Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
These climate strikes today 13:39 - Feb 15 with 18772 viewsSwansea_Blue

Brilliant to see the passion from a bunch of kids who, quite frankly, are putting many adults and certainly most politicians to shame.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-47250424

PM's response apparently 'get back to school you little horrors, you're being a nuisance' . Bitch.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

These climate strikes today on 04:22 - Feb 16 with 4488 viewsBenters2

These climate strikes today on 04:09 - Feb 16 by SpruceMoose

Would you like Heinz or HP sir?

Pardon Sir?
These climate strikes today on 06:44 - Feb 16 with 4461 viewsm14_blue

These climate strikes today on 22:57 - Feb 15 by Jonnosdreadlocks

they used to call it global warming. Now its rebranded as 'climate change' I mean did you see Chicago last month?

Sometimes this forum makes me despair about humanity.

Thank god future generations seem to have a bit more about them, although it may well be too late to make amends for the lack of responsibility and downright ignorance of ours.
These climate strikes today on 06:55 - Feb 16 with 4464 viewsBenters2

These climate strikes today on 06:44 - Feb 16 by m14_blue

Sometimes this forum makes me despair about humanity.

Thank god future generations seem to have a bit more about them, although it may well be too late to make amends for the lack of responsibility and downright ignorance of ours.

Haha!

Smash the system!

Oh Jeremy Corbyn etc!
These climate strikes today on 06:57 - Feb 16 with 4456 viewsm14_blue

These climate strikes today on 06:55 - Feb 16 by Benters2

Haha!

Smash the system!

Oh Jeremy Corbyn etc!

If you’d bothered to actually read anything I’ve ever posted, rather than just what’s in your head, you’d know that I think Corbyn is a complete melt.

The world isn’t just divided in two benters.
These climate strikes today on 07:26 - Feb 16 with 4447 viewsBenters2

These climate strikes today on 06:57 - Feb 16 by m14_blue

If you’d bothered to actually read anything I’ve ever posted, rather than just what’s in your head, you’d know that I think Corbyn is a complete melt.

The world isn’t just divided in two benters.

I make you right!

Rule Britannia!
These climate strikes today on 07:45 - Feb 16 with 4426 viewsm14_blue

These climate strikes today on 07:26 - Feb 16 by Benters2

I make you right!

Rule Britannia!

First time for everything!

COYB
These climate strikes today on 11:23 - Feb 16 with 4372 viewsBenters2

These climate strikes today on 16:14 - Feb 15 by Ryorry

Perhaps he's had a buttful of Brexit!

Bless.
These climate strikes today on 11:26 - Feb 16 with 4375 viewsSwansea_Blue

they used to call it global warming. Now its rebranded as 'climate change' I mean did you see Chicago last month?

Congratulations for proving deniers ars are as thick as feck

[Post edited 16 Feb 2019 11:36]

Login to get fewer ads

These climate strikes today on 11:28 - Feb 16 with 4367 viewsBenters2

These climate strikes today on 11:26 - Feb 16 by Swansea_Blue

Balls.
These climate strikes today on 11:49 - Feb 16 with 4351 viewsquirkie

It's the new religion, if you show even the slightest bit of doubt about global warming/climate change you are castigated as a heretic. I can only imagine the fate of religious doubters in the 13th century, at least we've moved on a little bit since then, well some of us who don't have spoon fed entrenched views.
[Post edited 16 Feb 2019 12:39]

Poll: How long will we be in League One/League Two from next season?

These climate strikes today on 11:56 - Feb 16 with 4341 viewsLord_Lucan

These climate strikes today on 11:28 - Feb 16 by Benters2

Balls.

End of

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

These climate strikes today on 12:05 - Feb 16 with 4327 viewssparks

These climate strikes today on 06:55 - Feb 16 by Benters2

Haha!

Smash the system!

Oh Jeremy Corbyn etc!

This is just barking.

There is nothing Corybinish about rejecting ignorance, and despairing at stupidity.

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)
Poll: Is Fred drunk this morning?

These climate strikes today on 12:05 - Feb 16 with 4319 viewsfooters

These climate strikes today on 11:49 - Feb 16 by quirkie

It's the new religion, if you show even the slightest bit of doubt about global warming/climate change you are castigated as a heretic. I can only imagine the fate of religious doubters in the 13th century, at least we've moved on a little bit since then, well some of us who don't have spoon fed entrenched views.

Please post us all of your expert research on climate change that counters the vast, vast majority of scientists' views. You are of course entitled to your own opinions, sadly you are not entitled to your own facts.

footers QC - Prosecution Barrister, Hasketon Law Chambers
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

These climate strikes today on 12:07 - Feb 16 with 4324 viewssparks

Here's the thing- you have that the wrong way round. Because religion had, and has no foundation in demonstrable fact.

If you are going to mock and deny an overwhelming scientific body of evidence and consensus, you need to offer a basis for it.

The only thing most climate change deniers offer is this sort of nonsense about being closed minded...

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)

These climate strikes today on 12:12 - Feb 16 with 4317 viewsSwansea_Blue

Quite the opposite. It’s the denier side that’s the cult - people winding themselves up into an entrenched position on the basis of some ill informed youtube videos funded by the fossil fuel lobby. All underpinned by a conviction that it’s a global conspiracy (ignoring the fact it took scientists year and years to get their messages across to governments). It’s a faith that, like religion, flies in the face of evidence and expert analysis.

The denier cult is not free thinking in the face of being “spoon fed entranced [sic] views”. It can be either a lack of thinking at all, or over-thinking without the appropriate knowledge, skills and experience.

These climate strikes today on 12:17 - Feb 16 with 4310 viewssparks

These climate strikes today on 12:12 - Feb 16 by Swansea_Blue

Quite the opposite. It’s the denier side that’s the cult - people winding themselves up into an entrenched position on the basis of some ill informed youtube videos funded by the fossil fuel lobby. All underpinned by a conviction that it’s a global conspiracy (ignoring the fact it took scientists year and years to get their messages across to governments). It’s a faith that, like religion, flies in the face of evidence and expert analysis.

The denier cult is not free thinking in the face of being “spoon fed entranced [sic] views”. It can be either a lack of thinking at all, or over-thinking without the appropriate knowledge, skills and experience.

Spot on. The most sheeplike people around today, are the ones that brainlessly buy into conspiracy theories and just instinctively rebel against facts and evidence, in the cause of being "open minded" and alternative.

These climate strikes today on 12:27 - Feb 16 with 4291 viewsfooters

Facts don't care about your feelings, bloody snowflakes.

Or just raindrops now thanks to global warming.

P.S. I really can't believe we're having this conversation.
[Post edited 16 Feb 2019 12:27]

These climate strikes today on 12:50 - Feb 16 with 4281 viewsChampionship

Did you see the summer we had last year? You're talking about weather. Go and look at some long term charts to see the direction climate is going in.

For a good example of how important length of time is, go to xe.com and look at a one day chart for GBP/USD. Then look at a 5 year chart for a much clearer picture. You cannot base long term forecasts on last month. A month which is called 'January' and is part of the season we call 'winter'.

For the love of god.
These climate strikes today on 12:57 - Feb 16 with 4266 viewsRyorry

"spoon fed entranced [sic] views" (before it was edited) - mmm, maybe global warming is helping the growth of magic mushrooms?!

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

These climate strikes today on 13:12 - Feb 16 with 4235 viewsfooters

FAO Ryorry and others.

This is the first part of a chapter called 'Nature' in Steven Poole's excellent book Unspeak, which is about the redefining of terminology for political means. Can't be fagged to type the whole thing out but should give a flavour of why it's important to call it global warming rather than climate change and why US lobbyists and governments worked hard for that change to take place.

"Sometimes there are smoking guns. In the arena of science, there is plain evidence of political groups and corporate interests mulling over the right Unspeak strategies. US pollster Frank Luntz, for example, has produced a range of documents advising Republicans on the kind of persuasive political language they should use. One such memo, leaked in 2003, treats the language of environmental policy. A section named ‘Winning the Global Warming Debate’ reads:
“The terminology in the upcoming environmental debate needs refinement […] It’s time for us to stop talking about global warming and start talking about climate change.
1. ‘Climate change’ is less frightening than ‘global warming’. As one focus group participant noted, climate change sounds like you’re going from Fort Lauderdale to Pittsburgh. While global warming has catastrophic connotations attached to it, climate change suggest a more controllable and less emotional challenge.”
This is an example of what Luntz, elsewhere in the document, called ‘redefining labels’. According to this view, ‘global warming’ sounds sinister and menacing: it may conjure a picture of a red-hot planet Earth, swathed in hellfire. ‘Climate change’, by contrast, is what happens when you go on holiday, or switch on the air-conditioner at home, or the ‘climate control’ in your car. Notice also that ‘climate change’ modestly takes no position on the direction or quality of any possible change."

Going out in a sec but I may skim read and post some more relevant information from the chapter tomorrow if there is any further interest.
[Post edited 16 Feb 2019 13:17]

These climate strikes today on 13:16 - Feb 16 with 4232 viewsRyorry

These climate strikes today on 13:12 - Feb 16 by footers

FAO Ryorry and others.

This is the first part of a chapter called 'Nature' in Steven Poole's excellent book Unspeak, which is about the redefining of terminology for political means. Can't be fagged to type the whole thing out but should give a flavour of why it's important to call it global warming rather than climate change and why US lobbyists and governments worked hard for that change to take place.

"Sometimes there are smoking guns. In the arena of science, there is plain evidence of political groups and corporate interests mulling over the right Unspeak strategies. US pollster Frank Luntz, for example, has produced a range of documents advising Republicans on the kind of persuasive political language they should use. One such memo, leaked in 2003, treats the language of environmental policy. A section named ‘Winning the Global Warming Debate’ reads:
“The terminology in the upcoming environmental debate needs refinement […] It’s time for us to stop talking about global warming and start talking about climate change.
1. ‘Climate change’ is less frightening than ‘global warming’. As one focus group participant noted, climate change sounds like you’re going from Fort Lauderdale to Pittsburgh. While global warming has catastrophic connotations attached to it, climate change suggest a more controllable and less emotional challenge.”
This is an example of what Luntz, elsewhere in the document, called ‘redefining labels’. According to this view, ‘global warming’ sounds sinister and menacing: it may conjure a picture of a red-hot planet Earth, swathed in hellfire. ‘Climate change’, by contrast, is what happens when you go on holiday, or switch on the air-conditioner at home, or the ‘climate control’ in your car. Notice also that ‘climate change’ modestly takes no position on the direction or quality of any possible change."

Going out in a sec but I may skim read and post some more relevant information from the chapter tomorrow if there is any further interest.
[Post edited 16 Feb 2019 13:17]

Interesting stuff, George Orwell "new-speak" is alive and well!

Yep, pls do post further when you have time/inclination
[Post edited 16 Feb 2019 13:18]

These climate strikes today on 18:25 - Feb 16 with 4173 viewsJonnosdreadlocks

These climate strikes today on 11:26 - Feb 16 by Swansea_Blue

and you for proving you are an academic elitist know all

Poll: An English Anthem. Wales and Scotland use their own what should England use?

These climate strikes today on 18:33 - Feb 16 with 4159 viewsChampionship

These climate strikes today on 18:25 - Feb 16 by Jonnosdreadlocks

Academic elitist know all...

Love it. Love the idea that anyone with an education is an elitist know all. This is how opinions get given equal weight to facts by some sections of society. This is why some people are so happy to just filter out everything that doesn't fit the way they want to see something.

Please, go and look at the actual evidence for global warming. Look at the rapidly melting polar ice caps. Look at long term temperature charts. Look at increasing droughts all over the world. The evidence is there if you are prepared to look.
These climate strikes today on 18:43 - Feb 16 with 4146 viewsRyorry

These climate strikes today on 18:25 - Feb 16 by Jonnosdreadlocks

Seems to me that "know-all" is quite a desirable state of being - wish I were one, it'd be wonderful, my brain would be a mobile encyclopaedia and I'd never have to use google again, yay!

These climate strikes today on 18:45 - Feb 16 with 4143 viewsJonnosdreadlocks

These climate strikes today on 18:33 - Feb 16 by Championship

Academic elitist know all...

Love it. Love the idea that anyone with an education is an elitist know all. This is how opinions get given equal weight to facts by some sections of society. This is why some people are so happy to just filter out everything that doesn't fit the way they want to see something.

Please, go and look at the actual evidence for global warming. Look at the rapidly melting polar ice caps. Look at long term temperature charts. Look at increasing droughts all over the world. The evidence is there if you are prepared to look.

Burn the Heretics! How dare some of us have a differing view!!... I have an honors degree and a teaching qualification by the way so not everyone 'with an education is an elitist know all'. Just those who want to enforce their personal views and politics on others and refuse to accept others have differing opinions without being slurred as 'thick as feck', racist, xenophobic brexiteers' .

Poll: An English Anthem. Wales and Scotland use their own what should England use?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024