Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Good effort but still a little disappointing 21:50 - Mar 12 with 1337 viewsDarth_Koont

Lots of energy, movement and commitment on and off the ball and that was enough to put a stuttering Bristol City team under pressure.

But, the big failing as always, a crucial lack of quality and composure to create real chances or work the keeper. We've got to hope that the failure to do simple things when we get in the opponent's half is a result of our lack of wins but we'll need to be a lot more effective even in League One.

There are decent and skilled players in there but somehow we're as clinical as an oven mitten.

Pronouns: He/Him

Good effort but still a little disappointing on 21:57 - Mar 12 with 1285 viewsFtnfwest

I thought midfield screened the defence well but kind of had to. A lot of them put in big shifts there but in the end made Bristol look frankly less than ordinary. All that with Chalobah doing ok but not one of his better games. Jackson frightened the life out of the keeper with his closing down but not with anything else
Good effort but still a little disappointing on 22:07 - Mar 12 with 1240 viewsDarth_Koont

Good effort but still a little disappointing on 21:57 - Mar 12 by Ftnfwest

I thought midfield screened the defence well but kind of had to. A lot of them put in big shifts there but in the end made Bristol look frankly less than ordinary. All that with Chalobah doing ok but not one of his better games. Jackson frightened the life out of the keeper with his closing down but not with anything else

Agreed. We did very well keeping the ball stuck in the Bristol half for long periods. But disappointing that we rarely made that pressure pay - or look like paying.

Good effort but still a little disappointing on 01:16 - Mar 13 with 1082 viewskizaitfc

Lets put things into context, Bristol City have the joint 4th best defensive record in the league.

We are bottom of the league, so if you suddenly think we are going to knock 2 or 3 past them then you im affraid are hoping for too much.

For me the mere fact we dominated most of the game and limited them to very few chances shows that we should not be in the position we are in.

Poll: Mick in or out? (not a dig at Mick just want to see the overall opinion on here)

Good effort but still a little disappointing on 07:14 - Mar 13 with 950 viewsDarth_Koont

Good effort but still a little disappointing on 01:16 - Mar 13 by kizaitfc

Lets put things into context, Bristol City have the joint 4th best defensive record in the league.

We are bottom of the league, so if you suddenly think we are going to knock 2 or 3 past them then you im affraid are hoping for too much.

For me the mere fact we dominated most of the game and limited them to very few chances shows that we should not be in the position we are in.

No, it was in the context of the game not the season as a whole - even though this has been a constant throughout the season as we've generally played well enough to have scored more goals and won more games.

It probably is because of where we are and a crucial lack of self-belief that sees us snatch at shots, miss-control or misplace key passes or fail to beat defenders to crosses etc. But I'm still worried that this is a long time for a group of players to be so wasteful in attack - and so generous in defence. In theory, this will be easier in League One but there'll be a different pressure down there and it's a big thing to turn around.

Hopefully, we can use the rest of the season to get it out of our system.

Good effort but still a little disappointing on 07:20 - Mar 13 with 928 viewsMrTown

We’ve hardly been ruthless all season, one of the biggest failures this season, but we are playing some fantastic stuff, just that lack of cutting edge.

I think that comes as players who play together in a confident and successful team more often will find better understanding of each other’s movement.

Let’s get a b***dy striking coach in for Jackson over the summer, he good be lethal if he was more composed in front of goal.

Again he caused massive problems yesterday especially first 25. So close to being in when he pulled off Webster but the ball got stuck under his b***dy feet.

Poll: Would love to know the opinions on here now of Lambert genuinely?

Good effort but still a little disappointing on 07:22 - Mar 13 with 925 viewschristiand

Good effort but still a little disappointing on 07:14 - Mar 13 by Darth_Koont

No, it was in the context of the game not the season as a whole - even though this has been a constant throughout the season as we've generally played well enough to have scored more goals and won more games.

It probably is because of where we are and a crucial lack of self-belief that sees us snatch at shots, miss-control or misplace key passes or fail to beat defenders to crosses etc. But I'm still worried that this is a long time for a group of players to be so wasteful in attack - and so generous in defence. In theory, this will be easier in League One but there'll be a different pressure down there and it's a big thing to turn around.

Hopefully, we can use the rest of the season to get it out of our system.

The fact is we don't get enough bodies in the opponent's box to cause a problem. If you look over the game last night it's Jackson in the penalty area on his own. That's got to be some cross to pick him out time and again. It's like we just don't take a gamble to get in and support him.

Nevertheless, that was a well earned point last night against a top 6 side on their home patch. Certainly no disgrace in that or the need to be disappointed.

Poll: Where will we finish this season?
Blog: Full of Optimism and Hope, the League One Kick Off is Finally Here!

Good effort but still a little disappointing on 07:37 - Mar 13 with 896 viewsDarth_Koont

Good effort but still a little disappointing on 07:22 - Mar 13 by christiand

The fact is we don't get enough bodies in the opponent's box to cause a problem. If you look over the game last night it's Jackson in the penalty area on his own. That's got to be some cross to pick him out time and again. It's like we just don't take a gamble to get in and support him.

Nevertheless, that was a well earned point last night against a top 6 side on their home patch. Certainly no disgrace in that or the need to be disappointed.

We could get more in the box in open play. But I'm thinking more about set-pieces with 7 or 8 in there and decent delivery from Judge or Dozzell where we rarely look like getting on the end of a ball.

There's no need to be disappointed but I am because we need to turn around our results at some stage rather than always talking about good performances.

Good effort but still a little disappointing on 07:48 - Mar 13 with 870 viewschristiand

Good effort but still a little disappointing on 07:37 - Mar 13 by Darth_Koont

We could get more in the box in open play. But I'm thinking more about set-pieces with 7 or 8 in there and decent delivery from Judge or Dozzell where we rarely look like getting on the end of a ball.

There's no need to be disappointed but I am because we need to turn around our results at some stage rather than always talking about good performances.

The performances more recently are a huge improvement from what has gone on before. Remember the games when we might have had one shot on target the whole game and looked completely toothless? That happened quite often. Now we are beginning to look a different proposition things are slowly changing. You need to look at what we are, currently a side bottom of the league with 3 wins all season, yes 3 victories! There really isn't going to be this sudden miraculous turn around, but I've seen enough more recently in the manner of our performances to be encouraged for the long term, but our future will be in League One, so embrace it.

From the remaining 9 games if we can win a few of those while continuing to play a brand of good football, which PL is encouraging, that would please me.

Poll: Where will we finish this season?
Blog: Full of Optimism and Hope, the League One Kick Off is Finally Here!

Login to get fewer ads

Good effort but still a little disappointing on 07:52 - Mar 13 with 854 viewsSteve_M

Yes, agreed. We're improving in that regard I think, we forced more shots against both Reading and WBA, but still slightly lacking there. Keane's injury is unfortunate because it's come just as the attacking midfield play has started to look dynamic, add his presence up front and the threat improves.

Confidence is definitely part of it, we don't have the belief that we'll score when we attack and yet even that has improved. A month ago we hadn't managed to equalise under Lambert and now we've done so five times in a few games (one of which we managed to lose still).

Two good away draws but it wouldn't have taken a great deal more to make this an even better week.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024