Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
New York Times British-Irish Dialect Quiz 12:58 - Feb 15 with 8678 viewsPhilTWTD

Anyone else done this? Quite accurate for me, apart from the Portsmouth bit, although I was talking to Ray Crawford on Life's a Pitch last week so some of his dialect may have rubbed off.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2019/02/15/upshot/british-irish-dialect-quiz

This post has been edited by an administrator
New York Times British-Irish Dialect Quiz on 19:49 - Feb 15 with 3031 viewsCheshire_Tractor

Mine had me from Cheshire.

Can't argue with that.
New York Times British-Irish Dialect Quiz on 19:58 - Feb 15 with 3018 viewsSuperblue95

Apparently I don’t say anything English as my map only highlighted bits of Ireland (although not the part of Ireland I live or the part of Ireland I work)

My hobbies include being quiet during trips, clapping with songs, and diabetes.
Poll: Englands player of the tournament

New York Times British-Irish Dialect Quiz on 20:30 - Feb 15 with 2993 viewsnorth_stand77

Mine was just about all Suffolk, concentrating around North of Ipswich.
Which is spot on as I'm a Suffolk gal born and bred!
[Post edited 15 Feb 2019 21:39]
New York Times British-Irish Dialect Quiz on 21:32 - Feb 15 with 2970 viewsClapham_Junction

I came out as Cambridge, as did both of my sisters.

Grew up near Sudbury but all three of us lived/worked/studied in the city in our early 20s.

My parents are both from outside East Anglia so I guess we may have picked up less local dialect from them as kids.
New York Times British-Irish Dialect Quiz on 22:08 - Feb 15 with 2938 viewsWD19

I got Southend.

Right county, wrong chavhole.
New York Times British-Irish Dialect Quiz on 23:19 - Feb 15 with 2916 viewsStochesStotasBlewe

Ipswich.
The longer quiz Ipswich & Bournemouth .

Surprised as i spent a fair few years in Diss, Long Stratton (Royston Vasey) & Warwickshire and have only resided in Ipswich for the last 9 years.

We have no village green, or a shop. It's very, very quiet. I can walk to the pub.

New York Times British-Irish Dialect Quiz on 23:36 - Feb 15 with 2897 viewsfloridablue

My results..Ipswich, London and Brighton were the highlighted areas. Me....Surrey born but Ipswich raised. My vague memory from the school playground of the game touch (or maybe tag) which seems to add me to Wales unless i've misunderstood
New York Times British-Irish Dialect Quiz on 00:00 - Feb 16 with 2875 viewsjeera

Down the Eastern side for me:

Cambridge
Southend [!!?]
Dover

Longer version: East again

Cambridge
The 'N' word!

*Not sure I understood the, "how do you pronounce the 2 vowels in 'city'",question.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Login to get fewer ads

New York Times British-Irish Dialect Quiz on 00:03 - Feb 16 with 2870 viewsjeera

I think we all know how we're pronouncing 'scone' and need no telling on that one.

New York Times British-Irish Dialect Quiz on 00:13 - Feb 16 with 2863 viewsMelford

I got Ipswich, Southend, I worked for 3 years in Colchester that probably gave me the Essex bit and Penzance. I worked my 3 uni summers in St Ives down in Cornwall so maybe that accounts for that.

Edit: Looking at it further it's pretty much spot on. It's 60 miles between Southend and Ipswich south to north and Melford is about halfway on The Essex/Suffolk border.
[Post edited 16 Feb 2019 0:25]

Dragging TWTD into the gutter since 2009
Poll: What do you call this site?

New York Times British-Irish Dialect Quiz on 09:10 - Feb 16 with 2783 viewstractorboy7777

Mine started very similar to a lot on here

But then moved further towards London where by grandparents came from. Not sure why Bournemouth though!

[Post edited 16 Feb 2019 9:26]

Poll: If ticket prices were the same in SBR upper and lower, where would you choose?

New York Times British-Irish Dialect Quiz on 10:17 - Feb 16 with 2747 viewsWeWereZombies

Short quiz - Plymouth, Bournemouth, Reading

Long Quiz - Bournemouth, Dover

I have never lived in any of those places and there is nothing in the family tree (goes back hundreds of years on both sides) either. I did the AncestryDNA thing a year or so ago too - mainly East Anglia, East Midlands, West Midlands (which is a reasonable match to the family tree).

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

New York Times British-Irish Dialect Quiz on 10:56 - Feb 16 with 2738 viewsCoastalblue

Like one or two others I got predominantly Sarfend and Cambridge which is pretty accurate really.

I think age would have an impact a fair bit too.

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.
Poll: If someone promised you promotion next season, would you think

New York Times British-Irish Dialect Quiz on 10:59 - Feb 16 with 2734 viewsjeera

New York Times British-Irish Dialect Quiz on 10:56 - Feb 16 by Coastalblue

Like one or two others I got predominantly Sarfend and Cambridge which is pretty accurate really.

I think age would have an impact a fair bit too.

You had to have at least one by the coast by default!

New York Times British-Irish Dialect Quiz on 12:20 - Feb 16 with 2697 viewsWD19

New York Times British-Irish Dialect Quiz on 16:11 - Feb 15 by Pendejo

London with hint of Wales? Feck knows where the Welsh bit comes from

Looking at this thread it is quite a rare bit, however it got there.
New York Times British-Irish Dialect Quiz on 13:13 - Feb 16 with 2670 viewsOldsmoker

I moved away from Ipswich at 19 yet it placed me clearly in Ipswich.
My mates still rib me for saying booterful and I seem to swap Hugh and Who without knowing it.

Don't believe a word I say. I'm only kidding. Or am I?
Poll: What mode is best?

New York Times British-Irish Dialect Quiz on 14:35 - Feb 16 with 2641 viewsjeera

New York Times British-Irish Dialect Quiz on 12:20 - Feb 16 by WD19

Looking at this thread it is quite a rare bit, however it got there.

It is easily done.

New York Times British-Irish Dialect Quiz on 14:37 - Feb 16 with 2638 viewsAce_High1

New York Times British-Irish Dialect Quiz on 14:35 - Feb 16 by jeera

It is easily done.

Cambridge for me.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024