Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Story Of Skinhead 22:32 - Feb 18 with 4564 viewsjeera

BBC 4 now.

Accompanying music coming up hopefully?

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Story Of Skinhead on 22:41 - Feb 18 with 4538 viewsLord_Lucan

Nice one

Missed the first 10 mins so I'll check back on it.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Story Of Skinhead on 00:13 - Feb 19 with 4483 viewsMelford

Dragging TWTD into the gutter since 2009
Poll: What do you call this site?

Story Of Skinhead on 09:36 - Feb 20 with 4267 viewsbritbiker

Being a metalhead I hated skinheads.
Still definately not my type of music but the first episode did bring to light how the whole original skinhead image was highjacked. When I see a skinhead I think far right thugs which I guess the program was tyring to stress was wrong.
Well worth watch.
Story Of Skinhead on 09:46 - Feb 20 with 4262 viewsEwan_Oozami

Story Of Skinhead on 09:36 - Feb 20 by britbiker

Still definately not my type of music but the first episode did bring to light how the whole original skinhead image was highjacked. When I see a skinhead I think far right thugs which I guess the program was tyring to stress was wrong.
Well worth watch.

Where I lived in Essex in the 70s, I had a few skinhead friends who loved reggae, ska, even Judge Dread - we had lots of afro-caribbean friends and spoke the patois, yet many were also joining right-wing groups like the National Front. Illustrated perfectly for me how thoughts and actions can be so disconnected as to be incomprehensible!

Just one small problem; sell their houses to who, Ben? Fcking Aquaman?
Poll: What else could go on top of the cake apart from icing and a cherry?

Story Of Skinhead on 11:34 - Feb 20 with 4232 viewsMullysplace1

Well worth watch.

A lot of skinheads were mates with jamaican guys. The far right hi jacked the whole movement really. Why would blokes who embraced reggae and ska dislike those guys ? The whole 2 tone movement was embracing black and white culture. Skinheads followed those bands avidly. The far right tried to move in on it, and it has stuck,people get the wrong idea. Skinhead came from working class Mods originally, and Mods certainly were not racist.
Story Of Skinhead on 11:40 - Feb 20 with 4230 viewsRadlett_blue

Story Of Skinhead on 11:34 - Feb 20 by Mullysplace1

A lot of skinheads were mates with jamaican guys. The far right hi jacked the whole movement really. Why would blokes who embraced reggae and ska dislike those guys ? The whole 2 tone movement was embracing black and white culture. Skinheads followed those bands avidly. The far right tried to move in on it, and it has stuck,people get the wrong idea. Skinhead came from working class Mods originally, and Mods certainly were not racist.

Although some of the skinheads who attended gigs by 2Tone bands such as the Specials used to delight in chanting "Sieg Heil" while giving Nazi salutes.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Story Of Skinhead on 11:46 - Feb 20 with 4221 viewsnoggin

Story Of Skinhead on 11:40 - Feb 20 by Radlett_blue

Although some of the skinheads who attended gigs by 2Tone bands such as the Specials used to delight in chanting "Sieg Heil" while giving Nazi salutes.

And were quickly told to fekk off by the bands.

Poll: Which team thread should I participate in?

Story Of Skinhead on 11:47 - Feb 20 with 4221 viewsMullysplace1

Story Of Skinhead on 11:40 - Feb 20 by Radlett_blue

The band would stop playing, and it mainly happened at Madness gigs, as they were all white. The racist skins thought they had a better image to follow. Hence Madness wrote "Dont quote me on that " which is an answer to those skinheads, and the papers of the day.
Login to get fewer ads

Story Of Skinhead on 14:07 - Feb 20 with 4167 viewsBluespeed225

Well worth watch.

Being Mod, I hated everyone and everyone hated us. It was kin’ great, dangerous, but great. Plenty of time for ‘proper’ bikers, who we had a bit of mutual respect when we were putting in the road miles. Plenty of roadside chats, even a bit of help sometimes. Original skinhead culture the same, but the glue sniffing, right wing lot, fcuk em’. Saw some bad stuff in the mid 80’s, including them attacking Desmond Dekker! They didn’t walk out of the venue, so much as were carried out. A skinhead looks like a skinhead to the untrained eye, they could easily infiltrate gigs etc.
Story Of Skinhead on 17:21 - Feb 20 with 4108 viewsnorth_stand77

I just loved the music and clothes.

Am going to Skamouth in April for the first time, so looking forward to some ska, reggae, northern soul and mod stuff.
Story Of Skinhead on 18:16 - Feb 20 with 4071 viewsLord_Lucan

Story Of Skinhead on 14:07 - Feb 20 by Bluespeed225

Being Mod, I hated everyone and everyone hated us. It was kin’ great, dangerous, but great. Plenty of time for ‘proper’ bikers, who we had a bit of mutual respect when we were putting in the road miles. Plenty of roadside chats, even a bit of help sometimes. Original skinhead culture the same, but the glue sniffing, right wing lot, fcuk em’. Saw some bad stuff in the mid 80’s, including them attacking Desmond Dekker! They didn’t walk out of the venue, so much as were carried out. A skinhead looks like a skinhead to the untrained eye, they could easily infiltrate gigs etc.

I was in Yarmouth one bank holiday, Zoot Suit and all that, the time where within the space of a year it went from Mods Mayday to Skinhead invasion.

Hadn't been there 5 minutes and the biggest gang of skins came bowling down the road, hundreds of the feckers, I turned to leg it and ran straight into a lamp post.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.

Story Of Skinhead on 18:37 - Feb 20 with 4049 viewsBLUEBEAT

boneheads have nothing to do with skinheads

even their hair is shorter 😄

Poll: W or W

Story Of Skinhead on 18:45 - Feb 20 with 4044 viewsbritbiker

Story Of Skinhead on 11:47 - Feb 20 by Mullysplace1

The band would stop playing, and it mainly happened at Madness gigs, as they were all white. The racist skins thought they had a better image to follow. Hence Madness wrote "Dont quote me on that " which is an answer to those skinheads, and the papers of the day.

I know bands like sham69 and Cockbey Rebels had problems with facist skinheads attaching themselves to their gigs. Jimmy Pursey the lead singer has spoken a lot about it..
Story Of Skinhead on 19:33 - Feb 20 with 4014 viewsLord_Lucan

Story Of Skinhead on 18:45 - Feb 20 by britbiker

I know bands like sham69 and Cockbey Rebels had problems with facist skinheads attaching themselves to their gigs. Jimmy Pursey the lead singer has spoken a lot about it..

Sham69 were targeted massively, not so much by skinheads alone but the right wing in general, I presume you mean Cockney Rejects as well but I'm not sure that some of that wasn't of their own making - I'm not 100% sure on the last bit, just an opinion.

Jimmy Pursey of course went completely nuts and became a New Romantic - as New Romantics were finishing.

Contrary to earlier comments I would say The Specials suffered a lot more than Madness on the Sieg Heil front.

Madness are essentially a comedy band anyway, and their gigs are largely attended by comedy people.

Story Of Skinhead on 20:22 - Feb 20 with 3991 viewsBLUEBEAT

Story Of Skinhead on 19:33 - Feb 20 by Lord_Lucan

Sham69 were targeted massively, not so much by skinheads alone but the right wing in general, I presume you mean Cockney Rejects as well but I'm not sure that some of that wasn't of their own making - I'm not 100% sure on the last bit, just an opinion.

Jimmy Pursey of course went completely nuts and became a New Romantic - as New Romantics were finishing.

Contrary to earlier comments I would say The Specials suffered a lot more than Madness on the Sieg Heil front.

Madness are essentially a comedy band anyway, and their gigs are largely attended by comedy people.

Cock Sparrer too.

Poll: W or W

Story Of Skinhead on 20:54 - Feb 20 with 3952 viewsBluespeed225

Story Of Skinhead on 18:16 - Feb 20 by Lord_Lucan

I was in Yarmouth one bank holiday, Zoot Suit and all that, the time where within the space of a year it went from Mods Mayday to Skinhead invasion.

Hadn't been there 5 minutes and the biggest gang of skins came bowling down the road, hundreds of the feckers, I turned to leg it and ran straight into a lamp post.

Southend was a hairy one! Clacton, with some ICF (lots of ex skins in London Casual firms once they realised how stupid they looked), trips to West End round Carnaby Street could be a safety in numbers job!
Story Of Skinhead on 21:18 - Feb 20 with 3926 viewsLord_Lucan

Story Of Skinhead on 20:54 - Feb 20 by Bluespeed225

Southend was a hairy one! Clacton, with some ICF (lots of ex skins in London Casual firms once they realised how stupid they looked), trips to West End round Carnaby Street could be a safety in numbers job!

I was in Carnaby Street once as a youngster and Mod was on the back foot, skins were becoming big time. My mate and I were getting threatened continually, most of them asking for money to leave us alone. Didn't part with a penny but if it wasn't for a great old Italian cafe owner I reckon it would have been a worse day, we must have been holed up in that cafe for an hour!

Mod to Skin happened so quick, I think that's why I'm not a lover of Ska.

Edit; Scooter boys now wind me up as much as Skins. at the end of the day they both want to be Mod but they can't pull it off.
[Post edited 20 Feb 2019 21:25]

Story Of Skinhead on 21:38 - Feb 20 with 3897 viewsjaykay

the mods were most active from 64 to 69 as were rockers . skins started late 60s as the original mods married and settled down.
i was a rocker at the time as in my avatar, a pic of me and my mates

forensic experts say footers and spruces fingerprints were not found at the scene after the weekends rows

Story Of Skinhead on 08:14 - Feb 21 with 3757 viewsbritbiker

Yes meant rejects not rebels. Thanks
Story Of Skinhead on 09:25 - Feb 21 with 3733 viewsMullysplace1

Madness got targeted badly, as they were all white. Hence, as l said before, they wrote Dont quote me on that ln response. All the 2 tone bands got targeted, and to say Madness were a comedy band isnt correct at all, yes their music was jolly, but a lot of politics was hidden in their songs, more so the album tracks than the singles.
Story Of Skinhead on 10:29 - Feb 21 with 3699 viewsLord_Lucan

Story Of Skinhead on 09:25 - Feb 21 by Mullysplace1

Madness got targeted badly, as they were all white. Hence, as l said before, they wrote Dont quote me on that ln response. All the 2 tone bands got targeted, and to say Madness were a comedy band isnt correct at all, yes their music was jolly, but a lot of politics was hidden in their songs, more so the album tracks than the singles.

Don't get me wrong, I didn't mind them, the first two albums were ok. Once they stopped singing about knicker thieves and entered the House of Fun I went off them.

They were never a raw band though

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024