Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Adam Webster update 19:36 - Feb 22 with 3143 viewsunstableblue

Spoke to Bristol City fan mate (mates mates mates)

Initial concern after a few games of poor defending and looking miles off the quality of Flint he was replacing. Culpable for a number of goals.

But is now in a state of awe. Passing, defending, vision. Sometimes moves into almost a holding midfielder role. Better at beating players than their forwards.

Feels that he is under the radar currently but will inevitably be bought and play in the premier league.

Good on him; needed get out of the static and hopeless system and style we’ve endured as Town fans.

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

Adam Webster update on 19:44 - Feb 22 with 3051 viewsPecker

Yeh, we had one of their fans on here banging on about how we sold him on the cheap.
Adam Webster update on 19:46 - Feb 22 with 3052 viewsfooters

MM spotted one heck of a player, but a classy ball-playing CB would be as much use to him with his style and system as tits on a fish.

Though tbf to him, he probably helped the defensive side of his game. Wonder how Clarke is getting on- decent homegrown prospect.

footers QC - Prosecution Barrister, Hasketon Law Chambers
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Adam Webster update on 19:49 - Feb 22 with 3018 viewsunstableblue

Adam Webster update on 19:46 - Feb 22 by footers

MM spotted one heck of a player, but a classy ball-playing CB would be as much use to him with his style and system as tits on a fish.

Though tbf to him, he probably helped the defensive side of his game. Wonder how Clarke is getting on- decent homegrown prospect.

Sad but true

Adam Webster update on 20:09 - Feb 22 with 2919 viewsNthsuffolkblue

I may be wring, but I actually think that had the likes of Adeyemi, Huws and Bishop got and stayed fit consistently under MM, he would have played a very different game. I think he (along with several managers before him) tried in vain to find successful wide players of far more attacking quality than Sears.

Whatever the case, this is all now in the past. One thing MM did do, was bring in good players, many of whom improved whilst here.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Adam Webster update on 20:23 - Feb 22 with 2838 viewsHerbivore

The main issue with Webster here was that he spent half his time injured and the other half getting up to match fitness after injury.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Adam Webster update on 20:30 - Feb 22 with 2796 viewsSteve_M

Although MM signed Webster because he was comfortable on the ball. Yes, we didn't always manage to make use of that but it was clearly something we looked to do more of.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Adam Webster update on 20:31 - Feb 22 with 2786 viewsfooters

Adam Webster update on 20:23 - Feb 22 by Herbivore

The main issue with Webster here was that he spent half his time injured and the other half getting up to match fitness after injury.

That's very true.

And also to respond to my correspondent above, I'm in no way some MM OUT kind of guy and do agree with your point. He tried and failed with many wingers here, but each turned into a comedy of errors for various reasons. It just so happened that circumstance halted any progression in style, which is why I do feel for him.

Still, Webster is now at a club where he can progress properly injury-free and hasn't had to endure a strange, demoralising season with us- all the best to him say I.

Edit: Reading back, my initial comment does seem harsh. What I meant more was that, despite trying to play more progressively eventually, Webster's full potential would be realised in a true play-it-from-the-back style, which MM was never really going to do, despite wanting to improve us stylistically.
[Post edited 22 Feb 2019 20:34]

Adam Webster update on 20:40 - Feb 22 with 2733 viewsBlueBadger

Yeah, he would have been wasted under Paul Hurst.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Login to get fewer ads

Adam Webster update on 20:43 - Feb 22 with 2719 viewsfooters

Adam Webster update on 20:40 - Feb 22 by BlueBadger

Yeah, he would have been wasted under Paul Hurst.

He's no Oshilaja, that's for sure.

Adam Webster update on 21:39 - Feb 22 with 2536 viewsGarv

Never saw the best of him in Mick's team for obvious reasons. Think he'd have also struggled under Hurst as everyone did.

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

Adam Webster update on 22:19 - Feb 22 with 2404 viewsm14_blue

Adam Webster update on 20:31 - Feb 22 by footers

That's very true.

And also to respond to my correspondent above, I'm in no way some MM OUT kind of guy and do agree with your point. He tried and failed with many wingers here, but each turned into a comedy of errors for various reasons. It just so happened that circumstance halted any progression in style, which is why I do feel for him.

Still, Webster is now at a club where he can progress properly injury-free and hasn't had to endure a strange, demoralising season with us- all the best to him say I.

Edit: Reading back, my initial comment does seem harsh. What I meant more was that, despite trying to play more progressively eventually, Webster's full potential would be realised in a true play-it-from-the-back style, which MM was never really going to do, despite wanting to improve us stylistically.
[Post edited 22 Feb 2019 20:34]

I don’t think it was overly harsh.

I loved (love) Mick but I don’t think anyone could claim that we passed it out from the back.
Adam Webster update on 01:12 - Feb 23 with 2098 viewsbournemouthblue

Adam Webster update on 19:44 - Feb 22 by Pecker

Yeh, we had one of their fans on here banging on about how we sold him on the cheap.

Which we did really

He has shown just how valuable he actually was to us, now he seemed unable to defend with him gone

Alcohol is the answer but I can't remember the question!
Poll: Rate this transfer window

Adam Webster update on 05:54 - Feb 23 with 2004 viewsKeaneish

Adam Webster update on 20:30 - Feb 22 by Steve_M

Although MM signed Webster because he was comfortable on the ball. Yes, we didn't always manage to make use of that but it was clearly something we looked to do more of.

He was also very prone stepping up to this level. Natural but that and his injuries he hardly shone or had time to shine. Definitely the bizzarest of transfers this summer and certainly one that raised the most eyebrows give our derth of centre backs and willingness to recruit the likes of Nsiala and Donacien.

Poll: Who would be your managerial preference between these two?
Blog: [Blog] £2.65 Million and Waiting?

Adam Webster update on 08:19 - Feb 23 with 1847 viewsPositivelyPortman

Adam Webster update on 20:23 - Feb 22 by Herbivore

When he did get in the side after various injuries, he was under instruction from the boss to hoof.
Most of the games that I saw in which he was involved, even his hoofing was poor.

Poll: Are we happy with the takeover?

Adam Webster update on 08:20 - Feb 23 with 1835 viewsHerbivore

Adam Webster update on 08:19 - Feb 23 by PositivelyPortman

When he did get in the side after various injuries, he was under instruction from the boss to hoof.
Most of the games that I saw in which he was involved, even his hoofing was poor.

Sure, sure.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Adam Webster update on 08:25 - Feb 23 with 1816 viewsPositivelyPortman

Adam Webster update on 08:20 - Feb 23 by Herbivore

Sure, sure.

Glad you agree. 🤡

Poll: Are we happy with the takeover?

Open your mind Herbivore on 08:44 - Feb 23 with 1771 viewsunstableblue

Adam Webster update on 08:20 - Feb 23 by Herbivore

Sure, sure.

Jesus

Webster played 28 times.

And as for continued refusal to just admit that Mick’s system of play was not optimal for a passing style and hence didn’t suit the likes of Webster... I give you our captain!:

–––––-Lambert’s football philosophy is high in energy and ‘front foot’ in nature, with the Ipswich Town central defenders asked to split wide, receive the ball from the goalkeeper and feed it into midfield.

Chambers believes Town’s more direct style of play under former boss Mick McCarthy means supporters have not seen his true ability in possession, with the skipper insisting he is comfortable with what he is being asked to do by his new boss.

“From day one he has made it clear how he wants us to play, to play out from the back more than we have done in the past — and with purpose,” Chambers wrote in his column for the matchday programme.

“He said to me when he first came in that he didn’t know what sort of player I was and whether I could play the way he is asking us to play but I have always adapted to every manager I have worked with — and I have always been decent wit the

“People haven’t seen that here maybe because of the way we have played over the last few years. It was more about knocking the ball longer because we weren’t set up to play out from the back.

“In the past when I had the ball, I didn’t have three or four option in front of me. I didn’t get the ball and automatically know where my team-mates were so if you do try and pass in that situation you can put your team-mates in it. That’s not me.

“The gaffer has come in and shown us how to play in a way we have not seen here before. He has given us the confidence to play.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024