Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Good example of how panics can spread 08:34 - Feb 28 with 1260 viewsGuthrum

and why in the internet age, people (not just children) need to be educated on how to assess the veracity and significance of what they're reading/watching.

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2019/feb/28/viral-momo-challenge-is-a-mal

One thing (an image from a Japanese horror show) is turned into another (a rumoured threat to children), then via a social media post blindly repeated into a third (a panic sufficiently large as to involve warnings by the police). All because nobody bothered to check the background and research whether it really existed.

Such panics did happen prior to the internet (e.g. Spring Heel Jack), but their scope and speed are greatly enhanced nowadays.

We need to teach people (of all ages) to think before hitting "repost".

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

on 08:46 - Feb 28 with 1208 views_

Good example of how panics can spread on 08:56 - Feb 28 with 1179 viewsGuthrum

on 08:46 - Feb 28 by _

Part of the problem is with automated systems. They are simply not sophisticated enough to make distinctions between a genuine Peppa Pig video and one which is mostly that, but has other stuff intercut. And it is, in practical terms (including cost), virtually impossible to make them so.

At the same time, the volume of material is vastly too great for any kind of human filtering.

With children, YouTube probably ought to be treated the way TV was when I was a child - limited time allowed and supervision of what we were allowed to watch. Tho in those days there was only one set in the house, as opposed to everybody carrying an internet-capable device in their pockets.

Good example of how panics can spread on 08:58 - Feb 28 with 1170 viewsStokieBlue

on 08:46 - Feb 28 by _

YouTube is only really good for old Horizon documentaries.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Good example of how panics can spread on 08:58 - Feb 28 with 1170 viewsDebsyAngel

I wish I had never seen the thing - scared the living hell out of me, and I am a fully grown adult!
Good example of how panics can spread on 09:05 - Feb 28 with 1152 viewsGuthrum

Good example of how panics can spread on 08:58 - Feb 28 by DebsyAngel

I wish I had never seen the thing - scared the living hell out of me, and I am a fully grown adult!

Broadly based on the Harpy of ancient Greco-Roman mythology. Tho they were supposedly very beautiful.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harpy

[Post edited 28 Feb 2019 9:06]

Good example of how panics can spread on 09:06 - Feb 28 with 1153 viewsSteve_M

Good example of how panics can spread on 08:56 - Feb 28 by Guthrum

Part of the problem is with automated systems. They are simply not sophisticated enough to make distinctions between a genuine Peppa Pig video and one which is mostly that, but has other stuff intercut. And it is, in practical terms (including cost), virtually impossible to make them so.

At the same time, the volume of material is vastly too great for any kind of human filtering.

With children, YouTube probably ought to be treated the way TV was when I was a child - limited time allowed and supervision of what we were allowed to watch. Tho in those days there was only one set in the house, as opposed to everybody carrying an internet-capable device in their pockets.

That but there is a lot of piss-poor judgement around this particular 'threat' from schools and police forces which is only perpetuating the problem here.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Good example of how panics can spread on 09:08 - Feb 28 with 1143 viewsGuthrum

Good example of how panics can spread on 09:06 - Feb 28 by Steve_M

That but there is a lot of piss-poor judgement around this particular 'threat' from schools and police forces which is only perpetuating the problem here.

Which was really my original point. People (including the authorities) creating a problem by freaking out about something which isn't real, because they haven't bothered to check it first.

Good example of how panics can spread on 09:09 - Feb 28 with 1135 viewsGuthrum

Good example of how panics can spread on 08:58 - Feb 28 by StokieBlue

YouTube is only really good for old Horizon documentaries.

SB

There are some great woodworking tutorials on there.

Login to get fewer ads

Good example of how panics can spread on 09:26 - Feb 28 with 1105 viewsEwan_Oozami

snopes.com is one of the best places for debunking internet myths - anyone who has any interest in protecting people online from this sort of thing should familiarise themselves with that site and make it their first point of call in these cases.

Just one small problem; sell their houses to who, Ben? Fcking Aquaman?
Poll: What else could go on top of the cake apart from icing and a cherry?

Good example of how panics can spread on 09:33 - Feb 28 with 1089 viewsDebsyAngel

Good example of how panics can spread on 09:05 - Feb 28 by Guthrum

Broadly based on the Harpy of ancient Greco-Roman mythology. Tho they were supposedly very beautiful.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harpy

[Post edited 28 Feb 2019 9:06]

But that is a pretty thing! This THING looks like Shelley Duval in The Shining but 1,000 times scarier!
Good example of how panics can spread on 09:36 - Feb 28 with 1079 viewsKing_of_Portman_Rd

There is also the 'Blue Whale challenge' that was the hot topic a few months ago

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/blogs-trending-46505722

They attributed a few suicides to it, but then have never been able to find evidence of a definitive version of it, so it seems to have gained traction through Chinese whispers and the odd news story yet no one knows if it ever was really a 'thing' until someone posted an article about it warning of the dangers.
Good example of how panics can spread on 11:15 - Feb 28 with 1004 viewsSWGF

We actually had a three-page letter home from school, explaining the threat, with the Momo word asterisked (if that's a word in itself) so the kids wouldn't see and search for it.

Poll: What constitutes "too many" when it comes to a daily intake of custard creams?
Blog: Mirroring the Last Rites of Keane's Reign

Good example of how panics can spread on 11:27 - Feb 28 with 969 viewsSwansea_Blue

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024