Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Really confused now - Zed said they would push for a 2nd Referendum 18:00 - Mar 14 with 15901 viewspickles110564

As it was agreed in their party conference, i said at the time Corbyn would not allow it.
i was shouted down by several saying that Corbyn would back one, how come they have just rejected the vote to have one?
Really confused now - Zed said they would push for a 2nd Referendum on 23:01 - Mar 14 with 2937 viewsElderGrizzly

Really confused now - Zed said they would push for a 2nd Referendum on 19:31 - Mar 14 by ZedRodgers

Things should be even clearer for you since the official People’s Vote campaign have said pushing for a 2nd ref tonight was a waste of time.

You can’t have a 2nd referendum without deciding on what would fill the void next to remain on the ballot paper. It doesn’t make any sense. HoC need to decide on what leaving is first. The votes over the last 3 days have effectively mean there is no leave option at the moment. Campaigning for a 2nd ref which asks “do you want to stay in the EU or carry on trying to find a way of leaving?” is utter nonsense and would have even less support in the HoC than the people’s vote amendments/motions which have already failed.

Sleep on it and come back to me.

Agree to an extent, but this looks farcical to an outsider

Really confused now - Zed said they would push for a 2nd Referendum on 23:05 - Mar 14 with 2925 viewsRyorry

Really confused now - Zed said they would push for a 2nd Referendum on 23:01 - Mar 14 by ElderGrizzly

The whole of the UK must look like a gigantic mental hospital to the other 27 & those sitting in Brussels!!

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Really confused now - Zed said they would push for a 2nd Referendum on 23:07 - Mar 14 with 2920 viewsfooters

Really confused now - Zed said they would push for a 2nd Referendum on 23:01 - Mar 14 by ElderGrizzly

It really doesn't when you understand the meaning of each vote in the House and what it means.

You vote on what is being brought to the table. That is the extension. Bringing anything else into it muddies the debate.In fact, the Speaker denied an amendment today for precisely that reason- its remit didn't fit the vote that was about to take place and was therefore not relevant.

The campaign for the People's Vote have said as much.

Who cares about 'outsiders'? Many wanted parliamentary sovereignty, now they're getting it.

footers QC - Prosecution Barrister, Hasketon Law Chambers
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Really confused now - Zed said they would push for a 2nd Referendum on 23:18 - Mar 14 with 2892 viewsRyorry

Really confused now - Zed said they would push for a 2nd Referendum on 20:10 - Mar 14 by No9

Confirmed, you don't understand the parliamentary process
& it's begining to show that you have no idea what brexit means

Think it's harsh to criticize anyone for not understanding when it's not only so complex but also situation changing so rapidly - sometimes by the hour, never mind the day. I'd say those who don't understand what's going on at any given moment are in a far greater majority than 52%, and even include some MPs - and myself!!

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Really confused now - Zed said they would push for a 2nd Referendum on 23:19 - Mar 14 with 2887 viewsPinewoodblue

Really confused now - Zed said they would push for a 2nd Referendum on 23:05 - Mar 14 by Ryorry

The whole of the UK must look like a gigantic mental hospital to the other 27 & those sitting in Brussels!!

Especially when you realise that the chief whip abstained in the final vote and the Brexit minister, who ended the debate and urged MPs to vote for the motion , went into the lobby and voted against it.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Really confused now - Zed said they would push for a 2nd Referendum on 23:21 - Mar 14 with 2884 viewsfooters

Really confused now - Zed said they would push for a 2nd Referendum on 23:18 - Mar 14 by Ryorry

Think it's harsh to criticize anyone for not understanding when it's not only so complex but also situation changing so rapidly - sometimes by the hour, never mind the day. I'd say those who don't understand what's going on at any given moment are in a far greater majority than 52%, and even include some MPs - and myself!!

Mentioned to a colleague earlier that, despite being a politics grad and having followed it for many years, there are many, many things of which I'm either being reminded or taught completely new! Brexit, if nothing else, should be a lesson for all in how our democracy works.

Might ask Father Christmas for a copy of Erskine May...

Really confused now - Zed said they would push for a 2nd Referendum on 23:27 - Mar 14 with 2862 viewsAbujaBlue

Really confused now - Zed said they would push for a 2nd Referendum on 23:21 - Mar 14 by footers

Mentioned to a colleague earlier that, despite being a politics grad and having followed it for many years, there are many, many things of which I'm either being reminded or taught completely new! Brexit, if nothing else, should be a lesson for all in how our democracy works.

Might ask Father Christmas for a copy of Erskine May...

The sooner people realise that Corbyn, Milne and their Unite mates hate everything the EU stands for (and always have) the better. His non-show during the referendum debate should have been evidence enough.

Really confused now - Zed said they would push for a 2nd Referendum on 23:34 - Mar 14 with 2845 viewsfooters

Really confused now - Zed said they would push for a 2nd Referendum on 23:27 - Mar 14 by AbujaBlue

The sooner people realise that Corbyn, Milne and their Unite mates hate everything the EU stands for (and always have) the better. His non-show during the referendum debate should have been evidence enough.

Well, sausage, that's where you're wrong. The Labour Party does not elect a president; it works on mutually agreed policy from conference and its hundreds of thousands of members' input. Unlike the Tories.

Oh, the Tories- May the Remainer. Shurely she must be working with the EUSSR to scupper the deal?

Corbz is merely doing what his members tell him, much like May- only she doesn't have to.

So, what is your position? Are you anti-EU, pro-EU, or what- your post doesn't make clear? If you are pro, then may I suggest that Labour is your only option for remaining? If against, may I suggest that the alternative party has a Remainiac as its leader?

What say you.

P.S. Do not expect a reply tonight as I've just polished off my vino x

Login to get fewer ads

Really confused now - Zed said they would push for a 2nd Referendum on 00:00 - Mar 15 with 2829 viewsAbujaBlue

Really confused now - Zed said they would push for a 2nd Referendum on 23:34 - Mar 14 by footers

Well, sausage, that's where you're wrong. The Labour Party does not elect a president; it works on mutually agreed policy from conference and its hundreds of thousands of members' input. Unlike the Tories.

Oh, the Tories- May the Remainer. Shurely she must be working with the EUSSR to scupper the deal?

Corbz is merely doing what his members tell him, much like May- only she doesn't have to.

So, what is your position? Are you anti-EU, pro-EU, or what- your post doesn't make clear? If you are pro, then may I suggest that Labour is your only option for remaining? If against, may I suggest that the alternative party has a Remainiac as its leader?

What say you.

P.S. Do not expect a reply tonight as I've just polished off my vino x

I am definitely the latter. But you are right, I gave Corbyn far too much credit in suggesting that he acts on his own accord, he has a number of influences. Wouldn't it be lovely to think that he faithfully does the bidding of his members though? A rosy thought but I am far more cynical.

The reality is he fully under the influence of his spin-doctor Seumas Milne who is as anti-EU as they get. Len McClusky and his beacon of democracy, Unite, had already warned Corbyn not to even entertain the thought of a second referendum.

So I must respectfully disagree with you that Labour is the only way for Remainers to turn and I just feel sorry for youngsters who put faith in the Labour Party believing it so.
Really confused now - Zed said they would push for a 2nd Referendum on 06:54 - Mar 15 with 2763 viewsgordon

Really confused now - Zed said they would push for a 2nd Referendum on 19:31 - Mar 14 by ZedRodgers

Things should be even clearer for you since the official People’s Vote campaign have said pushing for a 2nd ref tonight was a waste of time.

You can’t have a 2nd referendum without deciding on what would fill the void next to remain on the ballot paper. It doesn’t make any sense. HoC need to decide on what leaving is first. The votes over the last 3 days have effectively mean there is no leave option at the moment. Campaigning for a 2nd ref which asks “do you want to stay in the EU or carry on trying to find a way of leaving?” is utter nonsense and would have even less support in the HoC than the people’s vote amendments/motions which have already failed.

Sleep on it and come back to me.

Not sure this argument is defensible - why not a motion which says 'the terms on which we leave the European union, when agreed, should be put to public vote to confirm that this is the will of the people'.

Seems straightforward to me. There's a chance now that May's deal passes next week and that's that.
Really confused now - Zed said they would push for a 2nd Referendum on 07:43 - Mar 15 with 2737 viewsZedRodgers

Really confused now - Zed said they would push for a 2nd Referendum on 06:54 - Mar 15 by gordon

Not sure this argument is defensible - why not a motion which says 'the terms on which we leave the European union, when agreed, should be put to public vote to confirm that this is the will of the people'.

Seems straightforward to me. There's a chance now that May's deal passes next week and that's that.

It’s too open-ended.

If Labour’s amendment on for a People’s Vote on May’s deal failed in January then what you’re suggesting is even less likely to win over any other Tory votes, which is what’s required.

What makes you think May’s deal will overcome a loss of 150 votes next week, especially now that HoC has voted to request an extension? I feel that your “and that’s that” might be slightly premature.

No, not at the moment

Really confused now - Zed said they would push for a 2nd Referendum on 08:00 - Mar 15 with 2728 viewsmrshallisfit

I'd focus on your own bunch of clueless cretins, i.e. the party that had led us into the disaster that is Brexit and mismanaged it so badly subsequently.
Really confused now - Zed said they would push for a 2nd Referendum on 09:07 - Mar 15 with 2695 viewspickles110564

Really confused now - Zed said they would push for a 2nd Referendum on 08:00 - Mar 15 by mrshallisfit

I'd focus on your own bunch of clueless cretins, i.e. the party that had led us into the disaster that is Brexit and mismanaged it so badly subsequently.

Just remind me how many MP's voted against us starting the A50 process?
Really confused now - Zed said they would push for a 2nd Referendum on 09:12 - Mar 15 with 2688 viewsmrshallisfit

Really confused now - Zed said they would push for a 2nd Referendum on 09:07 - Mar 15 by pickles110564

Just remind me how many MP's voted against us starting the A50 process?

God what a poor argument. Not worth engaging if that is all you have got.
Really confused now - Zed said they would push for a 2nd Referendum on 09:17 - Mar 15 with 2676 viewsButterbing

Really confused now - Zed said they would push for a 2nd Referendum on 07:43 - Mar 15 by ZedRodgers

It’s too open-ended.

If Labour’s amendment on for a People’s Vote on May’s deal failed in January then what you’re suggesting is even less likely to win over any other Tory votes, which is what’s required.

What makes you think May’s deal will overcome a loss of 150 votes next week, especially now that HoC has voted to request an extension? I feel that your “and that’s that” might be slightly premature.

I wouldn’t be surprised if some of the MPs who voted for May’s deal second time around may go back to voting against it now that there is an agreement by MPs to request an extension to article 50. Removing the threat of an imminent no deal may make May’s deal less appealing again for those that switched.

I also just cannot see how the DUP could ever vote for this deal given that they believe it goes against their fundamental reason for political existence.
Really confused now - Zed said they would push for a 2nd Referendum on 09:33 - Mar 15 with 2660 viewspickles110564

Really confused now - Zed said they would push for a 2nd Referendum on 09:17 - Mar 15 by Butterbing

I wouldn’t be surprised if some of the MPs who voted for May’s deal second time around may go back to voting against it now that there is an agreement by MPs to request an extension to article 50. Removing the threat of an imminent no deal may make May’s deal less appealing again for those that switched.

I also just cannot see how the DUP could ever vote for this deal given that they believe it goes against their fundamental reason for political existence.

How quick can they change the law so we do not leave on the 29th March 2019?
If that does not change a vote to extend does not matter, we will still leave on the 29th.
Really confused now - Zed said they would push for a 2nd Referendum on 09:35 - Mar 15 with 2657 viewsHerbivore

Really confused now - Zed said they would push for a 2nd Referendum on 09:33 - Mar 15 by pickles110564

If that does not change a vote to extend does not matter, we will still leave on the 29th.

We won't leave on the 29th, it's not happening.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Really confused now - Zed said they would push for a 2nd Referendum on 09:36 - Mar 15 with 2655 viewsButterbing

Really confused now - Zed said they would push for a 2nd Referendum on 09:33 - Mar 15 by pickles110564

It all depends on whether the EU agrees to extend article 50. It is probable that they will. However, if they don’t it is possible that we could either crash out without a deal or revoke article 50.
Really confused now - Zed said they would push for a 2nd Referendum on 09:41 - Mar 15 with 2637 viewspickles110564

Really confused now - Zed said they would push for a 2nd Referendum on 09:35 - Mar 15 by Herbivore

We won't leave on the 29th, it's not happening.

That was not my question, it is enshrined in LAW that we leave on the 29th March 2019.
My question was how quick can they get that law changed?
If they dont we will still leave on the 29th.
Really confused now - Zed said they would push for a 2nd Referendum on 09:42 - Mar 15 with 2636 viewsWeWereZombies

Really confused now - Zed said they would push for a 2nd Referendum on 09:36 - Mar 15 by Butterbing

It all depends on whether the EU agrees to extend article 50. It is probable that they will. However, if they don’t it is possible that we could either crash out without a deal or revoke article 50.

It would be just desserts if the ERG and DUP were the ultimate cause of the revocation of Article 50 but I cannot see that happening as a result of a third defeat for May's deal.

This all gives the EU quite a bargaining chip if there is anything they want before March 29th, doesn't it?

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

Really confused now - Zed said they would push for a 2nd Referendum on 09:42 - Mar 15 with 2633 viewspickles110564

Really confused now - Zed said they would push for a 2nd Referendum on 09:36 - Mar 15 by Butterbing

How long would the process of revoking A50 take please? And what is that process?
Really confused now - Zed said they would push for a 2nd Referendum on 09:45 - Mar 15 with 2618 viewslowhouseblue

Really confused now - Zed said they would push for a 2nd Referendum on 09:42 - Mar 15 by pickles110564

How long would the process of revoking A50 take please? And what is that process?

I think you have to say revoke three times while turning round in front of a mirror?

And so as the loose-bowelled pigeon of time swoops low over the unsuspecting tourist of destiny, and the flatulent skunk of fate wanders into the air-conditioning system of eternity, I notice it's the end of the show

Really confused now - Zed said they would push for a 2nd Referendum on 09:51 - Mar 15 with 2604 viewsButterbing

Really confused now - Zed said they would push for a 2nd Referendum on 09:42 - Mar 15 by pickles110564

I'm not a political lawyer but as I understand it the house would just need to pass a motion to do this. Presumably, this is theoretically still possible. As I stated earlier it is probable that the EU will accept our request for an extension to Article 50 so revoking Article 50 is not actually being considered. It does raise an interesting question though. If the EU were to reject our request for an extension on the basis that there is no reason to extend (the best deal they will offer has been rejected) could we revoke Article 50 then go back to the drawing board and re-start the process with a better idea and a required outcome that has a chance of succeeding?
[Post edited 15 Mar 2019 9:52]
Really confused now - Zed said they would push for a 2nd Referendum on 09:59 - Mar 15 with 2590 viewsZedRodgers

If the EU does happen to reject the extension, our MPs would likely choose revoking Article 50 over crashing out without a deal if presented with choice.

From the votes this week it's clear that only 250ish Tories + 10ish others maximum would support no deal. I genuinely believe that the parliament would choose the option to revoke if it arises when we're stood on the edge of the cliff and there is no other alternative.

I'm not saying it would be the end of Brexit or even that it would be a preferable outcome for remainers. It would be an extension of the mess. There would be nothing stopping us triggering Article 50 again after revoking it - Essentially it could be framed as an extension that we don't need the EU to approve, if they do now reject our request. I dare say Mr Barnier and his colleagues would be far from pleased though.

No, not at the moment

Really confused now - Zed said they would push for a 2nd Referendum on 10:05 - Mar 15 with 2584 viewsZedRodgers

Article 50 can be revoked anytime up to 29th March.

A vote would be needed in parliament sometime between now and then.

No, not at the moment

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024