Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Keane, do we really want him next season......? 15:44 - Mar 4 with 1841 viewsbobbyramsey

I know there's a certain amount of clamour to sign him for next season. BUT Expensive (apparently), injury prone, (prob won't see him again this season)

Could be an expensive mistake and by God we've made enough of them recently. Do we really want to risk another........?

I think it would be a big mistake...

Keane, do we really want him next season......? on 15:46 - Mar 4 with 1813 viewsHerbivore

Expensive in what way? He's out of contract and we'd only be offering him a League 1 wage.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Keane, do we really want him next season......? on 15:47 - Mar 4 with 1819 viewsReuser_is_God

Obviously his injury record is a concern however he’s been one of the only players we’ve had this season who has demonstrated any sort of ability to be a championship footballer so I’d take him on.

Evans out
Poll: Are Burgers the new Cheese?

Keane, do we really want him next season......? on 15:48 - Mar 4 with 1814 viewsGlasgowBlue

Keane, do we really want him next season......? on 15:46 - Mar 4 by Herbivore

Expensive in what way? He's out of contract and we'd only be offering him a League 1 wage.

He'll get a Championship club.

From what little we have seen of him, with a pre season and regular football, he is too good for League One.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Keane, do we really want him next season......? on 15:48 - Mar 4 with 1812 viewsReuser_is_God

Keane, do we really want him next season......? on 15:46 - Mar 4 by Herbivore

Yeah but he’s currently on 20k a week so he’ll definitely get that again.

Or something like that.

Evans out
Poll: Are Burgers the new Cheese?

Keane, do we really want him next season......? on 15:49 - Mar 4 with 1801 viewsFixed_It

His current injury is typical for a player playing regularly having had only sporadic appearances previously, so not a major concern. I suspect if we are to sign him he will have to take a big pay cut - but actually I think he will have to be prepared to do that wherever he plays. His injury will almost certainly mean that Hull will not take up their option on him, and others are not likely to be circling as they might had he continued to play well.

Ready! Steady! Cook!
Poll: Club v. Country - which comes first for you?

Keane, do we really want him next season......? on 15:50 - Mar 4 with 1786 viewsHarry_Palmer

Every signing is a gamble. He would certainly be an asset in League One and if he stayed fit I think he would be good for 15 plus goals.

I don't think his current injury is a sign he is injury prone, anybody can pull a hamstring and he doesn't appear to have had any issues with his knees while with us which is a good sign. It will all come down to money and who else is interested but I certainly wouldn't be against signing him in principle.
Keane, do we really want him next season......? on 15:55 - Mar 4 with 1754 viewsitfcjoe

If we can sign him up for a wage that sits within our wage structure next season I'd be very keen to get the deal done - he looks a very good player who just needs to be the main man somewhere

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Keane, do we really want him next season......? on 16:00 - Mar 4 with 1726 viewschicoazul

I predict we will be signing a bunch of players 90% of us will have never heard of from L1, L2, and Scotland. We wont keep any of the current loanees, id be amazed if Judge stayed. Sadly it looks like the long term failures Skuse Bart and Chambers will still be here though.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Login to get fewer ads

Keane, do we really want him next season......? on 16:07 - Mar 4 with 1684 viewsSouperJim

Keane, do we really want him next season......? on 16:00 - Mar 4 by chicoazul

I predict we will be signing a bunch of players 90% of us will have never heard of from L1, L2, and Scotland. We wont keep any of the current loanees, id be amazed if Judge stayed. Sadly it looks like the long term failures Skuse Bart and Chambers will still be here though.

Amusing to read Skuse, Bart and Chambers reframed as the villains of the piece. 6 months ago they were the spine of a team that just needed a little tweak.

I'm not overly sold on Keane, clearly he has something to offer but at what price? We're going to need to cut our cloth accordingly in League One and I can't see how he will fit. His injury record is also a concern and the last thing we need is one of our higher wage earners in the treatment room. We've pinned our hopes on players who can't stay fit for far too long and look where we've ended up.

Poll: Prawn Crackers
Blog: Broken Ipswich

Keane, do we really want him next season......? on 16:07 - Mar 4 with 1666 viewsHerbivore

Keane, do we really want him next season......? on 15:48 - Mar 4 by GlasgowBlue

From what little we have seen of him, with a pre season and regular football, he is too good for League One.

Maybe. The issue will be that he's managed half a dozen games and a couple of goals and then got injured. Will many Championship clubs fancy him? If they do, will he be signed as a first choice? I think that second question is important, the lad hasn't played many games for someone of his ability and he might fancy what he sees as a season in League 1 playing every week for, say, £5k a week over £10k a week (if that) to sit on the bench in the Championship. If he has enjoyed it here then that will factor in too. One upshot of him being on over £20k a week is that, at 26, his next contract doesn't have to be solely about who will pay him the most.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Keane, do we really want him next season......? on 16:12 - Mar 4 with 1665 viewschicoazul

Keane, do we really want him next season......? on 16:07 - Mar 4 by SouperJim

Amusing to read Skuse, Bart and Chambers reframed as the villains of the piece. 6 months ago they were the spine of a team that just needed a little tweak.

I'm not overly sold on Keane, clearly he has something to offer but at what price? We're going to need to cut our cloth accordingly in League One and I can't see how he will fit. His injury record is also a concern and the last thing we need is one of our higher wage earners in the treatment room. We've pinned our hopes on players who can't stay fit for far too long and look where we've ended up.

They are failures. That's just a fact. Chambers and Bart in particular are key men in the worst Ipswich team in living memory, Skuse a bit less so as he is very often injured now. I don't doubt they are good blokes who are trying hard but for me, when we go down, I'd like to see us buy 3 new experienced solid 28yo+ pros who know L1 to replace them. We will need experience next season, but experience of L1 specifically, rather than miserable failure in the Championship.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!

Keane, do we really want him next season......? on 16:16 - Mar 4 with 1650 viewsArnieM

Keane, do we really want him next season......? on 15:48 - Mar 4 by GlasgowBlue

But he wants to join Town by all accounts and has said this many times since he’s been here.

As for , “is he the right striker for next season?” I’m not sure. His injury record , like so many players we seem to sign up, is a big concern. I’m personally sick to the back teeth of players being out long term injured at this Club. We have far too many of them year after year after year.

Poll: Would this current Town team beat the current narwich team

Keane, do we really want him next season......? on 16:30 - Mar 4 with 1594 viewsSouperJim

Keane, do we really want him next season......? on 16:12 - Mar 4 by chicoazul

They are failures. That's just a fact. Chambers and Bart in particular are key men in the worst Ipswich team in living memory, Skuse a bit less so as he is very often injured now. I don't doubt they are good blokes who are trying hard but for me, when we go down, I'd like to see us buy 3 new experienced solid 28yo+ pros who know L1 to replace them. We will need experience next season, but experience of L1 specifically, rather than miserable failure in the Championship.

I think Chambers performances have been mixed, but you can't ignore the fact that on many levels he is a very good captain however and his declining performances on the pitch may well be in part a knock-on effect of him taking too much on his shoulders. Lambert clearly thinks so and for me that is a failing of the management at the club more than the player. Chambers has been desperately trying to fill the void, yet some vilify him for it.

Bart has suffered badly this season as a result of world cup hangover (he's not the first and won't be the last) and by reliable accounts Hurst and Doig and their bullying tactics regarding his wage. He is finding some form again now and remains a very good goalkeeper at this level.

Skuse is an unspectacular water-carrier who would, even now, walk into half the sides in the division when fit.

Who has been a success in the last few years? A poorly performing side does not necessarily mean all the players in it are poor, seems to me that many fans choose to pick on these three more than most (with the possible exception of Knudsen who dared suggest Mick was ok and Spence who has been toilet) simply because they are more visible.

They are not easily replaced and we will miss them when they are gone.

Keane, do we really want him next season......? on 16:36 - Mar 4 with 1576 viewshampstead_blue

would be a good signing but we already have two proven lower league strikers........

He'll get a better deal than we could offer.

Assumption is to make an ass out of you and me. Those who assume they know you, when they don't are just guessing. Those who assume and insist they know are daft and in denial. Those who assume, insist, and deny the truth are plain stupid. Those who assume, insist, deny the truth and tell YOU they know you (when they don't) have an IQ in the range of 35-49.
Poll: Best Blackpool goal

Keane, do we really want him next season......? on 16:38 - Mar 4 with 1572 viewsBiGDonnie

Keane, do we really want him next season......? on 16:30 - Mar 4 by SouperJim

I think Chambers performances have been mixed, but you can't ignore the fact that on many levels he is a very good captain however and his declining performances on the pitch may well be in part a knock-on effect of him taking too much on his shoulders. Lambert clearly thinks so and for me that is a failing of the management at the club more than the player. Chambers has been desperately trying to fill the void, yet some vilify him for it.

Bart has suffered badly this season as a result of world cup hangover (he's not the first and won't be the last) and by reliable accounts Hurst and Doig and their bullying tactics regarding his wage. He is finding some form again now and remains a very good goalkeeper at this level.

Skuse is an unspectacular water-carrier who would, even now, walk into half the sides in the division when fit.

Who has been a success in the last few years? A poorly performing side does not necessarily mean all the players in it are poor, seems to me that many fans choose to pick on these three more than most (with the possible exception of Knudsen who dared suggest Mick was ok and Spence who has been toilet) simply because they are more visible.

You think Skuse would walk into Championship or League one sides?

COYBs
Poll: Is it too soon to sack Hurst?

Keane, do we really want him next season......? on 16:41 - Mar 4 with 1563 viewschicoazul

Keane, do we really want him next season......? on 16:30 - Mar 4 by SouperJim

Those are all fair, informed comments. And you are right about how Mini Roy treated Bart BTW because that is exactly what happened. But for me nonetheless they should go and we should approach next season with as few of the serial failures we are currently lumbered with as possible to try to create some positivity & start to write new stories.

Keane, do we really want him next season......? on 16:45 - Mar 4 with 1534 viewsSouperJim

Keane, do we really want him next season......? on 16:38 - Mar 4 by BiGDonnie

Championship

Keane, do we really want him next season......? on 16:55 - Mar 4 with 1491 viewsWarkTheWarkITFC

Keane, do we really want him next season......? on 15:49 - Mar 4 by Fixed_It

His current injury is typical for a player playing regularly having had only sporadic appearances previously, so not a major concern. I suspect if we are to sign him he will have to take a big pay cut - but actually I think he will have to be prepared to do that wherever he plays. His injury will almost certainly mean that Hull will not take up their option on him, and others are not likely to be circling as they might had he continued to play well.

One thing that is massively in our favour here is that some players just 'feel it' at a certain club.

For a player like Keane, who has scored about 8 career goals ever, half of them almost have come for us.

Whilst we are seeing an injury hit, not particularly lethal striker, he's seeing ITFC and Paul Lambert as a purple patch where he's having the best spell of his career.

He may want that to continue into next season rather than go somewhere else and see him return to squad filler struggling to get a game and therefore sporadically performing.

Poll: How many points from 18 would Lambert need to have to actually be sacked?
Blog: Ipswich Town and the Rotten Kitchen Cupboards

Keane, do we really want him next season......? on 17:00 - Mar 4 with 1468 viewshampstead_blue

Keane, do we really want him next season......? on 16:41 - Mar 4 by chicoazul

Those are all fair, informed comments. And you are right about how Mini Roy treated Bart BTW because that is exactly what happened. But for me nonetheless they should go and we should approach next season with as few of the serial failures we are currently lumbered with as possible to try to create some positivity & start to write new stories.

Relegation will be a blessing in a scary clown mask......

We can shed dead wood, LC, CS.....Big wages, Bart etc, and give the yoof a chance along with some judicious signings.

Sheef Utd, Southampton, the scum, all had a winning mentality when they got promoted.

Our mentality after MM was stifled. Hurst came in and (through utter ignorance and arrogance) trashed it to the point of no return.

New stories indeed. No scary clowns Chico........butterflies and magic carpets please.

Assumption is to make an ass out of you and me. Those who assume they know you, when they don't are just guessing. Those who assume and insist they know are daft and in denial. Those who assume, insist, and deny the truth are plain stupid. Those who assume, insist, deny the truth and tell YOU they know you (when they don't) have an IQ in the range of 35-49.
Poll: Best Blackpool goal

Keane, do we really want him next season......? on 17:14 - Mar 4 with 1430 viewschicoazul

Keane, do we really want him next season......? on 17:00 - Mar 4 by hampstead_blue

Relegation will be a blessing in a scary clown mask......

We can shed dead wood, LC, CS.....Big wages, Bart etc, and give the yoof a chance along with some judicious signings.

Sheef Utd, Southampton, the scum, all had a winning mentality when they got promoted.

Our mentality after MM was stifled. Hurst came in and (through utter ignorance and arrogance) trashed it to the point of no return.

New stories indeed. No scary clowns Chico........butterflies and magic carpets please.

Dunno if its a blessing my brother, its pretty much a disaster in every way. And I think if anything we may see even less of the young players next season as Evans and presumably Lambert will be desperate for promotion. But I think we need to treat it as not just a new chapter but a new book and that means new players & getting rid of those who, to a lesser or greater extent, have got us into this situation.

Keane, do we really want him next season......? on 17:27 - Mar 4 with 1401 viewsCoastalblue

Keane, do we really want him next season......? on 16:38 - Mar 4 by BiGDonnie

He might jog.

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.
Poll: If someone promised you promotion next season, would you think

Keane, do we really want him next season......? on 17:28 - Mar 4 with 1393 viewsSwansea_Blue

Keane, do we really want him next season......? on 16:00 - Mar 4 by chicoazul

I think that's closer to the mark than a lot of people realise. If we have more than half the current squad still with us I will be very surprised.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024