Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
So the IRA have formally claimed responsibility for the mail bombs... 11:55 - Mar 12 with 3777 viewsconnorscontract

They were clearly "warning shots", and designed to say "This can return" rather than do damage at this stage. Claiming responsibility on Brexit vote day is hugely significant.

The Good Friday Agreement is now broken in all major areas:

1. The Power-Sharing Executive is suspended. Google Arlene Foster Renewables for reasons.

2. This means that the Police Service of Northern Ireland is now under the direct control of the Home Secretary and Northern Ireland Secretary. The Northern Ireland Secretary recently blundered and politically interfered in the legal process regarding killings by British service personnel. Independence and freedom from political interference for the PSNI is a central plank of the GFA.

3. Any issue around sovereignty is supposed to be determined by a vote by the people of Northern Ireland. Northern Ireland voted substantially against Brexit, but the British passport-holders of Northern Ireland are losing their European "citizenship" by the imposition of the will of English voters.

4. A No Deal Brexit will necessitate the reintroduction of security structures and roadblock checks, whether on the Border or just beyond it. The GFA calls for the dismantling of security structures, not re-imposing them. Even May's Backstop only provides a temporary relief: a solution would still need to be found.

5. The only lasting success of the GFA which hadn't been compromised was the decommissioning of all paramilitary weapons. By sending these "bombs" (firecrackers, really) and then claiming responsibility, the IRA (or whichever faction of the IRA is responsible) is formally declaring that it is no longer bound by the GFA.

We are in a really bad position: the Peace Process is teetering, and the DUP are content for it to fall.

And they have May's nuts in a vice...
So the IRA have formally claimed responsibility for the mail bombs... on 12:00 - Mar 12 with 3739 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Its all very tedious.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Tedious is not the right word buh (n/t) on 12:02 - Mar 12 with 3733 viewsDyland

So the IRA have formally claimed responsibility for the mail bombs... on 12:00 - Mar 12 by Marshalls_Mullet

Its all very tedious.

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

So the IRA have formally claimed responsibility for the mail bombs... on 12:03 - Mar 12 with 3728 viewsuefacup81

Nothing is ever as it seems.

If you've not watched House of Cards (either version), I strongly recommend it. Fear is power.

Poll: Predictions for tonight?

So the IRA have formally claimed responsibility for the mail bombs... on 12:07 - Mar 12 with 3705 viewsStokieBlue

That's an excellent summary of the position.

It's something I thought I wouldn't have to see again and unfortunately it's going to start if there is any form of hard border.

There is a whole generation who haven't had to live with this and unfortunately it looks like they might have to. They are used to lone wolf attackers, not the highly organised and efficient attacks that used to happen.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

So the IRA have formally claimed responsibility for the mail bombs... on 12:07 - Mar 12 with 3698 viewsStokieBlue

So the IRA have formally claimed responsibility for the mail bombs... on 12:03 - Mar 12 by uefacup81

If you've not watched House of Cards (either version), I strongly recommend it. Fear is power.

What on earth is that supposed to mean.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

So the IRA have formally claimed responsibility for the mail bombs... on 12:08 - Mar 12 with 3697 viewsconnorscontract

Mail bomb story from a variety of sources:

https://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-britain-security/dissident-republican-ira-clai

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6798949/IRA-claims-responsibility-parce

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-47538402

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2019/mar/12/group-calling-itself-ira-claims-

And here's the story of the Northern Ireland Secretary interfering in an ongoing criminal investigation into killings by British service personnel:
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/mar/07/karen-bradley-northern-ireland-
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-47471469

Here's how well it went down in Eire:
https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/killings-by-british-soldiers-during-tro

And here's Arlene Foster, Renewables and the collapse of Stormont and the Power Sharing Executive:
2017 coverage: https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/cash-for-ash-arlene-foster-dup-to
2018 coverage: https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2018/sep/28/cash-for-ash-arlene-foster-accou
A view from Eire: https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/arlene-foster-defends-role-in-energy-sc

Still not dealt with!

Surely even those who voted Leave will admit that Brexit in itself has been a car-crash, but the Northern Ireland Peace Process as collateral damage?
Tedious is not the right word buh (n/t) on 12:11 - Mar 12 with 3672 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Tedious is not the right word buh (n/t) on 12:02 - Mar 12 by Dyland

I think its very apt, everything involved in 'The troubles' is tedious, all sides are tedious, the 'cause' is tedious.

Pure terrorism in pursuit of power, and been going on far too long. Tedious.
[Post edited 12 Mar 2019 12:11]

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

So the IRA have formally claimed responsibility for the mail bombs... on 12:19 - Mar 12 with 3624 viewsconnorscontract

So the IRA have formally claimed responsibility for the mail bombs... on 12:03 - Mar 12 by uefacup81

I know more about Northern Ireland politics than the Northern Ireland Secretary.
The Northern Ireland Secretary effectively "rules" Northern Ireland.
I have read the Good Friday Agreement. Most MPs haven't.
The former Foreign Secretary, now seen as the leading contender to be Prime Minister post-May, has blundered all over the border issue, showing no sign of understanding the issues, or even of the sensitivities around it.

House of Cards is all about Machiavellian manipulation. Clever people leading us down a road.
This is "The Thick of It" omnishambles multiplied by the Dilbert principle of people being promoted above their competence.

And they're playing with car bombs.

Bradley actually interfered in the inquiry into Bloody Sunday etc ffs! That actually just happened. And didn't just interfere, but made a clear declaration of innocence. And Foster didn't just escape having to resign over renewables, she has been promoted to leader! And the electorate have backed her subsequently, sticking it to the other lot!

Playing with car bombs...
Login to get fewer ads

So the IRA have formally claimed responsibility for the mail bombs... on 13:10 - Mar 12 with 3470 viewsGuthrum

You say 'the IRA', but which one? It's improbable that the old Provisionals of 20+ years ago are just waiting in the wings to turn on the taps of violence again.

Many of the old leadership are dead, or completely intwined in the peace process. Organisational structures will have been degraded by time and factionalism. Stores of weapons and explosives have been destroyed. Formerly supportive regimes are no longer in power.

This action is far more likely to be a small splinter (even a single individual) making big claims and wanting to get noticed. Those devices may well be the limit of their capability.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

So the IRA have formally claimed responsibility for the mail bombs... on 13:15 - Mar 12 with 3430 viewsDyland

So the IRA have formally claimed responsibility for the mail bombs... on 12:19 - Mar 12 by connorscontract

I know more about Northern Ireland politics than the Northern Ireland Secretary.
The former Foreign Secretary, now seen as the leading contender to be Prime Minister post-May, has blundered all over the border issue, showing no sign of understanding the issues, or even of the sensitivities around it.

House of Cards is all about Machiavellian manipulation. Clever people leading us down a road.
This is "The Thick of It" omnishambles multiplied by the Dilbert principle of people being promoted above their competence.

Bradley actually interfered in the inquiry into Bloody Sunday etc ffs! That actually just happened. And didn't just interfere, but made a clear declaration of innocence. And Foster didn't just escape having to resign over renewables, she has been promoted to leader! And the electorate have backed her subsequently, sticking it to the other lot!

Yeh but no, they've seen House of Cards so what do you know.

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

So the IRA have formally claimed responsibility for the mail bombs... on 16:32 - Mar 12 with 3226 viewsmanchego

Strangely, near where I work, In the middle of Bedfordshire (middle of nowhere), there's a security incident going on right now at a science centre. Roads closed, blacked out vehicles in and out.
I said to a guy, welcome to the 70's.
So the IRA have formally claimed responsibility for the mail bombs... on 16:34 - Mar 12 with 3215 viewsitfcjoe

So the IRA have formally claimed responsibility for the mail bombs... on 16:32 - Mar 12 by manchego

Strangely, near where I work, In the middle of Bedfordshire (middle of nowhere), there's a security incident going on right now at a science centre. Roads closed, blacked out vehicles in and out.

There was one at Waterfront Building at Uni of Suffolk today too

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

So the IRA have formally claimed responsibility for the mail bombs... on 16:36 - Mar 12 with 3197 viewsgiant_stow

So the IRA have formally claimed responsibility for the mail bombs... on 16:32 - Mar 12 by manchego

Twtd has a man/woman on the spot - can you provide further updates please?

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

So the IRA have formally claimed responsibility for the mail bombs... on 16:37 - Mar 12 with 3186 viewsmanchego

So the IRA have formally claimed responsibility for the mail bombs... on 16:36 - Mar 12 by giant_stow

Twtd has a man/woman on the spot - can you provide further updates please?

I certainly will if I get them but I got home and lots about Glasgow and other places but nothing about Beds.
So the IRA have formally claimed responsibility for the mail bombs... on 16:40 - Mar 12 with 3175 viewsbrazil1982

So the IRA have formally claimed responsibility for the mail bombs... on 12:19 - Mar 12 by connorscontract

Are you Irish?
So the IRA have formally claimed responsibility for the mail bombs... on 17:22 - Mar 12 with 3122 viewsSuperfrans

Indeed.

The morons currently leading our politics in this country are too fecking hopeless to manage any kind of "House Of Cards"-style manipulation. It's total incompetance led by utter idiots who have no idea what they are doing.

Omnishambles is right.

Poll: What is your voting intention on December 12?
Blog: Dear Martin Samuel...

So the IRA have formally claimed responsibility for the mail bombs... on 18:49 - Mar 12 with 3030 viewsSE1blue

Stranger Things series 4 being filmed?

Blog: D-I-V-O-R-C-E

So the IRA have formally claimed responsibility for the mail bombs... on 18:58 - Mar 12 with 3013 viewsconnorscontract

So the IRA have formally claimed responsibility for the mail bombs... on 16:40 - Mar 12 by brazil1982

Are you Irish?

No, English. I did my dissertation on Ian Paisley and have kept up with Northern Ireland politics since.

It's not a big boast to claim that I know more about Northern Ireland politics than Bradley. She is on record as saying she didn't know that Unionists wouldn't vote for Sinn Fein.

That's a bit like the England football manager saying that they were surprised to discover that they couldn't put in a transfer bid for Cristiano Ronaldo and Lionel Messi to improve the team.
So the IRA have formally claimed responsibility for the mail bombs... on 19:06 - Mar 12 with 2996 viewsfooters

So the IRA have formally claimed responsibility for the mail bombs... on 18:58 - Mar 12 by connorscontract

No, English. I did my dissertation on Ian Paisley and have kept up with Northern Ireland politics since.

It's not a big boast to claim that I know more about Northern Ireland politics than Bradley. She is on record as saying she didn't know that Unionists wouldn't vote for Sinn Fein.

That's a bit like the England football manager saying that they were surprised to discover that they couldn't put in a transfer bid for Cristiano Ronaldo and Lionel Messi to improve the team.

We've had enough of experts. What does studying something prove?

Seriously, a great thread with well-evidenced points. From some posters.

footers QC - Prosecution Barrister, Hasketon Law Chambers
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

So the IRA have formally claimed responsibility for the mail bombs... on 19:16 - Mar 12 with 2977 viewsEireannach_gorm

So the IRA have formally claimed responsibility for the mail bombs... on 18:58 - Mar 12 by connorscontract

You are an unusual British citizen in the fact that you have an interest in ( and knowledge of ) Northern Ireland.

It was very revealing when Karen Bradley made her comments. A: that she did not have a clue that what she said would be taken badly in Ireland and B: no British politician took her to task.

I would love to know the percentage of the British population who knew about the DUP before Brexit.
So the IRA have formally claimed responsibility for the mail bombs... on 20:38 - Mar 12 with 2910 viewsconnorscontract

So the IRA have formally claimed responsibility for the mail bombs... on 13:10 - Mar 12 by Guthrum

You say 'the IRA', but which one? It's improbable that the old Provisionals of 20+ years ago are just waiting in the wings to turn on the taps of violence again.

Many of the old leadership are dead, or completely intwined in the peace process. Organisational structures will have been degraded by time and factionalism. Stores of weapons and explosives have been destroyed. Formerly supportive regimes are no longer in power.

This action is far more likely to be a small splinter (even a single individual) making big claims and wanting to get noticed. Those devices may well be the limit of their capability.

In my original post (towards the end) I put in brackets about it being whichever faction of the IRA. But they did use a recognised code-word, so have links to those who went before, even if they are of a younger generation.

It's being reported as "new IRA" not the Provisional IRA. It doesn't matter which faction it is to the mother of the first child killed, though, does it? It doesn't matter if it's one person or twenty, if they do succeed in planting a viable bomb. See Timothy McVeigh or the Unabomber.

Somebody with the expertise to make a miniature letter bomb has begun a campaign, targeting the mainland. The GFA is under threat.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024