Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Daryl Murphy next season? 13:06 - Feb 15 with 3536 viewsWarkTheWarkITFC

I believe he's out of contract at the end of the season.

Easily good enough for League One, would be a great mentor and foil for Jackson and Harrison and would be the sort of leader we would need.

Also loves the club (it would be his fifth spell?) and given that he's not going to be a regular for a Championship side you'd imagine we could do something on wages?

Just a wild fantasy I allowed myself on Valentines Day.

Poll: How many points from 18 would Lambert need to have to actually be sacked?
Blog: Ipswich Town and the Rotten Kitchen Cupboards

Daryl Murphy next season? on 13:12 - Feb 15 with 3502 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

I'd rather we move on.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Daryl Murphy next season? on 13:22 - Feb 15 with 3468 viewsFrimleyBlue

Nah

Keep Keane, Quaner, Harrison, Jackson, Sears

IMO, strong enough for div 1

Question mark from people regarding Quaner wages. But I think we will keep Keane as he seems the type who plays for the manager not the money imo

Waka waka eh eh
Poll: We've had Kuqi v Pablo.. so Broadhead or Celina?
Blog: Marcus Evans Needs Our Support Not to Be Hounded Out

Daryl Murphy next season? on 13:25 - Feb 15 with 3441 viewsSuperfrans

He's going to be 36 in about 4 weeks time.

Poll: What is your voting intention on December 12?
Blog: Dear Martin Samuel...

Daryl Murphy next season? on 13:26 - Feb 15 with 3440 viewsBluebell

No.

Don’t his wife and children now live in Ireland? I would guess he will retire from playing if out of contract and go and live with them.
Daryl Murphy next season? on 13:29 - Feb 15 with 3414 viewshomer_123

Daryl Murphy next season? on 13:22 - Feb 15 by FrimleyBlue

Nah

Question mark from people regarding Quaner wages. But I think we will keep Keane as he seems the type who plays for the manager not the money imo

Keane and Quaner - neither will stay. We are paying both circa £20k towards their wages, a week. We won't be paying that on League 1 next season.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Daryl Murphy next season? on 13:33 - Feb 15 with 3389 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Daryl Murphy next season? on 13:29 - Feb 15 by homer_123

Keane and Quaner - neither will stay. We are paying both circa £20k towards their wages, a week. We won't be paying that on League 1 next season.

Keane might.

On June 1 his wage is Zero.

So it depends who is in for him.

I would think his weekly wage next season would be closer to zero than 20k

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Daryl Murphy next season? on 13:35 - Feb 15 with 3378 viewstextbackup

Daryl Murphy next season? on 13:33 - Feb 15 by Marshalls_Mullet

Keane might.

On June 1 his wage is Zero.

So it depends who is in for him.

I would think his weekly wage next season would be closer to zero than 20k

keane, judge etc would be incredible L1 players. I really hope if we drop that they stay here

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

Daryl Murphy next season? on 13:35 - Feb 15 with 3376 viewsKieran_Knows

I really hope not.

I'd take Keane permanently from Hull though.

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

Login to get fewer ads

Daryl Murphy next season? on 14:01 - Feb 15 with 3313 viewsBrixtonBlue

Daryl Murphy next season? on 13:29 - Feb 15 by homer_123

"We are paying both circa £20k."

I always wonder how people on here know players wages.

I bet Bloots will downarrow this.
Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

Daryl Murphy next season? on 14:21 - Feb 15 with 3274 viewsCOYBitfc

Daryl Murphy next season? on 14:01 - Feb 15 by BrixtonBlue

Football Manager...

Poll: Current/prospective ST holders, what scenario will you purchase for next season?

Daryl Murphy next season? on 14:30 - Feb 15 with 3259 viewsiamipswich

In fairness, I think it has been widely acknowledged by the EADT and so on that we are paying roughly £20k of the wages for both Keane and Quaner.

Keane is said to be on £35k/week at the moment. However when his contract runs out this summer I think he will have to settle for £15k max (poor him). There will not be too much Championship demand for a 26 year-old Striker with 8 career goals to his name and 2 long-term injuries to boot.

He also said in an interview that he is really enjoying being at Ipswich and would consider dropping into League 1 if we wanted him and everything else worked out.

Poll: Who will return first?

Chopra? (n/t) on 14:31 - Feb 15 with 3254 viewsBloots

TWTD Leadership Group/Elite Level Supporter/Anti-Bullying Crusader

Daryl Murphy next season? on 15:19 - Feb 15 with 3184 viewsLeagueOne

Daryl Murphy next season? on 13:22 - Feb 15 by FrimleyBlue

Nah

You'd keep four strikers who have what 2 goals between them and Sears over a guy in Daryl Murphy who'd be a yard and half over the rest of the division in League One, despite his age, just because? He's the same age as Collins and less injury prone, and most of you would keep Collins here.

Daryl Murphy aside, if you can recruit someone who can benefit your team in some way, you do so. Teddy Sheringham at West Ham is a prime example of this, well into his 30's and he got them promoted (at our expense). Murphy might not be "young and exciting" but on his day he was a better player than any you would rather retain. He still scored 5 goals this season, that's just 1 less than Sears, who is also going to be in his 30's next season.

It's also League One, the 3rd division, division 1 is the Premiership ;)

It's time to make the best of it.
Poll: Would you leave TWTD if political threads were banned?

Daryl Murphy next season? on 15:51 - Feb 15 with 3129 viewsCheltenham_Blue

What is it about fans of this club that makes them consistently want to sign old players?
Move on.

Poll: Smooth Mash or Mash with Lumps?

Daryl Murphy next season? on 15:56 - Feb 15 with 3119 viewsCoastalblue

Daryl Murphy next season? on 15:19 - Feb 15 by LeagueOne

You'd keep four strikers who have what 2 goals between them and Sears over a guy in Daryl Murphy who'd be a yard and half over the rest of the division in League One, despite his age, just because? He's the same age as Collins and less injury prone, and most of you would keep Collins here.

Daryl Murphy aside, if you can recruit someone who can benefit your team in some way, you do so. Teddy Sheringham at West Ham is a prime example of this, well into his 30's and he got them promoted (at our expense). Murphy might not be "young and exciting" but on his day he was a better player than any you would rather retain. He still scored 5 goals this season, that's just 1 less than Sears, who is also going to be in his 30's next season.

It's also League One, the 3rd division, division 1 is the Premiership ;)

I see what you're saying there, but we've tried to replicate the Sheringham thing on a number of occasions ourselves in the past and it hasn't always been that great.

Personally if we go down I'd rather bring in players that we can build with and potentially get a few seasons out of.

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.
Poll: If someone promised you promotion next season, would you think

Daryl Murphy next season? on 16:05 - Feb 15 with 3094 viewsJammyDodgerrr

Pretty sure Phil confirmed it was around that figure if not higher.

Poll: How many Loanees would you like in the team next season?
Blog: [Blog] What Happened to Our Star Number Nine?

Daryl Murphy next season? on 16:35 - Feb 15 with 3030 viewsLeagueOne

Daryl Murphy next season? on 15:56 - Feb 15 by Coastalblue

I see what you're saying there, but we've tried to replicate the Sheringham thing on a number of occasions ourselves in the past and it hasn't always been that great.

Personally if we go down I'd rather bring in players that we can build with and potentially get a few seasons out of.

Maybe not, it's always a gamble but there are many times it has worked for us.

Richard Wright's first season back, John Wark, Tommy Miller, Pablo all had decent comebacks. In terms of buying older players who had better days elsewhere, for every John Scales and Lee Chapman we've also had we have also had the likes of Steve Whitton, Paul Goddard, Tony Mowbray, Jason Cundy, Mark Venus, Jason Devos, Sylvain Legwinksi, and so on. It's about balance, you can't go full Jewell and have a ton of these players, but if a Chirs Bart Williams or Matt Elliot comes along when you need them, you take them. Imagine the difference McAuley could have made if we had offered him more money than Rangers, or if Walters was fit? We'd still be in the relegation mix, granted, but we'd be in with a better chance with staying in the fight than we are without them.

If you forget Murphy ever played for us, with his record in the Championship, an ex-international, even at 35 why wouldn't you have a player like that, even as a gamble, in your third division squad? Having seen the gulf between the third and second tiers just from the players we have signed this season, you wouldn't turn that down if the deal was right at that level.

It's time to make the best of it.
Poll: Would you leave TWTD if political threads were banned?

Daryl Murphy next season? on 16:50 - Feb 15 with 3000 viewsWickets

Daryl Murphy next season? on 13:35 - Feb 15 by textbackup

keane, judge etc would be incredible L1 players. I really hope if we drop that they stay here

Me too very much so but are we kidding ourselves ?
Daryl Murphy next season? on 17:55 - Feb 15 with 2905 viewstextbackup

Daryl Murphy next season? on 16:50 - Feb 15 by Wickets

Me too very much so but are we kidding ourselves ?

SEE I thought the same, then it hit me, we are Ipswich town... the once proud club, these players will still see us as a something club, why can’t we have a few stand out players even if in L1. ME seems to pay a decent wage, and he’s with PL, can see them both staying

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

Daryl Murphy next season? on 18:26 - Feb 15 with 2842 viewsjas0999

It’s time to look forwards. Not back.
Daryl Murphy next season? on 19:58 - Feb 15 with 2718 viewssausagedog

That’s the wrong fantasy for Valentine’s Day
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024