Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Diane Abbot on Churchill 12:11 - Feb 17 with 7312 viewsPinewoodblue

When asked for her opinion of Churchill replied " He saved me £50 on my car insurance"

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Diane Abbot on Churchill on 12:50 - Feb 17 with 4792 viewsfloridaboy

Sounds about right. Probably never heard of Winston Churchill!
Diane Abbot on Churchill on 13:26 - Feb 17 with 4702 viewsSpruceMoose

Diane Abbot on Churchill on 12:50 - Feb 17 by floridaboy

*Insert tumbleweed gif here.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

Diane Abbot on Churchill on 13:29 - Feb 17 with 4700 viewseireblue

That would probably have been funnier, if

A. Was made a few days ago.
B. Didn’t say 50 pounds, but referenced earlier gaffs and exaggerated the amount.
C. She didn’t have a history degree.

But keep it up, although you do have a ways to go to reach hoppy levels of speed and humor.
Diane Abbot on Churchill on 15:52 - Feb 17 with 4491 viewsfactual_blue

Diane Abbot on Churchill on 12:50 - Feb 17 by floridaboy

..or how he ruined the British economy in the 1920s, or let over 3 million Bengalis starve in the 1940s etc etc....

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Diane Abbot on Churchill on 16:02 - Feb 17 with 4458 viewsmos

Diane Abbot on Churchill on 13:29 - Feb 17 by eireblue

That would probably have been funnier, if

A. Was made a few days ago.
B. Didn’t say 50 pounds, but referenced earlier gaffs and exaggerated the amount.
C. She didn’t have a history degree.

But keep it up, although you do have a ways to go to reach hoppy levels of speed and humor.

The banter police are out today!

“Our slick new attacking side is being outpassed and outmaneuvered by Ipswich” - West Ham Forum
Poll: How do you think we will finish next season?

Diane Abbot on Churchill on 18:21 - Feb 17 with 4254 viewsSpruceMoose

Diane Abbot on Churchill on 16:02 - Feb 17 by mos

The banter police are out today!

Crimes against banter would be the only offense I'd be happy to see the death penalty brought back for.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."

Diane Abbot on Churchill on 18:40 - Feb 17 with 4201 viewsTrequartista

Diane Abbot on Churchill on 15:52 - Feb 17 by factual_blue

..or how he ruined the British economy in the 1920s, or let over 3 million Bengalis starve in the 1940s etc etc....

... Or how he voted to restore trade union legal rights or how he advocated a minimum wage. No major world leader over a sustained period of time is going to have a perfect record. I think his positives outweigh the negatives somehow.

Poll: Who do you blame for our failure to progress?

Diane Abbot on Churchill on 18:43 - Feb 17 with 4192 viewsSpruceMoose

Diane Abbot on Churchill on 18:40 - Feb 17 by Trequartista

... Or how he voted to restore trade union legal rights or how he advocated a minimum wage. No major world leader over a sustained period of time is going to have a perfect record. I think his positives outweigh the negatives somehow.

It's almost as if most subjects, barring outliers, deserve a little nuance.

Now if only this could be applied to the great Keane or Jewell debate. So many lives lost in that war.

Login to get fewer ads

Diane Abbot on Churchill on 19:33 - Feb 17 with 4096 viewsLord_Lucan

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Diane Abbot on Churchill on 19:35 - Feb 17 with 4093 viewsfactual_blue

Diane Abbot on Churchill on 18:40 - Feb 17 by Trequartista

Which is the point I was trying to make.

The debate should be about the relative significance of various actions. In the case of Churchill, let's not forget that for much of his career he was sidelined and seen as a bloodthirsty troublemaker with poor judgement: that was certainly the view of him by his contemporaries between Gallipoli in 1915 and the fall of Chamberlain in 1940.

Diane Abbot on Churchill on 19:38 - Feb 17 with 4081 viewsSpruceMoose

Diane Abbot on Churchill on 19:35 - Feb 17 by factual_blue

Which is the point I was trying to make.

The debate should be about the relative significance of various actions. In the case of Churchill, let's not forget that for much of his career he was sidelined and seen as a bloodthirsty troublemaker with poor judgement: that was certainly the view of him by his contemporaries between Gallipoli in 1915 and the fall of Chamberlain in 1940.

Sounds a lot like Paul Hurst. Maybe we got rid too soon...

Diane Abbot on Churchill on 19:44 - Feb 17 with 4063 viewsfactual_blue

Diane Abbot on Churchill on 19:38 - Feb 17 by SpruceMoose

Sounds a lot like Paul Hurst. Maybe we got rid too soon...

It seems Martin Gilbert posts on here. Except of course he's been dead for three years.

Diane Abbot on Churchill on 19:51 - Feb 17 with 4049 viewsfactual_blue

Diane Abbot on Churchill on 19:33 - Feb 17 by Lord_Lucan

Is that the hand from the Addams Family on the left of the screen?

Diane Abbot on Churchill on 20:19 - Feb 17 with 3995 viewsjimmyvet

what a load of bollox but meets your left wing agenda....please elaborate?
Diane Abbot on Churchill on 20:47 - Feb 17 with 3937 viewsfactual_blue

Diane Abbot on Churchill on 20:19 - Feb 17 by jimmyvet

what a load of bollox but meets your left wing agenda....please elaborate?

Churchill returned the UK to the Gold Standard in 1925, precipitating the economic disasters that followed in the UK, and doing untold long-term damage to the economy,

Famine in India was not uncommon, but the policies of Empire rarely helped.

In 1943 Bengal the problems were made even worse by British policies of 'scorched earth' ahead of an anticipated Japanese invasion. Up to 3 million people starved to death while British officials begged Churchill to direct food supplies to the region. He bluntly refused. He raged that it was their own fault for “breeding like rabbits”. At other times, he said the plague was “merrily” culling the population. He had said before the war that Gandhi should be lain bound hand and foot at the gates of Delhi, and then trampled on by an enormous elephant with the new Viceroy seated on its back.

And no, these weren't the common views of the time. Churchill was seen as at the most brutal and brutish end of the British imperialist spectrum. Prime Minister Stanley Baldwin was warned by Cabinet colleagues not to appoint him because his views were so antedeluvian. Even his startled doctor, Lord Moran, said of other races: “Winston thinks only of the colour of their skin.”

Please provide evidence in your rebuttal.

Diane Abbot on Churchill on 20:57 - Feb 17 with 3916 viewsMelford

Diane Abbot on Churchill on 19:33 - Feb 17 by Lord_Lucan

I am a bit of a WW2 buff. In front of me in my living room I have a bookcase full of nothing but books on WW2, from floor to ceiling. Well over 120 at last count, including 9 on Churchill by the likes of Roy Jenkins, Max Hastings, Boris Johnson and Violet Bonham-Carter, who knew him from the age of 6. He was no saint by any means, a manic depressive alcoholic prone to fits of temper so just simply disappearing for days not getting out of bed. By all accounts, including those who knew him best said he was hard work to be around.
Politically he had a lot of mistakes, he had work very hard to make a comeback to top-line politics after the Gallipoli affair.
But he is a hero because of his leadership in WW2, I don't think there's been a better example in history of "cometh the hour, cometh the man". If we hadn't have kept fighting in 1940 and rolled over the consequences don't bear thinking about. He kept the country believing and defiant, I don't think much of him as a domestic politician and nor did the public at the time who voted him out for Clement Attlee after the war was over but as a war leader he was immense.

Dragging TWTD into the gutter since 2009
Poll: What do you call this site?

Diane Abbot on Churchill on 20:58 - Feb 17 with 3919 viewsjimmyvet

Diane Abbot on Churchill on 20:47 - Feb 17 by factual_blue

Churchill returned the UK to the Gold Standard in 1925, precipitating the economic disasters that followed in the UK, and doing untold long-term damage to the economy,

Famine in India was not uncommon, but the policies of Empire rarely helped.

In 1943 Bengal the problems were made even worse by British policies of 'scorched earth' ahead of an anticipated Japanese invasion. Up to 3 million people starved to death while British officials begged Churchill to direct food supplies to the region. He bluntly refused. He raged that it was their own fault for “breeding like rabbits”. At other times, he said the plague was “merrily” culling the population. He had said before the war that Gandhi should be lain bound hand and foot at the gates of Delhi, and then trampled on by an enormous elephant with the new Viceroy seated on its back.

And no, these weren't the common views of the time. Churchill was seen as at the most brutal and brutish end of the British imperialist spectrum. Prime Minister Stanley Baldwin was warned by Cabinet colleagues not to appoint him because his views were so antedeluvian. Even his startled doctor, Lord Moran, said of other races: “Winston thinks only of the colour of their skin.”

Please provide evidence in your rebuttal.

My god what utter rubbish you spout ...It doesn't even acknowledge a reasoned response. Go away and do some proper research not biased by your left wing views and cheap lets bash Churchill views, its so sad you and your left are desperate to try and destroy a man, who clearly not perfect, has done more for the free world than probably any other human being during their life time in past 100 years.
Diane Abbot on Churchill on 21:31 - Feb 17 with 3818 viewsBinner

Diane Abbot on Churchill on 20:58 - Feb 17 by jimmyvet

My god what utter rubbish you spout ...It doesn't even acknowledge a reasoned response. Go away and do some proper research not biased by your left wing views and cheap lets bash Churchill views, its so sad you and your left are desperate to try and destroy a man, who clearly not perfect, has done more for the free world than probably any other human being during their life time in past 100 years.

You are using generalised waffle because, presumably, you are unable to respond any other way. If this were a football match between you and Facters he would now be leading you by about 6-0.

Poll: Last game of the season. You need to win. Would you rather be...

Diane Abbot on Churchill on 22:00 - Feb 17 with 3742 viewsfactual_blue

Which bits of Professor Richard Toye's conclusions do you dispute, and with what evidence?

Diane Abbot on Churchill on 22:12 - Feb 17 with 3712 viewsSwansea_Blue

Diane Abbot on Churchill on 22:00 - Feb 17 by factual_blue

Which bits of Professor Richard Toye's conclusions do you dispute, and with what evidence?

What have you got to say about that, eh?

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Diane Abbot on Churchill on 22:23 - Feb 17 with 3676 viewsBueller

Not end of the world is it, we all get hungry. Did what he did, to end up where he did, to do what he did so you can sit on here and spout sh!t about him.
[Post edited 17 Feb 2019 22:24]
Diane Abbot on Churchill on 22:31 - Feb 17 with 3634 viewsSwansea_Blue

Diane Abbot on Churchill on 22:23 - Feb 17 by Bueller

Not end of the world is it, we all get hungry. Did what he did, to end up where he did, to do what he did so you can sit on here and spout sh!t about him.

"We all get hungry"

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Diane Abbot on Churchill on 22:34 - Feb 17 with 3615 viewsfactual_blue

Diane Abbot on Churchill on 22:23 - Feb 17 by Bueller

Which bits are incorrect?

Diane Abbot on Churchill on 22:42 - Feb 17 with 3591 viewsSpruceMoose

I can't help but think you won't give him a reasoned response because it's beyond you. If you're going to vehemently disagree with a man, at least pay the onlookers the courtesy of saying why.

Diane Abbot on Churchill on 22:43 - Feb 17 with 3589 viewsSpruceMoose

Diane Abbot on Churchill on 22:12 - Feb 17 by Swansea_Blue

What have you got to say about that, eh?

How about - We would need to turn to the Germans to engineer such a marvel these days?

Britannia is ballsed.
[Post edited 17 Feb 2019 22:45]

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024