Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Is it fair to say 22:02 - Feb 28 with 1050 viewsrgp1

That at the next election ( whenever that is) a record number of the 650 MPs will be booted out or deselected and in this country we may never ever have a majority government again? Isn't that what they have in Belgium where they never agree on anything!
Is it fair to say on 22:21 - Feb 28 with 997 viewsEwan_Oozami

I actually googled "Belgian Political System" - what is wrong with me??

Just one small problem; sell their houses to who, Ben? Fcking Aquaman?
Poll: What else could go on top of the cake apart from icing and a cherry?

Is it fair to say on 22:29 - Feb 28 with 990 viewsSwansea_Blue

Is it fair to say on 22:21 - Feb 28 by Ewan_Oozami

This place does that to you. I’ve learnt all sorts of useless stuff. Although Google’s never given me an answer for ‘what the heck are Glassers and Dolly arguing about now’?

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Is it fair to say on 22:30 - Feb 28 with 979 viewsSwansea_Blue

If Brexit is resolved by then I predict disinterest and a very low turnout.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Is it fair to say on 22:32 - Feb 28 with 972 viewsrgp1

Is it fair to say on 22:21 - Feb 28 by Ewan_Oozami

Didn't Belgium effectively have no government for nearly 2 years? I can just imagine all sorts of loony bins being elected on both sides of the argument.
Is it fair to say on 22:36 - Feb 28 with 959 viewsEwan_Oozami

Is it fair to say on 22:32 - Feb 28 by rgp1

Didn't Belgium effectively have no government for nearly 2 years? I can just imagine all sorts of loony bins being elected on both sides of the argument.

That's how low we have sunk, to the level of Belgium...

Just one small problem; sell their houses to who, Ben? Fcking Aquaman?
Poll: What else could go on top of the cake apart from icing and a cherry?

Is it fair to say on 22:54 - Feb 28 with 936 viewsWeWereZombies

Belgium is a different case to the United KIngdom in that there is a language divide between Flems and Walloons that is really marked, we might have a bit of that here when you get Gaelic and Welsh speaking communities but English is so common now that it is not significant. Furthermore there is a bubble around Brussels that demarcates it from the rest of Belgium in political terms. Again you could say we have that with London but it is not the same because London is vast and served by an even larger commuter belt. So a three way regional split and proportional voting system combined to cause the 541 day effort at forming a government back in 2010.

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

Is it fair to say on 08:14 - Mar 1 with 801 viewsGuthrum

Germany functions pretty well without having individual party outright majorities. Instead they have coalitions and cooperations, some of them very long-standing. Same with much of the rest of Europe.

We just have to be politically mature enough to allow time for coalitions to be put together (rather than screaming if things aren't done and dusted in a matter of days) and begin to enjoy the flexibility they afford. Everyone has the chance to vote for someone they want. There is a chance of smaller groupings getting into power and having at least some of their policies enacted or, as in 2010-15, providing something of a brake on more hardline inclinations of the larger paries.

Sure, we're probably going to need some sort of electoral reform, too. My favourite is going back to having larger, multi-MP constituencies (originally, each shire elected two representatives to the Commons). Other options include a Scottish-style dual constituency and PR list system, or some form of transferrable vote. Not personally keen on pure PR. If the two major parties fragment, there will no longer be the massive self-interest blockage which has stopped this from happening.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Is it fair to say on 08:21 - Mar 1 with 787 viewsWD19

You are making the mistake of linking ppl screeching on social media with actually getting off their bum and walking to a polling booth.

As others have said, turnout may well be low and the vast majority of seats will be decided along traditional party lines.

Where you are right is that with the SNP sitting on a large number of seas then the chances of a simple majority for any party are greatly diminished.
Login to get fewer ads

Is it fair to say on 08:28 - Mar 1 with 765 viewsGuthrum

Is it fair to say on 22:54 - Feb 28 by WeWereZombies

Belgium is a different case to the United KIngdom in that there is a language divide between Flems and Walloons that is really marked, we might have a bit of that here when you get Gaelic and Welsh speaking communities but English is so common now that it is not significant. Furthermore there is a bubble around Brussels that demarcates it from the rest of Belgium in political terms. Again you could say we have that with London but it is not the same because London is vast and served by an even larger commuter belt. So a three way regional split and proportional voting system combined to cause the 541 day effort at forming a government back in 2010.

Also, it wasn't that all administration broke down in chaos (as we in the UK seem to fear will happen without majority government), there was simply stalemate on forming a new administration going forwards.

After the German election of 24th September 2017, a coalition agreement was not finally sealed until 4th March the following year, over five months later. The previous time, in 2013, it had taken three months.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024