Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
1978 Cup Final 12:11 - Feb 18 with 4969 viewsYoungTractorboy

Does anyone have any clear memories of the '78 cup final and the build up of it or any memorabilia they could post pictures of. I'm writing an historical piece for my university degree, any help would be very appreciated.
1978 Cup Final on 12:14 - Feb 18 with 4081 viewsFtnfwest

i remember not being able to get a ticket despite going to the quarter and semi! It rained for days and days before hand until the day of the final itself which was glorious (although everything including the pitch was still a bit soggy). Cup Final Mastermind was on tv as part of the build up which started at about 9 in the morning.
1978 Cup Final on 12:17 - Feb 18 with 4068 viewsDeano69

quite a bit online such as http://www.bbc.co.uk/suffolk/content/articles/2008/05/01/fans_memories_1978_feat

might be worth speaking to Tim and Liz Edwards. They have the Ipswich Town Heritage Society and have exactly what you are looking for having asked the same question last year for the 40th Anniversary.

Poll: What view setting do you use for TWTD

1978 Cup Final on 12:18 - Feb 18 with 4049 viewsYoungTractorboy

1978 Cup Final on 12:17 - Feb 18 by Deano69

quite a bit online such as http://www.bbc.co.uk/suffolk/content/articles/2008/05/01/fans_memories_1978_feat

might be worth speaking to Tim and Liz Edwards. They have the Ipswich Town Heritage Society and have exactly what you are looking for having asked the same question last year for the 40th Anniversary.

I'll look in to it, thank you!
1978 Cup Final on 12:19 - Feb 18 with 4047 viewsYoungTractorboy

1978 Cup Final on 12:14 - Feb 18 by Ftnfwest

i remember not being able to get a ticket despite going to the quarter and semi! It rained for days and days before hand until the day of the final itself which was glorious (although everything including the pitch was still a bit soggy). Cup Final Mastermind was on tv as part of the build up which started at about 9 in the morning.

I thought it was in the middle of the heatwave, that sort of detail will help massively. Thanks.
1978 Cup Final on 12:20 - Feb 18 with 4045 viewsDeano69

1978 Cup Final on 12:18 - Feb 18 by YoungTractorboy

I'll look in to it, thank you!

Town Fans Asked for 1978 Cup Photos and Memorabilia for Exhibition 6th Apr 2018 17:06
The photographs, memorabilia and memories of Town supporters will take pride of place in a major exhibition at the second PhotoEast photography festival in May this year, coinciding with the 40th anniversary of the Blues’ 1978 FA Cup win. 0

Poll: What view setting do you use for TWTD

1978 Cup Final on 12:34 - Feb 18 with 4007 viewsfactual_blue

I've got a copy of this somewhere.

In those days, the BBC used to release a record every year of the FA Cup Final radio commentary.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

1978 Cup Final on 12:37 - Feb 18 with 3983 viewsKing_of_Portman_Rd

Not of any use to this thread, but I recently purchased a programme for the 78 cup final from a Sue Ryder shop for the princely sum of £1

It is in very good condition and an interesting read for someone who missed it, having been born in the 80's. The surprising thing was that it popped up in a charity shop in the midlands..
1978 Cup Final on 12:37 - Feb 18 with 3981 viewsPJH

1978 Cup Final on 12:34 - Feb 18 by factual_blue

I've got a copy of this somewhere.

In those days, the BBC used to release a record every year of the FA Cup Final radio commentary.

I have got that and "We Won The Cup" which was produced by Radio Orwell.
Login to get fewer ads

1978 Cup Final on 12:53 - Feb 18 with 3944 viewsFtnfwest

1978 Cup Final on 12:19 - Feb 18 by YoungTractorboy

I thought it was in the middle of the heatwave, that sort of detail will help massively. Thanks.

Was at the start of a warmer spell but prior to the day itself we had on/off rain for a couple of weeks at least from memory. Made the pitch much heavier than the usual 'billiard table'
1978 Cup Final on 13:34 - Feb 18 with 3867 viewsfactual_blue

1978 Cup Final on 12:14 - Feb 18 by Ftnfwest

Me neither.

Attendance at the Millwall game should have meant an automatic ticket for the final.

Instead the club fiddled the voucher scheme to give armfuls of tickets to players and staff.

1978 Cup Final on 14:09 - Feb 18 with 3800 viewsjontysnut

1978 Cup Final on 13:34 - Feb 18 by factual_blue

Me neither.

Attendance at the Millwall game should have meant an automatic ticket for the final.

Instead the club fiddled the voucher scheme to give armfuls of tickets to players and staff.

yes despite having gone to lots of games me and my dad had enough vouchers between us for one ticket. I let him have it as I thought I'd see plenty more! He went on a bus with the Loco club and even though he wasn't much of a drinker came home in a right old state - mainly as they stopped off in another club going down and coming back as well as 'large lights' on the bus. I think his match day attire was a brown suit, kipper tie and a trilby.
1978 Cup Final on 14:21 - Feb 18 with 3786 viewsswede

1978 Cup Final on 13:34 - Feb 18 by factual_blue

Me neither.

The vouchers must have been given at home league matches too as my brother and I had enough for a final ticket. We went to the semi & Bristol Rovers away, but not to Millwall.
I then queued all night at PR to get my sister a ticket in the second release.
We all went down to Wembley on one of the coaches from PR.
1978 Cup Final on 14:29 - Feb 18 with 3764 viewsfactual_blue

1978 Cup Final on 14:21 - Feb 18 by swede

The vouchers must have been given at home league matches too as my brother and I had enough for a final ticket. We went to the semi & Bristol Rovers away, but not to Millwall.
I then queued all night at PR to get my sister a ticket in the second release.
We all went down to Wembley on one of the coaches from PR.

I had two of the three vouchers, which I thought would be enough. Turned out that the club had printed x number of vouchers for each of the games there were issued at, and shared any vouchers remaining from each game around the players and staff.

I was living & working the Midlands at the time, so couldn't get the time off to queue for tickets for the final.

1978 Cup Final on 14:57 - Feb 18 with 3708 viewsFixed_It

1978 Cup Final on 14:29 - Feb 18 by factual_blue

I had two of the three vouchers, which I thought would be enough. Turned out that the club had printed x number of vouchers for each of the games there were issued at, and shared any vouchers remaining from each game around the players and staff.

I was living & working the Midlands at the time, so couldn't get the time off to queue for tickets for the final.

My brother queued for me as I was at school. I had all the vouchers and he had none. They gave him 2 tickers stuck together by mistake. He enjoyed your day out! :)

Ready! Steady! Cook!
Poll: Club v. Country - which comes first for you?

1978 Cup Final on 15:06 - Feb 18 with 3680 viewsCoastalblue

1978 Cup Final on 12:53 - Feb 18 by Ftnfwest

Was at the start of a warmer spell but prior to the day itself we had on/off rain for a couple of weeks at least from memory. Made the pitch much heavier than the usual 'billiard table'

Didn't we play Arsenal a week or two before the final at PR when the pitch looked like it had about an inch of standing water on it in some areas?

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.
Poll: If someone promised you promotion next season, would you think

1978 Cup Final on 15:10 - Feb 18 with 3673 viewsPJH

1978 Cup Final on 15:06 - Feb 18 by Coastalblue

Didn't we play Arsenal a week or two before the final at PR when the pitch looked like it had about an inch of standing water on it in some areas?

We played Arsenal at PR first game of 1977/78 season and the pitch was waterlogged.
From memory the players left the pitch for a while during a downpour but I cannot find confirmation of that.

Edit-pleased to say that I have now found confirmation that the players did leave the pitch for a while.
[Post edited 18 Feb 2019 15:40]
1978 Cup Final on 15:32 - Feb 18 with 3632 viewsjaykay

1978 Cup Final on 12:53 - Feb 18 by Ftnfwest

you might be thinking of the playoff final. i remember going to leeds castle on the saturday night to see van morrison and on the way home the A12 was was blocked with flood water after heavy rain. we were diverted through kelvedon . water was still laying on the road monday of the game when we travelled down to wembley, but the sun was out and we had a heatwave. i was 29 and travelled by car for the cup final but cant remember any bad weather that week, but i could be wrong at being 70 years old now

forensic experts say footers and spruces fingerprints were not found at the scene after the weekends rows

1978 Cup Final on 16:07 - Feb 18 with 3593 viewsgood_at_COD

1978 Cup Final on 15:32 - Feb 18 by jaykay

you might be thinking of the playoff final. i remember going to leeds castle on the saturday night to see van morrison and on the way home the A12 was was blocked with flood water after heavy rain. we were diverted through kelvedon . water was still laying on the road monday of the game when we travelled down to wembley, but the sun was out and we had a heatwave. i was 29 and travelled by car for the cup final but cant remember any bad weather that week, but i could be wrong at being 70 years old now

It rained so much that the game was close to being called off.

Giggsy

1978 Cup Final on 16:08 - Feb 18 with 3588 viewsfactual_blue

1978 Cup Final on 14:57 - Feb 18 by Fixed_It

My brother queued for me as I was at school. I had all the vouchers and he had none. They gave him 2 tickers stuck together by mistake. He enjoyed your day out! :)

That was clearly the real start of the club's financial worries.

1978 Cup Final on 16:26 - Feb 18 with 3560 viewsblueislander

1978 Cup Final on 16:07 - Feb 18 by good_at_COD

It rained so much that the game was close to being called off.

I was at the game, but not living in Ipswich at the time, so missed the euphoria of the journeys to and from Wembley. Atmosphere among the fans was of course very special, but somehow the semi at Highbury was more emotional. After we scored time seemed to stand still. When Arsenal got a shot on target, Cooper, who saved it easily, drummed his feet into the turf as he lay there, obviously realizing that we had won. After the match a couple of mates and myself went to a few pubs in The Covent Garden area, before it was tarted up, and everyone who wasn’t an Arsenal fan were really pleased for us. Although he didn’t know it, Facters was banned from going to Wembley, the police had had a word with the club.
1978 Cup Final on 16:28 - Feb 18 with 3557 viewsSwansea_Blue

"historical piece"

*goes off to cry in a corner*

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

1978 Cup Final on 16:41 - Feb 18 with 3528 viewsGipeswic

I suggest you contact Delia Smith...
1978 Cup Final on 18:32 - Feb 18 with 3458 viewsmonty_radio

Be sure to record that Arsenal fans en bloc declared us to be the better side. I travelled halfway across North London with a busload who were all saying how much we deserved it.

Blog: Too Many Suspects? – A Swede Ramble

1978 Cup Final on 19:22 - Feb 18 with 3405 viewsWhymarkmariner

What a day. Me and my then Brother-in-law went to the final with a banner "Robson's Rebels" Virtual everything I had on head to toe was Blue and White. The best banner I saw was " Whymarkmariner when Woods will Wark it in" another one was " Gossamer smooth Mariner will slip round Big Willie" The only game I missed up to the final was Cardiff away. Bristol Rovers was diabolical. The game shouldn't have been played, more like a skating rink than a football pitch and they were unlucky not to have beaten us. West Brom semi was superb at Highbury and then on to the big day. I've got that LP as well, seems to speed up like the chipmonks at one stage. Apparently according to the commentary we arrived in our charabancs ? Were we really that agricultural.
1978 Cup Final on 19:57 - Feb 18 with 3359 viewsBluespeed225

1978 Cup Final on 12:37 - Feb 18 by PJH

I have got that and "We Won The Cup" which was produced by Radio Orwell.

I was the last person to wear Talbots shirt from that pic. It’s framed up now, but for an hour I wore it in the house. I don’t carry too much weight, but boy, those lads were lean!
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024