Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The apathy for watching Town seems to be coming to an end 20:42 - Feb 19 with 4579 viewsgtsb

Well it does to me and others I've spoken too. I was out Saturday night talking to a couple of mates who like me have been to the odd game here and there but had certainly got apathetic about going to watch Ipswich over the last few years. It wasn't all down to the entertainment value but also family and work commitments. We all used to go to most games and have now got the appetite back even though we may(will) be in League one. The last few games have swung it for us. I wonder if there are others who feel the same.
The apathy for watching Town seems to be coming to an end on 20:50 - Feb 19 with 4179 viewsDarth_Koont

That's the Stockholm Syndrome talking.

I'll admit this season will stick out from the last 16 but personally I'm not that excited by the thought of us in League One and selling a couple of our better youngsters to pay for the privilege. I'll be even more nonplussed by the thought of us staying down there for years, which is a distinct possibility.

Pronouns: He/Him

The apathy for watching Town seems to be coming to an end on 20:59 - Feb 19 with 4137 viewsgtsb

The apathy for watching Town seems to be coming to an end on 20:50 - Feb 19 by Darth_Koont

That's the Stockholm Syndrome talking.

I'll admit this season will stick out from the last 16 but personally I'm not that excited by the thought of us in League One and selling a couple of our better youngsters to pay for the privilege. I'll be even more nonplussed by the thought of us staying down there for years, which is a distinct possibility.

I have more hope than you, maybe foolishly, but I just think our fortunes will turn for the better next year.
The apathy for watching Town seems to be coming to an end on 21:28 - Feb 19 with 4035 viewsbrogansnose

The apathy for watching Town seems to be coming to an end on 20:59 - Feb 19 by gtsb

I have more hope than you, maybe foolishly, but I just think our fortunes will turn for the better next year.

Do want us to be relegated ? No. Is Going down a disaster ? Yes, but by god I want to go to every game and even if its the atmosphere and level of support that is the only positive then I'll take it. We might just just be on the cusp of a re-birth, more than likely not though, but chuff it, l'm on for the ride.
The apathy for watching Town seems to be coming to an end on 21:37 - Feb 19 with 3989 viewsgtsb

The apathy for watching Town seems to be coming to an end on 21:28 - Feb 19 by brogansnose

Do want us to be relegated ? No. Is Going down a disaster ? Yes, but by god I want to go to every game and even if its the atmosphere and level of support that is the only positive then I'll take it. We might just just be on the cusp of a re-birth, more than likely not though, but chuff it, l'm on for the ride.

No I don't want us to go down but sometimes you have to hit rock bottom before your luck changes. We've been in this division so long and inevitably if you don't go up you go down. We'll be back.
The apathy for watching Town seems to be coming to an end on 22:22 - Feb 19 with 3878 viewsFtnfwest

I think it’s just brought peoples support for the club into focus. They’ve accepted its 99% a done deal for relegation and realised they will still support the club whatever, they will keep going and there ought to be better times ahead. The atmosphere of contempt, from both sides, has gone which can only be a good thing.
The apathy for watching Town seems to be coming to an end on 22:31 - Feb 19 with 3856 viewsLeagueOne

I don't understand the logic behind being excited that we're dropping down to the third division and likely for a long time. All this Dunkirk stuff of late has been masking what is an absolutely massive disaster for Ipswich, we'll be forced to sell players to balance the books and keep within the wage limits set within the confines of FFP.

We're going to struggle, and if you think Mick's football was void of entertainment, thats pretty standard for the leagues below here. It's absolutely dire. If you think Ipswich at home to Rochdale on a cold December mid week is going to be exciting then you are going to be massively disappointed.

We should have thrown the kitchen sink at some stronger additions during the window, a few extra quality players like Judge would have saved us in such a weak league. Instead the best we can manage is draws. Evans has clearly decided "not to go for it" and let Paul do the talking in the hope people still buy into any kind of survival or any sort of hope for next season. It's going to bite the club in the arse when it all turns sour again as the expectation on Lambert is high now for next season.

It's time to make the best of it.
Poll: Would you leave TWTD if political threads were banned?

The apathy for watching Town seems to be coming to an end on 22:42 - Feb 19 with 3818 viewsgtsb

The apathy for watching Town seems to be coming to an end on 22:31 - Feb 19 by LeagueOne

I don't understand the logic behind being excited that we're dropping down to the third division and likely for a long time. All this Dunkirk stuff of late has been masking what is an absolutely massive disaster for Ipswich, we'll be forced to sell players to balance the books and keep within the wage limits set within the confines of FFP.

We're going to struggle, and if you think Mick's football was void of entertainment, thats pretty standard for the leagues below here. It's absolutely dire. If you think Ipswich at home to Rochdale on a cold December mid week is going to be exciting then you are going to be massively disappointed.

We should have thrown the kitchen sink at some stronger additions during the window, a few extra quality players like Judge would have saved us in such a weak league. Instead the best we can manage is draws. Evans has clearly decided "not to go for it" and let Paul do the talking in the hope people still buy into any kind of survival or any sort of hope for next season. It's going to bite the club in the arse when it all turns sour again as the expectation on Lambert is high now for next season.

So you've given up on next season already?
The apathy for watching Town seems to be coming to an end on 22:45 - Feb 19 with 3803 viewsPinewoodblue

The apathy for watching Town seems to be coming to an end on 22:31 - Feb 19 by LeagueOne

Your contributions to political threads are better thought out that your comments on football.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Login to get fewer ads

The apathy for watching Town seems to be coming to an end on 22:45 - Feb 19 with 3802 viewsFtnfwest

Oh no we’ll have to sell all these players that have done so well for us
The apathy for watching Town seems to be coming to an end on 23:19 - Feb 19 with 3714 viewsbritbiker

I have been trying to work out why i am not as upset about it as I should be.

I'm enjoying it more now than i have for a long while.

Are we great on the pitch. No.

Is it gallows humour. maybe.

Is it that maybe my expectations have been lowered over the last decade?

I think the fans have made a massive difference. Section six I think would carry on having a good time even if we were losing six nil.

My only concern for next year is that we sell some of the youngsters rather than building a longer term future.
[Post edited 19 Feb 2019 23:35]
The apathy for watching Town seems to be coming to an end on 23:21 - Feb 19 with 3710 viewsStewart27

What are you talking about?

We have to go down. With the moron in charge of the club there is no choice. We could go on for the next 5 years stinking out the championship as we have done but I’d rather go down, lose some dead wood and give ourselves a chance of winning football matches. Do I think we’ll bounce back up? Absolutely not. Not straight away anyway. But we’ll win more than we lose.

If we scraped through this season with a miracle then we’d be in for the same next year. Clinging on to the hope that we’ll do a Norwich under Lambert is the only hope I have left.
The apathy for watching Town seems to be coming to an end on 23:49 - Feb 19 with 3666 viewsThe_Last_Baron

The apathy for watching Town seems to be coming to an end on 20:59 - Feb 19 by gtsb

We will be back in the Championship within two years. I don't expect to come back straight away, but a season to sort things out and we will win League One in '21.

Poll: Would you support a permanent return to the old yellow Town badge?

The apathy for watching Town seems to be coming to an end on 03:12 - Feb 20 with 3570 viewsharlingblue

I am a season ticket holder, I was bored stiff after the first two years of the McCarthy reign. He had the art of buying good bargain players, and had the contacts for excellent loan players, but never allowed them to express themselves as a team, in their own right.
He always set up to match the opposition, and not dictate them with our style of playing, hence we were never going to be relegated or promoted.
That is not much fun for the supporters, that never even enjoyed a Cup run.
We are bottom of the Championship, well adrift of salvation, have a good Manager with ME prepared to back him, uniting the Club and supporters, who are coming back in their droves, to help with the fight in our relegation plight...apathy has come to an end.
The apathy for watching Town seems to be coming to an end on 06:52 - Feb 20 with 3445 viewsBlueBadger

The apathy for watching Town seems to be coming to an end on 21:37 - Feb 19 by gtsb

No I don't want us to go down but sometimes you have to hit rock bottom before your luck changes. We've been in this division so long and inevitably if you don't go up you go down. We'll be back.

The trouble here, is, I'm sure we're yet AT rock bottom. I can easily see us being a mid-table drifter in League One for a few seasons yet, given the lack of leadership and vision at the tp coupled to the fact that we're likley to lose a fair few to balance the books

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

The apathy for watching Town seems to be coming to an end on 07:23 - Feb 20 with 3370 viewsBenters2

Yeah it has for me,really looking forward to Reading.

It just seems so much better at PR now.
The apathy for watching Town seems to be coming to an end on 08:36 - Feb 20 with 3253 viewsnoggin

You should all be thanking Blue Action. Without their efforts, the atmosphere would be dead and everyone would be as negative as ever. Blue Action deserve massive credit for waking the North Stand up.

Poll: Which team thread should I participate in?

The apathy for watching Town seems to be coming to an end on 08:40 - Feb 20 with 3241 viewsSteve_M

Yes, there is a positivity about the support or rather a determination to make the most of going to games again. To paraphrase Max from Blue Action in the last Turnstile Blues: we want people to enjoy going to matches irrespective of what happens on the pitch.

It probably does need a relatively good season, i.e. making the play-offs or very close to them, to keep it up though. The atmosphere throughout 2014-15 was similarly good and people were very much enjoying that and yet within a year it had all gone crap again.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

The apathy for watching Town seems to be coming to an end on 09:13 - Feb 20 with 3143 viewsMullysplace1

The apathy for watching Town seems to be coming to an end on 03:12 - Feb 20 by harlingblue

I am a season ticket holder, I was bored stiff after the first two years of the McCarthy reign. He had the art of buying good bargain players, and had the contacts for excellent loan players, but never allowed them to express themselves as a team, in their own right.
He always set up to match the opposition, and not dictate them with our style of playing, hence we were never going to be relegated or promoted.
We are bottom of the Championship, well adrift of salvation, have a good Manager with ME prepared to back him, uniting the Club and supporters, who are coming back in their droves, to help with the fight in our relegation plight...apathy has come to an end.

Can see you have been drawn in hook line and sinker by Evans. We wont be coming back anytime soon. People still wearing rose tinted glasses, you are in for a real shock lm afraid.
The apathy for watching Town seems to be coming to an end on 09:14 - Feb 20 with 3137 viewsSteve_M

The apathy for watching Town seems to be coming to an end on 03:12 - Feb 20 by harlingblue

After the first two years of McCarthy's time in charge? What, right in the middle of the play-off season?

The crap stuff under McCarthy was awful at times but there is no need for this revisionism about his whole time in charge.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

The apathy for watching Town seems to be coming to an end on 09:27 - Feb 20 with 3090 viewsHerbivore

Going to games with no real hope that we're going to win is starting to wear me down a bit to be honest. Sure it's nice that there's a better atmosphere on the whole, but my reasons for going to the game aren't really about hearing people sing, it's about the football. I'll still go and support the team but I'm not fully buying into the love in, it feels like it's based on delusion.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

The apathy for watching Town seems to be coming to an end on 11:51 - Feb 20 with 2944 viewsJackSted

The last few seasons I didn't care when we played, who we played, or what the result was.

But this season has been completely different. I think it's to do with the fact that we're fighting for our lives and each game actually means something rather than being mid table and the result not really affecting us.

And even though we're bottom I can't wait for the next game. For me it feels like the 14/15 season when we finished in the playoffs.
[Post edited 20 Feb 2019 11:53]

TWTD Supervillain
Poll: Is Lambert the right man for the job?

The apathy for watching Town seems to be coming to an end on 11:54 - Feb 20 with 2919 viewsKieran_Knows

The apathy for watching Town seems to be coming to an end on 23:19 - Feb 19 by britbiker

I have been trying to work out why i am not as upset about it as I should be.

I'm enjoying it more now than i have for a long while.

Are we great on the pitch. No.

Is it gallows humour. maybe.

Is it that maybe my expectations have been lowered over the last decade?

I think the fans have made a massive difference. Section six I think would carry on having a good time even if we were losing six nil.

My only concern for next year is that we sell some of the youngsters rather than building a longer term future.
[Post edited 19 Feb 2019 23:35]

'My only concern for next year is that we sell some of the youngsters rather than building a longer term future.'

I don't really understand this line? What youngsters will be sold? I can only really see Dozzell leaving, if I'm honest. Lankester has just signed a new long term deal (okay, that doesn't mean much, but still protects us for a big fee), Woolfenden new deal and can see him becoming a regular here next season. Nydam hasn't exactly done much this season and the only other one at the moment is Downes, but I can see him sticking around as he's getting plenty of game time under PL. Unfortunately Morris and Folami are long term injured so won't be going anywhere either.

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

The apathy for watching Town seems to be coming to an end on 12:39 - Feb 20 with 2827 viewsTownly

I wouldn't call out drop in gates as "apathy as such.

There are far more distractions on a saturday afternoon (and a tuesday evening) than ever before. There is also streaming, illegal or otherwise to contend with also.

People just make preferences as to how they spend their time. Money/cost is also a factor.

We collected under 16, 000 for our last (Saturday) home game including visitors.

In a league where gate receipts( and other sales)are vital we will need to join that group of clubs in our division who regularly get in excess of 20, 000 fans each game come what may.

We no longer seem capable of this. Times change.

A complete turnaround on the pitch will achieve this, but the trend has been the opposite to this.

Blame Evans, parachutes, the PL or even Paul Hurst, it will only be bums on seats that will provide momentum for a reverse of fortunes.
[Post edited 20 Feb 2019 12:40]
The apathy for watching Town seems to be coming to an end on 13:49 - Feb 20 with 2729 viewsWhymarkmariner

Perhaps he should change his name to Mick McApathy.
The apathy for watching Town seems to be coming to an end on 14:15 - Feb 20 with 2681 viewsgood_at_COD

The fans are “coming back in their droves” are they? Must have missed that.
[Post edited 20 Feb 2019 14:15]

Giggsy

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024