Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
NFL Fans 08:32 - Mar 13 with 1584 viewsitfcjoe

Someone explain to me what the Giants are doing?

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

NFL Fans on 09:08 - Mar 13 with 1543 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

It makes absolutely no sense.

I think there’s alot more to that than public knowledge.

Poll: Would we sell out our allocation for Wembley for a PJ Trophy final?

NFL Fans on 09:45 - Mar 13 with 1496 viewsBrianTablet

NFL Fans on 09:08 - Mar 13 by The_Romford_Blue

Maybe it's like Sir Alex selling Beckham/Ronaldo when they were in their 'prime' and improving the team as a whole?

Or us selling Kieron Dyer and buying McGreal, Stewart, etc and getting promotion.

"......Paul Mariner......John Wark...... Brian Tablet...errrrrrr Talbot"
Poll: In a hellish scenario, would you rather...

NFL Fans on 11:19 - Mar 13 with 1429 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

OBJ was a distraction for them and wanted out. He’s good enough to justify it for sure, but huge offer from the Browns so I don’t actually think it’s a bad decision. They aren’t anywhere close to winning and will need to develop a rookie QB - which was likely to make Beckham more of a problem in the short term

Collins isn’t actually that good in coverage - and picking up Peppers as part of the Beckham trade instantly replaces him

I think it makes sense taking it as a given that they will be bad for the next year or two - but I guess the problem with rebuilds is they don’t always work, in which case it’ll look like a disaster if OBJ has torn it up for Cleveland and the Giants are still in the basement in 3 years time!

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

NFL Fans on 12:15 - Mar 13 with 1385 viewsWarkTheWarkITFC

Rebuilding pure and simple.

No point having a superstar on a team that's so far away from competing when it gives them a chance to bring in some more pieces and build.

No point having a massive diva when trying to rebuild either.

OBJ has presumably made it clear he wants away and wouldn't surprise me if there's something else behind this that'll come out. Browns seems a strange place for him to go but isn't he best mates with Landry?

Poll: How many points from 18 would Lambert need to have to actually be sacked?
Blog: Ipswich Town and the Rotten Kitchen Cupboards

NFL Fans on 14:21 - Mar 13 with 1305 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

NFL Fans on 12:15 - Mar 13 by WarkTheWarkITFC

No point having a superstar on a team that's so far away from competing when it gives them a chance to bring in some more pieces and build.

OBJ has presumably made it clear he wants away and wouldn't surprise me if there's something else behind this that'll come out. Browns seems a strange place for him to go but isn't he best mates with Landry?

Not sure why you think the Browns is a strange place - they have the rare mix of cap space and picks required to pickup someone like Beckham having built up a stash in the last few years, and firmly have an eye on winning with Mayfield and other pieces in place

Where would you have been expecting him to go?

NFL Fans on 14:27 - Mar 13 with 1294 viewsJoey_Joe_Joe_Junior

NFL Fans on 12:15 - Mar 13 by WarkTheWarkITFC

Wrong Cleveland is the obvious choice, they are clearly on the up have plenty of pieces in place, including last years #1 pick, they were't far off being a playoff team lat year if they had a kicker.

Yes, he played at LSU with Landry. The Browns WR coach is ex LSU as well.

The Giants were not planning to rebuild though they gave him a mega deal last year and it's almost unprecedented to be traded so soon after signing something like that. They obviously changed their mind and the reason they didn't get that much back for him was the size of the contract the Browns have to absorb for the next 4/5 years against the cap.
NFL Fans on 14:29 - Mar 13 with 1287 viewsJoey_Joe_Joe_Junior

NFL Fans on 09:08 - Mar 13 by The_Romford_Blue

Mara made plenty of comments that he wasn't impressed with how OBJ was behaving and that was after they gave him the contract. They should really think things through more before signing him to that sort of money. Poor front office management.
NFL Fans on 16:07 - Mar 13 with 1214 viewsitfcjoe

NFL Fans on 14:29 - Mar 13 by Joey_Joe_Joe_Junior

Mara made plenty of comments that he wasn't impressed with how OBJ was behaving and that was after they gave him the contract. They should really think things through more before signing him to that sort of money. Poor front office management.

This is more what I don't get about it - the mega deal, Gettelman saying he isn't going to be traded etc.

Now if a mega offer comes in that's one thing - but #17, #95 and Jabrill Peppers is hardly that is it?

You are losing one of the best WRs there is and best players in the league, getting a starter in Peppers, another starter with #17 and hopefully of landing something with the 3rd round pick.

It just seems mad to me, and giving him away - I know Giants need a rebuild, and if this pick was one that could help them land the top QB in the upcoming draft then fair enough - but with salary caps, the draft and free agaency you just do not get the chance to pick up players of Beckham's quality

Login to get fewer ads

NFL Fans on 16:28 - Mar 13 with 1192 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

NFL Fans on 16:07 - Mar 13 by itfcjoe

This is more what I don't get about it - the mega deal, Gettelman saying he isn't going to be traded etc.

Now if a mega offer comes in that's one thing - but #17, #95 and Jabrill Peppers is hardly that is it?

You are losing one of the best WRs there is and best players in the league, getting a starter in Peppers, another starter with #17 and hopefully of landing something with the 3rd round pick.

It just seems mad to me, and giving him away - I know Giants need a rebuild, and if this pick was one that could help them land the top QB in the upcoming draft then fair enough - but with salary caps, the draft and free agaency you just do not get the chance to pick up players of Beckham's quality

The new contract a few months ago makes it look bad but things have obviously changed since then - pretty obviously a case of buyers remorse on both sides

Rather than sit around with an unhappy receiver and await the inevitable blow up the Giants have bitten the bullet and moved on. I actually think the value is pretty decent - more than pretty much any WR has gone for recently and they were never going to get much more given the limited market for a big money player. Had they held onto him, gone 3-13 and had an OBJ actively seeking a trade they’d have got much less, so smart to deal him now IMO. But can completely see why their fans are p*ssed, given the message it sends

NFL Fans on 16:31 - Mar 13 with 1186 viewsKing_of_Portman_Rd

Will be fascinating to see what the Browns actually do next season.. They were one of the most entertaining sides to watch last year (always close/fun matches) and now have a 2nd year QB and an elite receiver.

But the expectation is already growing so might struggle to live up to that with a new coach at the helm.

Giants, will once again be utter garbage.
NFL Fans on 16:32 - Mar 13 with 1184 viewsitfcjoe

NFL Fans on 16:28 - Mar 13 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

The new contract a few months ago makes it look bad but things have obviously changed since then - pretty obviously a case of buyers remorse on both sides

Rather than sit around with an unhappy receiver and await the inevitable blow up the Giants have bitten the bullet and moved on. I actually think the value is pretty decent - more than pretty much any WR has gone for recently and they were never going to get much more given the limited market for a big money player. Had they held onto him, gone 3-13 and had an OBJ actively seeking a trade they’d have got much less, so smart to deal him now IMO. But can completely see why their fans are p*ssed, given the message it sends

How can they even attempt a rebuild with Manning still as their QB, and no succession plan? Because having lost Beckham, Collins and Vernon that seems to be what they are doing.

The Barkley pick looked a mistake at the time last year, and even more so now when you see how Darnold played last year in fits and starts. A RB at 2 is madness, because by definition you are a terrible team if picking there at a RB won't change much

NFL Fans on 17:01 - Mar 13 with 1154 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

NFL Fans on 16:32 - Mar 13 by itfcjoe

How can they even attempt a rebuild with Manning still as their QB, and no succession plan? Because having lost Beckham, Collins and Vernon that seems to be what they are doing.

The Barkley pick looked a mistake at the time last year, and even more so now when you see how Darnold played last year in fits and starts. A RB at 2 is madness, because by definition you are a terrible team if picking there at a RB won't change much

Surely you’ve answered your own question there - having a finished Eli Manning at QB is exactly why now is the time to rebuild

Agree re Barkley being a poor pick - I think they just saw him as too good to turn down, easily the standout player in the draft and that’s without the benefit of hindsight. No idea what you’re seeing in Darnold tbh, Mayfield aside I think last years QB class was pretty dreadful, although time will tell I guess. No doubt Giants will be drafting one this year - and they’ll be starting by week 6 in all likelihood

NFL Fans on 17:15 - Mar 13 with 1130 viewsWarkTheWarkITFC

NFL Fans on 14:21 - Mar 13 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

Not sure why you think the Browns is a strange place - they have the rare mix of cap space and picks required to pickup someone like Beckham having built up a stash in the last few years, and firmly have an eye on winning with Mayfield and other pieces in place

Where would you have been expecting him to go?

I'd love to see the Browns do well and they are currently on the up and have a lot going for them, BUT what makes it strange for me is this is OBJ - the biggest ego around - who you imagine would only leave for absolutely SB contender or for a salary that is outrageous.

Cleveland have had many false dawns. That is why they are sadly still the go to joke franchise. 0-16 and 1-15 before last season and every time they look like they should push on with lots of draft picks and huge salary cap they seem to absolutely destroy themselves.

The difference is now they look like they may not to start three more QB's this year like every other year. But I would have expected OBJ to be looking at a Steelers, Pats, Eagles, Jags, Rams, someone that's been in and around the SB or AFC / NFC championship matches recently.

Not seen the contract yet so that may explain it but he's isn't exactly a guy that strikes me as going there just to be 5-11 again. Browns could be good. But history still suggests it more likely they fall back into the insignificant pile than become legit.

Poll: How many points from 18 would Lambert need to have to actually be sacked?
Blog: Ipswich Town and the Rotten Kitchen Cupboards

NFL Fans on 17:27 - Mar 13 with 1117 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

NFL Fans on 17:15 - Mar 13 by WarkTheWarkITFC

I'd love to see the Browns do well and they are currently on the up and have a lot going for them, BUT what makes it strange for me is this is OBJ - the biggest ego around - who you imagine would only leave for absolutely SB contender or for a salary that is outrageous.

Cleveland have had many false dawns. That is why they are sadly still the go to joke franchise. 0-16 and 1-15 before last season and every time they look like they should push on with lots of draft picks and huge salary cap they seem to absolutely destroy themselves.

The difference is now they look like they may not to start three more QB's this year like every other year. But I would have expected OBJ to be looking at a Steelers, Pats, Eagles, Jags, Rams, someone that's been in and around the SB or AFC / NFC championship matches recently.

Not seen the contract yet so that may explain it but he's isn't exactly a guy that strikes me as going there just to be 5-11 again. Browns could be good. But history still suggests it more likely they fall back into the insignificant pile than become legit.

OBJ couldn’t go to a Pats, Rams, Steelers, Eagles or Jags because none of those teams were in for him

The Browns were - and undoubtedly look a better bet than the Giants in both the short and medium term. The only advantage the Giants have is the being in New York but - but OBJ seemed to spend a lot of his time in LA anyway

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024