Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Parents:do you make your kids chip in with savings for something 08:55 - Feb 21 with 3157 viewsgiant_stow

They're desperate to get and have been desperate for for a long time? No idea what's right/wrong - he's only just started wanting stuff (an arsenal coat)

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

Parents:do you make your kids chip in with savings for something on 08:57 - Feb 21 with 2322 viewsuefacup81

I would. It instills good habits, and encourages an attitude of saving for things, rather than getting stuff on tick.

Poll: Predictions for tonight?

Parents:do you make your kids chip in with savings for something on 08:59 - Feb 21 with 2308 viewsgiant_stow

Parents:do you make your kids chip in with savings for something on 08:57 - Feb 21 by uefacup81

I would. It instills good habits, and encourages an attitude of saving for things, rather than getting stuff on tick.

That's what I'm thinking, but don't know if it seems harsh. But then again, it's a big thing to just buy him. Then again then again (!) hes desperate for it

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

Parents:do you make your kids chip in with savings for something on 09:03 - Feb 21 with 2289 viewsSteve_M

Parents:do you make your kids chip in with savings for something on 08:59 - Feb 21 by giant_stow

That's what I'm thinking, but don't know if it seems harsh. But then again, it's a big thing to just buy him. Then again then again (!) hes desperate for it

All the more reason for you to teach him that things have costs, just buying it sets a precedent that you really don't want.

How old is he anyway? Presumably he'll outgrow it in a year or so anyway.

At least it's not anything yellow.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Parents:do you make your kids chip in with savings for something on 09:07 - Feb 21 with 2275 viewsgiant_stow

Parents:do you make your kids chip in with savings for something on 09:03 - Feb 21 by Steve_M

All the more reason for you to teach him that things have costs, just buying it sets a precedent that you really don't want.

How old is he anyway? Presumably he'll outgrow it in a year or so anyway.

At least it's not anything yellow.

Cheers Steve, my resolve is hardening (so impressionable)! He's 5 and going to the big game tonight (bate - all we could get tickets for) so busting for all things arsenal.

He has the Norwich away kit thanks to his uncle, but doesn't show much interest in it tbh.
[Post edited 21 Feb 2019 9:08]

Parents:do you make your kids chip in with savings for something on 09:08 - Feb 21 with 2272 viewsColin_Viljoen

Try to teach him the correct values.........buy him an Ipswich coat!
Parents:do you make your kids chip in with savings for something on 09:09 - Feb 21 with 2261 viewsgiant_stow

Parents:do you make your kids chip in with savings for something on 09:08 - Feb 21 by Colin_Viljoen

Try to teach him the correct values.........buy him an Ipswich coat!

Hes old enough to wind me up about supporting Ipswich, the little toad!

Parents:do you make your kids chip in with savings for something on 09:11 - Feb 21 with 2256 viewsGlasgowBlue

Depends on the circumstances. My girls are going to the States this year with the school so we said fine but you pay for half by getting a part time job. I think it gives the a sense of value and perhaps appreciate that we, as parents have to work to buy the things we want.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Parents:do you make your kids chip in with savings for something on 09:14 - Feb 21 with 2239 viewsgiant_stow

Parents:do you make your kids chip in with savings for something on 09:11 - Feb 21 by GlasgowBlue

Depends on the circumstances. My girls are going to the States this year with the school so we said fine but you pay for half by getting a part time job. I think it gives the a sense of value and perhaps appreciate that we, as parents have to work to buy the things we want.

I bet they enjoy the trip a touch more, having earned it.

Cheers all.

Login to get fewer ads

Parents:do you make your kids chip in with savings for something on 09:16 - Feb 21 with 2234 viewsStochesStotasBlewe

Parents:do you make your kids chip in with savings for something on 09:11 - Feb 21 by GlasgowBlue

While i agree with your sentiments entirely, I,m sure sending a 5 year old up Norfolks chimneys might arouse the suspicions of social services

We have no village green, or a shop. It's very, very quiet. I can walk to the pub.

Parents:do you make your kids chip in with savings for something on 09:17 - Feb 21 with 2231 viewsWD19

Yes, its the right thing to do. I have wanted a new car for ages......and they will benefit from it.....so its only right their birthday and Christmas money goes towards it.
Parents:do you make your kids chip in with savings for something on 09:19 - Feb 21 with 2218 viewsDanTheMan

I had to pay for anything I wanted with my own money.

I don't think saving for an expensive item should be too much at all.

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

Parents:do you make your kids chip in with savings for something on 09:20 - Feb 21 with 2216 viewspickles110564

No, I would buy it for them.
Parents:do you make your kids chip in with savings for something on 09:23 - Feb 21 with 2206 viewsChampionship

Parents:do you make your kids chip in with savings for something on 09:07 - Feb 21 by giant_stow

Cheers Steve, my resolve is hardening (so impressionable)! He's 5 and going to the big game tonight (bate - all we could get tickets for) so busting for all things arsenal.

He has the Norwich away kit thanks to his uncle, but doesn't show much interest in it tbh.
[Post edited 21 Feb 2019 9:08]

Maybe he just wants something to show his allegiance to Arsenal? Could you explain about the coat but then as a softener offer to buy him something cheap like a scarf? It would show he's an Arsenal fan while the big item remains on the shelf. Could he be desperate for a coat because that is all he has seen? Maybe something else that does the same job (projecting I support the FA Cup Runners Up 1978) would appeal to him.

I can see why he wants something to show his allegiance if he's going to a game.
Parents:do you make your kids chip in with savings for something on 09:24 - Feb 21 with 2201 viewsfooters

Make him save a little bit and then teach him the value of snides. Sure there are a few places down Nag's Head market.

footers QC - Prosecution Barrister, Hasketon Law Chambers
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Parents:do you make your kids chip in with savings for something on 09:45 - Feb 21 with 2156 viewsgiant_stow

Parents:do you make your kids chip in with savings for something on 09:24 - Feb 21 by footers

Make him save a little bit and then teach him the value of snides. Sure there are a few places down Nag's Head market.

ha! I have half on eye on the little stalls around the stadium and haven't let him look at the arsenal shop site, just in case!

Thanks again all. We've settled on going halves.

Parents:do you make your kids chip in with savings for something on 09:51 - Feb 21 with 2146 viewslinhdi

I'd call in social services if my kid wanted an Ars coat.
Parents:do you make your kids chip in with savings for something on 09:51 - Feb 21 with 2146 viewsfactual_blue

Parents:do you make your kids chip in with savings for something on 09:09 - Feb 21 by giant_stow

Hes old enough to wind me up about supporting Ipswich, the little toad!

Has he researched numbers of England caps won by Ipswich players versus number of caps won by norwich players?

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Parents:do you make your kids chip in with savings for something on 09:59 - Feb 21 with 2139 viewsgiant_stow

Parents:do you make your kids chip in with savings for something on 09:51 - Feb 21 by linhdi

You're the board's spurs-soft-spot bod innit?! Boo!

I keep waiting for tottenham to implode, but fair play - not yet...

Parents:do you make your kids chip in with savings for something on 10:00 - Feb 21 with 2138 viewsgiant_stow

Parents:do you make your kids chip in with savings for something on 09:51 - Feb 21 by factual_blue

Has he researched numbers of England caps won by Ipswich players versus number of caps won by norwich players?

not yet (shudder)

Parents:do you make your kids chip in with savings for something on 10:03 - Feb 21 with 2132 viewsfactual_blue

Parents:do you make your kids chip in with savings for something on 10:00 - Feb 21 by giant_stow

not yet (shudder)

I'll e-mail him the details if you like.

(It's currently 156-11 by the way in Town's favour)

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Parents:do you make your kids chip in with savings for something on 10:16 - Feb 21 with 2108 viewschicoazul

I am conflicted on this having been in similar situations in the past. It's important that kids learn about money but I dont think its important that they learn about it at 5. I would either say yes and buy the coat, or no. Dont tell him no because we cant afford it or whatever as that can in turn make the little man worry about money, just say no.

Kids have enough on their plate without either worrying about money or worrying about earning money to buy stuff when they are only 5. I have always find they respond best to binary answers of yes or no, you dont have to explain yourself to a 5yo.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Parents:do you make your kids chip in with savings for something on 10:19 - Feb 21 with 2096 viewsBasuco

Yes, they will grow up appreciating their property much more, if you just buy the coat he/she will expect the 2020 version next season and so on, I used to pay a portion not all. Kids can very quickly get that spoilt "I want" attitude which is not great. Also I seem to remember you live in London so getting kids to follow your team rather than their local team will always be a painful challenge.
Parents:do you make your kids chip in with savings for something on 10:27 - Feb 21 with 2074 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Did you pull any strings to get them a decently paid job?........I literally typed that and then saw what I had done, what is it with me and strings! I concur with your sentiments.

Ulla what do you want your boy to grow up to be a man or an entitled snowflake......get a grip man.

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

Parents:do you make your kids chip in with savings for something on 10:32 - Feb 21 with 2066 viewsSonOfSpock

We always make sure all the Spocklets contribute something from their Christmas and Birthday money. Just helps them appreciate the value of money and budgeting - especially if they have to make a choice between multiple "must have" purchases.
Parents:do you make your kids chip in with savings for something on 10:58 - Feb 21 with 2028 viewsslump

Parents:do you make your kids chip in with savings for something on 09:51 - Feb 21 by linhdi

What about a Spurs one?

UTT

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024