Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Do we actually have our own song - not stolen from anyone ?? 14:10 - Feb 19 with 29083 viewsGeefunk

Wow loving this going down business has really galvanised the fans........
Do we actually have our own song - not stolen from anyone ?? on 19:40 - Feb 19 with 4826 viewsJakeITFC

Do we actually have our own song - not stolen from anyone ?? on 17:30 - Feb 19 by PJH

If you google "Halls of Montezuma" song that gives you the tune.

I cannot remember all of the words but I think it included "We'll fight fight fight for Ipswich to win the football league".

It was a long time ago, probably late 1960's early 1970's.

edit-in fact thinking about it it might just have been:-

From the banks of the river Orwell to the shores of Sicily
We'll fight fight fight for Ipswich to win the football league.
[Post edited 19 Feb 2019 17:36]

Man United song, still sung now.
Do we actually have our own song - not stolen from anyone ?? on 19:44 - Feb 19 with 4820 viewsRoyKeanesDog

We should change the words of this to

"I want to go to heaven for the weather, Ipswich for the company. I want to go to heaven for the weather, but Ipswich seems fun to me."

Poll: Best Football Song

Do we actually have our own song - not stolen from anyone ?? on 19:50 - Feb 19 with 4806 viewsnorth_stand77

Do we actually have our own song - not stolen from anyone ?? on 19:35 - Feb 19 by PJH

Yes and memories of some very good ITFC times.

Exactly! There was never a thought that there was a game coming up that we couldn't win. And usually we were right.

I was a young teenager in the 70's and everything revolved around Ipswich football. Home and away - and abroad. Brilliant times that we were lucky to have.
Do we actually have our own song - not stolen from anyone ?? on 19:53 - Feb 19 with 4800 viewsPJH

Do we actually have our own song - not stolen from anyone ?? on 19:50 - Feb 19 by north_stand77

Exactly! There was never a thought that there was a game coming up that we couldn't win. And usually we were right.

I was a young teenager in the 70's and everything revolved around Ipswich football. Home and away - and abroad. Brilliant times that we were lucky to have.

Yes, I was even luckier because being born in 1951 to ITFC supporting parents I got to see 1961/62 too.

My European record is quite modest,I did Twente(the first time we played them)Feyenoord,Bruges,Landskrona,Amsterdam and Milan.
Do we actually have our own song - not stolen from anyone ?? on 19:58 - Feb 19 with 4781 viewsZedRodgers

I came up with quite a good song about David Johnson to the tune of Vengaboys - Uncle John from Jamaica.

I’m just not sure what any of the words are or whether they would now be considered inappropriate.

No, not at the moment

Do we actually have our own song - not stolen from anyone ?? on 20:04 - Feb 19 with 4783 viewsnorth_stand77

Do we actually have our own song - not stolen from anyone ?? on 19:53 - Feb 19 by PJH

Yes, I was even luckier because being born in 1951 to ITFC supporting parents I got to see 1961/62 too.

My European record is quite modest,I did Twente(the first time we played them)Feyenoord,Bruges,Landskrona,Amsterdam and Milan.

That's an impressive abroad record.
I managed to do Twente, Feyenoord and Bruges. Then got married and started a family. Carrying babies and football didn't always mix well and I had to become a responsible adult for a while!
Do we actually have our own song - not stolen from anyone ?? on 20:47 - Feb 19 with 4745 viewsBlue_Order

Do we actually have our own song - not stolen from anyone ?? on 19:40 - Feb 19 by JakeITFC

Which United song, mate?
Do we actually have our own song - not stolen from anyone ?? on 20:56 - Feb 19 with 4738 viewsOxford_Blue

Do we actually have our own song - not stolen from anyone ?? on 15:13 - Feb 19 by TractorCam

Allez allez allez is definitely us and us only.

Sadly it’s not.

It’s a Liverpool song.
Login to get fewer ads

Do we actually have our own song - not stolen from anyone ?? on 20:57 - Feb 19 with 4737 viewsOxford_Blue

Do we actually have our own song - not stolen from anyone ?? on 16:03 - Feb 19 by ITFC_Forever

How many other clubs sing about 1962 and Sir Bobby etc?

The tune might be the same.... but the words aren't.

Applying that logic, every song we sing which has “Ipswich” in it is original even if other clubs sing the same song with their name substituted.
Do we actually have our own song - not stolen from anyone ?? on 20:58 - Feb 19 with 4733 viewsOxford_Blue

Do we actually have our own song - not stolen from anyone ?? on 19:40 - Feb 19 by JakeITFC

And Man City
Do we actually have our own song - not stolen from anyone ?? on 21:04 - Feb 19 with 4725 viewsJakeITFC

Do we actually have our own song - not stolen from anyone ?? on 20:47 - Feb 19 by Blue_Order

Which United song, mate?

Do we actually have our own song - not stolen from anyone ?? on 21:10 - Feb 19 with 4715 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Isn't Edward Ebenezer Jeremiah Brown original?

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Do we actually have our own song - not stolen from anyone ?? on 21:36 - Feb 19 with 4681 viewsBlue_Order

Do we actually have our own song - not stolen from anyone ?? on 21:04 - Feb 19 by JakeITFC

Nice one, mate. That’s class.
Do we actually have our own song - not stolen from anyone ?? on 21:51 - Feb 19 with 4665 viewsMJR101

Do we actually have our own song - not stolen from anyone ?? on 21:04 - Feb 19 by JakeITFC

Totally different tune.
Do we actually have our own song - not stolen from anyone ?? on 21:57 - Feb 19 with 4651 viewsPJH

Do we actually have our own song - not stolen from anyone ?? on 21:51 - Feb 19 by MJR101

Totally different tune.

Certainly seems to be.Sounds more like Rivers Of Babylon rather that Halls Of Montezuma.
Do we actually have our own song - not stolen from anyone ?? on 22:04 - Feb 19 with 4644 viewsMelford

Do we actually have our own song - not stolen from anyone ?? on 15:27 - Feb 19 by WarkTheWarkITFC

Wasn't the Bontcho one an original at the time? Or did we copy that as well.

I never heard any other club use that at time, although it's not heavily used by clubs some 25 years later.

I think this was a Town original. First time I heard that was at Leeds away in Jan 1993, just looked it up and it was released as a single in the same month. Until Kolo/Yaya I hadn't heard any other club sing a tune to that melody.

Dragging TWTD into the gutter since 2009
Poll: What do you call this site?

Do we actually have our own song - not stolen from anyone ?? on 22:09 - Feb 19 with 4631 viewsJakeITFC

Do we actually have our own song - not stolen from anyone ?? on 21:57 - Feb 19 by PJH

Certainly seems to be.Sounds more like Rivers Of Babylon rather that Halls Of Montezuma.

Yeah, odd that (had never heard the Ipswich version but just listened to the song you mentioned and deffo different).

Weird that they are pretty much identical word for word but to a different tune.
Do we actually have our own song - not stolen from anyone ?? on 22:10 - Feb 19 with 4629 viewsMelford

Do we actually have our own song - not stolen from anyone ?? on 19:10 - Feb 19 by footers

JD stickers arrived today, buh! Thanks so much for putting the extra effort in, really appreciated! Can't wait to tag up my Nodge-supporting mate's pub with a few...

A classic album pack would be class in the future. Will get my thinking cap on!

There's a few of those stickers plastered on road signs in Melford. I take the dog out for a late night walk with a few stickers in my pocket

Dragging TWTD into the gutter since 2009
Poll: What do you call this site?

Do we actually have our own song - not stolen from anyone ?? on 22:19 - Feb 19 with 4610 viewsPJH

Do we actually have our own song - not stolen from anyone ?? on 22:09 - Feb 19 by JakeITFC

Yeah, odd that (had never heard the Ipswich version but just listened to the song you mentioned and deffo different).

Weird that they are pretty much identical word for word but to a different tune.

Yeah, if the Man U one is to the tune of Rivers Of Babylon it seems the song was written in 1970 but only became popular in 1978.
The River Orwell one to the tune of Halls Of Montezuma certainly predates 1978 and quite possibly predates 1970.
I have no idea if anyone had a earlier version of it to the tune we used but the ITFC one is certainly to the Halls Of Montezuma tune.
Do we actually have our own song - not stolen from anyone ?? on 22:27 - Feb 19 with 4597 viewsLancsBlue

Do we actually have our own song - not stolen from anyone ?? on 19:25 - Feb 19 by north_stand77

The next line was

To hell with Liverpool
To hell with Man City,
We're gonna fight fight fight for Ipswich until we win the football league

Obviously it was word appropriate at the time!

It's a Man Utd song hence the reference to Liverpool and City. First line is banks of the River Irwell.

Poll: If you watch Town less often than in the past, what is the main reason?

Do we actually have our own song - not stolen from anyone ?? on 22:33 - Feb 19 with 4585 viewsJonnosdreadlocks

Do we actually have our own song - not stolen from anyone ?? on 15:16 - Feb 19 by SitfcB

It’s not though...

its cr@p too

Poll: An English Anthem. Wales and Scotland use their own what should England use?

Do we actually have our own song - not stolen from anyone ?? on 22:34 - Feb 19 with 4584 viewsnorth_stand77

Do we actually have our own song - not stolen from anyone ?? on 22:27 - Feb 19 by LancsBlue

It's a Man Utd song hence the reference to Liverpool and City. First line is banks of the River Irwell.

That's definitely not the right tune tho, so sounds very different.
Do we actually have our own song - not stolen from anyone ?? on 23:04 - Feb 19 with 4556 viewsbritbiker

Do we actually have our own song - not stolen from anyone ?? on 19:25 - Feb 19 by north_stand77

The next line was

To hell with Liverpool
To hell with Man City,
We're gonna fight fight fight for Ipswich until we win the football league

Obviously it was word appropriate at the time!

Sorry one of the replies to my original post has disappeared.
From the banks of the river orwell to the shores of sicily
we will fight fight fight for ipswich till we win the football league
to the hell with arsenal
to the hell with man city (their sh1t)
we will fight fight fight for ipswich till we win the football league.

Thats how I remember it but it was many years ago.
Do we actually have our own song - not stolen from anyone ?? on 23:15 - Feb 19 with 4548 viewsDouble_Dutch

Do we actually have our own song - not stolen from anyone ?? on 19:08 - Feb 19 by Blue_Order

I like it 👍

Are there any other proper old ones that you can remember that don’t get sung anymore?

Ipswich score, Ipswich score
Once you get one you’ll get more
We’ll sing you assembly
When we get to Wembley
So score, Ipswich score

For we are sailing, please give us a goal (seem to remember this being sung, not certain about the wording exactly)

You are my Ipswich
My only Ipswich
You make me happy
When skies are grey (and blue and white)
You’ll never notice
How much I love you
So please don’t take
My Ipswich away
Do we actually have our own song - not stolen from anyone ?? on 23:33 - Feb 19 with 4535 viewsbritbiker

Do we actually have our own song - not stolen from anyone ?? on 23:15 - Feb 19 by Double_Dutch

Ipswich score, Ipswich score
Once you get one you’ll get more
We’ll sing you assembly
When we get to Wembley
So score, Ipswich score

For we are sailing, please give us a goal (seem to remember this being sung, not certain about the wording exactly)

You are my Ipswich
My only Ipswich
You make me happy
When skies are grey (and blue and white)
You’ll never notice
How much I love you
So please don’t take
My Ipswich away

yeah remember those.
I think the words are. All we are saying is give us a goal. (not for we are sailing)
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024