Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
My timeline is full of posts about Shamina Begum 09:51 - Feb 20 with 10074 viewsBluefish

And I find it very strange. Why have so many people become so overexcited about it all? Why is it taking up so much news time? In the general scheme of things it isn't really that important.

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

My timeline is full of posts about Shamina Begum on 09:54 - Feb 20 with 2939 views26_Paz

I'm just pleased that the Home Secretary has shown some balls and done the right / common sense thing.

The Paz Man

My timeline is full of posts about Shamina Begum on 09:56 - Feb 20 with 2928 viewsBluefish

My timeline is full of posts about Shamina Begum on 09:54 - Feb 20 by 26_Paz

I'm just pleased that the Home Secretary has shown some balls and done the right / common sense thing.

He hasn't, he has bowed to public hysteria

The strange thing is seeing what I thought were normal rational people getting swept up in it like they are part of the the brainwashed by yaxley-lennon brigade

My timeline is full of posts about Shamina Begum on 09:57 - Feb 20 with 2927 viewschicoazul

My timeline is full of posts about Shamina Begum on 09:54 - Feb 20 by 26_Paz

I believe the right thing to do would have been to bring her back her to answer for her crimes if indeed she is alleged to have committed any.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

My timeline is full of posts about Shamina Begum on 09:57 - Feb 20 with 2915 viewsReuser_is_God

Because she’s ISIS scum & should be treated with disdain?

Evans out
Poll: Are Burgers the new Cheese?

My timeline is full of posts about Shamina Begum on 09:57 - Feb 20 with 2914 viewschicoazul

My timeline is full of posts about Shamina Begum on 09:56 - Feb 20 by Bluefish

He hasn't, he has bowed to public hysteria

The strange thing is seeing what I thought were normal rational people getting swept up in it like they are part of the the brainwashed by yaxley-lennon brigade

Occasional reminder that I predicted a while back that he will be in the HoC in 3 elections time and PM in 5.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!

My timeline is full of posts about Shamina Begum on 09:59 - Feb 20 with 2900 viewsLeagueOne

A bit like posting about others posting about it - on a football forum.

It's time to make the best of it.
Poll: Would you leave TWTD if political threads were banned?

My timeline is full of posts about Shamina Begum on 10:00 - Feb 20 with 2892 viewsGuthrum

My timeline is full of posts about Shamina Begum on 09:57 - Feb 20 by chicoazul

I believe the right thing to do would have been to bring her back her to answer for her crimes if indeed she is alleged to have committed any.

I'm with you on this. Bring her back to the UK, detain, investigate and, if necessary, prosecute.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

My timeline is full of posts about Shamina Begum on 10:01 - Feb 20 with 2877 viewsKieran_Knows

My timeline is full of posts about Shamina Begum on 09:57 - Feb 20 by chicoazul

I really don't have any interest in this what so ever, but just simply asking, would it be stupid to suggest she should've lost her UK citizenship the moment she left these shores to join ISIS?

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

Login to get fewer ads

My timeline is full of posts about Shamina Begum on 10:01 - Feb 20 with 2878 viewschicoazul

My timeline is full of posts about Shamina Begum on 10:00 - Feb 20 by Guthrum

I'm with you on this. Bring her back to the UK, detain, investigate and, if necessary, prosecute.

People should always remember, if it can be done to someone else, it can be done to you and yours too.

My timeline is full of posts about Shamina Begum on 10:03 - Feb 20 with 2868 viewschicoazul

My timeline is full of posts about Shamina Begum on 10:01 - Feb 20 by Kieran_Knows

I really don't have any interest in this what so ever, but just simply asking, would it be stupid to suggest she should've lost her UK citizenship the moment she left these shores to join ISIS?

Not stupid at all, no. It's a fair and interesting point. But it needs to be considered in the light that she was 15 when she did that.

My timeline is full of posts about Shamina Begum on 10:04 - Feb 20 with 2864 viewsuefacup81

My timeline is full of posts about Shamina Begum on 10:00 - Feb 20 by Guthrum

Exactly this. Otherwise we're dangerously close to punishing her for some sort of thought crime.

Poll: Predictions for tonight?

My timeline is full of posts about Shamina Begum on 10:04 - Feb 20 with 2862 viewsBluefish

My timeline is full of posts about Shamina Begum on 09:57 - Feb 20 by Reuser_is_God

Because she’s ISIS scum & should be treated with disdain?

There are a few issues with that though. She is British and this is her country as much as it is yours. She was also a child when she left and therefore not deemed fully responsible for her actions of being swept up in ideology. If a 15 year girl got swept up in the edl and went on to join or emulate the likes of the Jo Cox killer would we remove her citizenship? What would you say to other countries removing citizenship and leaving the UK to sort out their people? It really is hysteria, put her on trial and if she has committed a crime put her in jail. It has happened to others such as the woman from Burton and it didn't have the same hysteria

My timeline is full of posts about Shamina Begum on 10:05 - Feb 20 with 2852 viewsfooters

Today's edition of Private Eye speculates whether she'll be the next star of I'm a Celeb, Strictly, HIGNFY or Love Island.

Sadly that may not be far from the truth if the telly execs had their way.

footers KC - Prosecution Barrister - Friend to all
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

My timeline is full of posts about Shamina Begum on 10:05 - Feb 20 with 2849 views26_Paz

My timeline is full of posts about Shamina Begum on 10:01 - Feb 20 by chicoazul

People should always remember, if it can be done to someone else, it can be done to you and yours too.

Exactly. It could easily have been your family her mates blew up in Manchester. If there's a chance to prevent anyone who believes in the ISIS ideology from living here then I for one am glad we've taken it.

The Paz Man

My timeline is full of posts about Shamina Begum on 10:08 - Feb 20 with 2838 viewsBluefish

My timeline is full of posts about Shamina Begum on 10:05 - Feb 20 by 26_Paz

Exactly. It could easily have been your family her mates blew up in Manchester. If there's a chance to prevent anyone who believes in the ISIS ideology from living here then I for one am glad we've taken it.

It could have been me when your mate stabbed Jo Cox, should we put you in jail or remove your citizenship? You can choose which one you'd prefer
[Post edited 20 Feb 2019 10:11]

My timeline is full of posts about Shamina Begum on 10:10 - Feb 20 with 2832 viewschicoazul

My timeline is full of posts about Shamina Begum on 10:05 - Feb 20 by 26_Paz

People are allowed to *believe* what they want. You're allowed to *believe* fox hunting is not cruel and inhumane for instance. When people express or take action based on those beliefs & crimes result then they should be subject to the full force of the law.
[Post edited 20 Feb 2019 10:10]

My timeline is full of posts about Shamina Begum on 10:13 - Feb 20 with 2818 viewsWD19

In a parralel universe this story would all be about how a not-very-bright young English girl was groomed and then abused.

In that parralel universe she may or may not have been a different colour.

Agree though, the amount of air time it is taking up is ridiculous. It’s almost as though ‘they’ want the population distracted with this kind of stuff.

Your sincerely,
CIL
My timeline is full of posts about Shamina Begum on 10:13 - Feb 20 with 2813 viewsGuthrum

My timeline is full of posts about Shamina Begum on 10:04 - Feb 20 by uefacup81

Exactly this. Otherwise we're dangerously close to punishing her for some sort of thought crime.

Altho membership of, or active support for, a proscribed organisation is in itself an offence, under the Terrorism Act 2000 - with some pretty hefty prison sentences possible. Islamic State and various associated organisations are on the proscribed list.

My timeline is full of posts about Shamina Begum on 10:14 - Feb 20 with 2812 viewsWeWereZombies

My timeline is full of posts about Shamina Begum on 10:04 - Feb 20 by Bluefish

There are a few issues with that though. She is British and this is her country as much as it is yours. She was also a child when she left and therefore not deemed fully responsible for her actions of being swept up in ideology. If a 15 year girl got swept up in the edl and went on to join or emulate the likes of the Jo Cox killer would we remove her citizenship? What would you say to other countries removing citizenship and leaving the UK to sort out their people? It really is hysteria, put her on trial and if she has committed a crime put her in jail. It has happened to others such as the woman from Burton and it didn't have the same hysteria

There again, Thomas Mair was born in KIlmarnock and Jo Cox in Batley and the murder happened in England - so where would you send him if you stripped him of British citizenship?

But there must be some sympathy for a girl who made a fatal mistake at only fifteen years of age, not that she fully admits it. A public trial, if reported fairly, would surely serve to warn off other potential ISIS, or whatever group succeed it, recruits more than summary justice from the Home Secretary.

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

My timeline is full of posts about Shamina Begum on 10:19 - Feb 20 with 2776 viewsGuthrum

My timeline is full of posts about Shamina Begum on 10:13 - Feb 20 by WD19

In a parralel universe this story would all be about how a not-very-bright young English girl was groomed and then abused.

In that parralel universe she may or may not have been a different colour.

Agree though, the amount of air time it is taking up is ridiculous. It’s almost as though ‘they’ want the population distracted with this kind of stuff.

Your sincerely,
CIL

There is that aspect to it, which is why our very nuanced judicial system is the best place to handle a situation like this.

(No subject) (n/t) on 10:22 - Feb 20 with 2760 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

The dog whistle has worked.....welcome to Trump politics.
[Post edited 20 Feb 2019 10:28]

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

My timeline is full of posts about Shamina Begum on 10:24 - Feb 20 with 2757 viewsdryas

Nice opportunity for the Tories to have the press focus on something other than their Brexit and it's a chance for them to look tough.
My timeline is full of posts about Shamina Begum on 10:25 - Feb 20 with 2744 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

My timeline is full of posts about Shamina Begum on 10:05 - Feb 20 by footers

Today's edition of Private Eye speculates whether she'll be the next star of I'm a Celeb, Strictly, HIGNFY or Love Island.

Sadly that may not be far from the truth if the telly execs had their way.

"The Society of the Spectacle. "

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

My timeline is full of posts about Shamina Begum on 10:27 - Feb 20 with 2734 viewsSwansea_Blue

I've just gone through this thread giving every post by Chico an uppie. That must be a first!

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

My timeline is full of posts about Shamina Begum on 10:28 - Feb 20 with 2725 viewsGuthrum

My timeline is full of posts about Shamina Begum on 10:01 - Feb 20 by Kieran_Knows

Technically, that would be rather dubious.

Given that the Islamic State was not recognised as a sovereign nation (by anybody) and she was not applying for Syrian or Iraqi citizenship (not that those countries were recognised by IS anyway), that would be effectively making the girl stateless. Doing that is very much frowned upon under international law - and not permitted under virtually all circumstances in UK law (naturalised citizens can have that withdrawn).

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024