Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Do we actually have our own song - not stolen from anyone ?? 14:10 - Feb 19 with 29302 viewsGeefunk

Wow loving this going down business has really galvanised the fans........
Do we actually have our own song - not stolen from anyone ?? on 00:30 - Feb 20 with 5238 viewsParamedic

Do we actually have our own song - not stolen from anyone ?? on 23:33 - Feb 19 by britbiker

yeah remember those.
I think the words are. All we are saying is give us a goal. (not for we are sailing)

I remember Knees Up Mother Brown, not sure why we sung that and I'm Dreaming of a Blue Wembley, sung to the tune of White Christmas. Doubt we'll be singing that one again for a while.

AllalallalSunderland

Do we actually have our own song - not stolen from anyone ?? on 01:33 - Feb 20 with 5215 viewsfloridablue

Do we actually have our own song - not stolen from anyone ?? on 19:20 - Feb 19 by PJH

Well there was "Keep Right On To The End Of The Road" which we won The League to in 1962 but Birmingham still do that and apparently did it before we did.

A lot of those that I can remember from the 1960's & 1970's were specific to the players of the time so obviously no longer relevant.
Mick Hill and Jimmy Robertson had their own chants,as did Warky.

I can't think of anything else but probably someone will come along and mention another one and I will say, yeah I remember that.

I grew up watching Town throughout the 60s and without a doubt 'Keep right on to the end of the Road' was probably the first song I can recall all parts of the Stadium singing together. We seemed to drop it early 70s when 'Amazing Grace...Ipswich, Ipswich with scarfs held above heads became the next anthem from all areas of Portman Rd. Sure I remember that music booming out from speakers as the teams were getting ready to run out for the start.
We need a song that can work with any outcome - Praise You it is! on 01:59 - Feb 20 with 5211 viewsScottCandage

We've come a long, long way together
Through the hard times and the good
I have to celebrate you, Ipswich
I have to Praise you like I should!

Lyrics work whether we're winning or losing, up or down.
Do we actually have our own song - not stolen from anyone ?? on 07:04 - Feb 20 with 5177 viewswitchdoctor

Do we actually have our own song - not stolen from anyone ?? on 17:11 - Feb 19 by PJH

I always sung Hegan is better than Eusebio but quite a while ago someone on here said that it wasn't Hegan-not sure they said it was Crawford either though.
That goes back to 1967/68 or thereabouts.

100% Crawford
Do we actually have our own song - not stolen from anyone ?? on 07:08 - Feb 20 with 5172 viewsWeWereZombies

Do we actually have our own song - not stolen from anyone ?? on 23:33 - Feb 19 by britbiker

yeah remember those.
I think the words are. All we are saying is give us a goal. (not for we are sailing)

'All we are saying...is give us a goal' was sung to the tune of John and Yoko's 'Give Peace A Chance'

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

Do we actually have our own song - not stolen from anyone ?? on 08:00 - Feb 20 with 5159 viewsm14_blue

Do we actually have our own song - not stolen from anyone ?? on 20:56 - Feb 19 by Oxford_Blue

Sadly it’s not.

It’s a Liverpool song.

*Rangers
Do we actually have our own song - not stolen from anyone ?? on 09:01 - Feb 20 with 5137 viewsSouperJim

I'm sure we do come up with some originals, unless these were also stolen and I just don't know about it. Off the top of my head:-

You've been f*cking tango'ed
Matteo Sereni (Can't Take My Eyes off You - Frankie Valli)
Alan Lee (Gold - Spandau Ballet)
Spirit in the Sky (Culture Club)
Ole ole, we're the tractor boys...

Poll: Prawn Crackers
Blog: Broken Ipswich

Do we actually have our own song - not stolen from anyone ?? on 09:27 - Feb 20 with 5123 viewsPJH

Do we actually have our own song - not stolen from anyone ?? on 01:33 - Feb 20 by floridablue

I grew up watching Town throughout the 60s and without a doubt 'Keep right on to the end of the Road' was probably the first song I can recall all parts of the Stadium singing together. We seemed to drop it early 70s when 'Amazing Grace...Ipswich, Ipswich with scarfs held above heads became the next anthem from all areas of Portman Rd. Sure I remember that music booming out from speakers as the teams were getting ready to run out for the start.

In 1961/62 and later the team ran out to "Entry Of The Gladiators" and the teams did not come out together back then.
Login to get fewer ads

Do we actually have our own song - not stolen from anyone ?? on 09:30 - Feb 20 with 5120 viewsfooters

Do we actually have our own song - not stolen from anyone ?? on 09:01 - Feb 20 by SouperJim

I'm sure we do come up with some originals, unless these were also stolen and I just don't know about it. Off the top of my head:-

Alan Lee song could well work for Will Keane... if he ever gets round to scoring that is.

footers KC - Prosecution Barrister - Friend to all
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Do we actually have our own song - not stolen from anyone ?? on 09:34 - Feb 20 with 5118 viewsWeWereZombies

Do we actually have our own song - not stolen from anyone ?? on 09:01 - Feb 20 by SouperJim

'Spirit In The Sky' was by Dr. and the Medics

[edit] and originally by Norman Greenbaum.
[Post edited 20 Feb 2019 9:35]

Do we actually have our own song - not stolen from anyone ?? on 09:43 - Feb 20 with 5106 viewsPJH

Do we actually have our own song - not stolen from anyone ?? on 09:34 - Feb 20 by WeWereZombies

'Spirit In The Sky' was by Dr. and the Medics

[edit] and originally by Norman Greenbaum.
[Post edited 20 Feb 2019 9:35]

I have still got the Norman Greenbaum single purchased from whatever the record shop in Queen Street Ipswich was called at in the time(1969/70).
Do we actually have our own song - not stolen from anyone ?? on 09:48 - Feb 20 with 5103 viewsWeWereZombies

Do we actually have our own song - not stolen from anyone ?? on 09:43 - Feb 20 by PJH

I have still got the Norman Greenbaum single purchased from whatever the record shop in Queen Street Ipswich was called at in the time(1969/70).

The one that was set back a little from the road in a sort of corner and also sold musical instruments? I think it had the imaginative name of 'Ipswich Record Shop' but later became a branch of Parrot Records.

I can remember listening to ELP's 'Lucky Man' in one of the booths at the back and buying the 'Maggie Mae' single there, also being in there when someone returned a copy of T.Rex's 'Electric Warrior' because they thought the electronic sounds were a fault on the record.

Do we actually have our own song - not stolen from anyone ?? on 09:54 - Feb 20 with 5093 viewsPJH

Do we actually have our own song - not stolen from anyone ?? on 09:48 - Feb 20 by WeWereZombies

The one that was set back a little from the road in a sort of corner and also sold musical instruments? I think it had the imaginative name of 'Ipswich Record Shop' but later became a branch of Parrot Records.

I can remember listening to ELP's 'Lucky Man' in one of the booths at the back and buying the 'Maggie Mae' single there, also being in there when someone returned a copy of T.Rex's 'Electric Warrior' because they thought the electronic sounds were a fault on the record.

Wasn't Andy's Records also Queen Street but not sure if all wwere different incarnations of the same shop?
I think Dennis Waterman did the official opening of one of them when he was riding high with "I Could Be So Good For You".

I probably got my Maggie May single from there too.
Do we actually have our own song - not stolen from anyone ?? on 09:59 - Feb 20 with 5089 viewsWeWereZombies

Do we actually have our own song - not stolen from anyone ?? on 09:54 - Feb 20 by PJH

Wasn't Andy's Records also Queen Street but not sure if all wwere different incarnations of the same shop?
I think Dennis Waterman did the official opening of one of them when he was riding high with "I Could Be So Good For You".

I probably got my Maggie May single from there too.

I'm not sure whether it was Andy's or Parrot now. My sister gave me a book called 'The Great British Woodstock' because I went to Weeley in 1971 - reading it I found out that I had witnessed the first live performance of 'Maggie May'.

Do we actually have our own song - not stolen from anyone ?? on 10:04 - Feb 20 with 5083 viewsPJH

Do we actually have our own song - not stolen from anyone ?? on 09:59 - Feb 20 by WeWereZombies

I'm not sure whether it was Andy's or Parrot now. My sister gave me a book called 'The Great British Woodstock' because I went to Weeley in 1971 - reading it I found out that I had witnessed the first live performance of 'Maggie May'.

Maggie May remains in my top 5 singles of all time.
My girlfriend at the time did not like the words because I was 19 and she was 38-that is certainly not why it remains in my top 5 though.Her name was not Maggie May though.

I think the shop could have been Andy's and Parrot at different times and they might have been there at the same time as the shop that also sold musical instruments.
Do we actually have our own song - not stolen from anyone ?? on 20:23 - Feb 20 with 4999 viewsMelford

Do we actually have our own song - not stolen from anyone ?? on 09:59 - Feb 20 by WeWereZombies

I bought that book for my old man for Xmas because he went to Weeley, along with a big framed repro print of the 1970 Isle Of Wight festival poster beacuse he did that one too. That was such a great time to be young and free.

Dragging TWTD into the gutter since 2009
Poll: What do you call this site?

Do we actually have our own song - not stolen from anyone ?? on 20:44 - Feb 20 with 4984 viewsWeWereZombies

Do we actually have our own song - not stolen from anyone ?? on 20:23 - Feb 20 by Melford

I bought that book for my old man for Xmas because he went to Weeley, along with a big framed repro print of the 1970 Isle Of Wight festival poster beacuse he did that one too. That was such a great time to be young and free.

In a way but, and I'm sure you have browsed the book and the website, we were also very wet behind the ears as far as festivals go back then. I was 16 and had paid for my ticket in advance with postal orders I think. No idea what to expect - did I think my £1.50 would include board and lodging? Anyway I turned up in the clothes I wore without a tent, sleeping bag or any food and, maybe, a couple of quid in my pocket. One of my purchases that weekend was a doss bag, in effect a human size jiffy bag. I managed to make it last through a couple of Reading festivals too!

And Roy Clarke, who wrote the book, barely managed a day at Weeley before, and with more resources than I had, he gave up and went home. Friday lunchtime till a couple of hours before breakfast on the Monday, me.

Do we actually have our own song - not stolen from anyone ?? on 20:44 - Feb 20 with 4984 viewscarlisleaway

Do we actually have our own song - not stolen from anyone ?? on 20:23 - Feb 20 by Melford

What about the Tony Mowbray song
Do we actually have our own song - not stolen from anyone ?? on 20:46 - Feb 20 with 4974 viewsOxford_Blue

Do we actually have our own song - not stolen from anyone ?? on 20:44 - Feb 20 by carlisleaway

What about the Tony Mowbray song

That was class!
Do we actually have our own song - not stolen from anyone ?? on 20:54 - Feb 20 with 4965 viewsfloridablue

Do we actually have our own song - not stolen from anyone ?? on 20:44 - Feb 20 by WeWereZombies

In a way but, and I'm sure you have browsed the book and the website, we were also very wet behind the ears as far as festivals go back then. I was 16 and had paid for my ticket in advance with postal orders I think. No idea what to expect - did I think my £1.50 would include board and lodging? Anyway I turned up in the clothes I wore without a tent, sleeping bag or any food and, maybe, a couple of quid in my pocket. One of my purchases that weekend was a doss bag, in effect a human size jiffy bag. I managed to make it last through a couple of Reading festivals too!

And Roy Clarke, who wrote the book, barely managed a day at Weeley before, and with more resources than I had, he gave up and went home. Friday lunchtime till a couple of hours before breakfast on the Monday, me.

This really should be another thread topic..'.Memories of Weeley Fest!'
I was also there for one day/night sleeping rough in the fields of rural Essex as a 16 year old and would be a pleasant change from all the politics threads!
[Post edited 20 Feb 2019 20:56]
Do we actually have our own song - not stolen from anyone ?? on 00:39 - Feb 21 with 4892 viewsamdam81

Do we actually have our own song - not stolen from anyone ?? on 19:50 - Feb 19 by north_stand77

Exactly! There was never a thought that there was a game coming up that we couldn't win. And usually we were right.

I was a young teenager in the 70's and everything revolved around Ipswich football. Home and away - and abroad. Brilliant times that we were lucky to have.

And me .My school report once said "His world is football shaped"
[Post edited 21 Feb 2019 0:46]

Amdam81

Do we actually have our own song - not stolen from anyone ?? on 00:48 - Feb 21 with 4889 viewsamdam81

Do we actually have our own song - not stolen from anyone ?? on 19:53 - Feb 19 by PJH

Yes, I was even luckier because being born in 1951 to ITFC supporting parents I got to see 1961/62 too.

My European record is quite modest,I did Twente(the first time we played them)Feyenoord,Bruges,Landskrona,Amsterdam and Milan.

That's more than Norwich

Amdam81

Do we actually have our own song - not stolen from anyone ?? on 06:02 - Feb 21 with 4842 viewsYallop

Ipswich football calipso....... it's the song that we all know
Do we actually have our own song - not stolen from anyone ?? on 07:51 - Feb 21 with 4809 viewsPJH

Do we actually have our own song - not stolen from anyone ?? on 00:48 - Feb 21 by amdam81

That's more than Norwich

That's true-and we actually won three of those away games.
Do we actually have our own song - not stolen from anyone ?? on 11:46 - Feb 21 with 4765 viewsjontysnut

Do we actually have our own song - not stolen from anyone ?? on 19:20 - Feb 19 by PJH

Well there was "Keep Right On To The End Of The Road" which we won The League to in 1962 but Birmingham still do that and apparently did it before we did.

A lot of those that I can remember from the 1960's & 1970's were specific to the players of the time so obviously no longer relevant.
Mick Hill and Jimmy Robertson had their own chants,as did Warky.

I can't think of anything else but probably someone will come along and mention another one and I will say, yeah I remember that.

I remember my dad signing 'Keep right on...' at the Leeds cup replay at Filbert Street like a pub singer ' her-keep her-right hon to the h-end of the her-ooooodah'

pre-dating the Tractor Boy stuff I'm sure we used to sing ( a la Sailing) ' We are farmers, we are farmers, super farmers from the fields..'
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024