Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Jon Nolan 20:28 - Feb 23 with 5308 viewsm14_blue

Superb today I thought.
Jon Nolan on 20:35 - Feb 23 with 5264 viewsbournemouthblue

is he slowly growing into a player who can take us forward?
[Post edited 23 Feb 2019 20:50]

Alcohol is the answer but I can't remember the question!
Poll: Rate this transfer window

Jon Nolan on 20:37 - Feb 23 with 5252 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Good to hear.

I honestly think that given time he may turn out to be player who can play at this level. The experience of the end of this season then bedding into the team ready for next season could see him be a key player for us in the future. Here's hoping anyway.

If only Edwards, Harrison, Jackson and Nsiala could do the same.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Jon Nolan on 20:43 - Feb 23 with 5231 viewstrncbluearmy

Obviously missed the several misplaced passes ,inability to tackle, but worst of all the header he missed, not even on target was a good chance early on when we were well on top.

Nowhere near championship standard but decent league three player.
Jon Nolan on 20:50 - Feb 23 with 5167 viewsbournemouthblue

Jon Nolan on 20:43 - Feb 23 by trncbluearmy

Obviously missed the several misplaced passes ,inability to tackle, but worst of all the header he missed, not even on target was a good chance early on when we were well on top.

We'll find out next season

Alcohol is the answer but I can't remember the question!
Poll: Rate this transfer window

Jon Nolan on 20:52 - Feb 23 with 5153 viewsNthsuffolkblue

That's a shame then.

Were Wigan absolutely shocking or did the other 8 outfield players play exceptionally well to carry Nolan with us down to 10 men?

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Jon Nolan on 20:57 - Feb 23 with 5127 viewsm14_blue

Ok then, agree to disagree. That seems an absurdly unbalanced and overly critical analysis to me.

Can’t see how a decent league 1 player would be nowhere near championship standard though?
Jon Nolan on 22:23 - Feb 23 with 4880 viewsurbanblue

Completely disagree. I keep reading posts about Nolan's inability to tackle but you surely can't be referring to the last 2 or 3 games where he has put in some good challenges and tackles.

Seriously, do some on here not actually watch the game in front of them. He played very well today.
Jon Nolan on 23:35 - Feb 23 with 4716 viewsBlueBadger

He's the new Lee Martin. He'll probably get a load of goals in March before vanishing utterly.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Login to get fewer ads

Jon Nolan on 23:43 - Feb 23 with 4681 viewsStNeotsBlue

Jon Nolan on 23:35 - Feb 23 by BlueBadger

He's the new Lee Martin. He'll probably get a load of goals in March before vanishing utterly.

Why so negative and churlish? He had a disappointing start to the season but in recent games he's starting to look like the player we all thought we'd signed.
Jon Nolan on 00:04 - Feb 24 with 4619 viewsPJH

I thought that Nolan was better than usual but nowhere near approaching "superb".
Jon Nolan on 00:58 - Feb 24 with 4526 viewsjpring89

Obviously your a .... but hey nevermind.

Poll: What irritates you more ?

Jon Nolan on 08:17 - Feb 24 with 4348 viewsgordon

Nowhere near superb! He was OK. Nothing special on the ball but usually tidy, put a few tackles in, didn't make any glaring errors.
Jon Nolan on 08:28 - Feb 24 with 4305 viewsm14_blue

Jon Nolan on 08:17 - Feb 24 by gordon

Nowhere near superb! He was OK. Nothing special on the ball but usually tidy, put a few tackles in, didn't make any glaring errors.

Fair enough, I thought he got through an immense amount of work and was easily our best player in possession, allowing us to actually keep the ball and relieve the pressure.

Be interesting to see if he keeps his place for the rest of the season.
Jon Nolan on 09:10 - Feb 24 with 4212 viewscobboldkid

Jon Nolan on 08:28 - Feb 24 by m14_blue

Fair enough, I thought he got through an immense amount of work and was easily our best player in possession, allowing us to actually keep the ball and relieve the pressure.

Always thought he had something about him. He makes himself available in midfield looks to pass the ball forward and has a goal in him. He's got great potential, Nolan, Bishop and Downes in midfield would suit me fine.
Jon Nolan on 09:11 - Feb 24 with 4209 viewsDurovigutum

Jon Nolan on 22:23 - Feb 23 by urbanblue

Completely disagree. I keep reading posts about Nolan's inability to tackle but you surely can't be referring to the last 2 or 3 games where he has put in some good challenges and tackles.

Seriously, do some on here not actually watch the game in front of them. He played very well today.

I refereed a game of football yesterday afternoon, every time I blew the whistle there seemed to be five different opinions as to what it should have been, so I'm not surprised... I think it depends how much Premier league compared to championship to grass roots you watch?
Jon Nolan on 09:27 - Feb 24 with 4177 viewsChocorange

Jon Nolan on 09:10 - Feb 24 by cobboldkid

Always thought he had something about him. He makes himself available in midfield looks to pass the ball forward and has a goal in him. He's got great potential, Nolan, Bishop and Downes in midfield would suit me fine.

I liked the way he makes himself available and is generally neat and tidy, and looking for a forward pass.

He does seem to have a panic in him when rushed though which causes big issues tho.

The one at QPR springs to mind and there was another yesterday just like that playing a pass across that put Kenlock under so much pressure he had to take the guy down and a yellow card .

Hopefully he will gain confidence the more he plays.
Jon Nolan on 09:46 - Feb 24 with 4116 viewstrncbluearmy

I wonder what some people see as well,we are bottom and adrift for a reason and he is one of them.

He is not alone in being unable to tackle though it seems commonplace in this team.

Lambert/Blue Action have galvanised the support which is great but let's be realistic about the team and lack of quality players.
Jon Nolan on 10:40 - Feb 24 with 4011 viewsgordon

As a general assessment, he rarely unlocks a defence or looks to play a killer ball, he is more of a continuity player, keeping the ball moving.

And given that he doesn't have much pace or physical presence, I'd say that he needs to be better in possession (he hasn't been good enough so far) or more realistically become a genuine goal threat, late runs into the box, improve his finishing and contribute a fair amount of goals. Suspect that he could be a pretty decent finisher - at the moment he reminds me of Paul Mason, but without the goal threat.

Overall I think some of the really poor performances in the earlier part of the season were down to confidence though - he's only had one successful season at League One level, so the step up would have been more challenging than for someone who had established themselves for 3 or 4 seasons.

Definitely not worth giving up, but definitely needs to improve his finishing and become more of a goal threat (given his other limitations) if he wants to be a useful Championship player.

As an aside (not in this thread), I wish people would stop referring to him being in the League One team of the year. He wasn't.
Jon Nolan on 10:50 - Feb 24 with 3979 viewsgordon

Think when he's on the spot for a 50:50 he goes in pretty hard, with a slightly nasty edge which I don't mind.

For me, there are times though when he looks like he's not anticipating things that well and is just going through the motions a bit with his closing down, not expecting to win the ball back etc.

Chalobah is starting to give a different impression - at the start of the season I thought he was a bit clueless, but he's improving at knowing when to close down, when to hang back, positioning for interceptions, second balls etc.
Jon Nolan on 12:04 - Feb 24 with 3895 viewsPositivelyPortman

They don’t go to any games and just pick someone to blame or pick on.
Halfwits.

Poll: Are we happy with the takeover?

Jon Nolan on 12:07 - Feb 24 with 3886 viewsPecker

Best game in a Town shirt. Starting to play for PL and long may it continue.
Jon Nolan on 13:01 - Feb 24 with 3810 viewsurbanblue

Jon Nolan on 10:40 - Feb 24 by gordon

As a general assessment, he rarely unlocks a defence or looks to play a killer ball, he is more of a continuity player, keeping the ball moving.

And given that he doesn't have much pace or physical presence, I'd say that he needs to be better in possession (he hasn't been good enough so far) or more realistically become a genuine goal threat, late runs into the box, improve his finishing and contribute a fair amount of goals. Suspect that he could be a pretty decent finisher - at the moment he reminds me of Paul Mason, but without the goal threat.

Overall I think some of the really poor performances in the earlier part of the season were down to confidence though - he's only had one successful season at League One level, so the step up would have been more challenging than for someone who had established themselves for 3 or 4 seasons.

Definitely not worth giving up, but definitely needs to improve his finishing and become more of a goal threat (given his other limitations) if he wants to be a useful Championship player.

As an aside (not in this thread), I wish people would stop referring to him being in the League One team of the year. He wasn't.

Who put a superb ball through to Quaner for the penalty .... oh!!!

Not much pace ... He ran the length of the pitch having started the move for his goal at Derby!

As for becoming a genuine goal threat and contribute a fair amount of goals ... Jeez mate, our strikers don't even fit that bill!! Nolan has got a couple of well taken cracking goals.

I think he's doing a job that Lambert wants from him ... Could be it helps free Judge up, but certainly Lambert seems a lot happier with him then you do thank goodness.
Jon Nolan on 13:22 - Feb 24 with 3760 viewsMrTown

Very good performance, superb... maybe not but can see why you've said it. I thought it was so difficult and always is to judge a performance realistically when you go down to 10 men so early on.

It inevitably becomes a defence v attack performance, and thats not when you see the best Jon Nolan. Have to say he has improved leaps and bounds since he first signed.

Still think there is more to come from him though.

Poll: Would love to know the opinions on here now of Lambert genuinely?

Jon Nolan on 13:40 - Feb 24 with 3733 viewsreusersfreekicks

Think he benefits from not being asked to be the main/only creative force in midfield as opposed to one of a unit which is his current role. Less burden on him. Think he's ok in the team now
Jon Nolan on 13:42 - Feb 24 with 3729 viewsgordon

Jon Nolan on 13:01 - Feb 24 by urbanblue

Who put a superb ball through to Quaner for the penalty .... oh!!!

Not much pace ... He ran the length of the pitch having started the move for his goal at Derby!

As for becoming a genuine goal threat and contribute a fair amount of goals ... Jeez mate, our strikers don't even fit that bill!! Nolan has got a couple of well taken cracking goals.

I think he's doing a job that Lambert wants from him ... Could be it helps free Judge up, but certainly Lambert seems a lot happier with him then you do thank goodness.

He's been in and out of a team thats bottom of the league by some distance. I think it's probably fair to suggest areas that he needs to improve! I agree that he's got 2 nice goals - if we have aspiration to be more than relegation fodder we'd be looking for our attacking midfielders to be contributing a bit more than that.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024