Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Brexit is not going to happen (n/t) 19:57 - Mar 13 with 22684 viewsunstableblue

This post has been edited by an administrator

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

Brexit is not going to happen (n/t) on 20:50 - Mar 13 with 5815 viewsfabian_illness

Can’t we just forget the whole thing ever happened and carry on as normal?
Brexit is not going to happen (n/t) on 20:50 - Mar 13 with 5815 viewslowhouseblue

Brexit is not going to happen (n/t) on 20:49 - Mar 13 by Herbivore

We'll still leave. Tonight will scare the ERG and DUP into backing May's deal.

someone has to blink.

And so as the loose-bowelled pigeon of time swoops low over the unsuspecting tourist of destiny, and the flatulent skunk of fate wanders into the air-conditioning system of eternity, I notice it's the end of the show

Brexit is not going to happen (n/t) on 20:54 - Mar 13 with 5805 viewsHerbivore

Brexit is not going to happen (n/t) on 20:50 - Mar 13 by lowhouseblue

someone has to blink.

And it'll be them, they are the least principled and most spineless of a pretty morally-vacant and spineless bunch.

It will be hugely ironic when a third vote on May's deal goes through after two huge defeats when those same folks backing the deal have said a second vote on a narrow referendum result would be a betrayal of democracy. It's also using precisely the 'bullying' techniques to force votes through that they've accused the EU of using.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Brexit is not going to happen (n/t) on 20:55 - Mar 13 with 5804 viewsXYZ

Brexit is not going to happen (n/t) on 20:49 - Mar 13 by Joey_Joe_Joe_Junior

He was in power and ran on the manifesto of a referendum, correct? a referendum was then had?

A referendum which was advisory. Parliament notes the result and gets on with its business. That's democracy UK style and has been for as long as …

Suck it up. Stiff upper lip, old man. It's the British way.
Brexit is not going to happen (n/t) on 20:59 - Mar 13 with 5791 viewsZedRodgers

Brexit is not going to happen (n/t) on 20:23 - Mar 13 by Pinewoodblue

Not if the EU rejects a request to extend A 50. Leaving on 29th March is still on the statute.

They won’t reject it. They wouldn’t purposely give the go ahead for the sh1tshow that would follow.

No, not at the moment

Brexit is not going to happen (n/t) on 21:03 - Mar 13 with 5780 viewslowhouseblue

Brexit is not going to happen (n/t) on 20:54 - Mar 13 by Herbivore

And it'll be them, they are the least principled and most spineless of a pretty morally-vacant and spineless bunch.

It will be hugely ironic when a third vote on May's deal goes through after two huge defeats when those same folks backing the deal have said a second vote on a narrow referendum result would be a betrayal of democracy. It's also using precisely the 'bullying' techniques to force votes through that they've accused the EU of using.

spot on.

And so as the loose-bowelled pigeon of time swoops low over the unsuspecting tourist of destiny, and the flatulent skunk of fate wanders into the air-conditioning system of eternity, I notice it's the end of the show

Brexit is not going to happen (n/t) on 21:06 - Mar 13 with 5764 viewsJoey_Joe_Joe_Junior

Brexit is not going to happen (n/t) on 20:55 - Mar 13 by XYZ

A referendum which was advisory. Parliament notes the result and gets on with its business. That's democracy UK style and has been for as long as …

Suck it up. Stiff upper lip, old man. It's the British way.

But part of his manifesto of which he was elected? Poor take
Brexit is not going to happen (n/t) on 21:09 - Mar 13 with 5748 viewsLord_Lucan

Brexit is not going to happen (n/t) on 20:47 - Mar 13 by Joey_Joe_Joe_Junior

It is now when you live in a country that doesn't honor a public vote.

If it never happens the United Kingdom is not a democracy.

I think it's 50/50 that we will ever leave and I still hope we don't.

That said, despite all the high fives and all the bending and swerving going on, the fact remains that you are correct and I think it is a disgrace, at some point their will be large scale civil unrest, it will take over a generation to heal and I will probably never vote in any election again in my sad sorry life.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Login to get fewer ads

Brexit is not going to happen (n/t) on 21:10 - Mar 13 with 5748 viewsXYZ

Brexit is not going to happen (n/t) on 21:06 - Mar 13 by Joey_Joe_Joe_Junior

But part of his manifesto of which he was elected? Poor take

Blame him for not giving you the vote you thought he had.

Not a great line to take when JRM is running around making the same point - the law is the statute. On this point he's correct. Unfortunately for him it demolishes what he's said about the referendum.
Brexit is not going to happen (n/t) on 21:42 - Mar 13 with 5691 viewsWeWereZombies

Brexit is not going to happen (n/t) on 21:09 - Mar 13 by Lord_Lucan

I think it's 50/50 that we will ever leave and I still hope we don't.

That said, despite all the high fives and all the bending and swerving going on, the fact remains that you are correct and I think it is a disgrace, at some point their will be large scale civil unrest, it will take over a generation to heal and I will probably never vote in any election again in my sad sorry life.

But if you, and people like you, do not vote then you are handing power to others who may well be happy with the status quo that has brought about this shambles.

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

Brexit is not going to happen (n/t) on 21:58 - Mar 13 with 5666 viewsLord_Lucan

Brexit is not going to happen (n/t) on 21:42 - Mar 13 by WeWereZombies

But if you, and people like you, do not vote then you are handing power to others who may well be happy with the status quo that has brought about this shambles.

I don't care.

I want a revolution.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Brexit is not going to happen (n/t) on 22:28 - Mar 13 with 5620 viewsScuzzer

Just like relegation?
Put these threads on General please not Football

Established 1968

Brexit is not going to happen (n/t) on 22:34 - Mar 13 with 5609 viewsStokieBlue

Some rumours that the ERG will vote for the deal in the next "meaningful" vote on the condition that May resigns.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Brexit is not going to happen (n/t) on 22:37 - Mar 13 with 5595 viewslowhouseblue

Brexit is not going to happen (n/t) on 22:34 - Mar 13 by StokieBlue

Some rumours that the ERG will vote for the deal in the next "meaningful" vote on the condition that May resigns.

SB

i suspect if you were may that would start to feel like a win win.

Brexit is not going to happen (n/t) on 22:45 - Mar 13 with 5576 viewsgazzer1999

Brexit is not going to happen (n/t) on 20:04 - Mar 13 by factual_blue

People in mobility scooters rioting? Interesting.

Explain your comment.
Brexit is not going to happen (n/t) on 22:52 - Mar 13 with 5560 viewsSwansea_Blue

Brexit is not going to happen (n/t) on 20:50 - Mar 13 by fabian_illness

Can’t we just forget the whole thing ever happened and carry on as normal?

Yes. We'd have to repeal A50, but that's not so difficult. And then be VERY apologetic. Maybe pick up some boxes of Milk Tray and a few bunches of flowers from the WH Smiths at the Eurostar terminal and take them out to the next EU summit, or something like that.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Brexit is not going to happen (n/t) on 22:55 - Mar 13 with 5559 viewsSpruceMoose

Brexit is not going to happen (n/t) on 22:45 - Mar 13 by gazzer1999

Explain your comment.

It's tough to kettle 500 pensioners on mobility scooters. They take up a massive area and it's bad optics to be seen blasting them in the face with rubber bullets.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

Brexit is not going to happen (n/t) on 22:56 - Mar 13 with 5556 viewsSpruceMoose

Brexit is not going to happen (n/t) on 22:52 - Mar 13 by Swansea_Blue

Yes. We'd have to repeal A50, but that's not so difficult. And then be VERY apologetic. Maybe pick up some boxes of Milk Tray and a few bunches of flowers from the WH Smiths at the Eurostar terminal and take them out to the next EU summit, or something like that.

How about adopting the Euro?

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

Brexit is not going to happen (n/t) on 22:58 - Mar 13 with 5551 viewsSwansea_Blue

Brexit is not going to happen (n/t) on 22:56 - Mar 13 by SpruceMoose

How about adopting the Euro?

I like Europeans, but I'm not sure I want to start looking after their kids

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Brexit is not going to happen (n/t) on 01:01 - Mar 14 with 5491 viewsSarge

Good. Democracy is overrated, democracy values the quantity of opinions and not the quality. 500 people telling you to drink the mysterious liquid should not overrule the scientist telling you it’s poison. Democracy gets you a Trump amongst others.

It’s honour btw ;)
Brexit is not going to happen (n/t) on 01:08 - Mar 14 with 5476 viewsXYZ

Brexit is not going to happen (n/t) on 01:01 - Mar 14 by Sarge

Good. Democracy is overrated, democracy values the quantity of opinions and not the quality. 500 people telling you to drink the mysterious liquid should not overrule the scientist telling you it’s poison. Democracy gets you a Trump amongst others.

It’s honour btw ;)

Perhaps you could suggest an alternative?
Brexit is not going to happen (n/t) on 01:19 - Mar 14 with 5460 viewsSarge

Brexit is not going to happen (n/t) on 01:08 - Mar 14 by XYZ

Perhaps you could suggest an alternative?

It’s called Sargeocracy, it’s a working title.

Decisions are taken via a council of learned people, experts and leaders in the field in question. They will use their knowledge of the domain to solve any problems, the general public may be consulted but it will be purely for interest. A government should be for the people, it doesn’t need to be by them.

There are many high level decisions that are made without the knowledge of the public, decisions around defence and national security are the ones I’m involved with but obviously there are more. These are usually made based on logic and not emotion, something the general public struggles with. Brexit should not be an emotional issue, unfortunately it has become one which has led to a mess.
Brexit is not going to happen (n/t) on 05:25 - Mar 14 with 5401 viewsRyorry

Brexit is not going to happen (n/t) on 20:49 - Mar 13 by Joey_Joe_Joe_Junior

He was in power and ran on the manifesto of a referendum, correct? a referendum was then had?

He was in power and ran on a self-interested vote to keep himself & his Tory mates in power, despite being repeatedly advised by Tusk that he was taking a massive gamble which stood a high chance of not actually working out as Cameron (who wanted us to remain) wanted. As it ironically turned out, Cameron' majority in that GE was much higher than even he anticipated, so Nick Clegg (who would have vetoed the referendum - a get-out without losing face that Cameron was relying on) didn't get back in to form the coalition that had been expected.

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Brexit is not going to happen (n/t) on 05:29 - Mar 14 with 5396 viewsm14_blue

48% of people voted to remain, 46% of people voted for Trump.

You might need to relocate again if you’re looking for some pure democracy.

The UK is a representative democracy, the referendum should never have happened. That said, I actually agree that to go against that vote, without asking the people at the very least, would be a mistake.
Brexit is not going to happen (n/t) on 07:18 - Mar 14 with 5342 viewsWeWereZombies

Brexit is not going to happen (n/t) on 01:19 - Mar 14 by Sarge

It’s called Sargeocracy, it’s a working title.

Decisions are taken via a council of learned people, experts and leaders in the field in question. They will use their knowledge of the domain to solve any problems, the general public may be consulted but it will be purely for interest. A government should be for the people, it doesn’t need to be by them.

There are many high level decisions that are made without the knowledge of the public, decisions around defence and national security are the ones I’m involved with but obviously there are more. These are usually made based on logic and not emotion, something the general public struggles with. Brexit should not be an emotional issue, unfortunately it has become one which has led to a mess.

Yours is not a new idea, it has been best espoused by Plato (420s to 340s BCE) in his 'Republic' but generally accepted that, whilst interesting to think about, it leads to tyranny in practice.

Although 'the tyranny of the majority' that John Stuart Mill explained in 'On Liberty' is worth considering in relation to all this. It is one of the reasons that you need checks and balances in any democratic system.

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024