Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Should we give back the Chagos Islands then? 21:11 - Feb 25 with 12363 viewshomer_123

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-47358602

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Should we give back the Chagos Islands then? on 21:21 - Feb 25 with 5461 viewsBackToRussia

obvs

TWTD CP. Evans Out.
Poll: Neil Young or Lynyrd Skynyrd - there is no middle ground.

Should we give back the Chagos Islands then? on 22:07 - Feb 25 with 5430 viewsfactual_blue

Should we give back the Chagos Islands then? on 21:21 - Feb 25 by BackToRussia

obvs

Yes.

And Gibraltar.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Should we give back the Chagos Islands then? on 22:14 - Feb 25 with 5415 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Should we give back the Chagos Islands then? on 22:07 - Feb 25 by factual_blue

Yes.

And Gibraltar.

....and Ireland, as a brexit sweetener.

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

Should we give back the Chagos Islands then? on 22:14 - Feb 25 with 5412 viewsNthsuffolkblue

But it is "an advisory opinion not a judgment".

Doesn't remind you of anything else does it?

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Should we give back the Chagos Islands then? on 22:18 - Feb 25 with 5399 viewsFtnfwest

No UN rebuke to Mauritius for treating them like second class citizens then?
Should we give back the Chagos Islands then? on 22:19 - Feb 25 with 5397 viewsStokieBlue

Yes.

However the subsequent question is why should we respect the judgement when China have ignored the UN judgement on the Spratly Islands.

I guess the only good thing we did was make it a protected nature reserve which might not be the case when it's handed back.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Should we give back the Chagos Islands then? on 22:20 - Feb 25 with 5394 viewsfactual_blue

Should we give back the Chagos Islands then? on 22:14 - Feb 25 by BanksterDebtSlave

....and Ireland, as a brexit sweetener.

There isn't a former colony we haven't ruined.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Should we give back the Chagos Islands then? on 22:22 - Feb 25 with 5383 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Should we give back the Chagos Islands then? on 22:19 - Feb 25 by StokieBlue

Yes.

However the subsequent question is why should we respect the judgement when China have ignored the UN judgement on the Spratly Islands.

I guess the only good thing we did was make it a protected nature reserve which might not be the case when it's handed back.

SB

Will it mean no yankees on Diego Garcia?

Login to get fewer ads

Should we give back the Chagos Islands then? on 22:23 - Feb 25 with 5381 viewsStokieBlue

Should we give back the Chagos Islands then? on 22:22 - Feb 25 by BanksterDebtSlave

Will it mean no yankees on Diego Garcia?

I suspect that's outside the scope of any handback as you well know.

Fancy passing comment on the Chinese or are we back to just bashing the "yanks". This forum is so predictable.

SB
[Post edited 25 Feb 2019 22:25]

Should we give back the Chagos Islands then? on 22:27 - Feb 25 with 5373 viewsPinewoodblue

Yes.

And Gibraltar.

Not forgetting Scotland and the Falklands.

Don't Chagosians, living in Mauritus, feel that they are regarded as second class citizens by Mauritians.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Should we give back the Chagos Islands then? on 22:33 - Feb 25 with 5354 viewsWeWereZombies

Should we give back the Chagos Islands then? on 22:20 - Feb 25 by factual_blue

There isn't a former colony we haven't ruined.

C'mon, we have improved Wales.

Mainly by importing Benters onto here.

Poll: Luton or Dubai ?

Should we give back the Chagos Islands then? on 22:49 - Feb 25 with 5317 viewsClapham_Junction

We should give the islands back to the Chagossians and let them decide what they want to do, whether that's independence, remain a British Overseas Territory or become part of another country.

Whilst legally Mauritius has a claim to the archipelago, the islands becoming part of Mauritius just seems a bit pointless; they are over 2,000km from Mauritius (and only a few hundred km from the Maldives) and I would be amazed if the Mauritian government would be able to effectively govern them.
Should we give back the Chagos Islands then? on 22:55 - Feb 25 with 5301 viewsClapham_Junction

Should we give back the Chagos Islands then? on 22:27 - Feb 25 by Pinewoodblue

Not forgetting Scotland and the Falklands.

Don't Chagosians, living in Mauritus, feel that they are regarded as second class citizens by Mauritians.

TBF, the Falklands have been British for almost their entire inhabited history. If the islands can be said to have any indigenous population, it's the current population of Falklanders, who exercised their right to self-determination quite clearly only a few years ago.
Should we give back the Chagos Islands then? on 23:02 - Feb 25 with 5279 viewsfooters

Yes.

And Gibraltar.

ESPECIALLY Gibraltar. We should present it to Spain as a threat.

Long-time fans of my content will know that I hold a special place in my heart for the hatred of that place.

Bomb it, then give it back. We've got nukes to spare so why not?

footers QC - Prosecution Barrister, Hasketon Law Chambers
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Should we give back the Chagos Islands then? on 23:03 - Feb 25 with 5275 viewsfooters

Should we give back the Chagos Islands then? on 22:55 - Feb 25 by Clapham_Junction

TBF, the Falklands have been British for almost their entire inhabited history. If the islands can be said to have any indigenous population, it's the current population of Falklanders, who exercised their right to self-determination quite clearly only a few years ago.

And who, happily, give us oil-drilling rights in the region. Coincidence I'm sure. Did well for Thatcher's polls...

Should we give back the Chagos Islands then? on 23:16 - Feb 25 with 5249 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Should we give back the Chagos Islands then? on 22:23 - Feb 25 by StokieBlue

I suspect that's outside the scope of any handback as you well know.

Fancy passing comment on the Chinese or are we back to just bashing the "yanks". This forum is so predictable.

SB
[Post edited 25 Feb 2019 22:25]

I didn't know, it is why I was asking.

And capitalist communists.....what's to like?
[Post edited 25 Feb 2019 23:18]

Should we give back the Chagos Islands then? on 23:20 - Feb 25 with 5244 viewsStokieBlue

Should we give back the Chagos Islands then? on 23:03 - Feb 25 by footers

And who, happily, give us oil-drilling rights in the region. Coincidence I'm sure. Did well for Thatcher's polls...

Come on footers, the Falklands have never been remotely Argentinian.

Oil hasn't materialised either, at least not yet!

SB
[Post edited 25 Feb 2019 23:22]

Should we give back the Chagos Islands then? on 23:24 - Feb 25 with 5226 viewsfooters

Should we give back the Chagos Islands then? on 23:20 - Feb 25 by StokieBlue

Come on footers, the Falklands have never been remotely Argentinian.

Oil hasn't materialised either, at least not yet!

SB
[Post edited 25 Feb 2019 23:22]

Do the sheep get a vote? They seem to be the most permanent residents. Maybe we should give them a vote baaaah any political interference.

Does anyone have a holiday booked there? Looks lovely.
[Post edited 25 Feb 2019 23:27]

Should we give back the Chagos Islands then? on 23:27 - Feb 25 with 5215 viewsStokieBlue

Should we give back the Chagos Islands then? on 23:24 - Feb 25 by footers

Do the sheep get a vote? They seem to be the most permanent residents. Maybe we should give them a vote baaaah any political interference.

You could take in Ascension, St Helena and South Georgia on the way, a tour de force of colonial adventures.

I'm sure Napoleons house must be a hotel by now.

SB

Should we give back the Chagos Islands then? on 23:29 - Feb 25 with 5209 viewsfooters

Should we give back the Chagos Islands then? on 23:27 - Feb 25 by StokieBlue

You could take in Ascension, St Helena and South Georgia on the way, a tour de force of colonial adventures.

I'm sure Napoleons house must be a hotel by now.

SB

Chap I used to work with was from Ascension. He had me guessing for weeks before I got the right answer.. Imagine that! Literally the arse-end of beyond. Wonder what goes on there...

P.S. INB4 someone tells me they have a banging rave scene or summat.

Should we give back the Chagos Islands then? on 23:30 - Feb 25 with 5205 viewsClapham_Junction

Should we give back the Chagos Islands then? on 23:24 - Feb 25 by footers

I've been considering doing an Antarctica cruise that starts in the Falklands. Did Greenland a few years ago and would like to do the other end of the globe.

Easter Island is also on the to-do list!
Should we give back the Chagos Islands then? on 23:33 - Feb 25 with 5192 viewsStokieBlue

Should we give back the Chagos Islands then? on 23:29 - Feb 25 by footers

Chap I used to work with was from Ascension. He had me guessing for weeks before I got the right answer.. Imagine that! Literally the arse-end of beyond. Wonder what goes on there...

P.S. INB4 someone tells me they have a banging rave scene or summat.

Ascension is a weird place because lots on non-native plants were introduced and thus is a melting pot of evolutionary warfare.

SB

Should we give back the Chagos Islands then? on 23:34 - Feb 25 with 5190 viewsStochesStotasBlewe

No.

If we do, that,s my retirement plans scuppered.*

*I,d never heard of them until now. That,s two things i,ve learned today.

Yes, give them back i say.

We have no village green, or a shop. It's very, very quiet. I can walk to the pub.

Should we give back the Chagos Islands then? on 23:36 - Feb 25 with 5181 viewsfooters

Should we give back the Chagos Islands then? on 23:30 - Feb 25 by Clapham_Junction

I've been considering doing an Antarctica cruise that starts in the Falklands. Did Greenland a few years ago and would like to do the other end of the globe.

Easter Island is also on the to-do list!

Plenty of head on Easter Island. Wouldn't mind popping down there myself if that's the case.

Did you go to Svalbard by any chance, not that it's in Greeeland, obvz?

And here's another puzzle: why don't Greenland and Iceland swap names?

Should we give back the Chagos Islands then? on 23:40 - Feb 25 with 5173 viewsfooters

Should we give back the Chagos Islands then? on 23:33 - Feb 25 by StokieBlue

Ascension is a weird place because lots on non-native plants were introduced and thus is a melting pot of evolutionary warfare.

SB

Dark tings a'gwan... I blame Thatcher, personally. But then again I blame her for everything. Including inventing ecstasy to placate da yoof. She did it with Mr Whippy so what's stopping her going that far? More details in my newsletter.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024