Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
I will get in trouble for this. 17:57 - Feb 17 with 5931 viewsPecker

If I am being completely honest, I am disappointed with our results under PL. I think (and I am happy to be corrected) he has been in charge for 19 games and has a win percentage of about 10%. I know this is the worst squad most of us have seen and he had little or no money to spend in January, but still, I expected better. There was no new manager "bounce" I think they call it, more of a bump. Performances have been slightly better, but that is about all. I would have expected a manager of his experience and knowhow to have got more out of the squad. He has had the time on the training ground to get his method and message across. Perhaps it tells me more about the players and the modern day footballer at that, but I did expect more. I didn't think for one second that he would save us from relegation, our squad was ripped apart in the summer, but I did think that he could have polished a turd a bit more than he has. Like I say, I am just being honest and I think most on here would have expected slightly better also. I await your backlash.
I will get in trouble for this. on 18:02 - Feb 17 with 4084 viewsTrequartista

It is a sad indictment of the board that you have to preface your opinion with "i will get in trouble for this". Seems pretty accurate to me.

Poll: Who do you blame for our failure to progress?

I will get in trouble for this. on 18:05 - Feb 17 with 4059 viewsBLUEBEAT

I agree with you to an extent but maybe you should look at the results since transfer window closed and judge* him on results based around his signings. Still not that good, but better. Then judge him again next season based on a proper Paul Lambert squad, rather than an inherited bag of sh!te.

* no, just no.

Poll: W or W

I will get in trouble for this. on 18:06 - Feb 17 with 4049 viewstextbackup

I don't think you'll get in trouble for it.
i'm basing my opinion on PL since the transfer window, and a few games to bed in the players he got..... so the large spells of the play we had vs ncfc, the quality 90mins vs derby, and fighting spirit to get a 1-1 yesterday.
all of which make me positive towards him.
I get your point about the new manager bounce, but with them players, I don't think anyone would have got it

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

I will get in trouble for this. on 18:08 - Feb 17 with 4034 viewsPecker

I will get in trouble for this. on 18:05 - Feb 17 by BLUEBEAT

I agree with you to an extent but maybe you should look at the results since transfer window closed and judge* him on results based around his signings. Still not that good, but better. Then judge him again next season based on a proper Paul Lambert squad, rather than an inherited bag of sh!te.

* no, just no.

The players bemoaned Hurst's training methods and tactics. If PL is as good as many think, I would have thought he would still have been able to get more out of them. You see it at other clubs when a new manager takes over and I was expecting a little of that here. I am not suggesting for him to be sacked, just expected more.
I will get in trouble for this. on 18:09 - Feb 17 with 4031 viewsLeagueOne

I will get in trouble for this. on 18:02 - Feb 17 by Trequartista

It is a sad indictment of the board that you have to preface your opinion with "i will get in trouble for this". Seems pretty accurate to me.

A lot of people get shouted down for perceivably negative views on here that's why.

That aside I think on balance Lambert has done okay considering he got no serious backing during the transfer window and is working with the worse squad ever assembled in this league.

I don't expect him to be here this time next year though as the support will turn on him when we're not walking the league next season, which will be more Evans than Lambert,but Evans seems to escape a lot of the fan upset.

It's time to make the best of it.
Poll: Would you leave TWTD if political threads were banned?

I will get in trouble for this. on 18:10 - Feb 17 with 4026 viewsPJH

I will get in trouble for this. on 18:06 - Feb 17 by textbackup

I don't think you'll get in trouble for it.
i'm basing my opinion on PL since the transfer window, and a few games to bed in the players he got..... so the large spells of the play we had vs ncfc, the quality 90mins vs derby, and fighting spirit to get a 1-1 yesterday.
all of which make me positive towards him.
I get your point about the new manager bounce, but with them players, I don't think anyone would have got it

I think somebody that was not so committed to playing an expansive version of football may well have accumulated considerably more points with the same players.
That is not in any way a criticism of PL because I love him but his approach does not appear to be the best way of getting out of a Hurst induced mess.
I will get in trouble for this. on 18:12 - Feb 17 with 3992 viewswarkthisway

I will get in trouble for this. on 18:02 - Feb 17 by Trequartista

Yes and interesting the happy clapper mafia on here haven’t commented on this - his record is atrocious - but because he shows a bit of passion ( some misplaced ) on the touch line he is untouchable . He can’t turn a game and has shown belligerent obstinacy -I suggested on here months ago Bart should be captain and Chambers and Knudsen dropped and got slaughtered - we play better without Skuse and Chambers don’t we?

bentnkuqi

I will get in trouble for this. on 18:13 - Feb 17 with 3972 viewsBLUEBEAT

I will get in trouble for this. on 18:08 - Feb 17 by Pecker

The players bemoaned Hurst's training methods and tactics. If PL is as good as many think, I would have thought he would still have been able to get more out of them. You see it at other clubs when a new manager takes over and I was expecting a little of that here. I am not suggesting for him to be sacked, just expected more.

Perhaps you haven’t yet realised how extremely poor these original players are/were.

Poll: W or W

Login to get fewer ads

I will get in trouble for this. on 18:14 - Feb 17 with 3975 viewsGuthrum

It possibly suggests that the squad was worse than some of us thought (I, too, believed Lambert would be able to get more out of what he had available).

Not necessarily in terms of individual quality, but more structural. The significant gaps in the team - especially the lack of confident, experienced, in form strikers. The nervousness of the defence and the wobbling goalkeepers.

Even when reinforcements did arrive, some of them didn't really work (e.g. Elder), some proved fragile (Collins) and even the best have taken a few games to get up to full speed.

Other than that we are relying on returnees from injury (Bishop), youths (Downes, Chalobah) and the odd one or two of Hurst's signings coming good (Nolan).

Plus other key players are falling like flies - Lankester, Skuse, Chambers, Sears. All vital over these few weeks and all unavailable or operating at half power having been rushed back.

The so-called "new manager bounce" is, in reality, just the players released from a tactical framework which wasn't working and remotivated. If player quality is a major part of the initial problem, there's nothing to bounce and there won't be one.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

I will get in trouble for this. on 18:16 - Feb 17 with 3933 viewsPecker

I will get in trouble for this. on 18:13 - Feb 17 by BLUEBEAT

Perhaps you haven’t yet realised how extremely poor these original players are/were.

I did say that he is trying to polish a turd.
I will get in trouble for this. on 18:18 - Feb 17 with 3928 viewstextbackup

I will get in trouble for this. on 18:10 - Feb 17 by PJH

I think somebody that was not so committed to playing an expansive version of football may well have accumulated considerably more points with the same players.
That is not in any way a criticism of PL because I love him but his approach does not appear to be the best way of getting out of a Hurst induced mess.

yeah agree, trying to play too much football, and expecting too much from that lot should have been stopped earlier, but if he has his way of playing I guess he wanted to continue that approach.

all I remember about PL's NCFC team is late goals.... the never say die, attack approach excites me more than it worries me looking to the future.

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

I will get in trouble for this. on 18:20 - Feb 17 with 3914 viewsJakeITFC

I think he was dealt such a shiitty hand that I’d already given him this season as a write off.

As such, the overwhelming positivity around the place is an unexpected upside. Relegation three or four months ago seemed like the absolute end for us - now I’m not so sure. We are playing a better brand of football, the atmosphere is better, there is a genuine case for building a team around youngsters next season and I think that players will want to sign to play under Lambert.

The next few months are about getting some confidence back, and I think we have the perfect man in charge to do that.
I will get in trouble for this. on 18:23 - Feb 17 with 3892 viewsPJH

I will get in trouble for this. on 18:18 - Feb 17 by textbackup

yeah agree, trying to play too much football, and expecting too much from that lot should have been stopped earlier, but if he has his way of playing I guess he wanted to continue that approach.

all I remember about PL's NCFC team is late goals.... the never say die, attack approach excites me more than it worries me looking to the future.

As I said I love him and agree with what you say for the future but for the immediate past and probably the immediate future then a different approach would very likely have had us in a better position than we are now.
It is still just possible that this approach will reel off enough wins out of the last 13 games to save us, we will see.
I will get in trouble for this. on 18:31 - Feb 17 with 3823 viewsHorseboy

I will get in trouble for this. on 18:20 - Feb 17 by JakeITFC

I think he was dealt such a shiitty hand that I’d already given him this season as a write off.

As such, the overwhelming positivity around the place is an unexpected upside. Relegation three or four months ago seemed like the absolute end for us - now I’m not so sure. We are playing a better brand of football, the atmosphere is better, there is a genuine case for building a team around youngsters next season and I think that players will want to sign to play under Lambert.

The next few months are about getting some confidence back, and I think we have the perfect man in charge to do that.

League one is every bit as competitive as the championship.

We haven't seen the end of the Evans austerity period as of yet.

Next 12 months we cannot make any more poor decisions in recruitment, ST prices, match day prices, or any off field feel good factors.

Could go either way, come on you blues.
I will get in trouble for this. on 18:32 - Feb 17 with 3800 viewsGuthrum

I will get in trouble for this. on 18:10 - Feb 17 by PJH

The only thing is, I'm not at all sure there were the players available to utilise any other style more successfully.

Going all-out defensive would still have left the problem of iffy goalkeeping and inexperienced, out-of-form or accident-prone defenders, upon whom even more pressure would be invited. There was no effective target man for long balls or fast dribblers for counterattacking on the break.

Wins would still be virtually impossible to obtain, without the ability to score. Tho we might have managed a few more 0 - 0 draws.

And the football would have been grim to watch, 90+ minutes of desperately hoping we could hold on without conceding.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

I will get in trouble for this. on 18:39 - Feb 17 with 3767 viewsPJH

I will get in trouble for this. on 18:32 - Feb 17 by Guthrum

The only thing is, I'm not at all sure there were the players available to utilise any other style more successfully.

Going all-out defensive would still have left the problem of iffy goalkeeping and inexperienced, out-of-form or accident-prone defenders, upon whom even more pressure would be invited. There was no effective target man for long balls or fast dribblers for counterattacking on the break.

Wins would still be virtually impossible to obtain, without the ability to score. Tho we might have managed a few more 0 - 0 draws.

And the football would have been grim to watch, 90+ minutes of desperately hoping we could hold on without conceding.

All true but anyone that knew what they were doing that came in after Hurst would first try to lift the morale of the squad(as it seems PL did from day one)and then utilise what they got to acquire points by whatever method.
It would not have been easy and it probably would not have been pretty but I think we all know which Manager or even which type of Manager would have been best for that task.

I loved the scoring an early goal and hanging on method of getting points, particularly away and even more particularly away at Derby.
I will get in trouble for this. on 18:43 - Feb 17 with 3724 viewsBasuco

The performance at the last two games makes the timing of this post very strange, Town are now a very different side to the one PH left behind.
I will get in trouble for this. on 18:47 - Feb 17 with 3664 viewsJakeITFC

I will get in trouble for this. on 18:31 - Feb 17 by Horseboy

League one is every bit as competitive as the championship.

We haven't seen the end of the Evans austerity period as of yet.

Next 12 months we cannot make any more poor decisions in recruitment, ST prices, match day prices, or any off field feel good factors.

Could go either way, come on you blues.

Yup, all true.

I just hope that Evans can see how easy it is to get us fans onside and make the couple of good decisions to keep us there. More than ever he needs to not take the cheap option this summer or it could be terminal for the club.
I will get in trouble for this. on 18:49 - Feb 17 with 3666 viewsPecker

I will get in trouble for this. on 18:43 - Feb 17 by Basuco

The performance at the last two games makes the timing of this post very strange, Town are now a very different side to the one PH left behind.

I wanted to give him time. I said that performances had improved slightly, but results haven't been what I expected or hoped.
I will get in trouble for this. on 19:03 - Feb 17 with 3595 viewsBluesquid

I will get in trouble for this. on 18:14 - Feb 17 by Guthrum

It possibly suggests that the squad was worse than some of us thought (I, too, believed Lambert would be able to get more out of what he had available).

Not necessarily in terms of individual quality, but more structural. The significant gaps in the team - especially the lack of confident, experienced, in form strikers. The nervousness of the defence and the wobbling goalkeepers.

Even when reinforcements did arrive, some of them didn't really work (e.g. Elder), some proved fragile (Collins) and even the best have taken a few games to get up to full speed.

Other than that we are relying on returnees from injury (Bishop), youths (Downes, Chalobah) and the odd one or two of Hurst's signings coming good (Nolan).

Plus other key players are falling like flies - Lankester, Skuse, Chambers, Sears. All vital over these few weeks and all unavailable or operating at half power having been rushed back.

The so-called "new manager bounce" is, in reality, just the players released from a tactical framework which wasn't working and remotivated. If player quality is a major part of the initial problem, there's nothing to bounce and there won't be one.

We saw a "bounce" last week against Derby but we did not see it in the previous matches - Villa, Blackburn, Wednesday, all matches we could have come away with something from, perhaps at least 4 points there.

That fact that we had that performance last week against Derby shows us what we are capable of but imo it wasn't the same yesterday.

The next 2 games are massive not just for us but also for Lambert, if we can't repeat that Derby performance against Wigan (players will be properly rested this time after having 3 close games) and Reading then questions are quite rightly going to be asked of Lambert.
[Post edited 17 Feb 2019 19:05]
I will get in trouble for this. on 19:05 - Feb 17 with 3583 viewsWickets

Lets not forget that players who have not been playing much need about half a dozen games to get up to speed, for me we are only just seeing what PL team is capable of doing.
I will get in trouble for this. on 19:09 - Feb 17 with 3560 viewsPecker

I will get in trouble for this. on 19:05 - Feb 17 by Wickets

Lets not forget that players who have not been playing much need about half a dozen games to get up to speed, for me we are only just seeing what PL team is capable of doing.

I would not dispute that, but I am judging this purely on results. I think that most on here would have expected more points on the board by now.
I will get in trouble for this. on 19:13 - Feb 17 with 3536 viewswarkthisway

I will get in trouble for this. on 19:09 - Feb 17 by Pecker

I would not dispute that, but I am judging this purely on results. I think that most on here would have expected more points on the board by now.

Yes sums it up - worst record in the entire British Isles - and yet everyone just shrugging their shoulders - it is weird isn’t it ?

bentnkuqi

I will get in trouble for this. on 19:36 - Feb 17 with 3423 viewschristiand

See where you're coming from Pecker and no need to apologise, it's a football forum you're entitled to give your viewpoint regardless if others disagree. However, PL has had to make do with PH's signings and squad initially which is more a reflection of the quality that was bought into the club during that fiasco of a summer by our previous manager that results didn't really improve and we didn't get a new manager bounce. We never replaced like with like in my view. Performances have improved since PH's departure and there is much more positivity about the club, which was sadly lacking before, but the results are what they are unfortunately, we've simply not been good enough this season.

My advice, judge PL from next season's pre-season, the damage was done and the rot had firmly set in long before he was appointed. He had a mountain to climb to turn things around. Even with the January transfer window ME didn't really fund him with his first choice signings that were going to make a significant impact; as has come to light the penny pinching and cutting corners has finally caught up with our owner. You get what you pay for, if you pay peanuts you get monkeys!!!
[Post edited 17 Feb 2019 19:39]

Poll: Where will we finish this season?
Blog: Full of Optimism and Hope, the League One Kick Off is Finally Here!

I will get in trouble for this. on 19:41 - Feb 17 with 3388 viewsBasuco

I will get in trouble for this. on 18:49 - Feb 17 by Pecker

I wanted to give him time. I said that performances had improved slightly, but results haven't been what I expected or hoped.

Rome wasn't built in a day.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024