Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
737 MAX banned from operating in UK airspace 15:08 - Mar 12 with 1591 viewsStokieBlue

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-47536502

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

737 MAX banned from operating in UK airspace on 15:17 - Mar 12 with 1561 viewsJ2BLUE

The lengths they will go to to keep Spruce out of the country.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

737 MAX banned from operating in UK airspace on 15:18 - Mar 12 with 1555 viewsSpruceMoose

737 MAX banned from operating in UK airspace on 15:17 - Mar 12 by J2BLUE

The lengths they will go to to keep Spruce out of the country.

Joke is on you. I'm next returning on an Airbus A340.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

737 MAX banned from operating in UK airspace on 20:50 - Mar 12 with 1448 viewsRob88

Interesting that the U.S. haven’t taken the same stance....yet.

I suspect their response would have been different had it been an Airbus.
737 MAX banned from operating in UK airspace on 20:56 - Mar 12 with 1440 viewsElderGrizzly

737 MAX banned from operating in UK airspace on 20:50 - Mar 12 by Rob88

Hmmm I wonder why they haven’t yet....

737 MAX banned from operating in UK airspace on 20:59 - Mar 12 with 1434 viewsfooters

Seems very strange indeed that Boeing would deny much wrong with the planes yet be undertaking a large-scale, urgent investigation into the software at the same time.

At least that is my understanding.

footers KC - Prosecution Barrister - Friend to all
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

737 MAX banned from operating in UK airspace on 21:33 - Mar 12 with 1404 viewsRob88

737 MAX banned from operating in UK airspace on 20:56 - Mar 12 by ElderGrizzly

Hmmm I wonder why they haven’t yet....

It is something that we are very cognisant of at work.

The U.S. are very good at protecting their own whereas we are not so.
737 MAX banned from operating in UK airspace on 22:06 - Mar 12 with 1364 viewsElderGrizzly

737 MAX banned from operating in UK airspace on 21:33 - Mar 12 by Rob88

It is something that we are very cognisant of at work.

The U.S. are very good at protecting their own whereas we are not so.

This isn’t a parody

[Post edited 12 Mar 2019 22:07]
737 MAX banned from operating in UK airspace on 22:28 - Mar 12 with 1337 viewsRob88

737 MAX banned from operating in UK airspace on 22:06 - Mar 12 by ElderGrizzly

This isn’t a parody

Doesn’t cease to amaze.

This one got my goat:

https://mobile.twitter.com/realdonaldtrump/status/948195478428102657?lang=en
Login to get fewer ads

737 MAX banned from operating in UK airspace on 22:30 - Mar 12 with 1332 viewsJoey_Joe_Joe_Junior

There isn't many in operation in the US (65) but yes it would kill Boeing's stock and FAA have to keep their mates on side.
737 MAX banned from operating in UK airspace on 22:32 - Mar 12 with 1323 viewsfooters

737 MAX banned from operating in UK airspace on 22:30 - Mar 12 by Joey_Joe_Joe_Junior

There isn't many in operation in the US (65) but yes it would kill Boeing's stock and FAA have to keep their mates on side.

Did ask someone at work earlier how many were in service here? Not sure that many. Been on many 737s, as I'm sure most of us have, but not MAXs.

737 MAX banned from operating in UK airspace on 22:35 - Mar 12 with 1318 viewsJoey_Joe_Joe_Junior

737 MAX banned from operating in UK airspace on 20:59 - Mar 12 by footers

Seems very strange indeed that Boeing would deny much wrong with the planes yet be undertaking a large-scale, urgent investigation into the software at the same time.

At least that is my understanding.

The MCAS software (which is onyl installed on the 737MAX) needs looking at, as clearly it should not be kicking in during take off but if the pilots know how to override it it would not be an issue. Some of the bulletins that Boeing release are not implemented with such strict training around world as they are in the West.

Ironically MCAS is designed to save lives at the AF (Brazil) and CO (Buffalo) crash where pilots reacted to a stall by "pulling up" causing them to lose airspeed and drop out of the sky. This new software puts the nose down to regain speed if in the plane is in danger of stalling. However, you don't really want the nose being driven down by an automated system during take off, do you?
[Post edited 12 Mar 2019 22:37]
737 MAX banned from operating in UK airspace on 22:36 - Mar 12 with 1316 viewsJoey_Joe_Joe_Junior

737 MAX banned from operating in UK airspace on 22:32 - Mar 12 by footers

Did ask someone at work earlier how many were in service here? Not sure that many. Been on many 737s, as I'm sure most of us have, but not MAXs.

Lot's on order, relatively few in service. I am indirectly in this industry so pretty well versed on such matters.
737 MAX banned from operating in UK airspace on 22:37 - Mar 12 with 1315 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

737 MAX banned from operating in UK airspace on 22:06 - Mar 12 by ElderGrizzly

This isn’t a parody

I imagine the Venezuelan electricity board are in agreement!

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

737 MAX banned from operating in UK airspace on 22:42 - Mar 12 with 1299 viewsfooters

737 MAX banned from operating in UK airspace on 22:35 - Mar 12 by Joey_Joe_Joe_Junior

The MCAS software (which is onyl installed on the 737MAX) needs looking at, as clearly it should not be kicking in during take off but if the pilots know how to override it it would not be an issue. Some of the bulletins that Boeing release are not implemented with such strict training around world as they are in the West.

Ironically MCAS is designed to save lives at the AF (Brazil) and CO (Buffalo) crash where pilots reacted to a stall by "pulling up" causing them to lose airspeed and drop out of the sky. This new software puts the nose down to regain speed if in the plane is in danger of stalling. However, you don't really want the nose being driven down by an automated system during take off, do you?

Wouldn't have the foggiest, tbh! But thanks for the info, interesting. So seems to make sense why many Western airlines will continue to fly alongside Boeing's updates.

737 MAX banned from operating in UK airspace on 22:44 - Mar 12 with 1297 viewsfooters

737 MAX banned from operating in UK airspace on 22:36 - Mar 12 by Joey_Joe_Joe_Junior

Lot's on order, relatively few in service. I am indirectly in this industry so pretty well versed on such matters.

Did just check out a bit - only a few from Europe to Ireland mainly, not mainly UK fleets with many/any at present. A slight relief.

737 MAX banned from operating in UK airspace on 22:58 - Mar 12 with 1282 viewsRob88

737 MAX banned from operating in UK airspace on 22:35 - Mar 12 by Joey_Joe_Joe_Junior

Control systems isn’t my bag but as I understand it the root cause is the sensory input to the software not the software itself per se.

I should add that I am referring to the Indonesian crash, the jury is still out on airworthiness relating to the Ethiopian Airlines accident.
[Post edited 12 Mar 2019 23:00]
737 MAX banned from operating in UK airspace on 02:12 - Mar 13 with 1229 viewsJoey_Joe_Joe_Junior

737 MAX banned from operating in UK airspace on 22:58 - Mar 12 by Rob88

Control systems isn’t my bag but as I understand it the root cause is the sensory input to the software not the software itself per se.

I should add that I am referring to the Indonesian crash, the jury is still out on airworthiness relating to the Ethiopian Airlines accident.
[Post edited 12 Mar 2019 23:00]

Yes but the automation of MCAS taking control of the plane because of one false sensory reading on take off is a problem, well it is if pilots do not react quickly and just think the plane has lost control. Hence the following immediate updates as noted in the FAA's statement on Monday:

Design changes include:
 MCAS Activation Enhancements
 MCAS AOA Signal Enhancements
 MCAS Maximum Command Limit

In other words MCAS should not appear from nowhere based on one reading, like it did in Indonesia and likely Addis. I am personally not surprised this happened in during a take off @ Addis, as the airport is at a high altitude and very hot (in other words prime conditions for false sensory readings). These false readings happen more than you think in extreme conditions.

Think of MCAS as an Apple upgrade on your iPhone that slowed you down before you knew how to use it. When you work it out, you realize it is actually better for the operation of your device. But not knowing how to use it means it's initially harder to navigate until you figure it out. However this is got good if your in a cockpit and get taken by surprise.

Boeing and the FAA do know the issue, or at least that's what they told us at 3pm.
[Post edited 13 Mar 2019 2:16]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024