Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Lost scenes in football 12:00 - Mar 1 with 7920 viewsuefacup81

Prompted by the fact that we're being led out by a dog tomorrow, what other scenes have we lost from modern football, of the 'dog on the pitch' variety?

Poll: Predictions for tonight?

Lost scenes in football on 12:01 - Mar 1 with 4982 viewsfooters

Ask Rommy. He is the board's scenes expert.

footers QC - Prosecution Barrister, Hasketon Law Chambers
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Lost scenes in football on 12:03 - Mar 1 with 4971 viewsLeBlue

Comical stretcher mishaps.

Far too professional medical staff these days.
Lost scenes in football on 12:10 - Mar 1 with 4960 viewsLord_Lucan

Combovers, players with missing teeth, players that look too old to play, invalid cars on the pitch side, taking a p1ss in the stands, feeling p1ss on your leg, atmosphere, missiles, waiting for someone to retrieve the ball after it was booted out of the stadium, surges, fear, enjoyment, wagon wheels, boiled onions, boiled burgers.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Lost scenes in football on 12:29 - Mar 1 with 4905 viewsBasingstokeBlue

Toilet-roll streamers being hurled onto the pitch.

Wooden ratchet-rattles.

Away supporters in a cage.

Poll: What do you think of the three stars being relocated?

Lost scenes in football on 12:43 - Mar 1 with 4866 viewsmonty_radio

Lost scenes in football on 12:10 - Mar 1 by Lord_Lucan

Combovers, players with missing teeth, players that look too old to play, invalid cars on the pitch side, taking a p1ss in the stands, feeling p1ss on your leg, atmosphere, missiles, waiting for someone to retrieve the ball after it was booted out of the stadium, surges, fear, enjoyment, wagon wheels, boiled onions, boiled burgers.

There are many images that come to an old-timer's mind re the scenes back when.

One that touches on much modern slickness, money-madness and our many contemporary prohibitions would be the half-time collection:

A player who had served a club such as Town for an honourable period was awarded a benefit match (but not generally against anyone mighty). At half-time four guys (unadorned by a title such as steward) paraded round the touchline holding open a grey blanket purloined from the faithful St John's Ambulance fella who sat on a wooden bench in front of the stand.

Coins were then hurled from the depth of the stands in the general direction of the blanket and in a manner that would contravene every conceivable current health and safety reg. As a youngster, sat on the wall - imagine that today! - you were caught in a three-way moral dilemma: move away and avoid losing an eye; hop onto the pitch and scoop up errant shots in order to throw the pennies into the blanket and swell the faithful servant's retirement fund, or return home slightly better endowed than when you left it.

I doubt that this windfall ever saw an accountant's ledger or a taxman's grasping hand. And, as an agent was someone who sold houses that the said player couldn't afford, the blanket's benison was probably his alone to take home - always provided he could balance two buckets on the handlebars of his bike.
[Post edited 1 Mar 2019 12:48]

Blog: Too Many Suspects? – A Swede Ramble

Lost scenes in football on 12:47 - Mar 1 with 4840 viewsFixed_It

Lost scenes in football on 12:10 - Mar 1 by Lord_Lucan

Used to love a good surge. TWTD!

Ready! Steady! Cook!
Poll: Club v. Country - which comes first for you?

Lost scenes in football on 12:49 - Mar 1 with 4832 viewsFixed_It

Lost scenes in football on 12:29 - Mar 1 by BasingstokeBlue

Wooden ratchet-rattles.

Kids sitting on the perimeter wall/on the side of the pitch.

Ready! Steady! Cook!

Lost scenes in football on 12:53 - Mar 1 with 4830 viewsLord_Lucan

Lost scenes in football on 12:47 - Mar 1 by Fixed_It

Used to love a good surge. TWTD!

When surges were in their hey day I was quite young and I was bloody terrified of them. I always thought I would get trampled to death.

I would love to pluck a modern day football fan and stick them in the North Stand in the 70's / early 80's - or better still an away match up north and see what they think and how they would cope.

No matter how much you try and explain it you simply cannot do it justice. Going to somewhere like Stoke was literally life threatening,

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Login to get fewer ads

Lost scenes in football on 13:47 - Mar 1 with 4731 viewsFixed_It

The 'Dolly Birds' who used to walk around the pitch at half-time selling souvenirs in their hot pants.

Ready! Steady! Cook!

Lost scenes in football on 13:51 - Mar 1 with 4718 viewsfactual_blue

Lost scenes in football on 12:53 - Mar 1 by Lord_Lucan

When surges were in their hey day I was quite young and I was bloody terrified of them. I always thought I would get trampled to death.

I would love to pluck a modern day football fan and stick them in the North Stand in the 70's / early 80's - or better still an away match up north and see what they think and how they would cope.

No matter how much you try and explain it you simply cannot do it justice. Going to somewhere like Stoke was literally life threatening,

Standing immediately in front of a crush barrier was the best bet.

The letters on the side of the pitch where the HT scores were supposed to be shown: Match A = Arsenal v Leeds etc.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Lost scenes in football on 13:53 - Mar 1 with 4709 viewsmonty_radio

Lost scenes in football on 13:51 - Mar 1 by factual_blue

Standing immediately in front of a crush barrier was the best bet.

The letters on the side of the pitch where the HT scores were supposed to be shown: Match A = Arsenal v Leeds etc.

..... which I think you had to have a programme to interpret?

Blog: Too Many Suspects? – A Swede Ramble

Lost scenes in football on 13:55 - Mar 1 with 4699 viewsfactual_blue

Lost scenes in football on 13:47 - Mar 1 by Fixed_It

The 'Dolly Birds' who used to walk around the pitch at half-time selling souvenirs in their hot pants.

....what sort of 'souvenirs' were in their hot pants?

Lost scenes in football on 13:56 - Mar 1 with 4698 viewsfactual_blue

Lost scenes in football on 13:53 - Mar 1 by monty_radio

..... which I think you had to have a programme to interpret?

Indeed. Usually the numbers weren't displayed, and even if they were, you could barely read them.

Lost scenes in football on 14:18 - Mar 1 with 4660 viewsRobTheMonk

Players having a skinful the night before a game.
Lost scenes in football on 15:19 - Mar 1 with 4582 viewsEwan_Oozami

The smell of cheap cigars, milk crates to stand on, Colonel Bogey at half time....

Just one small problem; sell their houses to who, Ben? Fcking Aquaman?
Poll: What else could go on top of the cake apart from icing and a cherry?

Lost scenes in football on 15:40 - Mar 1 with 4532 viewsBlueBadger

Ipswich Town winning games.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Lost scenes in football on 17:30 - Mar 1 with 4415 viewsSpruceMoose

Streakers.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

Lost scenes in football on 17:46 - Mar 1 with 4392 viewsnoggin

Lost scenes in football on 12:53 - Mar 1 by Lord_Lucan

I got roughed up a bit at Stoke many years ago. Went for a piss during play and four Stoke fans followed me in to the bogs. They gave me a couple of digs before a policeman came in and they scattered. Great days.

Poll: Which team thread should I participate in?

Lost scenes in football on 17:48 - Mar 1 with 4377 viewsnoggin

All the records played today can be purchased from Parrot Records....

"Golden Goal!"

Getting in the North Stand 2 hours before kick off to claim a good spot and start chanting.

Lost scenes in football on 18:05 - Mar 1 with 4335 viewsjontysnut

Lost scenes in football on 17:48 - Mar 1 by noggin

All the records played today can be purchased from Parrot Records....

"Golden Goal!"

Getting in the North Stand 2 hours before kick off to claim a good spot and start chanting.

Who's King of the North these days?
Lost scenes in football on 18:07 - Mar 1 with 4326 viewsnoggin

Lost scenes in football on 18:05 - Mar 1 by jontysnut

Who's King of the North these days?

Jesus was our leader.

Lost scenes in football on 18:28 - Mar 1 with 4286 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Lost scenes in football on 12:29 - Mar 1 by BasingstokeBlue

Wooden ratchet-rattles.

Can blue action do a toilet roll display?

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

Lost scenes in football on 18:46 - Mar 1 with 4245 viewsbontcho

Fat footballers.

Having a crate to watch the game.

Those celebrating flumps on the Portman Rd scoreboard

Outfield players in goal

Bulgarian penalty hero
Poll: Which Harrison should we sign?

Lost scenes in football on 18:53 - Mar 1 with 4230 viewsgtsb

Lost scenes in football on 13:55 - Mar 1 by factual_blue

....what sort of 'souvenirs' were in their hot pants?

Curtains .

[Post edited 1 Mar 2019 18:55]
Lost scenes in football on 18:53 - Mar 1 with 4227 viewsBluespeed225

Lost scenes in football on 17:46 - Mar 1 by noggin

I got roughed up a bit at Stoke many years ago. Went for a piss during play and four Stoke fans followed me in to the bogs. They gave me a couple of digs before a policeman came in and they scattered. Great days.

Wasn’t 81’ was it! There was a bit of a set too under the stand. We were only ‘schooligans’, on the edges, unusually getting a slap, but that game came after a run of Arsenal at home, and Villa away, both of which had been interesting. And it all seemed very normal. About £3 on the bus, £1 to get in, bit of grub, sorted!
Entry Of The Gladiators, teams coming out separately, Swede, St Johns chap with a huge hat, Bobby in a sheepskin that weighed more than me, buckets with a sponge in....
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024