

#metoo

Please note: prior to hitting the post button, I've double checked for anything that could be construed as "Anti Semitic" and to the best of my knowledge it isn't. Anything deemed to be of a Xenophobic nature is therefore purely accidental or down to your own misconstruing.
Poll: Raining in IP8 - shall I get the washing in?

New York Times British-Irish Dialect Quiz on 15:27 - Feb 15 with 5260 viewsHerbivore

Mine won't show my map annoyingly.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

New York Times British-Irish Dialect Quiz on 15:40 - Feb 15 with 5219 viewsbluewein

Born in Yeovil, so Taunton is pretty close..

Poll: What should you have your gammon with...?

New York Times British-Irish Dialect Quiz on 15:42 - Feb 15 with 5216 viewsunstableblue

I was much more Portsmouth and Reading than East Anglia..... which is a shame.

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

New York Times British-Irish Dialect Quiz on 16:11 - Feb 15 with 5181 viewsPendejo

London with hint of Wales? Feck knows where the Welsh bit comes from

uberima fides
Poll: Start a new job tomorrow - which suit?

New York Times British-Irish Dialect Quiz on 16:16 - Feb 15 with 5171 viewsSwansea_Blue

New York Times British-Irish Dialect Quiz on 13:17 - Feb 15 by PhilTWTD

I went the other way. Started of with Portsmouth and ended up split between Cambride & Brighton. Pretty tightly focussed on the SE which was a surprise as I’ve been on the West coast for over 20 yrs.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

New York Times British-Irish Dialect Quiz on 16:22 - Feb 15 with 5160 viewsDebsyAngel

Cambridge/Southend! Interesting quiz that.
New York Times British-Irish Dialect Quiz on 16:25 - Feb 15 with 5151 viewsLeagueOne

New York Times British-Irish Dialect Quiz on 14:45 - Feb 15 by LeagueOne

Mine was basically spot on aside from having no connection to Reading, my nan, however, was from Croydon.

Not sure which of these works as an image. Cun'Hadta werk et att din'i.

[Phil]I sorted it for you[/Phil]

Many thanks, I am actually amazed it has got mine spot on. My Mrs is a Scot and often makes fun of my "Flemish" talk, especially when with my mates who all grew up with me in the same area, apparently, once we get going it can be indecipherable!

It's time to make the best of it.
Poll: Would you leave TWTD if political threads were banned?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024