Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
‘Vegan’ sausage roll... 09:34 - Mar 7 with 3813 viewsSitfcB

COYB
Poll: What will today’s 10 pager be
Blog: [Blog] One Year On

‘Vegan’ sausage roll... on 09:36 - Mar 7 with 3500 viewsBlueBadger

Yeah, like that's what upset Piers about it in the first place.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

‘Vegan’ sausage roll... on 09:38 - Mar 7 with 3492 viewsfactual_blue

‘Vegan’ sausage roll... on 09:36 - Mar 7 by BlueBadger

Yeah, like that's what upset Piers about it in the first place.

List of things piers morgan cares about

1. piers morgan

List ends.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

‘Vegan’ sausage roll... on 09:58 - Mar 7 with 3432 viewschicoazul

It's a good point though. Palm oil is awful stuff.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

‘Vegan’ sausage roll... on 10:05 - Mar 7 with 3422 viewsHerbivore

I'm not sure what point he or you are trying to make. I imagine 90% of Greggs products contain palm oil.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

‘Vegan’ sausage roll... on 08:32 - Mar 8 with 3227 viewsSaleAway

‘Vegan’ sausage roll... on 09:58 - Mar 7 by chicoazul

It's a good point though. Palm oil is awful stuff.

Palm oil is NOT awful stuff - its a massively efficient crop. If its grown sustainably, then its not a problem. The issue is not to ban or limit the use of palm oil ( because then folks will use other oil crops which are less efficient, so requiring more deforestation), its to ban unsustainably farmed palm oil - and ban deforestation.

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/science-nature/giving-up-palm-oil-might-actually-

Poll: Which is less impressive?
Blog: Phoenix From the Flames

‘Vegan’ sausage roll... on 09:30 - Mar 8 with 3175 viewsSwansea_Blue

‘Vegan’ sausage roll... on 08:32 - Mar 8 by SaleAway

Palm oil is NOT awful stuff - its a massively efficient crop. If its grown sustainably, then its not a problem. The issue is not to ban or limit the use of palm oil ( because then folks will use other oil crops which are less efficient, so requiring more deforestation), its to ban unsustainably farmed palm oil - and ban deforestation.

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/science-nature/giving-up-palm-oil-might-actually-

"No such thing as sustainable palm oil — 'certified' can destroy even more wildlife, say scientists"
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/asia/palm-oil-sustainable-certified-pla

Whilst what you say may well be true in that it has a higher productivity, the Prof that led the above study had an interesting take on it: "“Some critics of the full ban on palm oil argued that palm oil is more productive and requires less land than other oils. If this is true, my question is why palm oil has to be considered an essential livelihood for humanity....He urged a combination of a more localised use of oils, cutting fatty and unhealthy snack foods such as those containing palm oil, bans on importing palm oil by the EU, US, China and India and the use of more sustainable oils.

My emphasis in bold. Given that it was barely used 15 years ago, it does seem that this is all driven by the mass growth of processed foods. Part of the solution could be for consumers to switch away from those types of products and buy whole foods instead (which would be better for them too).

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

‘Vegan’ sausage roll... on 09:32 - Mar 8 with 3167 viewsfooters

‘Vegan’ sausage roll... on 09:38 - Mar 7 by factual_blue

List of things piers morgan cares about

1. piers morgan

List ends.

2. Voicemails

footers KC - Prosecution Barrister - Friend to all
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

‘Vegan’ sausage roll... on 09:53 - Mar 8 with 3141 viewswkj

A shame to realise Piers Morgan reads TWTD; I never meant to give him ammunition with my genuine curiosity.

Should Palm Oil be okay with Vegans? by wkj 24 Jan 2019 5:25
I am noticing a rise of products flouting their 'health halo' style rollocks lately on a mass of products claiming to be Vegan, a large reason for this is because they're using Palm Oil, in fact almost everything in supermarkets now uses Palm and/or Rapeseed oil in place of butter - cost cutting and the sort.

What is the issue with Palm oil? Well, in case you didn't know, its grown in tropical climates in large amounts leading to the destruction natural habitats for animals, a few endangered species too.

https://www.worldwildlife.org/pages/palm-oil-the-hidden-truth-lurking-in-your-home

https://www.worldwildlife.org/stories/illegal-palm-oil-plantations-threaten-protected-forests

Mass arable farming will have an impact on any eco-system, whether you grow corn, potatoes, beets etc. So one could argue is anything grown in bulk considered vegan - the difference with palm oil though is that it is one of the largest sourced arable products in the world and so out-of-sight out-of-mind for people, we fail to realise how much damage it does to wildlife.

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

Login to get fewer ads

‘Vegan’ sausage roll... on 10:47 - Mar 8 with 3079 viewsSwansea_Blue

‘Vegan’ sausage roll... on 09:53 - Mar 8 by wkj

A shame to realise Piers Morgan reads TWTD; I never meant to give him ammunition with my genuine curiosity.

Should Palm Oil be okay with Vegans? by wkj 24 Jan 2019 5:25
I am noticing a rise of products flouting their 'health halo' style rollocks lately on a mass of products claiming to be Vegan, a large reason for this is because they're using Palm Oil, in fact almost everything in supermarkets now uses Palm and/or Rapeseed oil in place of butter - cost cutting and the sort.

What is the issue with Palm oil? Well, in case you didn't know, its grown in tropical climates in large amounts leading to the destruction natural habitats for animals, a few endangered species too.

https://www.worldwildlife.org/pages/palm-oil-the-hidden-truth-lurking-in-your-home

https://www.worldwildlife.org/stories/illegal-palm-oil-plantations-threaten-protected-forests

Mass arable farming will have an impact on any eco-system, whether you grow corn, potatoes, beets etc. So one could argue is anything grown in bulk considered vegan - the difference with palm oil though is that it is one of the largest sourced arable products in the world and so out-of-sight out-of-mind for people, we fail to realise how much damage it does to wildlife.

You nailed it with the cynicism over health benefits. These products are just riding the trend - in themselves they're no more healthy than the products they're replacing.

‘Vegan’ sausage roll... on 10:51 - Mar 8 with 3076 viewschicoazul

‘Vegan’ sausage roll... on 08:32 - Mar 8 by SaleAway

Interesting. Isnt it more or less impossible to feed everyone the way we currently do and not have deforestation?

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

‘Vegan’ sausage roll... on 11:07 - Mar 8 with 3055 viewssquiz

Piers Morgan and Greggs use the same PR firm.

https://www.taylorherring.com/

Coincidence?
[Post edited 8 Mar 2019 11:07]
‘Vegan’ sausage roll... on 11:15 - Mar 8 with 3035 viewsHerbivore

‘Vegan’ sausage roll... on 10:47 - Mar 8 by Swansea_Blue

You nailed it with the cynicism over health benefits. These products are just riding the trend - in themselves they're no more healthy than the products they're replacing.

I don't think a vegan sausage roll is making any health claims though. It's simply claiming to not contain any animal products.

‘Vegan’ sausage roll... on 12:13 - Mar 8 with 2978 viewsButterbing

‘Vegan’ sausage roll... on 10:51 - Mar 8 by chicoazul

Interesting. Isnt it more or less impossible to feed everyone the way we currently do and not have deforestation?

Not if we all start eating insects. Yum.
‘Vegan’ sausage roll... on 12:21 - Mar 8 with 2962 viewswkj

‘Vegan’ sausage roll... on 12:13 - Mar 8 by Butterbing

Not if we all start eating insects. Yum.

Clearly people have forgotten about the end of the Rick Moranis documentary, Honey I shrunk the kids - world hunger, solved
[Post edited 8 Mar 2019 12:21]

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

‘Vegan’ sausage roll... on 13:37 - Mar 8 with 2897 viewsSwansea_Blue

‘Vegan’ sausage roll... on 11:15 - Mar 8 by Herbivore

I don't think a vegan sausage roll is making any health claims though. It's simply claiming to not contain any animal products.

I assumed it was linked, as the current trend in veganism seems to be driven by a mixture of health and environmental reasons as much as anything. Most articles I've seen online have these more prominent than the good old fashioned reason people became vegans.

‘Vegan’ sausage roll... on 13:42 - Mar 8 with 2888 viewsDubtractor

‘Vegan’ sausage roll... on 13:37 - Mar 8 by Swansea_Blue

I assumed it was linked, as the current trend in veganism seems to be driven by a mixture of health and environmental reasons as much as anything. Most articles I've seen online have these more prominent than the good old fashioned reason people became vegans.

Every vegan I know just doesn't like killing and eating animals for the most part. That and the dubious nature of a lot of factory family methods for dairy.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

‘Vegan’ sausage roll... on 13:45 - Mar 8 with 2878 viewsButterbing

I know a couple of friends who have dairy and egg allergies and find it easier to just go full vegan when eating out. There is also a growing trend of allergies.
‘Vegan’ sausage roll... on 13:46 - Mar 8 with 2877 viewsSpruceMoose

‘Vegan’ sausage roll... on 09:32 - Mar 8 by footers

2. Voicemails

3. Presenting fake photos of British armed forces.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

‘Vegan’ sausage roll... on 13:49 - Mar 8 with 2861 viewsSwansea_Blue

‘Vegan’ sausage roll... on 13:42 - Mar 8 by Dubtractor

Every vegan I know just doesn't like killing and eating animals for the most part. That and the dubious nature of a lot of factory family methods for dairy.

I don't doubt it. Are they long-standing or new vegans though? From what I see online in articles and the like, a lot of the talk today is also about health and the environment. There's been a recent surge in popularity, so I'd expect health and environmental concerns to be a part of that. I can't imagine it's solely down to animal welfare(?).

We're well away from my original point was that I think a lot of the new products on the market don't necessarily tick all of those health and environment boxes as well as the animal welfare one.

‘Vegan’ sausage roll... on 14:01 - Mar 8 with 2829 viewsDubtractor

‘Vegan’ sausage roll... on 13:49 - Mar 8 by Swansea_Blue

I don't doubt it. Are they long-standing or new vegans though? From what I see online in articles and the like, a lot of the talk today is also about health and the environment. There's been a recent surge in popularity, so I'd expect health and environmental concerns to be a part of that. I can't imagine it's solely down to animal welfare(?).

We're well away from my original point was that I think a lot of the new products on the market don't necessarily tick all of those health and environment boxes as well as the animal welfare one.

The vegans I know are mostly long standing and entirely because of animal welfare.

Health definitely isn't a consideration.

Appreciate this is a small sample!

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

‘Vegan’ sausage roll... on 17:11 - Mar 8 with 2768 viewsHerbivore

People going vegan for health reasons does not mean that any product subsequently labelled vegan is making any kind of health claims.

on 17:33 - Mar 8 with 2743 views_

‘Vegan’ sausage roll... on 18:12 - Mar 8 with 2720 viewsSwansea_Blue

‘Vegan’ sausage roll... on 17:11 - Mar 8 by Herbivore

People going vegan for health reasons does not mean that any product subsequently labelled vegan is making any kind of health claims.

The product may not be, but the people buying it may think they are buying a healthier option because vegan diets are often talked about in terms of health benefits.

I can’t remember what point I was trying to make. Sorry, what was the question again and who asked it? Nurse!

Edit - I think what I’ve just said there is that vegans might not realise that a sausage roll isn’t especially healthy. Which is nonsense. They’re vegans, not necessarily idiots! I think I need a drink....
[Post edited 8 Mar 2019 18:15]

‘Vegan’ sausage roll... on 18:35 - Mar 8 with 2686 viewsSpruceMoose

on 17:33 - Mar 8 by _

We know how to produce them in IP2.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

‘Vegan’ sausage roll... on 10:18 - Mar 9 with 2520 viewsHerbivore

‘Vegan’ sausage roll... on 18:12 - Mar 8 by Swansea_Blue

The product may not be, but the people buying it may think they are buying a healthier option because vegan diets are often talked about in terms of health benefits.

I can’t remember what point I was trying to make. Sorry, what was the question again and who asked it? Nurse!

Edit - I think what I’ve just said there is that vegans might not realise that a sausage roll isn’t especially healthy. Which is nonsense. They’re vegans, not necessarily idiots! I think I need a drink....
[Post edited 8 Mar 2019 18:15]

You're edit is entirely correct, so fair play to you (and I hope you enjoyed a nice drink) . I just don't get this notion that labelling something vegan gives the impression it's healthy. A food product being labelled vegan purely means it contains no animal products, it doesn't mean it's good for you. Nobody honestly thinks a Greggs sausage roll is a healthy choice.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024