Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The telegraph's take on Suffolk pubs 20:01 - Mar 14 with 2193 viewsGeoffSentence

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/destinations/europe/united-kingdom/england/ea

Mind you they gratuitously include a Norfolk pub and claim Waldringfield as being in 'Ipswich and Constable Country', so not too well informed.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

The telegraph's take on Suffolk pubs on 21:24 - Mar 14 with 2103 viewsWeWereZombies

You have to sign up to read the article - any chance you could just list the ten pubs they choose - the photo they let you see suggests The Ship at Blaxhall but the door to the outside looks wrong for it to be.

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

The telegraph's take on Suffolk pubs on 23:04 - Mar 14 with 2005 viewsSporall

The telegraph's take on Suffolk pubs on 21:24 - Mar 14 by WeWereZombies

You have to sign up to read the article - any chance you could just list the ten pubs they choose - the photo they let you see suggests The Ship at Blaxhall but the door to the outside looks wrong for it to be.

Inland Suffolk
Wingspan Bar, The Angel, Bury St Edmunds

There’s nothing like a proper basement bar for a night of illicit merry-making, and the Wingspan Bar at the very comfy Angel hotel in the centre of Bury is the place for just that, serving decent cocktails and pretty much anything you could wish for in the vaulted undercroft of this ancient coaching inn. We’re not sure why but it’s decorated with an aviation theme — with a bar fashioned out of an aircraft engine and tables from airplane doors — but it only adds to its charm and intrigue. Good for both pre- and after-dinner drinks.

Opening times: From 5pm on Saturday, 6pm on Thursday, Friday, Sunday
Prices: ££

Pop into the Wingspan Bar for a bit of illicit merry-making

- The best festivals and events in Suffolk

—— ADVERTISEMENT ——

The Locks Inn, Geldeston

On the banks of the river Waveney, which forms the border between the two counties, the Locks Inn is technically a few metres into Norfolk on the north bank of the river, but is such a legendary local joint we had to include it, with regular live music, specifically Sunday afternoon sessions, folk nights and a thousand other inventive offerings to lure you here. It feels very remote, and is one of the few pubs that is easiest to reach by river — by ferry from the riverside in Beccles.

Opening times: Late-October—March, Thursday—Sunday, 12pm—5pm; April—early-October, Monday—Friday, 12pm—11pm and Saturday/Sunday, 11am—11pm
Prices: £

The Locks Inn hosts a folk music night on Sundays

Stoke-by-Nayland Hotel

This family-run hotel in the heart of rural Suffolk (it's owned by the Copella juice family, whose orchards surround the hotel) has been hosting their live 'Fleece Jazz' nights for a decade now, and they attract some of the most popular performers on the British jazz scene. Tickets cost just £15—£20, and their cosy bar is a great place for pre-gig refreshments — as indeed is the restaurant, overlooking the sumptuous grounds of the hotel. They also offer great-value 'jazz packages' if you want to make a night of it.

Opening times: Friday, 7.30pm—11.30pm
Prices: ££

Head to the Stoke-by-Nayland Hotel for a fun evening of jazz and good food

- The best nightlife in Suffolk

The King’s Head, Laxfield

A proper pub, and one of our favourites in Suffolk, this ancient watering-hole on the green in the pretty central Suffolk village of Laxfield was proclaimed 'Adnams Pub Of The Year' a few years ago, and is unusual in that it has no bar — just a room full of barrels that staff disappear into to get your order while you make yourself comfy in one of the pub’s wood-panelled rooms. There is also good food, served in a separate dining room and the whole venue feels very friendly, and especially cosy on a winter’s night.

Opening times: Daily, 12pm—11pm

- The best experiences in Suffolk

The Bell at Sax, Saxmundham

A coaching inn in the classic sense of the phrase, the long-established Bell at Sax is the beating heart of the small, sleepy town of Saxmundham, dispensing good cheer to a bar full of thirsty locals and serving good quality affordable food in its next door dining room. It’s been revitalised in recent years by chef-patron Jonny Nicholson (whose most recent venture is the excellent Sail Loft in Southwold) and the bar is always busy and buzzing — unlike the rest of the town, which to be honest can be pretty quiet at night.

Opening times: Daily 10am—11pm
Prices: £

Quench the thirst in the buzzing bar of the Bell at Sax CREDIT:CHRISTOPHER GROVER

- The best free things to do in Suffolk

Coastal SuffolkDP’s, Aldeburgh

Aldeburgh is full of restaurants but does not have a brilliant selection of places to enjoy a tipple — with the exception, that is, of the legendary DP’s Bar, whose pristine art deco interior has, among other things, been used as a chemist and a book shop and now hosts live music events, the occasional quiz night and serves brilliant Thai street food in the courtyard outside every summer. Even when there’s nothing happening, there’s a friendly boho vibe that is in pleasant contrast with Aldeburgh’s otherwise largely vanilla offerings.

Opening times:

- The best experiences in Brighton

Ramsholt Arms, Ramsholt

About five miles south of Woodbridge, this riverside pub sits right on the Deben estuary, an idyllic location with big picture windows and a large terrace overlooking the water. Having undergone a major revamp, it has been spruced up to no end with simple wooden tables providing a place to sit and get lost in the marvellous view outside. If you’re looking for an evening out at a country pub, with really good food too, you'd need look no farther. It is perhaps the most ideal spot to enjoy the sunset on a late summer evening by the river.

Opening times: Monday—Thursday, 12pm—3pm; Friday and Saturday, 12pm—3pm and 5pm—10pm; Sunday, 11.30am—7pm
Prices: 

The Ramsholt Arms not only serves delicious food but has a superb river view to accompany it

- The best experiences in York

Ipswich and Constable CountryDove Street Inn, Ipswich

Just a short walk from both the swanky waterfront and town centre, the Dove Street Inn is without doubt one of Ipswich’s best local pubs, renowned for its selection of draft ales (including its own brews) and a wide and interesting choice of bottled beers from around the world. It’s deceptively large inside, with a back room and courtyard and a cosy bar in the front, and they host regular beer festivals and other events throughout the year. They also serve a hearty menu of chilli, curries, pies and the like.

Opening times: Daily, 12pm—10.45pm
Price: £

- The best nightlife in York

Maybush Inn, Waldringfield

Owned by the same folk as the Butt & Oyster in Pin Mill on the Shotley Peninsula, along with a number of other scenic local pubs, this is a gloriously situated riverside boozer about 10 miles from Ipswich, with a brilliant location right on north bank of the Deben river. Enjoy a pint or two and perhaps a bite to eat (they do great nibbles as well as all the usual pub favourites) on its large terrace overlooking the masts and grassy banks of the tranquil river. A lovely location for a summertime drink by the river.

Opening times: Monday—Saturday, 9am—11pm; Sunday, 9am—10.30pm

- The best restaurants in Brighton

Arcade Street Tavern, Ipswich

Right in the centre of Ipswich town, around the corner from the Corn Exchange, this diminutive bar has fast made a name for itself on the local craft beer scene, with an ever-changing range of cutting-edge brews on tap and literally hundreds by the bottle. They also have a huge gin menu, and host regular themed DJ nights at the weekends. They don’t serve food, apart from bar snacks, unless you are lucky enough to coincide with one of their 'Streetfood Fridays', when local vendors are invited in to sell their wares to hungry punters.

Opening times: Tuesday, 11am—3pm; Wednesday-Thursday, 11am—11pm; Friday, 11am-12am; Saturday, 11am—1am
The telegraph's take on Suffolk pubs on 23:19 - Mar 14 with 1989 viewsfooters

Not going to reply to Sporral's post to save space, but the Geldeston is fcking fabulous. Any border types will likely know but you other searchers of decent boozers would do well to venture north, especially if you like folk music and camping (which I don't).

And like any proper pub they'll let you fill empty milk bottles to take away :D

footers QC - Prosecution Barrister, Hasketon Law Chambers
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

The telegraph's take on Suffolk pubs on 23:45 - Mar 14 with 1946 viewsStochesStotasBlewe

The telegraph's take on Suffolk pubs on 23:19 - Mar 14 by footers

Not going to reply to Sporral's post to save space, but the Geldeston is fcking fabulous. Any border types will likely know but you other searchers of decent boozers would do well to venture north, especially if you like folk music and camping (which I don't).

Blimey, i had forgotten about The Geldeston. Been a year or two since i was there.

Big shout out to The Ramsholt Arms. Great pub & dog friendly. No haslet on the menu though chap!!!

We have no village green, or a shop. It's very, very quiet. I can walk to the pub.

The telegraph's take on Suffolk pubs on 06:42 - Mar 15 with 1814 viewsWeWereZombies

The telegraph's take on Suffolk pubs on 23:45 - Mar 14 by StochesStotasBlewe

Blimey, i had forgotten about The Geldeston. Been a year or two since i was there.

Big shout out to The Ramsholt Arms. Great pub & dog friendly. No haslet on the menu though chap!!!

I get annoyed whenever The Ramsholt Arms is given a mention, it used to be my Suffolk secret to take a loved one to on a sunny afternoon. Nowadays the place is crowded out and parking is a nightmare.

I reckon the photo at the top of the article is The Kings Arms in Laxfield then as that village is another decent place for traditional Suffolk music.

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

The telegraph's take on Suffolk pubs on 06:46 - Mar 15 with 1806 viewsBlueBadger

I used to get up to Geldeston a lot in my younger days, terrific place.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

The telegraph's take on Suffolk pubs on 06:52 - Mar 15 with 1790 viewsStochesStotasBlewe

The telegraph's take on Suffolk pubs on 06:42 - Mar 15 by WeWereZombies

I get annoyed whenever The Ramsholt Arms is given a mention, it used to be my Suffolk secret to take a loved one to on a sunny afternoon. Nowadays the place is crowded out and parking is a nightmare.

I reckon the photo at the top of the article is The Kings Arms in Laxfield then as that village is another decent place for traditional Suffolk music.

Tend to visit The Ramsholt in winter on occasional Sundays. Usually find after a bracing dog walk it is not to busy being so isolated. I believe it only opens weekends during the colder months although i may be mistaken.

We have no village green, or a shop. It's very, very quiet. I can walk to the pub.

The telegraph's take on Suffolk pubs on 08:12 - Mar 15 with 1699 viewsMeadowlark

It's called "The Locks" by us locals, not "The Geldeston" as mentioned by a few.

Surprised The Stanford Arms in Lowestoft isn't mentioned which in both 2017 & 2018 was named runner-up as CAMRA national pub of the year! But probably not a pub for Telegraph types.
Login to get fewer ads

The telegraph's take on Suffolk pubs on 08:15 - Mar 15 with 1694 viewsitfcjoe

I think the list of pubs is pretty good, picked a number of my favourites int here and a good variety

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

The telegraph's take on Suffolk pubs on 08:30 - Mar 15 with 1679 viewslowhouseblue

The telegraph's take on Suffolk pubs on 21:24 - Mar 14 by WeWereZombies

I think you'll find that that's the lowhouse!

And so as the loose-bowelled pigeon of time swoops low over the unsuspecting tourist of destiny, and the flatulent skunk of fate wanders into the air-conditioning system of eternity, I notice it's the end of the show

The telegraph's take on Suffolk pubs on 08:32 - Mar 15 with 1675 viewsGuthrum

They're wondering why a pub in the middle of East Anglia might have a aviation theme??

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

The telegraph's take on Suffolk pubs on 08:32 - Mar 15 with 1667 viewsnodge_blue

The telegraph's take on Suffolk pubs on 08:12 - Mar 15 by Meadowlark

It's called "The Locks" by us locals, not "The Geldeston" as mentioned by a few.

Surprised The Stanford Arms in Lowestoft isn't mentioned which in both 2017 & 2018 was named runner-up as CAMRA national pub of the year! But probably not a pub for Telegraph types.

We used to call it Geldeston Lock - which nicely falls between the two.

Poll: best attacking central midfielder?

The telegraph's take on Suffolk pubs on 09:03 - Mar 15 with 1608 viewsGeoffSentence

And there is always the option of a bit of wild swimming if you are that way inclined.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024