Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The Lucan challenge. 21:46 - Mar 10 with 6412 viewscatch74

Following on from another thread, wondered how broad Lucan’s Suffolk pub knowledge is.
I’ve got a funny feeling we could name lots of pubs and he’d have a story to tell..

Lucan, if you’re up for it?

Cock and Pye - going Ipswich to start.

Poll: Who are the Numbskulls?

The Lucan challenge. on 22:51 - Mar 10 with 4835 viewsfloridablue

Not to sure if this is what this thread is about, so forgive me. But if there's anything to add/stories about my first ever watering hole as an under aged 13/14 year old late 60s being served a beer in the Mullberry Tree pub Ipswich I'd love to read them. and at that time the landlord, George knew of my family so I guess, also my age but still poured me a pint!...cheers George!
[Post edited 10 Mar 2019 23:27]
The Lucan challenge. on 22:56 - Mar 10 with 4824 viewsStirlingArcher

What was the "Seckford Tap" in Woodbridge, formerly known as?

That was my pre-18 watering hole for a few years

*was MANY moons ago

Edit: Was it the Seckford Arms? *Rings a bell*

and then in Ipswich "The Arboretum"
[Post edited 10 Mar 2019 23:02]
The Lucan challenge. on 23:07 - Mar 10 with 4811 viewsJoey_Joe_Joe_Junior

The Lucan challenge. on 22:56 - Mar 10 by StirlingArcher

*was MANY moons ago

The Arboretum was a big under age hang out on the edge of town somewhere from my hazy early 2000s memory.
The Lucan challenge. on 23:11 - Mar 10 with 4795 viewscatch74

The Lucan challenge. on 22:56 - Mar 10 by StirlingArcher

*was MANY moons ago

Seckford Arms, sounds familiar - think they didn’t mind serving under age. Would have been in there v early 90’s.

The Lucan challenge. on 23:14 - Mar 10 with 4791 viewscatch74

The Lucan challenge. on 22:51 - Mar 10 by floridablue

Not to sure if this is what this thread is about, so forgive me. But if there's anything to add/stories about my first ever watering hole as an under aged 13/14 year old late 60s being served a beer in the Mullberry Tree pub Ipswich I'd love to read them. and at that time the landlord, George knew of my family so I guess, also my age but still poured me a pint!...cheers George!
[Post edited 10 Mar 2019 23:27]

No worries, if Lucan was in the Mulberry Tree in the late 60’s it covers all bases anyway!

The Lucan challenge. on 23:26 - Mar 10 with 4774 viewsLord_Lucan

I'm just going to bed.

To be honest though the thread in question that you refer to - I don't think I know the pub that Factual was talking about, I just googled it out of interest and saw it was Greene King.

I've only been on the p1ss in BSE twice in my life - and didn't like it because they were all GK pubs. I think I found one Adnams pub only in town and that was near Waitrose I think - The Barn or something?

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

The Lucan challenge. on 23:32 - Mar 10 with 4744 viewscatch74

The Lucan challenge. on 23:26 - Mar 10 by Lord_Lucan

I'm just going to bed.

To be honest though the thread in question that you refer to - I don't think I know the pub that Factual was talking about, I just googled it out of interest and saw it was Greene King.

I've only been on the p1ss in BSE twice in my life - and didn't like it because they were all GK pubs. I think I found one Adnams pub only in town and that was near Waitrose I think - The Barn or something?

Night Lucan, just wondering if I could get a classic LL tale from somewhere.

The Lucan challenge. on 23:49 - Mar 10 with 4708 viewsStirlingArcher

The Lucan challenge. on 23:07 - Mar 10 by Joey_Joe_Joe_Junior

The Arboretum was a big under age hang out on the edge of town somewhere from my hazy early 2000s memory.

About '94-95 for my hazy memory
Login to get fewer ads

The Lucan challenge. on 23:56 - Mar 10 with 4702 viewsBLUEBEAT

The Lucan challenge. on 23:26 - Mar 10 by Lord_Lucan

I'm just going to bed.

Chantry Kingfisher has a load of Mod bands playing at a charity alldayer on Saturday. No Purple Hearts, though.
[Post edited 10 Mar 2019 23:57]

Poll: W or W

The Lucan challenge. on 06:30 - Mar 11 with 4548 viewsallezlesbleus

There must be some great stories about the Cock and Pye. That, along with The Falcon were my first town centre drinking holes, around 1984 when I was 15/16.
The Lucan challenge. on 08:06 - Mar 11 with 4472 viewstcblue

The Analrectum is still there, on High Street, isn't it? Arbor House or something it's called now.

Disclaimer: don't drink and I don't live in Suffolk, haven't for years
The Lucan challenge. on 08:13 - Mar 11 with 4466 viewschicoazul

I want to hear more stories about things like the time he found some drugs on the floor of a train, didnt know what they were, and took them anyway.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

The Lucan challenge. on 08:20 - Mar 11 with 4453 viewsLord_Lucan

The Lucan challenge. on 08:13 - Mar 11 by chicoazul

I want to hear more stories about things like the time he found some drugs on the floor of a train, didnt know what they were, and took them anyway.

You're blowing things out of all proportion, they were found under a mat in a new car my mate had bought and I was 90% sure what it was.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.

The Lucan challenge. on 08:20 - Mar 11 with 4448 viewsitfcjoe

The Arb, when Trev was the landlord was the underage drinking hangout for everyone from Ipswich School - if you couldn't get served there you'd go to Buldevs which is the offy just up the road from Coes and buy some Mad Dog 20:20.

Had some great times in the Arb at 14/15/16, going to the bar and the landlord refusing to serve you because you were underage, and telling you to give money to your mate who looked older and that he would serve him! Walked out the door once as the police came piling in and everyone else there got reported back to school and parents about it and in big trouble as we dodged it.

Trev going mad one day and trying to fight everyone in the car park, but was literally men against boys

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

The Lucan challenge. on 08:40 - Mar 11 with 4399 viewsLord_Lucan

The Lucan challenge. on 23:56 - Mar 10 by BLUEBEAT

Chantry Kingfisher has a load of Mod bands playing at a charity alldayer on Saturday. No Purple Hearts, though.
[Post edited 10 Mar 2019 23:57]

Ooooh,

Does it go into the evening as I'm working in the daytime.

Are you going?

The Lucan challenge. on 09:10 - Mar 11 with 4343 viewschicoazul

The Lucan challenge. on 08:20 - Mar 11 by Lord_Lucan

You're blowing things out of all proportion, they were found under a mat in a new car my mate had bought and I was 90% sure what it was.

Could have sworn it was a train...I am old and befuddled, and it's a great story anyway.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

The Lucan challenge. on 09:14 - Mar 11 with 4320 viewsLord_Lucan

The Lucan challenge. on 09:10 - Mar 11 by chicoazul

Could have sworn it was a train...I am old and befuddled, and it's a great story anyway.

Found in car, taken on train.

Cracking journey.

The Lucan challenge. on 09:15 - Mar 11 with 4318 viewsPJH

The train was the one with the transvestite and the present for Lady Lucan wasn't it?
Or maybe I am old and befuddled too.
The Lucan challenge. on 09:26 - Mar 11 with 4283 viewsartsbossbeard

On a train travel side note, Lucan had kindly purchased train tickets for the London-Ipwich leg of our return from Amsterdam via Eurostar.

All was going swimmingly until Herr Commandant Ticket Inspector got a little annoyed that we were travelling on a busy commuter train on tickets that could only be used at 04:43am if dressed as an ostrich.

Oh how we all laughed when we had to upgrade our tickets to full RRP costs.

The highlight was later on our journey when Herr Commandant came over to say something to us again (in probable light heartedness) to be asked by one of our lot "how much do you f**cking want now?"

Please note: prior to hitting the post button, I've double checked for anything that could be construed as "Anti Semitic" and to the best of my knowledge it isn't. Anything deemed to be of a Xenophobic nature is therefore purely accidental or down to your own misconstruing.
Poll: Raining in IP8 - shall I get the washing in?

The Lucan challenge. on 10:16 - Mar 11 with 4199 viewsStirlingArcher

The Lucan challenge. on 08:20 - Mar 11 by itfcjoe

The Arb, when Trev was the landlord was the underage drinking hangout for everyone from Ipswich School - if you couldn't get served there you'd go to Buldevs which is the offy just up the road from Coes and buy some Mad Dog 20:20.

Had some great times in the Arb at 14/15/16, going to the bar and the landlord refusing to serve you because you were underage, and telling you to give money to your mate who looked older and that he would serve him! Walked out the door once as the police came piling in and everyone else there got reported back to school and parents about it and in big trouble as we dodged it.

Trev going mad one day and trying to fight everyone in the car park, but was literally men against boys

Pretty much got served in Ipswich School uniform (sixth form of course) there.
Trev rings a bell :)

what was your Arb time period Joe?

95/96 for me (I think)
The Lucan challenge. on 10:43 - Mar 11 with 4139 viewsBLUEBEAT

The Lucan challenge. on 08:40 - Mar 11 by Lord_Lucan

Ooooh,

Does it go into the evening as I'm working in the daytime.

Are you going?

It’s midday to closing time.

Will be heading up after the match but won’t be staying into later evening as I will have my lad with me.

Will be spinning a few records 5.45pm-7pm between band sets.

Poll: W or W

The Lucan challenge. on 11:14 - Mar 11 with 4100 viewsitfcjoe

The Lucan challenge. on 10:16 - Mar 11 by StirlingArcher

Pretty much got served in Ipswich School uniform (sixth form of course) there.
Trev rings a bell :)

what was your Arb time period Joe?

95/96 for me (I think)

I must have been about 2000-2002ish, can't remember exactly but they tally up with Yr10, 11 and 12!

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

The Lucan challenge. on 12:08 - Mar 11 with 4054 viewsLord_Lucan

The Lucan challenge. on 10:43 - Mar 11 by BLUEBEAT

It’s midday to closing time.

Will be heading up after the match but won’t be staying into later evening as I will have my lad with me.

Will be spinning a few records 5.45pm-7pm between band sets.

As much as I fancy it, it seems most of my lot are behaving like a bunch of Jessies because they have to get up in the morning.

It's looking unlikely ATM.

The Lucan challenge. on 12:43 - Mar 11 with 3996 viewsBlueStreak

The Lucan challenge. on 11:14 - Mar 11 by itfcjoe

I must have been about 2000-2002ish, can't remember exactly but they tally up with Yr10, 11 and 12!

That is right mate, I was in there a lot too
The Lucan challenge. on 13:04 - Mar 11 with 3960 viewsStirlingArcher

The Lucan challenge. on 11:14 - Mar 11 by itfcjoe

damn youngsters and your year 11 funky stuff

I still don't get the whole yr 10,11 etc

1st to 5th then lower and upper 6th thank you
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024