Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Bentwaters Cold War Museum 11:25 - Feb 22 with 6589 viewsCoastalblue

I only just found out there's a museum there, anybody been? Is it worth a trip from London if combined with something else?

I have a passing interest as someone in their 50's is bound to have but not really a cold war buff, though I think anybody who grew up in that time is affected by it.

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.
Poll: If someone promised you promotion next season, would you think

Bentwaters Cold War Museum on 11:37 - Feb 22 with 5080 viewsLord_Lucan

I have rented units there since 2003 and could have shown you around the whole base but I moved out last year, it's a shame as I could have given you a tour of all the base.

At one point (when I was a wealthy man) I had all the bomb stores, the below picture is just a part of it.

During all the time there I never visited the museum so I can't comment but I would think coming from London to see that alone is maybe a bit extreme. If it helps I can give you the number of the lady who runs it.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Bentwaters Cold War Museum on 11:41 - Feb 22 with 5064 viewsCoastalblue

Bentwaters Cold War Museum on 11:37 - Feb 22 by Lord_Lucan

I have rented units there since 2003 and could have shown you around the whole base but I moved out last year, it's a shame as I could have given you a tour of all the base.

At one point (when I was a wealthy man) I had all the bomb stores, the below picture is just a part of it.

During all the time there I never visited the museum so I can't comment but I would think coming from London to see that alone is maybe a bit extreme. If it helps I can give you the number of the lady who runs it.

Thanks for that, shame you've moved out, a tour in return for a couple of pints would have been good. I did think I remembered you were based there or close by.

I'd probably combine with something else I expect, particularly if it's warmer weather I could probably convince her to go by promising Southwold or similar after.

Wasn't expecting more than maybe a couple of hours worth there but just thought I'd ask in case it was otherwise.

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.

Bentwaters Cold War Museum on 11:50 - Feb 22 with 5047 viewsLord_Lucan

Bentwaters Cold War Museum on 11:41 - Feb 22 by Coastalblue

Thanks for that, shame you've moved out, a tour in return for a couple of pints would have been good. I did think I remembered you were based there or close by.

I'd probably combine with something else I expect, particularly if it's warmer weather I could probably convince her to go by promising Southwold or similar after.

Wasn't expecting more than maybe a couple of hours worth there but just thought I'd ask in case it was otherwise.

You could always go on the p1ss in Woodbridge or even have an Adnams tour in Southwold, I went last year and it was good.

I think it would be worth going if you combined it with something else, I think they hold it every other Sunday.

Let me know when you go, if I am free I'll pop along and drive you round the whole site - although I won't have access to the bomb stores however you can see it all from where we can drive.

They do a lot of filming there, Dog Borstal was filmed next to our compound and we often saw Brian Blessed and the like there. One year the whole site was taken over by Channel 4 as they were filming a thing where a load of people were hoodwinked that they were in Russia and flying to the moon, all the English signs were replaced with Russian signs, we had to get permission from C4 to enter our stores!

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.

Bentwaters Cold War Museum on 11:53 - Feb 22 with 5039 viewsTexaco73

There is surprisingly quite a lot of stuff there. Only opens on bank hols and last weekend of month I think.

There is a former serviceman (Jeff) that does a good talk about his time on the base, the logistics and cold war strategy for deployment. The numbers game of A10's Vs Soviet armour e.t.c.

Certainly worth a visit for a couple of hours.
Bentwaters Cold War Museum on 11:56 - Feb 22 with 5030 viewsitfcjoe

Bentwaters Cold War Museum on 11:41 - Feb 22 by Coastalblue

If you've never done Orford Ness, that is quite interesting and a decent walk around - plus a few nice places for beer and food afterwards in the vicinity

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Bentwaters Cold War Museum on 11:59 - Feb 22 with 5015 viewsCoastalblue

Bentwaters Cold War Museum on 11:56 - Feb 22 by itfcjoe

If you've never done Orford Ness, that is quite interesting and a decent walk around - plus a few nice places for beer and food afterwards in the vicinity

Actually we're staying in an Airbnb in Orford in May, my birthday present so that is probably the ideal time to go if it's open then.
I've never been there despite knowing Suffolk reasonably well, a North Essex boy who covered Suffolk as a sales rep for years.

Bentwaters Cold War Museum on 12:04 - Feb 22 with 4999 viewsitfcjoe

Bentwaters Cold War Museum on 11:59 - Feb 22 by Coastalblue

Actually we're staying in an Airbnb in Orford in May, my birthday present so that is probably the ideal time to go if it's open then.
I've never been there despite knowing Suffolk reasonably well, a North Essex boy who covered Suffolk as a sales rep for years.

It's nothing that will blow you away - but boat over there and a decent walking trail - see the lighthouse - find out about radar testing etc. Good fun and a nice walk

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Bentwaters Cold War Museum on 12:10 - Feb 22 with 4980 viewsBullardsMagicMullet

Have they ever admitted the base had Nuclear weapons stored away and ready to be used during the cold war?

I understand lots of secret projects were also tested in the general area during the same time period.

Flounce when ITFC lose, flounce about brexit and flounce about Trump.
Poll: What ITFC Podcast do you prefer?

Login to get fewer ads

Bentwaters Cold War Museum on 14:24 - Feb 22 with 4882 viewsBLUEBEAT

Remember when a Yogic Flying cult wanted to buy Bentwaters?

What on earth would they want with fortified installations, impenetrable fences and bomb-proof bunkers?

We could have had our very own Waco!

Poll: W or W

Bentwaters Cold War Museum on 15:38 - Feb 22 with 4821 viewsBluespeed225

An old schoolmate of mate of mine is ‘archeology officer’. They did up USAF stuff from all over. They picked up a lot of stuff from other decommissioned US bases. It’s an interesting little place, brings home how close we were as a target during the Cold War. A few of them have bought old jets which are on show. I did the tea stall at their first open day a few years back, got overan as they didn’t predict the numbers! They even got Caroline Grace to fly her Spitfire over enroute from somewhere else. I think, she keeps it there? However, the owners of the actual base saw the potential and put on their own show the following year. They do a lot of filming in The Hush House, the old engine testing area. I appeared in a mates music video out there!
Bentwaters Cold War Museum on 15:43 - Feb 22 with 4812 viewsLord_Lucan

Bentwaters Cold War Museum on 15:38 - Feb 22 by Bluespeed225

An old schoolmate of mate of mine is ‘archeology officer’. They did up USAF stuff from all over. They picked up a lot of stuff from other decommissioned US bases. It’s an interesting little place, brings home how close we were as a target during the Cold War. A few of them have bought old jets which are on show. I did the tea stall at their first open day a few years back, got overan as they didn’t predict the numbers! They even got Caroline Grace to fly her Spitfire over enroute from somewhere else. I think, she keeps it there? However, the owners of the actual base saw the potential and put on their own show the following year. They do a lot of filming in The Hush House, the old engine testing area. I appeared in a mates music video out there!

She has had to move the Spitfire and fly it elsewhere because the long weekend London holiday types moaned about it .

She used to fly it over my office.

Bentwaters Cold War Museum on 15:44 - Feb 22 with 4805 viewsBLUEBEAT

It’s a cool looking space, that tunnel room.

My brother is into that metal detecting lark and the amount of live ammo they dig up around airbases is quite shocking, frankly. Standard ammo and blue-tipped high velocity rounds.

Bentwaters Cold War Museum on 15:45 - Feb 22 with 4801 viewsjontysnut

there's also Bawdsey Radar Museum nearby if you like that kind if thing. Odd opening hours if I remember.

As a kid we used to go to open days at Bentwaters - loved it; first time I ever had salty popcorn! Phantoms screaming along great stuff.
Bentwaters Cold War Museum on 15:53 - Feb 22 with 4782 viewsEdwardStone

Bentwaters Cold War Museum on 11:50 - Feb 22 by Lord_Lucan

You could always go on the p1ss in Woodbridge or even have an Adnams tour in Southwold, I went last year and it was good.

I think it would be worth going if you combined it with something else, I think they hold it every other Sunday.

Let me know when you go, if I am free I'll pop along and drive you round the whole site - although I won't have access to the bomb stores however you can see it all from where we can drive.

They do a lot of filming there, Dog Borstal was filmed next to our compound and we often saw Brian Blessed and the like there. One year the whole site was taken over by Channel 4 as they were filming a thing where a load of people were hoodwinked that they were in Russia and flying to the moon, all the English signs were replaced with Russian signs, we had to get permission from C4 to enter our stores!

Crikey...I remember that tv show. It was called "Space Cadets", fronted by Johnny Vaughn

It was bloody funny, as it preyed on the gullibility and suggestibility of a bunch of "hard of thinking" randoms

Shame there isn't anything similar about at the moment

*Cough Brexit Cough*
Bentwaters Cold War Museum on 16:03 - Feb 22 with 4759 viewsBLUEBEAT

Bentwaters Cold War Museum on 15:45 - Feb 22 by jontysnut

there's also Bawdsey Radar Museum nearby if you like that kind if thing. Odd opening hours if I remember.

As a kid we used to go to open days at Bentwaters - loved it; first time I ever had salty popcorn! Phantoms screaming along great stuff.

Debach Airfield too but I think that’s only open on Sundays.

Bentwaters Cold War Museum on 16:56 - Feb 22 with 4720 viewsGeoffSentence

A mate of mine got called up in front of the base commander at Bentwaters for driving a dumper truck across the runway when an A10 Tankbuster was about to take off.

I doubt that particular incident is remembered in the museum though.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Bentwaters Cold War Museum on 17:03 - Feb 22 with 4710 viewsLord_Lucan

Bentwaters Cold War Museum on 15:53 - Feb 22 by EdwardStone

Crikey...I remember that tv show. It was called "Space Cadets", fronted by Johnny Vaughn

It was bloody funny, as it preyed on the gullibility and suggestibility of a bunch of "hard of thinking" randoms

Shame there isn't anything similar about at the moment

*Cough Brexit Cough*

From memory it was a big flop - I think it was on TV every night.

It really b*ggered us up actually, they must have paid a lot of money as all the firms on the base were rather annoyed.

There were plans to turn the base into a sizeable regional airport (London Ipswich) but I think Snape Maltings or something equally unimpressive fought long and hard against it.

Bentwaters Cold War Museum on 17:16 - Feb 22 with 4693 viewschicoazul

Didnt Star Wars film there..?

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Bentwaters Cold War Museum on 17:19 - Feb 22 with 4688 viewsGeoffSentence

Bentwaters Cold War Museum on 17:16 - Feb 22 by chicoazul

Didnt Star Wars film there..?

Dunno about Star Wars but 'The Numbers Station' was filmed there.

Complete with night time views of the Orwell Bridge in the opening and closing credits.

Bentwaters Cold War Museum on 17:30 - Feb 22 with 4675 viewsLord_Lucan

Bentwaters Cold War Museum on 17:19 - Feb 22 by GeoffSentence

Dunno about Star Wars but 'The Numbers Station' was filmed there.

Complete with night time views of the Orwell Bridge in the opening and closing credits.

Britain's worst celebrity drivers was filmed there, actually around 2015 they filmed part of a big blockbuster type film there but I can't remember what it was.

There was / is a lot of stuff going on there.

Bentwaters Cold War Museum on 17:38 - Feb 22 with 4667 viewsGeoffSentence

Bentwaters Cold War Museum on 17:30 - Feb 22 by Lord_Lucan

Britain's worst celebrity drivers was filmed there, actually around 2015 they filmed part of a big blockbuster type film there but I can't remember what it was.

This was released 2013

Unfortunately, it was a bit sh1t.

Bentwaters Cold War Museum on 17:44 - Feb 22 with 4658 viewsBLUEBEAT

Site being sold off to be turned into a full film studio, I believe.

That’s the reason given for not allowing the Trip Out festival to go back, anyway.

Bentwaters Cold War Museum on 17:55 - Feb 22 with 4643 viewsLord_Lucan

Bentwaters Cold War Museum on 17:44 - Feb 22 by BLUEBEAT

Site being sold off to be turned into a full film studio, I believe.

That’s the reason given for not allowing the Trip Out festival to go back, anyway.

I can't see that happening tbh, too many tenants with leases, friend of mine has just had his renewed. They make a lot of money on commercial renting and the family is loaded and basically own everything around there you can see. I can never see them selling it.

Bentwaters Cold War Museum on 18:17 - Feb 22 with 4619 viewsCoastalblue

I think one of the Top Gear alternatives was filmed there for a while too. Fifth Gear maybe?

Bentwaters Cold War Museum on 19:12 - Feb 22 with 4554 viewsBLUEBEAT

Bentwaters Cold War Museum on 17:55 - Feb 22 by Lord_Lucan

I can't see that happening tbh, too many tenants with leases, friend of mine has just had his renewed. They make a lot of money on commercial renting and the family is loaded and basically own everything around there you can see. I can never see them selling it.

Just 12 of 939 acres according to this 😄

https://www.ipswichstar.co.uk/news/film-studio-plans-revealed-for-former-bentwat

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024