Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Pakistan just announcing they have shot down two Indian jets 06:43 - Feb 27 with 2586 viewsStokieBlue

It's literally breaking news whilst listening to the radio but if it's true things could escalate.

Not ideal given they are two nuclear powers with a history of fighting each other.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Pakistan just announcing they have shot down two Indian jets on 06:50 - Feb 27 with 2471 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Maybe we wont get relegated.

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

Pakistan just announcing they have shot down two Indian jets on 06:51 - Feb 27 with 2469 viewsSamuelowen88

Pakistan just announcing they have shot down two Indian jets on 06:50 - Feb 27 by BanksterDebtSlave

Maybe we wont get relegated.

Every (mushroom) cloud has a silver lining

Poll: England v Wales Score

Pakistan just announcing they have shot down two Indian jets on 07:01 - Feb 27 with 2425 viewsBenters2

They dont like it up em!
Pakistan just announcing they have shot down two Indian jets on 07:33 - Feb 27 with 2377 viewsPinewoodblue

Times of India (TOI) have regular, as it happens, updates online. Been some really big battles in the past. Back in 60's tank battles with 1000 tanks on either side.

Not sure what we should worry about the most, cricket World Cup being disrupted or use of nuclear weapons.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Pakistan just announcing they have shot down two Indian jets on 07:38 - Feb 27 with 2356 viewsLord_Lucan

Pakistan just announcing they have shot down two Indian jets on 07:33 - Feb 27 by Pinewoodblue

Times of India (TOI) have regular, as it happens, updates online. Been some really big battles in the past. Back in 60's tank battles with 1000 tanks on either side.

Not sure what we should worry about the most, cricket World Cup being disrupted or use of nuclear weapons.

India says they have shot down a Pakistani jet and one of theirs has crashed.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Pakistan just announcing they have shot down two Indian jets on 07:41 - Feb 27 with 2341 viewsStokieBlue

Pakistan just announcing they have shot down two Indian jets on 07:38 - Feb 27 by Lord_Lucan

Pakistan say they shot it down and have one pilot.

Fog of war in full effect but slightly coincidental that an Indian jet would just crash at the same time skirmishes are happening.

SB

Pakistan just announcing they have shot down two Indian jets on 07:41 - Feb 27 with 2325 viewsBenters2

Pakistan just announcing they have shot down two Indian jets on 07:38 - Feb 27 by Lord_Lucan

and tell me why do we still give these nations foreign aid?
Pakistan just announcing they have shot down two Indian jets on 07:45 - Feb 27 with 2327 viewsLord_Lucan

Pakistan just announcing they have shot down two Indian jets on 07:41 - Feb 27 by Benters2

It's nothing to do with foreign aid, It's all to do with trade deals.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Login to get fewer ads

Pakistan just announcing they have shot down two Indian jets on 08:03 - Feb 27 with 2253 viewsBenters2

Pakistan just announcing they have shot down two Indian jets on 07:45 - Feb 27 by Lord_Lucan

I thought those foreign chaps would spend the aid on a bit of grub and medicine?
Pakistan just announcing they have shot down two Indian jets on 08:18 - Feb 27 with 2220 viewscrunchie1978

Is it racist to favour one side over the other?....just checking!
Pakistan just announcing they have shot down two Indian jets on 08:25 - Feb 27 with 2211 viewsGuthrum

Pakistan just announcing they have shot down two Indian jets on 08:03 - Feb 27 by Benters2

I thought those foreign chaps would spend the aid on a bit of grub and medicine?

The dilemma is that while the governments are, indeed, wasting money on military toys and corruption, there are also people genuinely dying of starvation and preventable disease, or failing to get even the most basic education and legal defence. Aid money funds schemes directly working on the latter problems, it isn't simply handed over to spend on whatever thise nations feel like.

Withdrawing our aid schemes won't change the policies of those rulers. But by doing so, we abandon those people to their fate, the burden often falling predominantly on women and children. We stop giving what, in government budgetry terms, is our small change and people die. Or become refugees drowning in rhe Med (or the Channel).

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Pakistan just announcing they have shot down two Indian jets on 08:41 - Feb 27 with 2159 viewsGuthrum

It may escalate up to the point of a significant regional war. Has happened several times. Pakistan will very likely lose (sheer balance of forces). There may be a minor alteration of borders.

The likelihood of nuclear weapons actually being used is very low.

Pakistan just announcing they have shot down two Indian jets on 09:18 - Feb 27 with 2098 viewsStokieBlue

Pakistan just announcing they have shot down two Indian jets on 08:41 - Feb 27 by Guthrum

It may escalate up to the point of a significant regional war. Has happened several times. Pakistan will very likely lose (sheer balance of forces). There may be a minor alteration of borders.

The likelihood of nuclear weapons actually being used is very low.

Agreed.

Pakistan can't "win" with conventional arms and if they go the other route then neither side wins.

India may see it as a way to force control over all of Kashmir. I don't know what the political thoughts on that are in the country.

SB

Pakistan just announcing they have shot down two Indian jets on 09:20 - Feb 27 with 2088 viewschicoazul

Wonder if the Yanks or the EU or someone have threatened to withdraw aid money from either or both?

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Pakistan just announcing they have shot down two Indian jets on 09:23 - Feb 27 with 2077 viewsStokieBlue

Pakistan just announcing they have shot down two Indian jets on 09:20 - Feb 27 by chicoazul

Wonder if the Yanks or the EU or someone have threatened to withdraw aid money from either or both?

What does that have to do with anything?

SB

Pakistan just announcing they have shot down two Indian jets on 09:24 - Feb 27 with 2076 viewsSteve_M

Pakistan just announcing they have shot down two Indian jets on 09:18 - Feb 27 by StokieBlue

Agreed.

Pakistan can't "win" with conventional arms and if they go the other route then neither side wins.

India may see it as a way to force control over all of Kashmir. I don't know what the political thoughts on that are in the country.

SB

It's surely completely coincidental that there are elections coming up where the ruling BJP are expecting to do rather less well than last time.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Pakistan just announcing they have shot down two Indian jets on 09:31 - Feb 27 with 2066 viewschicoazul

Pakistan just announcing they have shot down two Indian jets on 09:23 - Feb 27 by StokieBlue

What does that have to do with anything?

SB

Well you know what its like. "You send us aid to help keep the peace in our region, this is what happens when you stop"

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Pakistan just announcing they have shot down two Indian jets on 09:37 - Feb 27 with 2053 viewsGuthrum

Pakistan just announcing they have shot down two Indian jets on 09:31 - Feb 27 by chicoazul

Well you know what its like. "You send us aid to help keep the peace in our region, this is what happens when you stop"

More to do with the ambush on Indian troops by (unofficially) Pakistan-backed militants. Combined with a nationalist government in New Delhi and traditional tensions.

Pakistan just announcing they have shot down two Indian jets on 09:39 - Feb 27 with 2047 viewsStokieBlue

Pakistan just announcing they have shot down two Indian jets on 09:31 - Feb 27 by chicoazul

It was caused by a terrorist attack and the need to retaliate due to elections.

Come on Chico - this is exactly how conspiracies start.

SB

Pakistan just announcing they have shot down two Indian jets on 13:10 - Feb 27 with 1925 viewsSwansea_Blue

Pakistan just announcing they have shot down two Indian jets on 07:41 - Feb 27 by Benters2

In exchange for giving us things that we want and/or to encourage them to make it easier for our companies to operate over there. It's not 'aid' per se.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Pakistan just announcing they have shot down two Indian jets on 14:43 - Feb 27 with 1798 viewspickles110564

Pakistan just announcing they have shot down two Indian jets on 07:45 - Feb 27 by Lord_Lucan

Thanx Lord, made me chuckle again.
Pakistan just announcing they have shot down two Indian jets on 14:46 - Feb 27 with 1793 viewspickles110564

Pakistan just announcing they have shot down two Indian jets on 08:25 - Feb 27 by Guthrum

The dilemma is that while the governments are, indeed, wasting money on military toys and corruption, there are also people genuinely dying of starvation and preventable disease, or failing to get even the most basic education and legal defence. Aid money funds schemes directly working on the latter problems, it isn't simply handed over to spend on whatever thise nations feel like.

Withdrawing our aid schemes won't change the policies of those rulers. But by doing so, we abandon those people to their fate, the burden often falling predominantly on women and children. We stop giving what, in government budgetry terms, is our small change and people die. Or become refugees drowning in rhe Med (or the Channel).

Do you actually believe what we send in foreign aid gets spent on the poor?
Or does it get spent on their space program or weapons?
Pakistan just announcing they have shot down two Indian jets on 14:57 - Feb 27 with 1773 viewsSwansea_Blue

Pakistan just announcing they have shot down two Indian jets on 14:46 - Feb 27 by pickles110564

Do you actually believe what we send in foreign aid gets spent on the poor?
Or does it get spent on their space program or weapons?

Much does. Often it can kill two birds with one stone - e.g. upgrading rural roads to improve access, but conveniently done through someone like Mott McDonalds in New Delhi. That was always the old model. I think there's a lot now goes on multilateral programmes, which will often end up run by NGOs. And money goes directly to Indian initiatives, NGOs, programmes, etc.

I don't believe we send money directly to the Indian Govt, so it can't be spent by them on space programmes or weapons. The space programme line came from arch Tory Brexiteer and climate change denier (and all round tw*t) David Davies MP as part of the populist bollox that side of the party comes out with. It was propagates to the greater gammon by the usual gutter press.

Edit - I'll add it still is political in the main, always has been. Wherever the money ends up it's very much to curry favour (pun intended).Not that it isn't appreciated by those who need it and benefit of course.
[Post edited 27 Feb 2019 15:01]

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024